04-22-2021, 07:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3NASGb5m8s

Steve Jobs speaking on Xerox.

Pay attention around the 1:30 mark.

Analogy.

This is what is happening.

~Rocktar~
04-22-2021, 10:13 AM
He is partly right and partly wrong. The issue with Xerox was that they had invented all the new tech that changed our world, they just didn't see how it might apply outside of their very narrow product focus. They invented microcomputers to run industrial copying machines, not Apple or IBM. They invented windows, the mouse and visual interface computing, they couldn't see how it might apply elsewhere. They owned patents and didn't look to when the patents would run out. When they did, competition came in and ate them. And then the print cartridge came out and all the parts that wear out were in one package that you traded in and that really started to kill their monopoly. They invented faxing, they just didn't know how to apply it, they thought about how to collect documents at a location in one city and then scan them, print them in another city and deliver them. They didn't imagine doing that on a desktop scale or how far and wide scanning could be applied. They had the tech genius, they just couldn't see how it would be applied and when they did, they couldn't change course fast enough. Just like IBM.

Methais
04-22-2021, 12:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3NASGb5m8s

Steve Jobs speaking on Xerox.

Pay attention around the 1:30 mark.

Analogy.

This is what is happening.

How did Steve Jobs see the Star Wars sequels when he's dead though?

Shaps
04-22-2021, 03:38 PM
Understand the replies. I should have been more clear in what I took away from it.

I was trying to show the analogy between a companies progression and society. Around the 1:30 mark is when he really gets into it, but in general terms it was:

You have those that produce/create.
You have those that manage.
Those that manage eventually push out those that create.
You are left with a bunch of managers that don't create anything.
The company stagnates or collapses.

A correlation could be made for the state of society in the States.