PDA

View Full Version : Change to Names

CrystalTears
01-14-2003, 09:24 PM
Change to Names · on 12/3/2002 1:11:40 PM 222

We have a change to how names work in GemStone III coming up. I thought I'd alert you guys ahead of time.
First, understand that not everything is entirely set in stone yet, and as yet I do not have a deadline prepared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After thirteen years, our name database is quite full. We had intended to run a name purge a couple months before, however, we discovered that we would only clear out a couple thousand names. We were hoping for tens or hundreds of thousands. We still intend to run a name purge, however, the parameters are being rediscussed.

As another measure, we will be changing last names so that they are no longer unique. As before, you will be able to select a last name in the character manager. However, the character manager will no longer check to be sure that that name is unique. Thus it will be possible for multiple players to have the same last name.

Aside from opening up about half of the available names in the game, this will also allow us to build systems where players will be able to take on the same last name as their family, spouses or clans. A system we envision would involve a player who has obtained level 20, leading a group to the moot hall. There everyone in the group would be able to assume the level 20 player's last name. This would be a voluntary choice on behalf of all those involved ... both those giving the name, and those taking the name. To prevent abuse, only level 20 characters and higher would be able to give their name.
As part of weddings players would be able to take on the name of their spouse, or both parties would be able to take on a hyphenated last name.

Additionally, GMs would be able to run merchants where players could choose an entirely new last name, unrelated to any name that may or may not be in the game.

(I should note that those last-names which are currently grandfathered in, which do not meet current name guidelines, would not be able to be shared. While we're happy to grandfather a last name for a single player who has played for many, many years, we'd prefer not to have a game full of the same unacceptable last name.

I look forward to hearing your input on problems which may be caused by this change, how we may address them, and creative ideas for new systems based on this modification. Discussion will be ongoing in https://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=30&category=2&topic=8

Melissa

Gelston
09-18-2008, 02:47 PM
I see Narcissia doesn't like the numbers 2 and 5.

CrystalTears
09-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, don't be Stanley and start bumping really old threads for this game today. FFS.

Audriana
09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
post in the wrong thread day hurts my brain.

Stanley Burrell
09-18-2008, 02:52 PM
Wow, don't be Stanley and start bumping really old threads for this game today. FFS.

Envious bitch. Nieninque started it.

P.S. Nice remote control :drool: :heart:

Stanley Burrell
09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
post in the wrong thread day hurts my brain.

Grow a set of balls and tell her that the kids are yours too. Don't wear the testicle clamp attached to the female ball & chain. Be a man.

Gelston
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Because of me, a thread that once had no replies, does! This thread used to sit at the bottom of the pile, in obscurity, with no friends! Not it has rerisen to the top and gained buddies!

Gelston
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I accidentally took too many percocets.

Stanley Burrell
09-18-2008, 02:57 PM
I don't understand why my magic tricks and coin collection, not to mention constant harping upon my infatuation about Ardwen doesn't make the ladies remove themselves of their panties.

Back
09-18-2008, 03:00 PM
This isn't helping your case for not being a douchebag.

Hey now. I did not start the game. I’m just playing it. Besides it bumped your thread anyway.

Jorddyn
09-18-2008, 03:30 PM
You're the only C.P.A. who condones all forms of drug use. That I know. Online

That's not true. I don't condone the use of most drugs, I just don't feel that prohibition of a substance is the answer.