PDA

View Full Version : Ranger MAYhem and Animal Companion Updates

Insodus
04-19-2005, 05:01 AM
Ranger MAYhem!

A majority of the following spells will receive updates in the month of MAY:

Natural Colors (601)
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased stealth (hide/stalk/unhide/sneak) roll bonus
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased defense strength (DS)

Resist Elements (602)
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased bolt DS
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased protection in elemental conditions

Foraging (603)
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased forage bonus

Skinning (604)
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased skin value

Whispering Willow (605)
* Spiritual Lore, Summoning - ability to whisper to others that may be hidden/invisible, indoors, and even cross-realms at certain training thresholds

Sounds (607)
* Spiritual Lore, Summoning - increased effectiveness of DS modifications

Sun Burst (609)
* Duration increase based more on endroll
* Message when undead recover from RT using focused version

Tangleweed (610)
* Damage/knockdown on stances above neutral instead of only offensive
* Will go after targeted creature first (if specifically targeted)
* A target in the "entangled" state will be rooted
* Spiritual Lore, Summoning - increase chance to/severity of poison. This poison will drain the target's strength.

Breeze (612)
* Add STOP BREEZE/STOP 612 capability
* Spiritual Lore, Summoning - chance to slow any creature in the room

Self Control (613)
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - increased target defense (TD) bonus

Imbue (614)
* Allow mezeron bark, currently foragable in the Solhaven region, to be imbuable (amulet)
* Spiritural Lore, Summoning - increased mana capacity

Call Swarm (615)
* Change it so stance determines the initial effect

Spike Thorn (616)
* Spiritual Lore, Summoning - chance for an additional damage cycle

Sneaking (617)
* STOP SNEAKING no longer remove from hiding
* Spiritual Lore, Blessings - decreased slip chance in icy conditions

Resist Nature (620)
* Change elemental lore bonuses to use Spiritual Lore, Blessings

The spells that are not released during "Ranger MAYhem", will be released during June... um... someone think of something catchy for June! :)

Animal Companion Updates
- New Command Features -

ATTACK: Animal companions will no longer wander off after their current target is gone. They will also be more intelligent when no target is specified ("TELL COMPANION TO ATTACK") in choosing what to attack. Target specification will be more flexible ("TELL COMPANION TO ATTACK FOURTH ZOMBIE ROLTON"). Further, each of the four Animal Companion types will occasionally attack with a new type of maneuver, occurring more often with higher affinity.

Canine Hand lunge. Will aim for target's hands, attempting to shake weapons/shields free. Will not disarm players.
Feline Pounce. Will attempt to knock target over and slash at their chest.
Avian Wing Buffet. Will strike target with wings, decreasing their stance and knocking them to their knees.
Rodent Hamstring/Neck Lunge. Will attempt to knock target over by striking their legs. If they are prone, will strike at the neck or chest (if neck is already extensively injured). *

* With these additions, the rodents' ability to aim only for the head/neck/eyes will be removed, but they will have a higher rate of special attack, which carries a higher lethality.

FEED: Miscellaneous healing herbs (cothinar flower, strigae cactus, marallis berry, yabathilium fruit, and cuctucae bery) will properly restore hit points in Animal Companions.

SCOUT: The command has been completely rewritten to SCOUT around the rooms adjacent to its current location, and report the number of creatures and people present.

CEASE: Telling your companion to CEASE will now stop all of its random idle messaging. The rate on idle messaging in general has also been decreased.

TRACK: When a companion has TRACKed down the given target, specific location messaging will always be given.

NUDGE: Companions will be able to NUDGE items of greater encumbrance than previously possible, based on affinity.

MESSAGE: Recipients of avian MESSAGEs will be able to WRITE on the papers received to respond to the Ranger's missive. Location of initial delivery will also be given.

DRAG: The Giantman DRAG restriction has been removed. Directional indication will be more flexible ("TELL COMPANION TO DRAG MESTYS SECOND BLACK VOID").

- New Roleplaying Commands -

Some will be basic, some will be rather extensive, but the following is a list of new commands that you will be able to use to interact with your Animal Companion:

AGREE, HUG, KISS/SMOOCH, LAUGH, LEAN, PLAY, PROD/POKE/TAP, PULL, PUSH, REST, RUB, and SCRATCH.

------------------------------------------

Looks pretty cool to me. My ranger training was hard enough... now throw in Spirit Lore Blessings in there, aye aye aye.

Also glad companions finally get some custom verbs. Been trying to leen on my lynx while we rest for so long!

Azul
04-19-2005, 05:17 AM
Don't you mean ay yi yi?:grin:

hmm the special actions for the different types of companions will probably sway people one way or another. It has for me, I was considering canine, avian, and feline. Disarming < knock downs so I'm probably going to cross canines off. Wolves are played out anyway.

(If this is hard to read forgive me. I just woke up to take out the trash)

Nieninque
04-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Wow...Rangers got some love :thumbsup:

Sylph
04-19-2005, 05:38 AM
Hmm... Strong circle gets stronger when lores trained.

Stunseed
04-19-2005, 06:15 AM
Good luck finding TP's to train in them.

All in all, a nice set of updates, with perhaps the only thing lacking a "new" ( one Rogues don't use in favor for much better ) cman for the Ranger profession. I'm really happy about the AC updates, as well.

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 06:24 AM
Yeah, some nice updates there.

Asha
04-19-2005, 07:01 AM
Rangers really are the most perfect profession.
Shame the only character I have left is a sorc.

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 07:11 AM
Sometimes I wish I'd made Stay a ranger if only for an AC. They really should make an item.

TheRoseLady
04-19-2005, 07:18 AM
heh, they repeatedly said over and over that they wouldn't whore out AC like they have familiar.

Man, the lores...? guess I'll be rethinking all that hiding she has.

Asha
04-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Gets lonley being a cold calculating killer, eh Stray?
Call me if you need someone to talk to , man. I'm open.

:bleh:

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Dude...thanks :aww:

Fallen
04-19-2005, 08:25 AM
Definitely a sound round of improvements. What skills would a ranger have to pull from to open up points for the lores?

Asha
04-19-2005, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Fallen
Definitely a sound round of improvements. What skills would a ranger have to pull from to open up points for the lores?

First aid, mana sharing.
would have been my rangers give ups.

Atlanteax
04-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Gets lonley being a cold calculating killer, eh Stray?
Call me if you need someone to talk to , man. I'm open.

:bleh:

Originally posted by StrayRogue

Awww, look at the lovebirds. :smug:

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Azul
Don't you mean ay yi yi?:grin:

hmm the special actions for the different types of companions will probably sway people one way or another. It has for me, I was considering canine, avian, and feline. Disarming < knock downs so I'm probably going to cross canines off. Wolves are played out anyway.

(If this is hard to read forgive me. I just woke up to take out the trash)

WOLVES are NEVER played out!

:cool:

Finis

FinisWolf
04-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I would say the rodent ones though, it looks like they can do more... but then I know little to nothing about train 30+ rangers, to me, it looks like they be getting the attention sorcerers received. Maybe its a sign that all professions will actually get some love sometime?

Finis

FinisWolf
I would say the rodent ones though, it looks like they can do more... but then I know little to nothing about train 30+ rangers, to me, it looks like they be getting the attention sorcerers received. Maybe its a sign that all professions will actually get some love sometime?

Finis

FinisWolf

Finis

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I wonder when they'll give rogues something unique.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 09:42 AM
CMAN list

Asha
04-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Finis,
I wonder if you could just put all your consecutive posts into one big one.
:)

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
CMAN list

Hardly unique. We have to train to use them.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Ranger got to train in spell list to get their AC.

And same for their spell circles.

Cman list simulates magic for squares:bouncy:

Same can be said for ranger skills and every other profession skills though, no?

- Arkans

StrayRogue
I didn't say magic. I said unique. Either way I don't give a shit about your uninformed opinion regardless.

Nieninque
04-19-2005, 09:48 AM

hahaha...Stay said "Dude"

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Dude, I always say dude.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I didn't say magic. I said unique. Either way I don't give a shit about your uninformed opinion regardless.

?????????????????

Fucking racist, calm down. Rogues got something unique, in fact, they have many cman manoeuvers that are uniques just for them. And that isn't considerating that they are the profession that got the most cheap skills.

Rogues don't need something new.

04-19-2005, 09:56 AM
Rogues have something unique. That being said that doesn't mean they shouldn't be getting more stuff. Every profession should be.

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
What? How is the above racist in anyway? Is this another one of your instances when you don't know what the fuck you're saying again?

And compared to warriors rogues do not have MANY unique CMs.

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
Rogues have something unique. That being said that doesn't mean they shouldn't be getting more stuff. Every profession should be.

- Arkans

I hope so too. As far as I'm aware rogues have the unique sense ability.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 10:02 AM
Compared to warriors, rogue are UBER strong.

You are a damn idiot racist, refer to your previous posts you said in someone's journnal.

Turn on your brain, whiner, Rogue even withe HP are so damn strong.

They're among the few that are able to overhunt by MANY levels.

ARkans: Look at the damage simu is doing when they bring something new, paladins are so controversial!

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 10:04 AM
You actually don't know what the hell you're talking about do you. Retard.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 10:05 AM
I won'T help your poor idiotic selective memory, you fucking racist.

Continue to whine about something that is already too strong, stupid you

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Hush retard. Learn the actual meaning of words before you start using them dumbass, or atleast have some degree of evidence to back up your pointless statements.

Stunseed
04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Right.....

Back to the Ranger profession.

Xcalibur
04-19-2005, 10:07 AM
That's right, you're a racist. Now back to topic: Rangers are becoming way too strong:argue:

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
That's right, you are a retard.

04-19-2005, 10:09 AM
Frankly, the sense ability is just not enough, in my opinion. When you have mages able to enchant, sorcerers being able to animate, rangers getting companions, the list goes on for each profession.

Every class needs MULTIPLE systems implemented into them. They all need viable alternative experience methods and they all need reasons to want to group with them or to seek them out. All classes should have tangible ways to interact with other players in the game through skills. I don't see any real arguement against something like that.

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Yep, my thoughts exactly Arkans. Still I'm glad rangers good some extra shit to play with.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-19-2005, 10:21 AM
I think it's some cool stuff for rangers :) My ranger is only 33, and I haven't even played him enough to bond with a companion.

I will say, as my char is primarily a mage, I'm jealous. I wish familiars were more robust. Gate is pretty cool, but I wish a familiar could help more.

Asha
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
Heheh, I just got rid of my ranger too.
I couldn't justify playing her for an hour a month.

And to be honest, the changes wouldn't have changed my mind.

Showal
04-19-2005, 10:57 AM
I'm glad us rangers got some additions to AC. I wonder how they'll affect bonding (i.e. will leaning on your companion induce higher affinity like petting would?). The training of lores, honestly, sucks. I'll have to change a bunch of training to get the lores, but in all honesty, I used to think it was great that I could train in all these other things and not have to worry about the lores regardless of whether or not I knew they SHOULD affect the spells. So I'll consider myself lucky for the past however many trains and just rearrange my training. All lore training is doing is truly adding more depth to our spells and allowing us to make them stronger at the expense of other things. I just wish we got a free fixskill to change them quickly. I also wish I knew how heavily lores would influence our spells, but I imagine that'll be released soon enough.

When do we get the fix skill again? is it in may?

Apotheosis
04-19-2005, 11:04 AM
I would hazard a guess that this is something that all semis are going to experience, if they haven't already.. :shrug:

i think the changes are great, though... but that means critters that cast tangleweed are going to be a bit more dangerous for pures

Showal
04-19-2005, 11:16 AM
How so?

Not questioning it, just wondering about the mechanics. I'm not that great one what lores means.

Apotheosis
04-19-2005, 11:40 AM
Lores just make overall spells more versatile. they can be expensive to train in, so you need to study how much they impact certain spells that you use.

Generally, to get the really uber effects of a spell, you need to have lots of a certain lore, and it's profession based...

Latrinsorm
04-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Fixskills is May 20th.

Rogues have the ability to have the best locksmithing and hiding. Not all rogues are hiders or locksmiths, naturally, but not all mages enchant either. Plus those dodge costs are just obscene.

p.s. rangers don't sux0r quite as hard anymore? :rah:

p.p.s. you know I'm kidding, I love you guys

Jolena
04-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Personally, I'm SO happy for Rangers. Having heard Stunseed talk about Rangers over the years, I've realized that they are indeed being left out of a lot of additions that other professions have gained. It's nice to see SIMU finally pony up and give them something nice. I know Guen, Stun's companion, is a very integral part of his and Jolena's RP and it will be great to see the new things implimented with her. Now they just need to get everyone a guild that actually does something for them and I'd be happy. :)

As for rogues, I have mixed feelings. Yes, we do have the guild abilities like Lock Mastery, which can include fixing our own lockpicks, adding locks to containers, etc. and that's way cool. We also have gambits, which can be nice for a thief or even just a sneaky non-thief rogue with stealth stand. However, just with warriors, a LOT of our skills became non-guild and were offered to the public and I have mixed feelings about that. I spose that SIMU tried to make up for that with the new CMAN's they offer rogues and warriors specifically but it still kinda stung to have our uniqueness taken away to an extent.

Ah well, I'm more interested in seeing other professions improved at this point or spell circles completed then I am with rogues being given even more cool things to play with.