PDA

View Full Version : EN: Love it or hate it?

Fallen
04-19-2005, 08:34 AM
Have you ever been to the EN? If so, do you like it? Do any of you have characters that are actively played on both side of the Spines? Do you refuse to go over there at all? If you hate/love it, Why?

Opinions wanted.

Fallen
04-19-2005, 08:36 AM
Evarin and Merjinia recently made a trip to the Elven Nations to do a bit of hunting and sight seeing. The town of Ta'Illistim itself is beautifully written, displaying a sense of order and permanence that one would expect from an Elven city.

The hunting as so far seems pretty easy. The Glacier is a joke. I haven't made it into anywhere else, but at 56 I am guessing the Skull Temple and Griffin's Keen will be quite challenging.

Not being able to go to a table in town (on my own) is VERY annoying. I understand and respect the mechanics behind the choce... but it's still annoying. I have a dislike for the Dais for some odd reason. Its noisy and I keep running into my ex-character, which makes me feel like crap.

I haven't had any good interactions of late, though I have been to a few RP events. Ta'Vaalor seemed filled with starting characters and no one else. Wasn't impressed.

Everything in the EN seems FAR too spaced out. Without a script it takes me a good while to make it from Ta'Illistim to the Glacial hunting area. The room descriptions are all excellent, there just seems to be too many of them.

...I don't know what it is about the EN that I dislike, but I find I just hate the place. I doubt I will be staying much longer.

peam
04-19-2005, 08:40 AM
I'm not a fan. The hunting there is awesome, but the people and layout turn me off.

Asha
04-19-2005, 08:41 AM
I hate the place.
I hate the the uber levlz characters who throw around their spells as a 'joke' or in an act of unfathomable RP.

That and being a Dirt Elf doesn't help.
I loved the hunting though, just wasn't enough to keep me there.

Miss X
04-19-2005, 08:46 AM
I love it, Illistim is by far my favorite town in game. There are some really great people around to RP with if you look or spend some time in certain places. I have lot's of fun with people like Rheisia, Velvette, Nektarius, Blades, Boomsplat, Dainslef etc.

I just prefer the atmosphere in Illistim, and it is really the only place I can hunt. I like the layout of Illistim too, Im finally able to make it to most places without my trusty .en script!

I'm sure Chica would just LOVE to see Evarin on the Dais, she'd enjoy kicking him out! ;)

Miss X
04-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
I hate the place.
I hate the the uber levlz characters who throw around their spells as a 'joke' or in an act of unfathomable RP.

I actually don't think there is as much of this as people like to make out. Sure, there are a couple of idiots but you get that in any town.

Chica has a lot of friends in Illistim and most of them are highish levels, but I dont see any of them throwing their weight around. I actually think, because there are so many higher level characters there, you always know there is someone better than you so you are less likely to cause crap. :)

Atlanteax
04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
I'm not a fan of EN as opposed to the Western side of the Dragonspire.

However the case, I probably spend most of my time in EN now for the Barrier region.

It'll be interesting if one of the new high level hunting areas will be near Solhaven or Wehnimers.

Sean
04-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Fallen

The hunting as so far seems pretty easy. The Glacier is a joke. I haven't made it into anywhere else, but at 56 I am guessing the Skull Temple and Griffin's Keen will be quite challenging.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

[Edited on 4-19-2005 by Tijay]

Asha
04-19-2005, 08:52 AM
When I can no longer learn from the Rift, I'll stop training.
I think at that point I'll finally just hunt to RP or have fun.
I really couldn't stay in EN permanently. Especially staying there for the hunting just isn't a good enough reason.

I do miss Chica though. More from the old days when we weren't in EN than when I saw her in the Dais.

Drew2
04-19-2005, 08:54 AM
You can't go to a table wtf??

Also, you should be in Blighted forest if Glacier is too easy. Skull temple would be near impossible at 56.

Well, very challenging, to say the least. Blighted forest is cake though.

[Edited on 4-19-2005 by Tayre]

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 08:55 AM
The EN's hunting grounds were most likely designed by a one-handed person. Yes they're that easy (With the exception of OTF which is the best hunting in the game).

As for the people you get alot of l33t "my AS is uber" retards who try to show off all the time, but no more OOC than you'd usually get in the Landing or Ta'Vaalor. Its simply a stop-gap for me, however. I'll probably leave when I have to.

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Tayre

Also, you should be in Blighted forest if Glacier is too easy. Skull temple would be near impossible at 56.

You'd think. Me and Dainslef tore the place down (I was level 50 at the time). The only timed I've died in there was when I was with Anticor. And that is reason enough.

04-19-2005, 08:58 AM
I had Arkans live and hunt in the EN for a month or so, maybe more. The place is God awful and interaction isn't as great as you would get on the west of the Spine. The layout is terrible and frankly, Rift hunting is a lot more fun (even though it is boring)

- Arkans

Xandalf
04-19-2005, 09:00 AM
Well, I personally came back to GS this summer after 7-8 years away from the game, and was lucky enough to start in Ta'Vaalor... a town that didn't even exist when I left!

I can't tell you how much I wanted to get back to the landing, where things would be somewhat familiar to me. But after spending as much time as I now have in Vaalor and Illistim, Xand feels somewhat uncomfortable anywhere else. He did spend a few weeks in the Landing and did enjoy it, but that was only after finding a good group of folks who hang out in the MC to RP with.

Despite all the rumors, I've found the RP in Vaalor to be decent at most times, and outstanding on occasion. If you're in Illistim, the fountain is a much quieter place to rest with (my opinion) a better group of people.

In other words: Love it!

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:19 AM
When I can no longer learn from the Rift, I'll stop training.
I think at that point I'll finally just hunt to RP or have fun.
I really couldn't stay in EN permanently. Especially staying there for the hunting just isn't a good enough reason.

I do miss Chica though. More from the old days when we weren't in EN than when I saw her in the Dais.

I keep trying to get Chica to come home, but she won't have none of it. I think she was brain-washed down there, and needs to be drug back, just so she gets a glimpse of home.

Which might work, till she sees that home is now overrun with pure idiots, and just plain disrespectful people.

Finis

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:22 AM
You can't go to a table wtf??

Well, very challenging, to say the least. Blighted forest is cake though.

[Edited on 4-19-2005 by Tayre]

Blighted Forest has been cake for Finis since train 40 and is easier in my opinion then the glacier..., and he can't do the damn glacier which is something he hates to say, but everything there is immune to physical attack, and the skull temple..., well, he does go there and play with Yeti's and the lesser griffons, and does fine, its hard, but he/I loves a challenge.

Finis

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Finis was actually born in Vaalor almost dead on 3 years ago. He is familliar with the town, but left at train 4 to cross over into Mule to be with his (then) Fiance'e that was prearranged, and a few deaths later, he made it.

Having started as a ranger, once he got to Mule he decided hugging trees was not for him, so converted to warrior.

Since train 20, Finis goes has a circuit he does, where he spends aproximately 30 days in every town, except RR, with more time being spent in two towns..., Mule (his home) and Illistiam, which is definetly he home away from home.

I think Illistiam became home away from home for many reason. Good friends, good people, and good hunting grounds.

Of course to be fair, Finis tries to be in Sol as well any time there is a need to defend it, for much the same reasons as he goes to Illistiam.

Finis

~ O! And you two can get your asses home!

petroglyph
04-19-2005, 09:37 AM
I can't stand Ta'Illistim. The layout of the city is a mess, and I've yet to find any place to go for decent RPed interactions. I have two characters hunting around there; with one, I drag her across the ferry to Vaalor after each hunt, with the other, well, I kill a lot of time reading the message boards.

Victory Court in Vaalor is often painful, but I've had a number of very good RP experiences in more out of the way nodes around the city, and the town's layout is nice and memorizable. I just wish it were closer to decent hunting.

I've had wonderful RP experiences in Sylvarraend and Zul Logoth, all three times I managed to actually bump into someone. Also, they are absurdly convenient to easy hunting grounds. Thumbs up in my book. If only they were a little less empty.

There is one inn in Ta'Illistim that serves dark elves, I believe. Of course, the tables are usually full.

Nieninque
04-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Dark elfs can go to the tables at the lost home on their own

Asha
04-19-2005, 09:41 AM
I keep trying to get Chica to come home, but she won't have none of it. I think she was brain-washed down there, and needs to be drug back, just so she gets a glimpse of home.

Which might work, till she sees that home is now overrun with pure idiots, and just plain disrespectful people.

Finis [/quote]

She's not coming back man.
Last I heard , she has reason to stay away from Icemule.
Drag her if you like, but my TD says I'm gonna stand back and watch.

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:51 AM
:cry: :cry: :cry:

She wun hurt me..., on purpose ::snicker:: But she would probably laugh at me, and to think that girl USED to be younger then me, now she is basically twice my train.

le sigh

Finis

Gan
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Illistim rocks. All my friends are there and the hunting is uber. Vaalor is sleepy most times and other times funny to watch the folks try to RP and usually wind up abusing the act or smile verbs enough to make it painful. Its a good place to start a youngster now that they've brought COL and Voln there.

The landing has always been my home away from home since thats where I first started but I've called Solhaven, Teras, and now EN my home since. I never could stomach IMT/Pinefar and RR. And I spent some time in the Rift but the havoc of dying and having to fog back to Pinefar to unload was a nusicance. EN beats all hands down.

Whats really cool is if you're feeling alpha-male'ish you can always count on a similar level/aged character meeting the challenge instead of watching someone dominate an area of youngsters like what used to happen in the landing.

Kitsun
04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I love Illistim. I would travel back and forth more often but seriously, the mine carts, rope bridge, ladder and ferry are a pain in my ass.

I have friends I meet up with all the time.

When I tried RPing my gnome on the dais, I did get people that wanted to interact with him.

Asha
04-19-2005, 10:03 AM
I agree completely with the last paragraph of Ganalons post.

Twisted
04-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Love it. Plenty to hunt and plenty of people who will RP with you.

Apotheosis
04-19-2005, 10:29 AM
<3 the EN

There are alot of idiots in both illistim and vaalor though....

AnticorRifling
04-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

You'd think. Me and Dainslef tore the place down (I was level 50 at the time). The only timed I've died in there was when I was with Anticor. And that is reason enough.

But I lived so it was all good.

Personally I love EN. I've been there for a few years now and it's become a second home to all my characters.

Sean of the Thread
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I hate the place.

I love the place. I love being uber levlz character and having plenty of lower levlz to throw my spells at as a joke or great RP!

Being DE does suck in that town. Dont sell your gems or pawn there as you take a 25% hit in value. I really hate the cest pool to the west and the rift blowz.

OTF is the place to be and everyone actually is pretty cool despite maybe 2 douchebags and report whores.

Sean of the Thread
04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
Dark elfs can go to the tables at the lost home on their own

I forgot to mention that.. if you really have a problem with the dais you can alwasy goto Briarstone court or the lost homes. I prefer the noded fireplace area of the lost home and I frequently rest there all by my quiet peaceful self.

I was drunk one evening (imagine that) and I was firing off 111 at the inn yelling slurs and no one was around that I remember. I got an RP award and then a NPC came and threw me in jail... =(.

Edit to say the point of that was to say that the GM's do come randomly check on the small pops over there for whatever reason.

[Edited on 4-19-2005 by Xyelin]

AnticorRifling
04-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Briarstone Court is mine. I've claimed the spot outside the alchemist as mine for a long while now.

Jolena
04-19-2005, 12:37 PM
I don't care for the Nations at all, to be honest. I had to learn the layout due to Jolena's position in a military that is based out of Ta'Illistim (ugh that sucked so hard too, I'm directionally challenged) but I never went when I didn't have to.

Actually, I lie. :) I spent a few weeks there hunting with Stunseed and some other friends just to see what things were really like and try to get past hating the layout of that city. It was horrible. I love the hunting, don't get me wrong. Blighted forest rocked. The people though grrr. Course, most of that was because Jolena's a human I'm sure. But regardless, they were rude, powerhungry, "look at me Im so uber and you can't fuck with me" type folks and I detest that type of thing. I also could NOT get anyone to RP with her for the life of me simply because well I wasn't known there and she's human.

I spose to be fair I should take one of my elven characters there to see how she is received, but it just put a sour taste in my mouth and turned me off to going to EN unless I absolutely have to.

Too bad though, the city is gorgeous, they have some amazing shops and the hunting is great.

Trinitis
04-19-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by FinisWolf
:cry: :cry: :cry:

She wun hurt me..., on purpose ::snicker:: But she would probably laugh at me, and to think that girl USED to be younger then me, now she is basically twice my train.

le sigh

Finis

How do you think I feel?! When I first met Chica, Adredrin was 83 trainings and Chica was hunting Kobolds in Icemule. GSIV happened, and I got bumped down to 63, He is now 70..and she's almost fucking cap. UGH

:heart: Chica anyway

Asha
04-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Jesus, in 3 years you went from 83 to 70.

I know that's not technicaly true but it sounds horrid.

Trinitis
04-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Jesus, in 3 years you went from 83 to 70.

I know that's not technicaly true but it sounds horrid.

:grr:

ElanthianSiren
04-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I love EN. You can also fairly often avoid people throwing spells/levels around by just avoiding people. It works, I promise :)

-Melissa

Asha
04-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Imagine if I brought an animate into town.
It would be dead in seconds and Shim would soon follow after attempting revenge.

ElanthianSiren
04-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Imagine if I brought an animate into town.
It would be dead in seconds and Shim would soon follow after attempting revenge.

I've seen them at the dais before.

-Melissa

Praefection
04-19-2005, 03:36 PM
I love Illistim for it's looks alone. The hunting is excellent but the trip up there is a pain in my ass. The people are so so, I tend to mostly come around when I'm working graveyard shifts and there's nothing but a bunch of zombies.

Vaalor on the other hand is a riot. I'll bring Linsha up when I'm being a bitch. The people there are so easy to annoy but it's a great town for raising up little ones if you can ignore the idiots, which there are a lot of. I think it's mostly due to players new to the game who get taught bad habits by the people who were new a month ago and now know it all.

I did spend a lot of time up there until I outgrew the hunting areas except for the bog, and I'll go back there now and again when I want space.

Asha
04-19-2005, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Praefection
I love Illistim for it's looks alone. The hunting is excellent but the trip up there is a pain in my ass. The people are so so, I tend to mostly come around when I'm working graveyard shifts and there's nothing but a bunch of zombies.

Vaalor on the other hand is a riot. I'll bring Linsha up when I'm being a bitch. The people there are so easy to annoy but it's a great town for raising up little ones if you can ignore the idiots, which there are a lot of. I think it's mostly due to players new to the game who get taught bad habits by the people who were new a month ago and now know it all.

I did spend a lot of time up there until I outgrew the hunting areas except for the bog, and I'll go back there now and again when I want space.

Or be far from me.
:hiss:

Valthissa
04-19-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
Briarstone Court is mine. I've claimed the spot outside the alchemist as mine for a long while now.

ahem.

I let Anticor rest in my corner of the court.

sometimes.

C/Valth

Pallon
04-19-2005, 04:20 PM
The herbalist shop in Ta'Illistim rips me a new asshole every time I walk in there. The only problem with the hunting is a distinct lack of a high-quantity undead area a la Bonespear to favor hunt. Other than that I have no objections.

Drinin
04-19-2005, 05:31 PM
I moved the bard to Ta'illistim about 2 months after it opened and I enjoy the place. When the switch to gs4 happened, I moved back to the Landing for some Stronghold hunting, thinking for some reason that I missed the Landing. I didn't. I hate the Landing, but I loved hunting Stronghold. EN hunting is a joke, that is my only gripe with the place, 90% of my hunting deaths are due to disconnects. Then again, at my level I don't have many choices on where to hunt. After one more training I can choose between the Rift . . . no thanks, and OTF . . . wins by default.

Viridian
04-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Ta'Ilistim is great nice and quiet, Ta'Vaalor can be iritating, especially if new players annoy the hell out of you. Roleplaying there is challenging at times.

Though power hunting there is great....I did trained twice in a week.

Also, Hadya isn't as hated so getting boxes picked, healed and whatnot is a bit easier.

*chuckles*

Besides when Solhaven gets on Ilijah and Hadya's nerves thats where we run to.

Then when we get annoyed with Ta'Vaalor we run back to Solhaven...its a vicious cycle.

HouseofElves
04-25-2005, 03:26 PM
Illistim is hands down my favorite city in GS. It has the best atmosphere for me and just tons of stuff to do and see. My character's home and business are there and for the most part there are just some good people that hang out there. The layout has never been a problem for me but then again I've probably spent most of my GS career there.

Vaalor has a great lay out but horrible hunting and even worse characters/players. It really has become such a nightmare.

AnticorRifling
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Hunting isn't bad in Vaalor.

And Valthissa you can't lay claim to that corner of the court if you spend 80% of your time invisible. :cool:

Sylvan Dreams
04-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Instead of sitting in the dais, sit in Briarstone court in front of the alchemist. It's where I used to sit with your aforementioned ex-persona.

Valthissa sits there as well, and she's nice. Unfortunately Anticor goes there too at times, but just blast him if he gets out of hand and it's all good.

At your current level, you should be alright hunting dogmatists and such.

- Debia

Kainen
04-25-2005, 11:25 PM
I hate Illistim for the layout, but it's great as long as I stick to Briarstone Court.. Vaalor is where my main char calls home.. but god the younger players can be annoying sometimes, on the upside I know the layout of Vaalor inside and out. I have found that if you want RP you can generally find it.

Syberus
04-26-2005, 12:47 AM
I take animates to the dais on occasion (Usually Janissaries) and no one ever does anything aside from glance or raise an eyebrow. Animates can be a pretty good discussion starter, and are good for some RP too. Having said that, I don't think you can attack an animate now unless it's attacked you first.