PDA

View Full Version : In Their Memory

Jolena
04-20-2005, 01:00 PM
10 years have passed since the April 19 truck bombing of OKC. I realize that not many of you are from Oklahoma, however I wanted to make this thread in order to offer my condolences to anyone who might have lost a loved one in that horrific act of terrorism.

Myself, I lost a very dear childhood friend, and although it's been 10 years, I have yet to find closure for myself. Every year, on April 19th, I try to pretend it is just another day like any other. I avoid the television, any news related websites and/or radio broadcasts, and just move on with my life. It's just the way I deal with things of this magnitude I suppose.

This morning, however, my mother called me as I was running some errands around town and told me that my friend's mother was interviewed and broadcasted last night on a local newscast. The details of that interview were basically how Kim came to be in the bombing and how hard it has been for her family and friends to cope.

I haven't been to the memorial since they turned it into a museum of sorts. I did go there about 3 months after the bombing with my now ex-husband, after he insisted on seeing it for the thousandth time. At that point it was just a chain link fence surrounding the site of the tragedy. A fence filled with pictures of loved ones lost in the event. Pictures, letters, mementos, baby blankets, toys, you name it- it was there. I left my own momento on the fence and have not been back since. I just can't make myself go.

But for those of you who have experienced the loss that I among thousands of others have from something like this, or even just a loss of life period of a loved one, I sympathize with you. You have my heartfelt thoughts and prayers, because I know that it doesn't ever really go away, no matter how hard you might want it to.

ElanthianSiren
04-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
10 years have passed since the April 19 truck bombing of OKC. I realize that not many of you are from Oklahoma, however I wanted to make this thread in order to offer my condolences to anyone who might have lost a loved one in that horrific act of terrorism.

Myself, I lost a very dear childhood friend, and although it's been 10 years, I have yet to find closure for myself. Every year, on April 19th, I try to pretend it is just another day like any other. I avoid the television, any news related websites and/or radio broadcasts, and just move on with my life. It's just the way I deal with things of this magnitude I suppose.

This morning, however, my mother called me as I was running some errands around town and told me that my friend's mother was interviewed and broadcasted last night on a local newscast. The details of that interview were basically how Kim came to be in the bombing and how hard it has been for her family and friends to cope.

I haven't been to the memorial since they turned it into a museum of sorts. I did go there about 3 months after the bombing with my now ex-husband, after he insisted on seeing it for the thousandth time. At that point it was just a chain link fence surrounding the site of the tragedy. A fence filled with pictures of loved ones lost in the event. Pictures, letters, mementos, baby blankets, toys, you name it- it was there. I left my own momento on the fence and have not been back since. I just can't make myself go.

But for those of you who have experienced the loss that I among thousands of others have from something like this, or even just a loss of life period of a loved one, I sympathize with you. You have my heartfelt thoughts and prayers, because I know that it doesn't ever really go away, no matter how hard you might want it to.

My sympathies to you Jolena. Losing a childhood friend to a stupid act of violence is never easy to cope with, but you do what you must, and you go on. In a way, imo, that's the best tribute we can give them. -That we're still here and we haven't forgotten them and never will.

-Melissa

04-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I still don't think Tim McVey (sp) did it.

- Arkans

Jolena
04-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Timothy McVeigh. And he actually admitted it. There are several fanatical groups who say that either A-Tim was a Patsy or B- he was innocent. The Ryder truck that held the explosives was rented to Timothy McVeigh in Junction City, KS. The mechanic there identified him and helped the sketch artist draw his picture to show around town. Upon showing that sketch, a local motel owner id'd him as well and showed the FBI a receipt of Tim's from staying at her hotel. Upon being arrested only a few hours after the bombing, McVeigh (way to go dude, drive a non-tagged car with no insurance), was held in a small city jail by local authorities who knew nothing of his involvement in the bombing. The Found tons of documentation in his vehicle regarding the preparation of the bomb and even his own sister testified that she knew he had explosives in his vehicle but just didn't really know how to deal with it so she avoided it instead.

I'd say that's pretty conclusive to me. :shrug:

Regardless though, the bombing was horrendous. And completely unnecessary. 168 lives, at least 19 were children, lost.

04-20-2005, 01:22 PM
From what I remember he never admitted to NOT doing it. He never did admit it. It definately sounds like everyone wanted a scape goat and got it. People wanted an arrest and wanted one right then. He just knew his situation was hopeless. Just my two cents though.

- Arkans

Jolena
04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
I dont' see how the evidence that stacked up against him wasn't conclusive to his being guilty, but whatever. To each their own opinion.

Anailea
04-20-2005, 01:34 PM
:offtopic:

My condolences to all who lost loved ones. While I didn't lose anyone, it still tore me up. :shrug:

Anailea

AnticorRifling
04-20-2005, 01:36 PM
Why does it matter that it was 19 children were lost? 168 lives is 168 lives.

It's a bad thing don't get me wrong but I always hate when something bad happens and people try to get those American public heart strings jerkin by cutting up the tragedy into little bits that "hit home" or whatever.

Jolena
04-20-2005, 01:40 PM
It doesn't make the lives any more meaningful that they were children, however this was supposedly a political statement for the bomber. Those chidren were not involved in politics. And as a mother, it matters to me that there were children there. :shrug:

Warriorbird
04-20-2005, 01:41 PM
Because they theoretically have longer lives to lose?

Bobmuhthol
04-20-2005, 01:42 PM
<<Those chidren were not involved in politics. And as a mother, it matters to me that there were children there.>>

As a daughter, shouldn't you be equally concerned about the parents? I see no parent death toll.

KymberlynX
04-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I don't see why this is turning into a "Timothy McVeigh is Innocent" thread when the purpose of this thread is to remember the OKC bombing and offer condolences to the people that it affected, not debate the guilt or innocence of the person that did it.

Jolena...I can't imagine what it's like to have to live with that kind of loss and still have it hurt so much after 10 years...my heart goes out to you.

Jolena
04-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah this is my last post in response to something this thread is not intended to be for. Bob, it does matter to me that parents died, leaving children orphaned or even other adults parentless. The fact of it is, children have not had the time that adults have to live. You aren't supposed to bury your children, it should be the other way around. That is my personal thought on it, whether you or anyone else agrees.

On topic- thank you for the thoughts. I suppose I should try to muster up the courage to go to the memorial site at least once before I move to Florida in six weeks. No telling when I will have the chance to do so again after that.

Warriorbird
04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
I think the trip would be worth it. It is sad how low the value some place on human loss.

04-20-2005, 01:50 PM
How's it turning into anything? I have an opinion and I'll state it on a this public forum. Don't like it? Don't read my post.. BOO HOO. The tradegy is awful, but I don't think he did it.

- Arkans

Back
04-20-2005, 02:05 PM
And Armstrong didn’t walk on the moon I suppose.

KymberlynX
04-20-2005, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
How's it turning into anything? I have an opinion and I'll state it on a this public forum. Don't like it? Don't read my post.. BOO HOO. The tradegy is awful, but I don't think he did it.

- Arkans

Guess what? I have an opinion too, and as I stated before, I don't think this is the appropriate place for you to post your thoughts on his innocence when it's meant to remember the tragedy and offer condolences to those who were affected by it.

You can ignore my posts as well, and seeing as I rarely post here, that should be very easy for you. ;)

04-21-2005, 09:26 AM
No shit? Really? Couldn't fooled me. Anyway, think all you want, it is a related topic. Sorry.

- Arkans

Jennaen
04-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Jo, losing anyone close to you is always awful, and moreso when it's in such an unexpected way. I think visiting the memorial would be good for you, at this stage in the grief process. A little bit of closure that you definitely need, a little purging of the pain, so you can focus on remembering your friend for who she was, not how she left your life.

DeV
04-21-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Arkans

- Arkans I believe the motherfucker did it regardless of him admitting guilt or not.

04-21-2005, 11:45 AM
I respect, but don't agree with the opinion. He just didn't fit the crime, IMHO

- Arkans

Warriorbird
04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Because a soldier would never do anything bad to anyone?

Czeska
04-21-2005, 01:08 PM
:sends Jolena hugs:

:flicks Arkans in the forehead, then hands him a shoe catalog to give him something else to do:

04-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Ooooo Prada! *runs off*

- Arkans