PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone stay in-character anymore?

allen
04-09-2005, 11:43 PM
Kiesha says, "Woo, 4166 til 51 now."

Was said in open, just kind of annoying if you ask me.

Solkern
04-09-2005, 11:46 PM
No, No one has stayed in char since I played 903428402 yeats ago

TheRoseLady
04-10-2005, 12:20 AM
It does happen, folks either don't know or don't care. The best thing you can do is act like you didn't hear it. I know it's hard, but you'll be happier in the long run. Or if you're feeling up to a potential conflict whisper to them.

AnticorRifling
04-10-2005, 12:23 AM
If you're only action is to post it here you have no right to bitch. I tend to whisper to the person if they do that and if they get lippy I put something thru their spines. Why? Because I hate people speaking gibberish around me as it makes me think they are crazy and I fear for my life given crazy people are sporadic in their actions and almost all of them in Elanthia have some sort of weapon.

ElanthianSiren
04-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Nope. Nobody stays in character anymore. Nobody roleplays! Damnit! The thrak is dead! We killed that bastage and ate his ole scaley torso.

WTF question is this?

When OOC people bother me in GS, I avoid them. That's why my characters live in RR pretty much exclusively.

-Melissa

Apotheosis
04-10-2005, 03:28 AM
:lol:

you asked a question that has such an obvious answer.. how naive

Drew
04-10-2005, 04:47 AM
I just act as though I didn't hear it, maybe they were talking in guildspeak?

If it's someone I know, I might whisper to them about it, the truth is: someone turning 51 knows it's OOC, they just don't care.

Asha
04-10-2005, 08:19 AM
I R rP sT1LL!!!

:heart: Me and my rP TechNiQu3!

Fallen
04-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Some do. Some think they are in character, but most that are would consider them not to be. The rest aren't and don't care.

Eiderfleur
04-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I always stay in character.

Of course I have slipped up a couple times, but I tend to remain in character for the most part. I hate when people around me start talking OOC and Eider tends to 'not understand' what's going on or just ignore it.

Even at inn tables I try to remain in character unless there is a specific reason to go out of character.

Asha
04-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Eiderfleur RP is as follows:

Eat Shim
Shriek Shim
Wail Shim
Give Shim my quartz orb
Pace Shim
Sob.

Kthnx
/sarcasm.

Edited to add :
Team up with Chica and harass Shim.

[Edited on 4-10-2005 by Drayal]

Theyesman
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Eider is a jewel, always in character.

I try to remain not ooc.

Tables on the otherhand are a completely different matter.

Heh, I'll have to post a log from the other night when Hecto had an assist and i had to interact with Zyllah.

Eiderfleur
04-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Eiderfleur RP is as follows:

Eat Shim
Shriek Shim
Wail Shim
Give Shim my quartz orb
Pace Shim
Sob.

Kthnx
/sarcasm.

Edited to add :
Team up with Chica and harass Shim.

heh What can I say, Eider is a hobbit of few words.

:P

Asha
04-10-2005, 11:40 AM
And that's why we love em'

Divinity
04-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Aurawyn's RP is as follows:

Squint Shim
Ponder Shim
Smooch Aura
Squint Shim
Raise eye Shim
Hide

Kthnx
/sarcasm.

Yeah, that's close enough to Eiderfleur's RP!

Hehe.

Anyways, yes people RP. That chick just doesn't seem to care, and I've run into that attitude among many people. Just ignore them.

Asha
04-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Shim RP when with Aurawyn.

Shimmerain smiles aura
>

Divinity
04-10-2005, 12:03 PM
:rofl:

Sylvan Dreams
04-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I have to agree with allen, I've been actively looking for ANY type of RP, even if it was real bad attempts, for the past three days. I had a hard time even getting people to talk to me unless I was being outright obnoxious and/or hostile. I have some good interactions with Eriselle, Anticor, Nordred and Serijaan last night, but not much else.

- Debia's player.

Divinity
04-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Where have you been looking?

Asha
04-10-2005, 12:36 PM
Go to Ta'illistim.
Offend the dais occupants with some MILD, totally non-hostile talk and then RP for you life when they all prep their spells and Cmans.

Divinity
04-10-2005, 12:38 PM
What the.. I have never had that problem in Illistim. Yes, they are very cliquesh (sp?), but I haven't had any bad interactions with people, yet. Heh.

StrayRogue
04-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Cliquish? The Dais is full of power gamers. And a power gamers response is what you'll get in TI.

Divinity
04-10-2005, 12:40 PM
Illistim really does remind me of an older-trained Solhaven. Yes, they are cliquish.

I hate spelling that word.. ::growls::

Asha
04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Divinity
What the.. I have never had that problem in Illistim. Yes, they are very cliquesh (sp?), but I haven't had any bad interactions with people, yet. Heh.

Honestly, it's easy.
Once you've achieved this target, I'll see you in Sylvarraend.
Where all burned RPers decide to spend their Ta'llistim hunting days.

Edited to add : Stray totally hit the clit with the nail.
Spot on.

HarmNone
04-10-2005, 12:41 PM
Personally, I have no idea how you guys deal with the kinds of in-game idiocy I see mirrored here. I thought it was bad when I left, and it's obviously done nothing but get worse.

I don't play a roleplaying game to spend my time ignoring those who haven't the faintest notion what roleplaying is. From what I'm reading, unless you hang out with your own group of roleplayers all the time, that's what you're dealing with. It just wouldn't be worth it to me.

Warriorbird
04-10-2005, 12:44 PM
Hopefully, someday some views can change.

HarmNone
04-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Heh. Gotta admire your optimism, Warriorbird. I wish I'd been able to sustain it.

Eiderfleur
04-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Funny...... People mention all the cliques in Illistim, Teras, RR etc, Eider has never had any problems with any of this, even when RPing with people in any of these towns. At the moment I am distracted and not been hanging around the dais much as I've been having some pretty bad headaches these last few days so mostly going off to the inn so I can look away from the screen without being "asleep" on the dais where people will try interacting with me.

Warriorbird
04-10-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey, I'm not subscribed right now either, HarmNone.

Trinitis
04-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sylvan Dreams
I have to agree with allen, I've been actively looking for ANY type of RP, even if it was real bad attempts, for the past three days. I had a hard time even getting people to talk to me unless I was being outright obnoxious and/or hostile. I have some good interactions with Eriselle, Anticor, Nordred and Serijaan last night, but not much else.

- Debia's player.

Depends on where you look really. I don't claim to be the end all RP'er, but I do feel I give my best to RP. The thing is, I'm not going to search out RP. Wondering around throwing out RP invites to people seems more OOC then "living life" in game.

You won't ever see me just walk up to someone on PC and atempt to RP. :shrug:

Jolena
04-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Personally, I have no idea how you guys deal with the kinds of in-game idiocy I see mirrored here. I thought it was bad when I left, and it's obviously done nothing but get worse.

I don't play a roleplaying game to spend my time ignoring those who haven't the faintest notion what roleplaying is. From what I'm reading, unless you hang out with your own group of roleplayers all the time, that's what you're dealing with. It just wouldn't be worth it to me.

:lol: I posted in another thread saying that is JUST what I do now. I have around 15 or so people I interact with in a RP situation and if it werent for them, I'd probably quit.

On another note, I had a younger character in Pookas last night and it was surprisingly nice. Many of the people there were funny, in character and helpful to each other.

Course..there was that one person who I won't name who said "So what happened, were you getting pwned by the pookas?" :lol2: I thought I would die. Stun (as another persona) wanted to kill him on the spot.

I also was on the net in the Landing earlier as Jolena and heard someone say about an announcement stating we should be careful in hunting grounds due to lag "Be careful with creatures? lol"
:rolleyes: I thought to them with an OOC bit of advise about how that is out of character and should probably be avoided and my response back from him was "Oh right. That's nothing compared to the idiocy I have seen on the net from others. No different from ttm really" At that point, I just rolled my eyes and let it go. Only so much you can do.

Jolena
04-10-2005, 03:41 PM
Yet another classic example--

Jenix says, "Mm.. seemz it is too much for me monsieur."

Whyssper quietly says, "I'll get it."

Jenix says, "Thankz che'rie."

You see Jenix the Empath.
She appears to be a Sylvankind.
She appears to be very young and taller than average. She has almond-shaped crystal blue eyes and bronze skin. She has very long, curly silver hair with a white streak running through it. She has small pointed ears.

Wheee, the sylvan from France! :lol2:

Sylvan Dreams
04-10-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Adredrin
Depends on where you look really. I don't claim to be the end all RP'er, but I do feel I give my best to RP. The thing is, I'm not going to search out RP. Wondering around throwing out RP invites to people seems more OOC then "living life" in game.

You won't ever see me just walk up to someone on PC and atempt to RP. :shrug:

I'm not throwing out RP invites. ALL in-character interaction *IS* RP. I'm having a hard time finding IC interaction that is beyond "Can someone help me with my disarm/tackle/warcry task?"

Perhaps I should have explained myself better. I'm having a hard time just finding IC interaction beyond someone asking me for guild assistance. I'm not asking to find a well developed character rich in history and full of charming quirks - although that would be awesome.

Nilandia
04-10-2005, 05:21 PM
I do tend to be in character as much as possible and welcome friendly reminders if something I do is not. That's as all characters I play and any town I'm in.

That may just be because I'm an RP addict, though. I'll RP with anyone willing.

Nilandia

SpunGirl
04-10-2005, 05:23 PM
wtf. Other languages aren't supported in GS, I would have reported that shit.

What people don't realize about "cliques," I guess, is that it's a nice safe place to RP. Usually there won't be some fucking idiot in a set group of people that's like, "I r 52 levelz!"

I had a nasty experience recently while RPing a little conflict over a table with someone I didn't know. By that I mean Naessi did not know the person, and I did not know the player behind the character. Not only did she use a false mechanics pretext to get into the table, but when we were encouraging her to leave she said TO ME "Well imagine that Kris."

WTF. I don't know who told her my real name or why she thought it'd be appropriate to use in ELANTHIA, but how fucking ridiculous is that? I won't have anything to do with her or any of her many alts as a result. I don't even know who the fuck this chick IS, and I definitely don't want her calling me by my real name (and a nickname at that!) in Elanthia.

-K

theotherjohn
04-10-2005, 05:27 PM
no

Jolena
04-10-2005, 06:35 PM
<<wtf. Other languages aren't supported in GS, I would have reported that shit. >>

I considered it and then decided to just whisper to her about how completely out of genre that is and how the country who's language she is speaking does not exist in Elanthia so it's impossible for her character to know it. She was really okay about it. Asked me though if I play Chrono Cross and then when I said I did not, she said she took a bit of her accent and characteristics from a character there. This particular person had to even ask me what OOC meant. After I talked to her a bit she seemed very nice and said thank you for the help. Hopefully she'll stop that nonsense with the French language but who knows.

SpunGirl
04-10-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow, Jolena. If someone had that reaction if I whispered to them, I'd probably faint dead away at my computer. I've tried to tell someone nicely, and privately, before that their actions are OOC, and gotten mostly crap as a result. Hence the hastening to just REPORT instead of deal with it myself.

I guess there is hope after all!

-K

Snapp
04-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Same here, Spun. They get so offended, it usually ends up making them worse. They'll start cussing/insulting on top of the OOC. :thumbsup: Jolena

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
<<wtf. Other languages aren't supported in GS, I would have reported that shit. >>

I considered it and then decided to just whisper to her about how completely out of genre that is and how the country who's language she is speaking does not exist in Elanthia so it's impossible for her character to know it. She was really okay about it. Asked me though if I play Chrono Cross and then when I said I did not, she said she took a bit of her accent and characteristics from a character there. This particular person had to even ask me what OOC meant. After I talked to her a bit she seemed very nice and said thank you for the help. Hopefully she'll stop that nonsense with the French language but who knows.

Character in question is Harlequin, a damn cute female clown.

The fact that you can have black skin, yellow skin, red skin, white skin but everyone is speaking the same damn common is really bugging me.

Jolena
04-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah she did mention the character in Chrono Cross is called "Harle" I assume that's short for Harlequinn. It would be a tad odd to have 'human' as a language however. And if there were no 'common' for everyone to speak to each other in, then how would anyone of another race ever understand what the others say? I mean come on X. They would have to literally revamp the language systems completely to make that work. One would have to be able to learn other languages through some means in order to be able to understand someone else of a different race. Without there being a common language, that would be the only way to communicate. THAT would be dumb in my opinion.

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Lady, do you know what is a katana beside being a JAPANESE saber (long saber)?

Lady, do you know what is a kopesh sword beside being an EGPYTIAN heavy dull bastard sword?

Lady, do you know what is an Écu, a marteau-de-fer... hell an half-plate armor?

A lot of gear INSIDE the game are used with the name associated to the countries that invented them AND were using them mostly.

So why in elanthia is there japaneses/french/egyptian/scotish/english (england)/indian/german if there isn't any people speaking those languages?

I would just want to be able to speak languages I know if it's still IG.

:!:

StrayRogue
04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
It isn't IG or IC. Thats the point.

The reason they use those names as they are the names of those weapons. When it boils down to it sword, shield and armor are all variant words dervived from different languages anyway.

If you want to be pedantic, be pedantic. People will just look at you strange or just report you for speaking a language not supported in Gemstone.

SpunGirl
04-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I think X should speak French, German, Spanish, whatever language he knows. Just keep speaking it and speaking it, even if you get a warning or anything. Just keep fighting the good fight...

-K

StrayRogue
04-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I agree.

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Always did, never had any reports.

"Up north, we don't say it like that"..

ohohoho

Ich heisse tot y tu?

Simu are, again, showing they're just dumb opportunists that put policies based on personal preferences and not on logics.

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:35 PM
"hey Lucas, let's put JAPANESE light sabers so we will attract more people in SWIII"

Hell, let's put those English yew longbow with LASER arrows.

How about a chakra or whatever you call it, you know, that ugly princess Xena with LASER on the tip of it...

OWOWUAOUAUOUE

p.s. Always blame them first.

StrayRogue
04-10-2005, 07:37 PM
You're an idiot.

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
By your standard.

And that means a lot.

:duh:

Asha
04-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Edited to add :
Wow, never had a post change while I was typing a reply before.
Nice one X

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:42 PM
You let idiots going out of your body when you go on the "throne"?

4a6c1
04-10-2005, 07:46 PM
Without acknowledging this thread or who posted the last post I will say that that is the single most disgusting mental image I have ever recieved from reading a public forum.

Xcalibur
04-10-2005, 07:47 PM
JAJAJJAJAJAJA the guy slowly sit on the "throne" and there's a piece of shit, no, a warclaidhm coming out.

AHAHAOHAHAOHA

SpunGirl
04-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Is anyone else seeing a theme emerge here involving Xcalibur and poop?

-K

Trinitis
04-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Hey X, could you please atempt to be on topic? If This thread don't improove soon, I'm going to ask Harmy to just lock it down. I really don't want to do this, as the topic of the thread is a fair and solid one to discuss.

FinisWolf
04-11-2005, 06:19 AM
I have to admit...

I attempt finding rp at times...

It's a challenge. There are some great folks that are far superior to any I have ever seen, sad thing is, many folks leave that are/were good at rp.

I am not a great RP'er..., I try... I love submersing myself inside the game to escape reality for short bursts of time.

Anyway, when I do peer out to see if I can get some rp in..., what do I find?

actions in thoughts
folks saying they have 56 till train
act abuse
smile abuse
tone abuse
name abuse
etc etc
blah blah

Anyway..., I do know its there..., one of the biggest things that has and does help my RP is my huge family. Some of my family definetly keep things very interesting. Relationships, assaults, introductions, games, and a multitude of other things.

Finiswolf

Asha
04-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I got fucked by some RP king once for doing this . .
-Thought net-

You hear the faint thoughts of Shimmerain;
::laughs softly::

I just thought, well fuck it. I'll never do that again.
Instead they'll just hear :
HAhahahEWHEWhehhhohohohohohohoho

:mad:

FinisWolf
04-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
I got fucked by some RP king once for doing this . .
-Thought net-

You hear the faint thoughts of Shimmerain;
::laughs softly::

I just thought, well fuck it. I'll never do that again.
Instead they'll just hear :
HAhahahEWHEWhehhhohohohohohohoho

:mad:

I can actually understand ::laughs softly:: what I can't and wont accept is... ::nibbles your ear:: or some other BS.

Finiswolf

rupa
04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Personally, I have no idea how you guys deal... unless you hang out with your own group of roleplayers all the time, that's what you're dealing with. It just wouldn't be worth it to me.
Well yeah, it can definitely be that way, but if you have a wide enough group of friends to interact with, it's easy to avoid the masses of morons. A lot like real life. And as far as comparing it to other MUDs, well even if the only people in GS were my pals, I'd still have more interaction at any given hour than Inferno and UL.

Oh... And then there's the crack-factor.

Jolena
04-11-2005, 11:16 AM
Yay for the crack factor! <insert evil cackle here>

04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
UL and Gemstone shouldn't even be compared. It's like putting a professional assassin in a fight with a 10 year old.

- Arkans

Showal
04-11-2005, 12:10 PM
I love RP. I have RPed with Arkans and Teclys pretty heavily on occasion. Aurawyn kicked me out of her PRO because I got bored at one of her meetings and she caught me outside the meeting room trying to convince a sorc to go in and just start throwing around spells and kill everyone. It didnt happen but it was still pretty funny. Showal's basically a bored child that can be very dramatic. He's always trying to get rid of that boredom.

I'll generally stay in a clique but there are a lot of people outside that group that i'll RP with on a frequent basis. The reason I stay in a clique is because there's a lot going on for Showal right now and the people in the clique are generally those that are involved in what's going on. But, if anyone know who Natularia or Nalaturia (something along those lines, a sylvan lady in Sol Haven) is, I'd like to thank her for the good time me and Caeleb were able to have RPing with her.

04-11-2005, 12:13 PM
:rofl: That's like the best way to get kicked out of a house.

- Arkans

PS: I never stay in character, I always talk about numbers, and I always just blast n00bs and yell out PWNED!!111

Amaron
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
I enjoyed arkans last night at the festival of contemplation. Had a blast.

j

04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
:D

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Showal
I love RP. I have RPed with Arkans and Teclys pretty heavily on occasion. Aurawyn kicked me out of her PRO because I got bored at one of her meetings and she caught me outside the meeting room trying to convince a sorc to go in and just start throwing around spells and kill everyone. It didnt happen but it was still pretty funny. Showal's basically a bored child that can be very dramatic. He's always trying to get rid of that boredom.

Aurawyn is one of those RP nazi assholes. The other day someone licked her from invisibility (I was presently hidden and AFK) and she sunburst and began accusing me. I get back and tell her on OOC that sunbursting is an actionable offense, basically a CvC invitation. I then tell her that you can't lick from hidden only invisibility. She responds by saying that her character didn't know that, and that it was called roleplaying and something "I wouldn't know about". Suffice to say, I hope she does it again.

04-11-2005, 01:03 PM
You're actually pretty forgiving, I would have blasted her.

- Arkans

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Yeah. Nothing's worse than some fucking smartass pointing out hidden and sleeping rogues.

Meges
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Eiderfleur

Of course I have slipped up a couple times, but I tend to remain in character for the most part. I hate when people around me start talking OOC and Eider tends to 'not understand' what's going on or just ignore it.

Even at inn tables I try to remain in character unless there is a specific reason to go out of character.

Wait, you always stay in character, yet sometimes you don't? I'm confused. Why do you consider barking and saying oodles hundreds of times a day RP?

Meges

IntegraC
04-11-2005, 02:45 PM
>> Wait, you always stay in character, yet sometimes you don't? I'm confused. Why do you consider barking and saying oodles hundreds of times a day RP?

Maybe she's RPing a hobbit dog? Although I don't get the 'oodles' part either. Oh well.

Xcalibur
04-11-2005, 02:46 PM
I never played any character (s) OOC.

Eiderfleur
04-11-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Meges

Wait, you always stay in character, yet sometimes you don't? I'm confused. Why do you consider barking and saying oodles hundreds of times a day RP?

Meges

You're trying to tell me that you have never accidently fucked up and spoken out of character when trying to whisper to someone else?

Eiderfleur rarely talks and these days only barks at a couple people, if anyone at all... As for oodles, its not part of her RP is just a fucking word...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oodles

Eiderfleur thinks everything is oodles bigger, smaller, etc etc.

It isnt something i pulled out of a hat.

As i mentioned, I only go out of character at tables on the rare occasions something has happened amongst a number of people and I was somehow involved, as in when another character and my character were invovled in some situation that required an assist etc.

Don't put words in my mouth, thank you very much.

faiyth
04-11-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by IntegraC
>> Wait, you always stay in character, yet sometimes you don't? I'm confused. Why do you consider barking and saying oodles hundreds of times a day RP?

Maybe she's RPing a hobbit dog? Although I don't get the 'oodles' part either. Oh well.

Or maybe she RPs some other character who is childlike in nature. I don't know the history of her character but just because a character acts childish doesn't mean their OOC. I'd hate to think that's the case since my character acts much the same way, except she doesn't pronounce and doesn't bark.. she just licks everyone (which to her is kobold for hello).

I don't usually go out of character unless it's in whispers or at a table, and often times it's got to be initiated by another person. I don't think anyone has every asked me my real life age, what I look like, where I live, etc.. the OOC I usually take part in via whispers is "Hey did you read about XXX on the forums?" or "did you hear about the new premium contest" etc.

I don't know if maybe I just don't watch for OOC or what but in the landing I barely ever see it. I do spend much of my roleplaying time in Helga's though, and usually people there are rather good roleplayers. I also don't use the amulet much either.

04-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Yeah. Nothing's worse than some fucking smartass pointing out hidden and sleeping rogues.

I can't really blame someone for sunbursting after some invisible smart ass starts licking them.

Not to say she should have followed the sunburst by accusing you, I just think that sunbursting after you are licked by an invisible person is quite different than getting your jollies by knocking AFK rogues out of hiding.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 04:34 PM
Since when did Sunburst reveal invisible people?

04-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Since when did Sunburst reveal invisible people?

It doesn't knock them out of invisibility, it tells the ranger who is invisible in the room.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Well lets review my initial post. I feel the line YOU CANNOT LICK FROM HIDING, bears re-consideration.

04-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Well lets review my initial post. I feel the line YOU CANNOT LICK FROM HIDING, bears re-consideration.

What part are you confused about? A Ranger who has just been licked by an invisible person will likely sunburst, since that tells the Ranger who is anonymously licking them. Is this a hard concept to grasp?

I didn't say she was right to accuse you, I just thought that the part when you rewrote history and mentioned folks knocking others out of hiding to get their jollies was an inaccurate description of your story.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
Me, being the logical man I am, if I was licked by an invisible person, I'd use 109 to get them out of invisibility. I wouldn't use an unfocused spell just to see who the fuck they were and ignore anyone who might be hidden. But then, that is a logical idea...

04-11-2005, 04:59 PM
Me, being the logical man I am, if I was licked by an invisible person, I'd use 109 to get them out of invisibility. I wouldn't use an unfocused spell just to see who the fuck they were and ignore anyone who might be hidden. But then, that is a logical idea...

Good luck breaking a anyone's TD as a Ranger casting out of the spirit circle. I'm not sure why your panties are in a bunch, but it's probably mostly due to the fact that rogues hate sunburst, and therefore you are unable to recognize even the simplest facts when they are explained at an elementary level. :no:

Rangers sunbursting after getting licked by invisible person

NOT EQUAL TO

Ranger running around knocking people out of hiding for fun.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Nope, its just mis-using a spell when they'd have an appropriate other to use. Or being a complete fucking retard and not knowing mechanics. But then lets re-read: She accused ME of licking her. And as I've said you can't LICK FROM HIDING.

04-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Nope, its just mis-using a spell when they'd have an appropriate other to use. Or being a complete fucking retard and not knowing mechanics. But then lets re-read: She accused ME of licking her. And as I've said you can't LICK FROM HIDING.

If you look back at my first post, you'll notice that I clearly stated that she shouldn't have accused you.

I think it's funny that you think it's fine to knock wizards out of invisibility, tho! :lol: Or should the Ranger not worry about knocking unrelated wizards out of invisibility?

609 is the right spell to use, you are wrong. Just admit you hate the spell 609, and are unable to discuss anything even remotely related to it without flying into a frothing rage.

StrayRogue
04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Explain to me how you can pull someone out of invisibility with Sunburst. Oh I forgot, YOU CAN'T. Now if you want to get someone who is pestering you with invisibility, you fucking use a spell that DISPELS or NEGATES invisibility, not something that will fuck up with other people. Its like using 410 or 435. Totally fucking retarded. What was even more retarded was saying its against RP to not know the difference between invisibility and hiding.

Showal
04-11-2005, 05:19 PM
<Nope, its just mis-using a spell when they'd have an appropriate other to use.>

Most rangers dont train in spirit until they are much older because it costs too much. Aurawyn probably doesnt even have 109. I know Showal's older than her and he doesnt even have 101 because it costs too much.

Parkbandit
04-11-2005, 05:28 PM
Explain to me how you can pull someone out of invisibility with Sunburst. Oh I forgot, YOU CAN'T. Now if you want to get someone who is pestering you with invisibility, you fucking use a spell that DISPELS or NEGATES invisibility, not something that will fuck up with other people. Its like using 410 or 435. Totally fucking retarded. What was even more retarded was saying its against RP to not know the difference between invisibility and hiding.

What about the other characters that are invisible and get pulled out by a ranger who somehow knows 109? My ranger at level 36 didn't know but 101 in the minor spirit list... and had no plan to learn anything more probably for a LONG while.

Meges
04-12-2005, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by Meges

Meges

You're trying to tell me that you have never accidently fucked up and spoken out of character when trying to whisper to someone else?

Eiderfleur rarely talks and these days only barks at a couple people, if anyone at all... As for oodles, its not part of her RP is just a fucking word...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=oodles

Eiderfleur thinks everything is oodles bigger, smaller, etc etc.

It isnt something i pulled out of a hat.

As i mentioned, I only go out of character at tables on the rare occasions something has happened amongst a number of people and I was somehow involved, as in when another character and my character were invovled in some situation that required an assist etc.

Don't put words in my mouth, thank you very much.

Wow, aren't we touchy. First of all, I did not put words into your mouth, I asked two questions. Second, you contradicted yourself and I was asking for clarification. You said you're always in character, then in the next couple of statements you said you broke character sometimes. That's what I was addressing. Third, jackass is a word too, but you don't "hear" me calling you that every other sentence, now do you?

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=jackass

Thank YOU very much!

Meges

Showal
04-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Whoa! Angry!

Eider's a hobbit. I think most hobbits have some sort of annoying quirk that they do constantly.

Warriorbird
04-12-2005, 04:56 PM
For no apparent reason.

ElanthianSiren
04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
wtf. Other languages aren't supported in GS, I would have reported that shit.

-K

False. The gemstone language policy has nothing to do with RP. It has to do with people using foreign languages to say things that aren't allowed in Gemstone.

Originally posted by Kennesaw
Category Help for New Players (1)
Topic Policy Discussions (12)
Message Re: Recent Policy Update (27)
By GS3-KENNESAW from PLAY.NET (Kennesaw)
On Aug 22, 2001 at 09:33

This has been answered before about foreign languages - so for those who missed it:

We're talking about people having conversations in foreign languages - i.e french, japanese, german, swedish, danish, swahili, etc you name it - the key word being conversations, not single words. If we eliminated any words of foreign origin, such as "I had an apple strudel today for lunch", that would be silly and virtually unenforceable - how would you determine which single word is unacceptable? But if you're sitting there saying "J'etaime Parfum" and the other person answers "Ich hasse Parfum" (or however it's spelled - my french is worse than my German <Grin>) then you're likely to get warned for it. HOWEVER - if it's a case where folks are just using key words to harass someone in a foreign language just so the target of the harassment doesn't realize what they're doing or using vulgarity in a foreign language - it still falls within the policy and can be warned, regardless of whethere it's a single word or not.

Bottom line: It depends.

K

Originally posted by Zulkata
Category Help for New Players (1)
Topic Policy Discussions (12)
Message Re: Recent Policy Update (35)
By GS3-ZULKATA from PLAY.NET
On Aug 27, 2001 at 03:59

Well, as usual Kennesaw gave the perfect answer. Words in other languages here and there are not bad. Oui, Hola, Chow, we have all to some extent used such words and nobody is going to punish you for them.

Talking in nothing but a forign language would generate problems. It also makes it very hard to Role-play when you don't have a clue what someone is talking about. We do have forign countries who play GS. For the most part these people have been oustanding using our native language for playing. Very few times has anyone had to say anything. This policy is a very slightly used one but it is important for you to understand. Again, the rule has not changed, it was only spelled out so people would understand it better.

Originally posted by Kennesaw
Category Quests, Sagas, and Events (6)
Topic Current and Upcoming Events (2)
By GS3-KENNESAW from PLAY.NET
On Feb 13, 2002 15:23
Subject Re: Some Random Thoughts (patent Kenne post - you are warned) (4591)

<< >>

o::chuckle:: I think we're getting way far afield of my original point - which was trying to point out that we should consider other perspectives before hammering a position. This, of course, was in response to the cries of favoritism because X person (and this is truly generic, I'm not withholding a name) decides that they don't like the way an event is run. I brought in several examples unrelated to events to try and point out how it is a case of multiple different things, not just events.

So, let's try and steer this back to current and upcoming events after this one note on non-english languages. The policy intent was to try and reign in the complete conversations in German or French or Japanese that were becoming prevalant and completely out of character talking about the real world or someone's high school or what have you. They were deliberate attempts to get around the OOC policy. I know this because in several cases, I have seen people asked not to continue OOC, so they switch to another language and keep up the same conversation - whispers would have solved the whole thing.

Both Krash and I have stated in the past that it is NOT a case of trying to eliminate the occasional phrase (i.e. Pinhead's example of Merci - personally, I wouldn't bonk someone for that. It's if they went on and on in french). Because, let's face it, if we eliminated words that come from other languages from english - we'd be left without a language ;)

Let's head this topic over to Roleplaying before Ysbail rightly so beats us all over the head with her Topic Golem. <G>

K

If they were trying to do away with foreign languages, they would have to round up all the ye and gin speakers of Scottish dialects and do the same.

What they were trying to curtail were a mass of people who spoke in other languages to avoid the language filters.

-Melissa