PDA

View Full Version : Olive Oil

TheRoseLady
04-16-2005, 02:48 PM
I found myself in the grocery store, needing to buy some olive oil. There were several brands and different shades...from there it just became a mystery to me.

What kind of olive oil should I be buying? Is it all the same? Does brand matter ie like Miracle Whip or Hellman's? I use it when I make fried scallops and other light duty things. I don't fry much on a regular basis - but if I do it's olive oil.

After having seen the knowledge folks had on terrazzo floors, I KNOW someone out there knows their olive oil and can help me out. :lol:

Back
04-16-2005, 02:49 PM
Its not good for massage really. I mean, it smells nice, but it breaks down to quick.

CrystalTears
04-16-2005, 02:52 PM
We tend to use olive oil.. actually virgin olive oil.. with our cooking around here. It's lighter than regular oils and better for you. I'm not sure if the brands really make a difference, although we tend to get Italian brands as they don't seem as heavy and taste better than other ones, but I may just be bias since I live with someone half Italian. :D

Ravenstorm
04-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I don't know about brands but I only get extra virgin olive oil. The different grades have different flavors as they come from different pressings. Extra virgin is the 'best'.

ElanthianSiren
04-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
We tend to use olive oil.. actually virgin olive oil.. with our cooking around here. It's lighter than regular oils and better for you. I'm not sure if the brands really make a difference, although we tend to get Italian brands as they don't seem as heavy and taste better than other ones, but I may just be bias since I live with someone half Italian. :D

Eastern european mutt, but I concur. Extra virgin is nice. I'm not positive on this, but I think the distinction comes in how much it's refined.

Extra virgin is the most purified, obviously.

There are all kinds of flavours and textures for oil, and i really can't help much THERE because cooking oils just aren't my fetish, but I think they taste them in Spain and California. :D

-Melissa

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I think it depends on your cooking needs. Olive oil burns at a lower temp than corn oil I think. Also, some olive oils are great for flavor, others great for cooking. Usually the bottle will say if it's a cooking oil, salad oil, or dipping oil.

That is the extent of my oil savvy

Parkbandit
04-16-2005, 03:11 PM
I get all my olive oil information from here:

http://www.oliveoilsource.com/definitions.htm

When cooking, I would stick with the extra virgin.. just because it sounds kinky.

CrystalTears
04-16-2005, 03:12 PM
PB, how many times have you been slapped by your wife? I'm just curious. :D

Parkbandit
04-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
PB, how many times have you been slapped by your wife? I'm just curious. :D

One attempt actually. I blocked it with the wax off maneuver. We were having a fight (I think it was before we were married 12 years ago) and she went to slap me.

She's not a violent person.. so basically she'll just call me an ass or roll her eyes when I start talking nasty. :D

HarmNone
04-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I, too, prefer extra virgin olive oil. It's very light. Great for use for cooking or tossing salads, or whatever. :)

DeV
04-16-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
or whatever. :) It sure is.

Skirmisher
04-16-2005, 03:47 PM
Yep. i'll chime in with the extra virgin olive oil when called for, but I like to also keep some corn oil and canola oil for different tasks as I have not found one oil that performs equally well for all frying needs.

I tried to use olive oil to make popcorn once when i was feeling incredibly lazy and not wanting to go to the store late at night.

It wasn't pretty.

Tsa`ah
04-16-2005, 04:42 PM
When it comes to olive oil, you get what you pay for. If I'm going to sear meat, I use plain and cheap olive oil as it is less likely to burn before the meat does. To sauté vegetables, I use virgin. To make a dressing or sauce ... or marinade, I use extra virgin.

There are variations, for me, like with poultry ... virgin. If I'm going for a glaze on a vegetable I use extra virgin.

Brand really doesn't matter to me ... you get what you pay for. So if I'm going to glaze a rib roll before it's roasted, I'll shell out an extra 10 bucks for the Bariani. If it's something like glazed red potatoes and mushrooms, I'll get the cheap off the shelf crap.

This (http://www.living-foods.com/articles/oliveoil.html) is what I mean by "you get what you pay for".

longshot
04-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by DeV

:popcorn:

That got my attention...

TRL, I do very little cooking, but I believe extra virgin and "cold pressed" are good qualities for olive oil.

Toxicvixen
04-16-2005, 05:18 PM
If you watch food network every chef is like and then you use some EVOO. Extra virgin olive oil is like in EVERY recipe there, so thats the stuff I would go for if I actually knew how to cook. :smilegrin:

ElanthianSiren
04-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Extra virgin is great on pasta with fresh grated parmasien (yes, I wish I could spell it), sauteed red peppers, lots of garlic, and black pepper. mmmmmmm... I might have to make that tonight now.

thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks. :P

-Melissa

HarmNone
04-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by longshot

Originally posted by DeV

:popcorn:

That got my attention...

TRL, I do very little cooking, but I believe extra virgin and "cold pressed" are good qualities for olive oil.

The "whatevers" in life are very important! Yes, they are! :D

DeV
04-16-2005, 06:00 PM
The "whatevers" in life are very important! Yes, they are! :D Harmnone knows. :yes:

TheRoseLady
04-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Thanks all for the info. EVOO it is.

Asha
04-17-2005, 08:47 AM
Lard.

Jazuela
04-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I use canola for frying food, because I want -light- food not drenched dripping in grease. Extra virgin is the "thinnest" of the lot so if I had to I'd use that.

I use normal virgin olive oil for my baked stuffed shrimp stuffing and the sauce for my scampi.

I use hard-core un-virgin organic "first pressing" cloudy-ass olive oil for dipping bread, because it has that absolute most wonderful divine taste that is usually processed out with subsequent pressings.