PDA

View Full Version : Saw

Trinitis
04-11-2005, 04:42 AM
Well, just finished watching Saw with my roomies, and I've come now to tell you the moral of the story.

If I ever wake up in a dirty, run down bathroom chained to the wall across the room from anyone, I'm going to just kill myself right then and there.

Sean
04-11-2005, 04:45 AM
It was much better when I watched it the 1st time and it was called se7en.

kheldarin
04-11-2005, 04:48 AM
That movie was kinda retarded.

Trinitis
04-11-2005, 04:52 AM
I don't think the concepts are even remotely the same. Seven was about a serial killer. Saw was about a really fucked up guy, who never killed anyone. They all killed themselves (or got free, in the case of the one woman).

Seven was also pretty set in the killings. All about sins. The guy that wrote Saw was pretty good at comming up with some really screwed up ways of torture/killing.

kheldarin
04-11-2005, 04:53 AM
I admit, the fat guy in the wire thingy made me cringe a bit.

Was the main character, Ash from uhh, that one movie, Army of Darkness?

Asha
04-11-2005, 04:57 AM
Originally posted by Tijay

:lol:
Absolutely , totally spot on.

Asha
04-11-2005, 04:59 AM
:::
I admit, the fat guy in the wire thingy made me cringe a bit. :::
Kheldarin

Yeah, femeral artery + razor wire = me squirming on the floor in disgust.

Sean
04-11-2005, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Adredrin
I don't think the concepts are even remotely the same. Seven was about a serial killer. Saw was about a really fucked up guy, who never killed anyone. They all killed themselves (or got free, in the case of the one woman).

Seven was also pretty set in the killings. All about sins. The guy that wrote Saw was pretty good at comming up with some really screwed up ways of torture/killing.

The premise is still somewhat the same. In Se7en he kills them for the way they chose to live their lives, heres the quote from the murder in se7en where he discusses why:

David Mills: Wait, I thought all you did was kill innocent people.
John Doe: Innocent? Is that supposed to be funny? An obese man... a disgusting man who could barely stand up; a man who if you saw him on the street, you'd point him out to your friends so that they could join you in mocking him; a man, who if you saw him while you were eating, you wouldn't be able to finish your meal. After him, I picked the lawyer and I know you both must have been secretly thanking me for that one. This is a man who dedicated his life to making money by lying with every breath that he could muster to keeping murderers and rapists on the streets!
David Mills: Murderers?
John Doe: A woman...
David Mills: Murderers, John, like yourself?
John Doe: [interrupts] A woman... so ugly on the inside she couldn't bear to go on living if she couldn't be beautiful on the outside. A drug dealer, a drug dealing pederast, actually! And let's not forget the disease-spreading whore! Only in a world this shitty could you even try to say these were innocent people and keep a straight face. But that's the point. We see a deadly sin on every street corner, in every home, and we tolerate it. We tolerate it because it's common, it's trivial. We tolerate it morning, noon, and night. Well, not anymore. I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever.

In the end this is pretty much the same concept behind saw, punishing people who take life forgranted and live outside of the rules. Except instead of killing them he tortures them or basically makes them kill themselves.

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Tijay]

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Tijay

LOL Pwned.

And I totally agree Tijay. Both are about a madman who is trying to teach a moral lecture through torture and extreme forms of choice's.

Seven just pulls it off 100 times better in terms of gore, acting, mise en scene, sound and story.

[Edited on 11-4-05 by StrayRogue]

FinisWolf
04-11-2005, 06:07 AM
Gee..., you all really are not that helpful.

Guess I will just have to watch it myself someday.

::chuckle::

Finiswolf

SpunGirl
04-11-2005, 08:58 AM
Based on what I've heard about the movie, I just don't think I could stomach it. After reading this, I KNOW I couldn't. Here's to ew.

-K

Xcalibur
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Saw>7

04-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I saw the movie the first time and was like, "Kinda cool"
I saw the movie the second time and was like, "Christ, the acting and this whole movie blows"

- Arkans

Jolena
04-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Saw was incredibly sick but I'm a sicko so I enjoyed it hehe. Plus seeing the dude from Princess Bride in that roll made me giggle. :spin:

CrystalTears
04-11-2005, 11:17 AM
Hell I didn't even realize it was him until half way through it, and then exclaimed, "OMG AS YOU WISH!"

Jolena
04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
:lol2: That is JUST what I did. Only...about 10 minutes into it. I sat straight up and yelled out "As you wiiiiiiiiiiiish" with a cackle hehe.

DeV
04-11-2005, 12:07 PM
I didn't watch this movie expecting it to be a mini version of Se7en but I was disappointed with the plot and acting anyway. The twist was disappointing as well because it was leading up to be a bit too obvious in th end. I really like psychological thrillers even badly done ones so I was definitely entertained.

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
Parts of it really creeped me out, so I suppose it accomplished that. Beyond that, the acting was terrible (even though I love the Princess Bride guy), the makeup sucked (you could see the line of pasty-faced makeup quite easily near the end), and there were several huge plot holes that I won't go into as they're probably considered spoilers.

Jorddyn

Warriorbird
04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
I prefer the ugly Jamaican sauciness of the reggae artist Lady Saw (slightly famed for that "I Got Your Man" single) to that really bad movie. It wanted to be Evil Dead-like in potential. It...wasn't.

Kuyuk
04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
I thought saw was good for what it was.

K.

Asha
04-11-2005, 02:36 PM
So , is someone going to scream out the spoiler?
It's only fair for anyone who hasn't seen it yet!

:cough:

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Drayal
So , is someone going to scream out the spoiler?
It's only fair for anyone who hasn't seen it yet!

:cough:

Unfortunately, screaming out the spoiler takes explaining half the movie. And I'm not that mean.

Jorddyn

Asha
04-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Spoiled in 2 sentences.

Sorry if this wasn't edited fast enough.

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Drayal]

04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Because the movie was terrible.

- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM

HUGE FRICKIN SPOILER

Um, yea, there are like 4 people in the movie. You may want to edit that.

Jorddyn

Asha
04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Done
:(

04-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Not like the movie is new or anything.

HEY GUYS THE FISHERMEN IN PERFECT STORM ALL DIE!

- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Not like the movie is new or anything.

- Arkans

No, but I just saw it last weekend. I'm sure there are still people who haven't seen it who intend to.

Edited to add that the perfect storm is based on a true story where all the fishermen die. Saying they all die is a spoiler is like saying that they crucify Jesus is a spoiler to The Passion of the Christ.

Jorddyn, not seen either, not surprised by either

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Jorddyn]

Asha
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
Meg Ryan dies in City Of Angels just before Nicolas Cage gets made a 'real' person.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
AERIS (AERITH) DIES.

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Meg Ryan dies in City Of Angels just before Nicolas Cage gets made a 'real' person.

Bastard!

Wait, wasn't it just after?

Jorddyn

Asha
04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn

Bastard!

Jorddyn

Then why'd you say 'bastard' if you knew?

still, made me laugh.

StrayRogue
Originally posted by Jorddyn

Bastard!

Jorddyn

Yes. She was going to the store to buy fruit and stupidly CLOSES HER EYES WHILE RIDING A BIKE ON THE MAIN ROAD. She deserved to die.

Warriorbird
I die at the end. It's all a movie, baby.

04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
THE TITANIC SINKS!

IN VANILLA SKY TOM CRUISE IS IN A COMPUTER PROGRAM!

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 02:49 PM
BRUCE WILLIS IS DEAD.

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:50 PM

Did not know that one. Of course, I don't plan on seeing the movie.

Jorddyn

04-11-2005, 02:50 PM
IN THE OTHERS NICOLE KIDMEN AND ALL THE KIDS ARE GHOSTS!!!!

- Arkans

Wezas
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM

- Arkans

WTF, that is rude - I haven't seen that yet.

Neo is the one. :saint:

04-11-2005, 02:52 PM
If you REALLY wanted to see Vanilla sky you would seen it like the 5 years ago when it was released :(

- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:53 PM
They find Nemo.

Wezas
If you REALLY wanted to see Vanilla sky you would seen it like the 5 years ago when it was released :(

- Arkans

BAMBI'S MOM FUCKING DIES! :D

Darth Vader is Luke's father.

- Arkans

Warriorbird
04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
"I watch gangsta movies and root for the bad guys, but I turn it off before the end because the bad guy dies."

-Lloyd Banks

04-11-2005, 02:54 PM
I always thought Bambi was a girl. I was like.. "She's kinda cute" does this make me cross from metro to homo?

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
EDWARD NORTON IS TYLER DURDEN.

Wezas
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I always thought Bambi was a girl. I was like.. "She's kinda cute" does this make me cross from metro to homo?

- Arkans

Makes you a cross between a nazi and someone who practices beastiality. WTF, Bambi was a deer you sick bastard.

04-11-2005, 02:56 PM
No women find me cute :(

- Arkans

Wezas
04-11-2005, 02:57 PM
They end up saving private ryan.

04-11-2005, 02:58 PM
The Titanic sinks

- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
This topic has made me realize that I don't really need to see all the movies on my list, I just need to ask here for the short version.

Jorddyn

Wezas
04-11-2005, 02:59 PM
The Titanic sinks

- Arkans

You already said that one, you unoriginal bastard:

THE TITANIC SINKS!
- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
Edited to remove echo.

Jorddyn

[Edited on 4-11-2005 by Jorddyn]

CrystalTears
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm so glad that I've seen all those endings or I would have had to kill some of you people.

By the way, when Titanic came out and I non-chalantly mentioned the sappy end to the ship sinking, my friend smacked me for ruining the ending for her. Some people ARE thick.

Just for Tijay...

MICHAEL DOUGLAS REALLY IS TRAPPED IN A GAME!

04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
IN GLORY THE BLACK GUYS GET PWNED

- Arkans

CrystalTears
04-11-2005, 03:07 PM
THE WOMAN IN THE CRYING GAME IS A MAN, BABY! :lol:

04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
ROFL.. Funny story about that

I was watching with my friend that movie and I'm like, "Christ, that bitch looks like a dude"

He was like, "Luke, that's so mean! I think she's kinda cute"

Man, I almost pissed myself laughing when the camera was like.. *SHOT OF DUDE'S JUNK!*

- Arkans

Jorddyn
04-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Lou Gherig gets Lou Gherig's and dies.

Jorddyn

Caiylania
04-11-2005, 03:47 PM
In Fight Club brad pitt is the dudes SPLIT personality.

//on topic: saw weirded me out. Ick.//

Asha
04-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Poor Caiyl. It's been said.

I got one.
It's Brad pitts wifes head in the box in se7en.

(if this was said before I said it . . I wish I was dead)

Wezas
04-11-2005, 03:55 PM
I got one.
It's Brad pitts wifes head in the box in se7en.

I thought it was his unborn child. It's been a while since I've seen that movie.

Kevin Spacey is friggin awesome in it though.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 03:59 PM
You never see. But Spacey says, "So I took her pretty head" just as it's opened.

[Edited on 11-4-05 by StrayRogue]

Caiylania
04-11-2005, 04:18 PM
ummmm........ in LOTR the One Ring is destroyed.

:D

Edaarin
04-11-2005, 04:22 PM
This kid in one of my classes told me the ending to the Sixth Sense.

That shit pissed me off.

Atlanteax
04-11-2005, 04:28 PM
The Jews in "Passion of the Christ" kills Jesus Christ.

The Pope then declared war on Israel.

Mel Gibson makes $billions in the black arms market.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Jesus is strangely white in that film. Considering they went so far to make it authentic, you'd think they would have got his complexion right.

04-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Heh, Arkans friends says "You're so mean" and we're supposed to think hes not gay

Latrinsorm
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Jesus is strangely white in that film. Considering they went so far to make it authentic, you'd think they would have got his complexion right. What struck me more than the whiteness was the unbelievable shape he was in. Guy had a 6-pack and everything. For some reason I don't think Jesus was doing a ton of sit-ups, maybe it's just me.

Minor flaws in an awesome retelling, though.

CrystalTears
04-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Not that this is the place for this type of discussion, but Jesus was a carpenter as well. There was no reason to believe that he couldn't have been a physically fit human being.

BTW, the actor in the movie "Jesus of Nazareth" is even whiter still, and that's been one of the best loved Jesus films to date. I think The Passion was a better portrayal of what he may have looked like, but that's just my personal opinion.

Warriorbird
04-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes. Them's some serious whiteys in the Middle East.

KymberlynX
04-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Saw sucked

Caiylania
04-11-2005, 08:18 PM
How the hell does anyone lay perfectly still for that long.

:::nods at Kym:::

Asha
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Jesus is strangely white in that film. Considering they went so far to make it authentic, you'd think they would have got his complexion right.

They got it soo realistic , that not only was he NOT black, it made me fucking cry. seriously. Can't see that kind of beating and not affect you in some way.

Edited to add : The NOT black part was said in sarcasm.

[Edited on 4-12-2005 by Drayal]

Leetahkin
04-11-2005, 09:44 PM
I couldn't get past how horrible Cary Elwes' acting was in Saw. The wire razor part was gruesome, but it was just a stupid movie.

I have yet to see Passion of the Christ. Guess I'm holding out to be in the mood for it.

CrystalTears
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
I have yet to see Passion of the Christ. Guess I'm holding out to be in the mood for it.

I don't think there's ever a "mood" to be in to see The Passion. You just to have to buckle up and see it. I own the DVD and I told myself I would watch it during Easter weekend. The thought of it made me cry. It will be a while til I see it again. Great movie, just really draining for me.

As for Saw, I was just impressed with what the guy did to the victims. Made me hope no crazy git out there would use these ideas and then find myself in a room with a cage on my head. I would die.

Liberi Fatali
04-17-2005, 04:57 PM

- Arkans

Hey, Arkans? Have you seen The Pianist? I'm fascinated by World War II, specifically the Holocaust, Nazi-Germany, and Hitler himself. People think I worship Hitler because I have posters of him, as well as all the documentaries in my library. I even learned German because of my fascination. Well, and incase I ever encounter some Neo-Nazi's, I can say: Töten sie die Juden!"(Kill all the jews!), and Wir können nicht noch stehen, bis alle tot sind!" (We cannot stand still till all are dead!)

Anyway, it's a really good movie. There's one scene where a group of 24 (or so) Jews are being led by two German soldiers. Then, a higher ranked soldier comes into the fray, and makes them all stop. He makes them line up, and then goes down the line and picks out 8 of them.

He then says, "Liegen Sie unten. Liegen Sie unten, JETZT!" Or... "Lie down. Lie down NOW!".

So they all lie down on their stomach. He readies his gun, and walks down the line. Pow, bullet to the head. Pow. Pow. Pow. One after another. He gets to the last guy and "CLICK". He's out of bullets. So the office reloads (which takes a good 25 seconds), and then POW. This is a true story -- hell, had that been me, I would have got up and tried to do something during that reloading period. He KNEW he was going to die, just by looking to his left he saw that the office had killed all the others.

And then there's this scene where the Gestapo go to the main character's neighbors house. The officer says to the family eating at the table, "Jeder auf Ihren Füßen. (Everyone on your feet). But the father is in a wheelchair, and he can't stand. So the officer goes to him and says, "Ich sagte, auf Ihren Füßen! (I said, on your feet!)" Again, he couldn't get up...

...So they pick his ass up, wheelchair and all, open the window, and dump him over it. Vroooooom... SPLAT. Killed him stone dead. They then drag his family (kids, too) outside and make them run -- only to gun them down.

OH BY THE WAY!!!!

To be on topic: THE LITTLE 4 YEAR OLD GIRL (the only person in color in the entire movie -- she wears a bright red coat) DIES IN SCHINDLER'S LIST!!!

Tabor.

Xcalibur
04-17-2005, 05:29 PM
That little girl was a symbole.
In the pianist, when the pianist's "friend" that get shot after awaiting 25 seconds for the reload, you must put things in perspective...

Every guy that got killed was a step closer to the revolt.

Asha
04-17-2005, 07:11 PM
OH BY THE WAY!!!!

To be on topic: THE LITTLE 4 YEAR OLD GIRL (the only person in color in the entire movie -- she wears a bright red coat) DIES IN SCHINDLER'S LIST!!!

Tabor.

-----------------

You ABSOLUTE MOTHERFUCKER!!

I'd only just decided I was going to watch that. It's in my housemates DVD collection and I thought 'why not'.
That better not have been a real spoiler or I'm gonna cut my neighbours cat in half.

Xcalibur
04-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Someone call the Humane society please or warn those chinese restos.

Asha
04-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Umm no man. We eat our dead pets up here.
The cat grill I make is awesome, you can really taste the claws in that.

04-17-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, I saw The Pianist. Excellent movie.

- Arkans

Liberi Fatali
04-17-2005, 07:47 PM

You ABSOLUTE MOTHERFUCKER!!

I'd only just decided I was going to watch that. It's in my housemates DVD collection and I thought 'why not'.
That better not have been a real spoiler or I'm gonna cut my neighbours cat in half.

Hah, cheers, mate. Worry not, it's not even a significent scene in the movie. Most people don't even catch it -- it requires a sharp eye and a keen mind.

Obviously people will make note of this girl I speak of, as she's quite adorable, and roaming around aimlessly in the streets with a red coat (it's a black and white film, remember).

What people often fail to not see is later on in the movie. I believe it shows a bunch of bodies piled ontop of each other. If you look quite closely, you'll notice the red coat among the corpses, meaning she bit the dust and was bamboozled by a Nazi.

Honestly, I don't know how the Nazi's (or anyone else, for that matter) could kill a little child -- or even an elderly person. I'm content with them killing people in the age range of 16 - 70. I don't think I'd have the heart to lay the coup de grace on a child/baby, though. Even if I knew s/he would grow up to kill me or something similar, it would be quite difficult to do so.

In the Pianist, there's this scene where this girl keeps repeating, "WHY'd I DO IT?! WHY'D I DO IT?!" Someone makes mention that she's quite annoying, and asks what she did? Apparently, she was hiding with her family when the Nazi's were searching for Jews, and her baby started to cry, so she put her hands over its mouth and sufficated it.

Tabor.

4a6c1
04-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Oh man. Back when it came out, I saw the Pianist, went to a Holocaust survivors art exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts *and then* I went to the Holocaust Museum itself.

I'm in love with history but, holy crap, talk about a downer of a day. Love hurts. In a good way. :lol:

Dwarven Empath
04-17-2005, 07:48 PM
In "Open Water" they both die.

My wife won't ever go scuba diving, ever!

Artha
04-17-2005, 07:55 PM
I'd spoil Napolean Dynamite, but it doesn't have a plot so that makes it really hard.

Caiylania
04-19-2005, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Artha
I'd spoil Napolean Dynamite, but it doesn't have a plot so that makes it really hard.

I'll remember that if I ever bother watching it.