PDA

View Full Version : Spelling others up...

Meos
09-21-2003, 02:18 PM
What are your thoughts, I have no problem helping people that help me, healers, locksmiths. But when I cast some spells for a friend, I hate it how everyone thinks I'm handing out spells... I usally end up spellin the people up for a hour or 2 and fight the urge to kill them... is that so wrong... that's just me. How about you people?

GSLeloo
09-21-2003, 02:19 PM
It's not wrong. People end up using you. It's like you offer once and then every time they want spells they ask you, no matter what you're doing, and then they ask you to spell your friends up. And it gets to the point that it's really really annoying.

GemstoneFan
09-21-2003, 02:23 PM
You're too nice. Don't spell em up. Go invis and whisper to your pals and then spell them, that way the pathetic spellbeggars don't start in.

I make it a special point to never beg for spells, and I find as a result that I'm more apt to be helped by my friends that are able to anyways.

Spellbegging is a special pet peeve of mine. If you can't hunt it without spells then you shouldn't BE hunting it.

Solkern
09-21-2003, 02:23 PM
You spell them up once, it's pretty much saying you'll spell'em up whenever, just next time, go, i'm spelling him up, and we are heading out to hunt, I need my mana, sorry

Hips
09-21-2003, 02:56 PM
What I hate the most is when I'm giving friends colors, and then random people join my group.

ARGH! WTF?! I don't even KNOW these people and they're joining me. Go AWAY!!

Skirmisher
09-21-2003, 03:17 PM
Close group.

Grab friends.

Glance at the intruder and continue as before.

[Edited on 9-21-2003 by Skirmisher]

Hips
09-21-2003, 03:19 PM
I know, I know. You shouldn't have to do that though. :/

Scott
09-21-2003, 03:37 PM
I don't spell anyone up unless they are just starting out in the cul-de-sac having no clue what's going on. This is simply because I know it would be rough to be brand new to the game and dying all the time because you haven't figured out some tatics yet. Otherwise I give them an evil glare and say no. If they ask again I'll give them every negative spell I can without killing them.....

LaVaca
09-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Sintik's weak.

Artha
09-21-2003, 03:59 PM
prep 910
cast at asker
say Oops, wrong spell. Sorry.

Skirmisher
09-21-2003, 04:10 PM
As it takes time and energy on the part of the caster to cast whatever spells the persons want, they should have the courtesy to NOT ask for spells unless very close friends.

I nearly never get many spells and those my non casting characters do get are almost always paid for.

I do not "ask" for spells, but instead hire out the services of a spellcaster.

Revalos
09-21-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm on the flipside. I don't mind one bit if someone asks me for spells. I don't care who they are, if they ask nicely, they'll get them.

Heh, people like me are probably the reason that you folks that don't like it get hassled so much.

I also don't live in the Landing, which probably is the reason I'm still so nice. If it postpones my hunt, I don't mind.

Now me asking for spells, that's also a different story. I have done it on occasion, but there's a pretty good reason for it. I'm 71 trains. That's just about too old for Bonespear, which is a cakewalk anyway, and I still get my ass handed to me in Illoke selfcast. If I didn't get spells, I probably would die twice as much. Not many options for someone of my training on the mainland west of the Dragonspine.

Now, mind you, I only ask in Solhaven before I go, and I generally know the person I'm asking to begin with, but the principle remains the same in my mind.

Tendarian
09-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
What I hate the most is when I'm giving friends colors, and then random people join my group.

ARGH! WTF?! I don't even KNOW these people and they're joining me. Go AWAY!!

I dont really care if i have spells or not. But i dont see a problem with that as the spell costs the same no matter how many join not? If it annoyed me that much id just cast the spell at a table or someplace somewhat private.

Dont get me wrong i have a spell caster and it annoys me too when people i dont know ask for spells. Just if i am casting mass guards for a few, a couple more dont really matter.

Meos
09-21-2003, 05:28 PM
I'll just have to make an example out of a few people I guess...

Caramia
09-21-2003, 06:11 PM
[q]Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

ARGH! WTF?! I don't even KNOW these people and they're joining me. Go AWAY!![/quote]

Gee, simple solution. Don't toss spells on your friends in public areas, then strangers won't harass you. In the time it takes to disband, close your group and regrab people, as others advise here, you can avoid aggravation by simply moving to a less populated room. What a silly thing to whine about.

Khaitiff
09-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Meos I'm all with ya brother..... I hate spell beggers, if they cant hunt without them then they have to learn how to underhunt till they get old enough to survive.

Artha
09-21-2003, 06:17 PM
If you need spells to survive, and you're not a caster, you're doing something wrong.

StrayRogue
09-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Same with second accounts.

Dighn Darkbeam
09-21-2003, 09:13 PM
I will spell up a locksmith as a tip if requested. I will give spells freely in an invasion. I will spell up my shira'qa if I decide to take her hunting. All other times I do not give my defensive spells away.

I also never join in group spells except in invasions, and will only accept mana during invasions to be used in spelling others up.

Squares are balanced when they are selfcast. They are unbalanced with a full complement of spells.

Kris na Su'ta

Betheny
09-21-2003, 09:22 PM
If you cast spells in a public area then it's your duty to tell spell beggars off. That simple.

Solkern
09-21-2003, 09:24 PM
See go to the park and start sleeping people and be like, well when i cast other spells you beg for'em so come on BEG for this spell!

Betheny
09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Now that clerical spell ups suck I have very little problem with anyone asking for spells.

Solkern
09-21-2003, 09:25 PM
Start giving out binds, blinds and silences!

ElanthianSiren
09-21-2003, 10:29 PM
I used to spell up friends and family with my casters and that was it. Everyone else could get bent. The sheer number of people in GS who will be your friends cuz you have something they want is staggering. But I would also go out of my way to help youngins who didn't pester me for help and made a few really good friends that way.

-Melissa

CrystalTears
09-21-2003, 10:34 PM
Heh, this is why I don't play a spellcaster because I've seen what my fiance goes through and I can't stand it. People only need me to open boxes and those are about a dime a dozen. :P

Khaitiff
09-22-2003, 06:07 AM
Well thats becaue your Trade is something you earn money from and also learning. Its not like us spell casters are the local wise men/women who get paid to keep the crops from going bad and whatnot with our magic.

AnticorRifling
09-22-2003, 11:34 AM
I spell people up I don't have a problem with it. As long as they aren't idiots. I've never had a problem with spelling others up. I'm a nice guy unless I'm hunting. When I hunt and you bother me I'll direct my aggression towards you but when the blade is in the sheath I'm more than happy to help.

Hasek
10-29-2003, 04:41 PM
It works both ways. I understand why casters hate casting on people they dont know and friends because of the use and abuse situation. But yet if I cast for a rogue or warrior I may need to open a box or bash that I cant get done otherwise.

I think discretion is the best thought here. Caramia has the right idea in that if you want to cast for friends do it at a table or social house. That way you dont use RL time of 1-2 hrs in spoiling your own gaming enjoyment.

Even though my spells dont last long I try to help people out but put a limit on my generousity. We all need to evaluate on a cast by cast basis. Every caster has the right to say no. And those that do should not get mouthed at but be respected. Same for those that are very generous. Manners here people and respect.

Latrinsorm
10-29-2003, 04:49 PM
When I had a cleric, I would give beggars the magical red aura (302) and make up some story about it. Does that still work with Bane? Does it matter?

decisions, decisions

Moist Happenings
10-30-2003, 09:31 AM
I don't really have a problem with giving out a full four hours of most of my spells, simply because when i'm in the landing i'm too old to hunt anything in the area anyway, so i'm never really using my mana. I'll give spells to anyone who asks politely, and has proven to me that they aren't an idiot. *glance Dalloriel* I can see how it might be frustrating to be asked when you're much in need of your mana, though. I don't see a problem if the person offers to send, however.

Kurili
10-30-2003, 11:27 AM
No, with bane/smite, you might do them some serious damage. Same if you accidentally cast it on yourself. Like when a wind wraith knocks you down, you go to recast the airwall and forget you already have smite prepped.

OUCH!

Acolyte Kurili

Morstanya
10-30-2003, 11:39 AM
I don't really believe in having a set of rules for spelling others up. I take it one situation to the next depending on my mood and circumstance. Someone asking for 'spellies' or 'brillies' is NOT going to get them. People that whisper to me for something specific, instead of asking outloud for whatever is around, are a lot more likely to get aid.

On occasion I've refrained from spelling people because I saw a lot of bored empaths around and I figured if I spelled the people asking, they'd come back unwounded. On the other hand, when the only empath around was someone I disliked, I've spelled everyone that asked.

Sometimes people that ask and get ignored get annoyed, and start in on me or 'older folks' in general. That can result in a nice little disease (which I remove before it kills them). It all depends on the situation if you ask me.

Morstanya, Icewitch.

Drew2
10-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Even though I have 4 spells I can put on others, and 2 of them are not stackable, it gets rather annoying then the same few people ask me every hour on the hour for spells. It's not that it's much a waste of my time or mana, but it's like asking "Are we there yet?" from the back of a car. It's harmless, doesn't take much time to deal with, but it gets old, fast.

If I get bored I usually start tossing out spells anyway, so it's rare I HAVE to be asked, but when I am, over and over, I feel like giving them certain spells from the upper Minor Spirit circle (Unbalance, web).

10-31-2003, 08:29 AM
here is a simple soultion ask them what is in it for you? most scoff and walk away others will give ya something in return... and no I dont accept mana I have enough

Betheny
10-31-2003, 09:41 AM
You could do the Tayre and ignore them.

EmpressBtch
11-05-2003, 10:26 AM
So.....has anyone else infused everything but that one last mana then prep a spell costing more than 10 mana....'Oh darn I just blew my nerves and there's not an empath around'. I almost miss the days when wall of force wasn't just self-cast....right up until I remember the day a rat hunter in the park asked me for 3 hours of walls. WTF do you need walls in rats for?

AnticorRifling
11-05-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by EmpressBtch
So.....has anyone else infused everything but that one last mana then prep a spell costing more than 10 mana....'Oh darn I just blew my nerves and there's not an empath around'. I almost miss the days when wall of force wasn't just self-cast....right up until I remember the day a rat hunter in the park asked me for 3 hours of walls. WTF do you need walls in rats for?

Have you seen those rats?! They are frickin huge, with pointy teeth and sharp claws and... well look at the bones!

EmpressBtch
11-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Sorry must've gotten my rats confused with taints. My bad.

GuildRat
11-05-2003, 02:36 PM
ahahahaha....you said taint!!!