PDA

View Full Version : WTF?

Slider
04-21-2005, 09:39 AM
Ok, got bored, so I broke out my lil wizard for the first time since GS4 went live. Re-allocated him as a pure spell-caster,(before he swung more than he cast), thought I did a pretty good job, here's his skills at 23;

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 105 25
Arcane Symbols.....................| 105 25
Magic Item Use.....................| 105 25
Spell Aiming.......................| 150 50
Harness Power......................| 150 50
Elemental Mana Control.............| 105 25
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 105 25
Survival...........................| 90 20
Perception.........................| 105 25
Climbing...........................| 90 20
Swimming...........................| 50 10
First Aid..........................| 105 25

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 10

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 20

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 20

Run him out to zombies to try him out...and is it just me, or are bolt spells about as worthless as tits on a boar? Damn near went through 5-8 casts of minor fire to kill one lousy zombie?!?! And that's with a spell AS of 213? (their DS is 118 btw). Am I doing something wrong here...or are wizards just fucked?

Gan
04-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Some spells work better on some creatures vs. other creatures. Did you try major fire, acid, major cold, or whatever that major lightning (whatever its called) as well?

Acid is one of my favorite spells in damage:mana cost.

Just a few thoughts.

Kitsun
04-21-2005, 10:39 AM
It could be due to bad luck, with our spells hitting random areas, you need some luck to burn off something critical.

Not sure how you're going to train out spells the next couple levels but:
513 will add another 20AS or so
425 another 25AS

You probably would've found 513 more useful than 920, 919 and 918.

If you're getting pinched for mana, grab some gold wands and a high level wizard to shove 40 charges in. They can supplement a hunt pretty darn well at your level.

Slider
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
yup, I tried acid, water, minor and major shock, major fire and ice...even 510...that hurl boulder thing. Was trying out a bit of everything. Wanted to see what would work best. Truth be told, I was having better luck in steel golems using minor shock. Eh...and your probably right about 513. Dang it. Didn't even think about that. Oh well, re-allocate next month and try it again I guess.

hectomaner
04-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Slider

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Harness Power......................| 150 50
Elemental Lore - Fire..............| 105 25
Survival...........................| 90 20
Perception.........................| 105 25
Climbing...........................| 90 20
First Aid..........................| 105 25

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 10

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 20

here is your problem.

armor use: if you are casting, drop it to 4 ranks. all you need

harness power: 25 of those ranks are costing 0/8 each and only getting 1 mana per rank of them

Elemental Lore : Fire : worthless, period

survival/first aid: either train 3x or more between the two of these, or dont train at all (unless survival is for hunting icemule or first aid for herbs/tending). skinning is different now. you need about 3x between FA/Survival for it to really be worthwhile in my opionion. 3.5x-4x is optimal

perception : why are you 1x in this? only benefit is to see thieves stealing from you. keep containers closed, dont carry coin in town. the first time i ever saw a benefit from having 20 ranks in perception was at level 50 on the glacier in ta'illistim, and helping get gold dust. seems like you could lower it to like .5x if you really want it. does kinda help when looking for hidden ares though, but at a younger age, dont think you'll need to worry much yet

climbing : almost 1x in this. drop it to .5x save a few extra TPs that you dont need to spend yet

Major Elemental : this is why you have a lower bolt AS. you dont even have elemental focus (513) let alone getting any bonus that it provides from extra ranks in this spell circle. bring this up as close to level as possible

Minor Elemental :s you will want to keep at level at least until you get 430. 425 will add a nice bonus to your CS and bolt AS (25 base plus bonus of .5 per spell over 425 up to 76 ranks) and some DS/TD from 430. i'd reccomend keeping this at 1x until level 76

hectomaner
04-21-2005, 12:14 PM
note: you will get an automatic +20 to your bolt AS from 513, with a bonus of +.5 AS per spell rank over 513 capped at your level

Theyesman
04-21-2005, 12:20 PM
BTW: only dumb fuckwad wizards hunt zombies. Goto arch wights in mule or Anwyn and you'll wreck them.

hectomaner
04-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Theyesman
BTW: only dumb fuckwad wizards hunt zombies. Goto arch wights in mule or Anwyn and you'll wreck them.

anwyn will fucking wreck a 23 train wizard

i'd stay out of there till 25/26

xainthax
04-21-2005, 05:36 PM
All of Hecto's training advice is pretty solid.

You aren't a *pure* wizard unless you are close to 3x spells.

Xain

hectomaner
04-21-2005, 06:41 PM
i was 3x until this last train, had to get some other skills for the sake of money making

theyesman is 3x too. he r smart

Askip
04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I agree with hectomaner except for one point:

<< you need about 3x between FA/Survival for it to really be worthwhile in my opionion. 3.5x-4x is optimal >>

Perhaps it's only at higher levels but I've found 1x each works well for me. However, I do not always skin high quality pelts, just a steady income. :D