PDA

View Full Version : Mac Computers

Showal
04-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Anyone know what the midplane does? My girlfriend's computer smells and it's coming from the midplane.

Apotheosis
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
www.macosx.com is probably the place to go

Showal
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
yeah I figured it out. Her mid plane (known to the PC community as the mother board) has burned out and also the power supply. I did some looking around on the internet and it seems this is a common problem with the new iMac G5's. The parts are all on back order so it makes it seem like it's even more common. If you're looking for a Mac, steer clear of the iMac G5's.

While I'm on it, anyone got any idea for some good computers to be used for graphic design? She's most likely just going to get a new computer and this is what she uses it for. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

Apotheosis
04-13-2005, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by Showal
yeah I figured it out. Her mid plane (known to the PC community as the mother board) has burned out and also the power supply. I did some looking around on the internet and it seems this is a common problem with the new iMac G5's. The parts are all on back order so it makes it seem like it's even more common. If you're looking for a Mac, steer clear of the iMac G5's.

While I'm on it, anyone got any idea for some good computers to be used for graphic design? She's most likely just going to get a new computer and this is what she uses it for. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

i just bought a dual 1.8 mhz G5 about 2 months ago.
This computer ownz.. and I crunch through high res graphics in no time at all.

It's also good for small video projects. and yes, I am a freelance graphic designer.

Investing in an Apple Care Protection Plan is not a bad call either, it really is worth it and their customer service takes care of you in the right way, mostly.

[Edited on 4-13-2005 by Yswithe]

Back
04-13-2005, 09:01 AM
The first post confused me because you were asking what something was that you knew what smelled like. :?:

Anyway, in my 15 years using macs, I’ve only seen this happen a few times, and never to myself. What typically will break down more often is a drive.

Were you trying to over-clock it? If its a common problem I guess not.

As for graphics, Mac is the way to go. It dosen’t get much better than a dual processor G5.

Showal
04-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah looking through the manual and stuff, I figured the place the smell was coming from was the area called the midplane which just backed up what the people at apple told her over the phone. I'm going to go to the apple store tonight and make a big scene. slapping the bitches and pimping the hos.