PDA

View Full Version : Nalfein Kitten Design Contest!

Kitsun
04-20-2005, 05:58 PM
Welcome to the Nalfein Kitten Design Contest!

I thought it would be fun to hold a small design contest. I’d love to see how people envision a certain outfit in text and I wouldn’t ask people to spend time on it with no reward! So there’s a prize!

Have you ever played Soul Calibur 2? Excellent game! Taki’s grey outfit is the hot.

Conceptual Art here:
http://taki.kelpie.nu/gallery/sc2/07.jpg

Screenshot from Character Selection Screen here – scroll down to Soul Calibur 2 and its Costume 2:
http://taki.kelpie.nu/costumes.php

Prizes:
1st Place – 1 million silvers
2nd Place – 500,000 silvers
3rd Place – 250,000 silvers

Conditions:
The outfit has to comply with the alterations rules in Gemstone! So its shorts with shows or longs.

Outfit Specifics:
However you want to slice and dice the outfit to be appropriate is fine.
Armor – I can’t even tell what category, if you design it, I’ll find a way!
She does have two blades, Rekki-Maru and Mekki-Maru that you can include.
If you want to do the whole kit and caboodle you can try the features too!

Deadline:
Entry must be submitted to one of the following by Midnight Eastern on May 14th:
U2U’d to Kitsun at http://forum.gsplayers.com/today.php
Emailed to GrieverX3@play.net
Posted on the PlayersCorner in the contest thread (This might not be good unless you’re so confident that you want to demoralize your competition!)
Questions can go to one of the above or IM me at KitsunX

Q&A:
Q: So who’s judging this?
A: Me! They’re my coins, darnit.

Q: Do you prefer longs or shows?
A: Doesn’t matter as long as it looks good!

Q: Are you going to be a freak and try to get these outfits done?
A: Hey, you have your oddities, I have mine.

Q: So my submission was in, where's my money?!
A: Eeesh, give me a couple days to sift through all the entries! How can you guage perfection in a single night!

[Edited on 4-24-2005 by Kitsun]

HouseofElves
04-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Oooo. Exciting.

Pallon
04-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Disturbing, yet fascinating

Charna
04-20-2005, 10:40 PM
This was really fun, I don't normally come here or read here but I figured what the heck.

(helmet)A lacquered black leather skullcap trailing a multitude of broad niveous silk streamers

(shoulder armor)A set of black lacquered pauldrons ~ Boiled leather, rounded and lacquered to form a shoulder basket, have been fitted with two rectangular guards. Each guard is painted to a pure ebony finish then inlaid with the image of two double slashes stacked beneath a diamond. Silken skeins of steel grey wind their way through each pauldron and are fitted with ironwood toggles that aid in binding the pieces to each shoulder.

(cloak worn)A high-collared short folded robe ~ Panels of contrasting silk form perfect pleats around a high collar of pure white silk, folded for stiffness. Whorls of golden fabric paint create interwoven designs that dance across the white silk of the left panel. As the white panel is laid across the black, the patterns mesh to form a seamless design reminiscent of broad stroke calligraphy scores.

(elbow armor)a set of ebony and steel vambraces ~ Designed to fit snuggly under the pauldron and over the bracers, this elbow armor is sleek in design without any outward appearance of an edge. Boiled leather disks of pure ebony cup closely to elbow and have been painted with geometric designs of a steely grey then lacquered for to create a high shine.

(forearm armor)some lacquered dark ironwood bracers ~ Narrows slivers of polished steel are set into curved ironwood bracer to form twin teardrop patterns that have been elongated to cover the entire forearm. Steel grey and ebon silk streamers wave through slender holes in the ironwood to form sturdy, snug fitting straps, which when worn, hold the protective pieces into place.

(gauntlets)A set of russet knuckle guards ~ Intricate straps and slender modwir buckles bind this simple set of guards across the back of the hand. Ridges, that near perfectly mimic overlapping serpent scales, line the back of the hand guard and are trimmed in golden paint.

(waist) A double-folded wide silk sash dyed steel grey

(leg worn) A pair of reinforced leg greaves ~ Plates of lacquered modwir, fire hardened and dyed a steel grey, are bounded to rigid leather leg wraps. Russet silken straps lash each piece in place as well as a the curved boiled leather knee guard that is painted with the faint silver design of a diamond within a diamond.

(foot) Some thigh-high black suede boots with split toes outlined in white

A crimson-wrapped steel wakizashi ~ Sharkskin strips dyed a deep crimson form a double cross braid upon a tsuka of polished ironwood. Etched diamond designs are inlaid upon the seppa and are reflected in the blackened tsuba. Thin geometric patterns dance across the polished steel of the blade and offer a fascinating contrast to the sharpened edge.

Kitsun
04-21-2005, 10:48 AM
Great googly moogly a submission already!

To HouseofElves - I had hoped it would be! *nudge* Get to work on a design!

To Pallon - Are you talking about my contest or your avatar?

To Charna - I would comment but I don't want to influences people's designs! I really didn't even imagine anyone would submit a design so soon. I didn't think anyone would actually post one either! If I owned my own business I'd so try to hire you...

HouseofElves
04-21-2005, 01:15 PM
This weekend. -_- So many papers to do before then for school.

spunkmonk
04-24-2005, 12:15 AM
You see Taki the Ninja.
She appears to be a Human of the Fu-Ma Clan.
She has dark tilted eyes and tanned skin. She has very long, jet black hair tied into a loose ponytail with a red hair-tie.
Her face is concealed by a red cloth.
She is holding an ornate-hilted ninja sword in her right hand, and an ornate-hilted ninja sword in her left hand.
She is wearing some riveted black leather pauldrons clasped together by a steel bar, some steel armbands featuring crowns of deadly talons that face downward around her arms, some deep red body-leathers, some thick deep red gloves, a steel forearm guard, some mesh-lined steel leg-guards, and some sandals.

04-24-2005, 12:43 AM
Spawn on the Xbox version is sick.

I would be dat [edit] IG, if I could.

Kitsun
04-24-2005, 01:04 AM
Hehehe.

I wonder how long it'd take me to convince a merchant to make me ninja swords!

fallenSaint
04-24-2005, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Kitsun
Hehehe.

I wonder how long it'd take me to convince a merchant to make me ninja swords!

Just as soon as you convince us that your not going to be wearing these outfit designs IRL...

Kitsun
04-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Darn you, go away fallenSaint and keep your nasty fantasies to yourself.

StrayRogue
04-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by spunkmonk
You see Taki the Ninja.
She appears to be a Human of the Fu-Ma Clan.
She has dark tilted eyes and tanned skin. She has very long, jet black hair tied into a loose ponytail with a red hair-tie.
Her face is concealed by a red cloth.
She is holding an ornate-hilted ninja sword in her right hand, and an ornate-hilted ninja sword in her left hand.
She is wearing some riveted black leather pauldrons clasped together by a steel bar, some steel armbands featuring crowns of deadly talons that face downward around her arms, some deep red body-leathers, some thick deep red gloves, a steel forearm guard, some mesh-lined steel leg-guards, and some sandals.

You actually have no idea about alteration guidlines do you :rolleyes:

Kitsun
04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Only about 2 weeks left to make an entry! Hurry! Huuuuurry!

Kitsun
05-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Only a little over one week left!

Elraena
05-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Oh just might have to dream something up for this >^..^<

Kitsun
05-09-2005, 10:24 PM
Only a handful of days left!

Second to last bump! Honest.

DCSL
05-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Alright, whew. Took me four resting/hunting periods to hammer this out. I went by the conceptual art rather than the screen capture 'cause.. well.. it's easier to see stuff so I can describe it!

You see Taki the Ninja.
She appears to be a Human.
She appears to be young and short. She has almond-shaped, obliquely slanting black eyes and dusky cream skin. She has long, slick raven black hair with feathery bangs cut straight across her forehead. She has a triangular face, an upturned nose, and distinct cheekbones.
She is in good shape.
She is wearing a trailing pale silk ribbon hair-tie, some rounded black rolaren pauldrons, a petite pale silk sleeveless robe, a narrow-sleeved black cotton shirt, some extended polished steel bracers, some layered black rolaren thigh-guards, a pair of gold silk-tied leg greaves of polished steel, some thigh-high black cotton split-toe stockings, and a pair of thick-soled leather thong sandals.

a trailing pale,silk ribbon,hair-tie (Kept it 15/15/15 so maybe the All Tressed up stuff could be used.)

some rounded,black rolaren,pauldrons
The pauldrons are rounded plates of highly polished black rolaren designed to be fastened to the shoulders with silver-rimmed black suede straps. The bottom edges of each pauldron are anchored to the arms with stiffened black linen strips embroidered with silver, tied upside down so the loose ends flare upwards, displaying their simple patterns.

a sleeveless,short pale silk,robe or (Couldn't decide!)
a high-collared,petite silk,robe
a petite pale,silk sleeveless,robe
Lustrous silvery white silk has been cut to form a hip-length sleeveless robe with a high, stiff collar. Metallic gold embroidery flows over its surface in stylized clouds, blending subtlely over the garnet-hued background of the robe's borders. Four strategically placed slashes in the front, sides, and back ensure ease of movement no matter how tightly tied the robe is with its wide grey sash.

or (I couldn't decide on this, either.)

a thigh-length sleeveless white silk robe with a high stiff collar

a narrow-sleeved black cotton shirt (Just a short long.)

some extended,polished steel,bracers
Smooth steel curves to fit the forearms with extensions meant to cover the backs of the hands and rounded plates for the elbows. Every piece is covered with gold and eahnor inlay in simple but skillfully rendered patterns. The steel forms a loop for the wrists but black cotton strips tie across the palms and at each elbow to keep the bracers secure.

some layered,black rolaren,thigh-guards
Three solid black rolaren plates form each thigh-guard, layered one over the other with rounded points upward. Lengths of dark gold silk wind through slots at the edges of each plate, holding them together before being used to fasten the whole to the legs.

a pair of gold silk-tied leg greaves of polished steel

some thigh-high black cotton split-toe stockings

a pair of thick-soled leather thong sandals

Kitsun
05-10-2005, 03:57 AM
Eeeee heeheee! Entries!

:heart:

Kitsun
05-13-2005, 03:07 PM
Under 48 till entry period closes!

Kitsun
05-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Okay, I had a total of six entries submitted, in no particular order except chronological...

Charna, Ren, fallenSaint, Dextra, Uniani, Petroglyph.

Since I managed to gather up more coins than I thought I'd have at this point, I'm going to be handing out prizes. Probably out to sixth place!

So NYAAAA to people who didn't enter!

I'll be sifting through the items today and hopefully have my decision by sometime tomorrow.

Kitsun
05-15-2005, 06:07 PM
We have winners!

Grand Prize of 1,000,000 goes to Dextra!
Second Prize of 500,000 goes to Uniani!
Third Prize of 300,000 goes to Charna!

Petroglph, Ren and fallenSaint will get runner up rewards of 200,000 each!

HarmNone
05-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Great contest, Kitsun! Thanks for running it! :)

Congratulations to the winners...all of ya! :clap:

DCSL
05-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Thank you and congratulations to the other winners, too! I wanna see all the entries!

Kitsun
05-16-2005, 11:19 AM
This is probably close to what the end result will be. I mixed and matched entries and fiddled with some. Items list at the bottom but not in the two looks will probably be accessories or seasonal or something.

I want to thank all the participants for their work!

Its odd that no one has contacted me about their prize yet...

You see Taki.
She appears to be a human.
She appears to be very young and shorter than average. She has slanting obsidian-hued eyes and dusky cream skin. She has long, straight raven black hair with feathery bangs cut straight across her forehead.
She is in good shape.
She is holding a despanal-set slender rolaren tanto in her right hand and a despanal-set dark rolaren wakizashi in her left hand.
She is wearing some rounded black rolaren pauldrons, a set of sleek crossed fel back-scabbards, a high-collared short folded robe, a dense black linen tunic with long narrow sleeves, some lacquered dark ironwood bracers, a set of russet knuckle guards, some wrapped black linen fingerguards, a double-folded wide silk sash, some layered black rolaren thigh-guards, a pair of thigh-high black linen stockings with split-toes, and some thigh-high black suede boots with split toes outlined in white.

You see Taki.
She appears to be a human.
She appears to be very young and shorter than average. She has slanting obsidian-hued eyes and dusky cream skin. She has long, glossy black hair gathered into a fountaining ponytail at the crown of her head secured with a ribbons trailing a multitude of broad niveous silk streamers
She is in good shape.
She is holding a despanal-set slender rolaren tanto in her right hand and a despanal-set dark rolaren wakizashi in her left hand.
She is wearing some etched black rolaren pauldrons, a set of slender crossed back scabbards wrapped with silk, a thigh-length sleeveless white silk robe with a high stiff collar, a fine midnight black cotton shirt, some lacquered dark ironwood bracers, A set of russet knuckle guards, some wrapped black linen fingerguards, a double-folded wide silk sash, some dark sectioned thigh-guards, some thigh-high black cotton split-toe stockings, and a pair of padded black suede footwraps beneath thong sandal.

Uniani She has tilted obsidian-hued eyes and dusky fair skin.
Dextra She has almond-shaped, obliquely slanting black eyes and dusky cream skin.
Dextra She has long, slick raven black hair with feathery bangs cut straight across her forehead.
Petroglyph She has perfectly straight, glossy black hair gathered into a fountaining ponytail at the crown of her head and secured by some long dove grey silk hair ribbons.
Dextra a trailing pale silk ribbon hair-tie
Uniani a silver-edged ebonwood haircomb with gauze ribbons trailing from square carved ends
Charna A lacquered black leather skullcap trailing a multitude of broad niveous silk streamers
Uniani a high chased steel collar ~ Chased steel has been fashioned for a high metal collar that encircles the back and sides of the neck. On either side of the wide front opening, two ebonwood latches rest so the guard can be secured to armor at the shoulders. Barely visible at the inside is a lining of gold silk, adding addition comfort to the wearer.
fallenSaint A set of/ crossed wooden/ back-scabbards SHOW: The scabbards are carved out of a soft hued (wood) each provide sheathing for a short bladed weapon. The scabbards are arranged in a manner that when secured to the backside it would leave one hilt at the waistline and the other just over the shoulder. A elegant ebon silk binds the scabbards together as well as wrapping their surface masking the wood underneath.
Ren some silk-wrapped crossed back scabbards
Uniani some steel-edged ebonwood pauldrons ~ Lacquered deep black ebonwood has been carved to encircle the upper arm as a band, fastening with a narrow strip of ebony suede. A pair of thick ebonwood guards arch upwards from the band, each of their square carved ends reinforced with an outline of steel. The misty grey steel has been inlaid within the wood to design a diamond seated above a set of parallel slits, the pattern repeating on each of the guards.
Dextra some rounded,black rolaren,pauldrons SHOW: The pauldrons are rounded plates of highly polished black rolaren designed to be fastened to the shoulders with silver-rimmed black suede straps. The bottom edges of each pauldron are anchored to the arms with stiffened black linen strips embroidered with silver, tied upside down so the loose ends flare upwards, displaying their simple patterns.
Petroglyph some ora-etched/black rolaren/pauldrons SHO: Two narrow rolaren armbands each serve as the anchor for a trio of rectangular plates that curve upward to protect the wearer's shoulders. Lines of grey ora trace simple geometric patterns across the midnight black backdrop, adding to the stark appearance of the sharp-edged plates.
Uniani a pair of chased steel arm-greaves ~ A circular disc forms the head of the greaves, parting two square carved ebonwood guards. The slender fit of the metal moves down the forearm to encircle the wrist broadly in a trio of steel plates, stapped together with dense gold strips of linen. Along the surface, the misty steel offers a foggy reflection muting any light that strikes it.
Charna some lacquered dark ironwood bracers ~ Narrows slivers of polished steel are set into curved ironwood bracer to form twin teardrop patterns that have been elongated to cover the entire forearm. Steel grey and ebon silk streamers wave through slender holes in the ironwood to form sturdy, snug fitting straps, which when worn, hold the protective pieces into place.
Uniani some wrapped black linen fingerguards ~ Lengths of thick ebony linen wrap around the hand and in between each of the digits several times. Carefully interspersed along the fabric are thin chains of black steel which serve to connect to a filigree piece of steel that rests on the back of the hand. The fabric encircles the edges of the steel, holding it in place, before fastening with a knot at the wrist.
Charna A set of russet knuckle guards ~ Intricate straps and slender modwir buckles bind this simple set of guards across the back of the hand. Ridges, that near perfectly mimic overlapping serpent scales, line the back of the hand guard and are trimmed in golden paint.
Dextra a sleeveless,short pale silk,robe SHOW: Lustrous silvery white silk has been cut to form a hip-length sleeveless robe with a high, stiff collar. Metallic gold embroidery flows over its surface in stylized clouds, blending subtlely over the garnet-hued background of the robe's borders. Four strategically placed slashes in the front, sides, and back ensure ease of movement no matter how tightly tied the robe is with its wide grey sash.
Dextra a thigh-length sleeveless white silk robe with a high stiff collar
Charna A high-collared short folded robe ~ Panels of contrasting silk form perfect pleats around a high collar of pure white silk, folded for stiffness. Whorls of golden fabric paint create interwoven designs that dance across the white silk of the left panel. As the white panel is laid across the black, the patterns mesh to form a seamless design reminiscent of broad stroke calligraphy scores.
Charna A double-folded wide silk sash dyed steel grey
Uniani a dense black linen tunic with long narrow sleeves
Petroglyph a fine midnight/black cotton/shirt SHOW:Finely woven but unadorned, the shirt bears the subtle gleam of sateen. Three gold buttons run down the back of the high collar, allowing it to part just widely enough to slip over the wearer's head. In contrast to the close-fitting neck and torso, the sleeves hang loosely from the shoulders, though black silk ribbons pull them tight at the wrists.
fallenSaint An elegant/ white silk/ jerkin SHOW: Folds of soft white silk are cut and trimmed to fit snuggly without hampering movement. The trimming is embroidered with an elegant black and gold design branching outward at various points across the remainder of the jerkin. A supported grey silk collar stands straight from the neckline its hue matching perfectly to the tightly pulled belt.
Dextra some layered,black rolaren,thigh-guards SHOW: Three solid black rolaren plates form each thigh-guard, layered one over the other with rounded points upward. Lengths of dark gold silk wind through slots at the edges of each plate, holding them together before being used to fasten the whole to the legs.
Uniani some polished ebonwood thigh-guards ~ Triangular discs of ebonwood have been polished and connected by gilded rivets, layering over each other. Each of the discs is secured by a dense gold strip of linen that fastens in the back.
Petroglyph some layered/black rolaren/thighguards SHOW: Thick straps of gilded leather lace overlapping rolaren plates into a pair of heavily reinforced thighguards. Each plate extends a handspan above its lower neighbor and curves to a gently rounded point, offering a touch of elegance to the otherwise unadorned and utilitarian piece of armor.
fallenSaint Some/ sectioned/ haidate (thigh-plates) SHOW: Black silk strands are tightly woven together to create thigh pads. Thick black leather is banded around the underlying silk in three separate, overlapping sections. Nearly invisible a series of runes has been inked across their surface in a deep ebon hue.
Uniani a pair of chased steel leg-greaves ~ A circular disc forms the head of the greaves attaching to two plates of steel that wrap around the calves. The front of the ankle is guarded by a filigree steel plate. Along the surface, the misty steel offers a foggy reflection muting any light that strikes it. Each of the steel plates are strapped together with a dense gold strip of linen, allowing them to be adjusted to the wearer without hindering movement.
Uniani a pair of thigh-high black linen stockings with split-toes
Dextra some thigh-high black cotton split-toe stockings
Charna Some thigh-high black suede boots with split toes outlined in white
Ren a pair of padded black suede footwraps beneath thong sandal
Ren a suit of high-necked black suede armor

fallenSaint
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Except he took out the nifty wording I used :(

DCSL
05-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Heh! Amazing how similar some of our minds work.

Miss X
05-16-2005, 12:52 PM
They are all really fab designs! Congrats everyone. :)

Kitsun
05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
I thought I was losing it as I was highlight the items I especially liked, the shorts were freaking identical.

petroglyph
05-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I noticed that after I turned mine in and smacked myself upside the head. I did read the posted ones when they went up, so I can't guarantee they didn't influence me subconsciously, however much I tried not to think about them while I was writing.

Full entry, for the curious:

You see Taki the Swordswoman.
She appears to be a Human.
She appears to be young and robust and shorter than average. She has almond-shaped midnight eyes and slightly sallow skin. She has perfectly straight, glossy black hair gathered into a fountaining ponytail at the crown of her head and secured by some long dove grey silk hair ribbons. She has a delicate face and thin, finely arched eyebrows.
She is in good shape.
She is wearing some ora-etched black rolaren pauldrons, a stiff high-collared surcoat of gold-shot ivory brocade, a fine midnight black cotton shirt, a pair of sleek grey ora vambraces, a broad dove grey silk sash, some layered black rolaren thighguards, a pair of gold-laced sleek grey ora leg greaves, some split-toed black cotton stockings, and a pair of gilded leather sandals with thin soles.

some long dove/grey silk hair/ribbons (All Tressed Up style, see hair description.)
Four broad strips of dove grey silk trail from a simple black sateen bow.

some ora-etched/black rolaren/pauldrons
Two narrow rolaren armbands each serve as the anchor for a trio of rectangular plates that curve upward to protect the wearer's shoulders. Lines of grey ora trace simple geometric patterns across the midnight black backdrop, adding to the stark appearance of the sharp-edged plates.

a fine midnight/black cotton/shirt
Finely woven but unadorned, the shirt bears the subtle gleam of sateen. Three gold buttons run down the back of the high collar, allowing it to part just widely enough to slip over the wearer's head. In contrast to the close-fitting neck and torso, the sleeves hang loosely from the shoulders, though black silk ribbons pull them tight at the wrists.

a pair of sleek/grey ora/vambraces
The grey ora vambraces flows in sleek lines from circular elbow guard to jointed half-gauntlet, accentuating the curves of a well-muscled human arm. Thin veins of purer white ora swirl through the gleaming metal and bleach its hue to a pale ash grey that offers an even sharper contrast to the gold and rolaren patterns etched across its surface.

some layered/black rolaren/thighguards
Thick straps of gilded leather lace overlapping rolaren plates into a pair of heavily reinforced thighguards. Each plate extends a handspan above its lower neighbor and curves to a gently rounded point, offering a touch of elegance to the otherwise unadorned and utilitarian piece of armor.

The sash and stockings don't have shows, though they could.

Skirmisher
05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Still waiting for my last place prize darn you!!!

Ren
05-16-2005, 06:08 PM
All those items look awesome, this really was a great contest. Someone do it again with a measly 1k prize, I'm sure we'd all enter (I would! heh).

I'll post my entry too for those who are curious (i'm curious what everyone submitted in full!)
----
err.. wait, I'll have to come back and edit this, and add it in.. on a new PC, haven't imported my mail folders yet.

Ren