PDA

View Full Version : Sin City appreciation post

Apathy
04-08-2005, 04:02 PM
This movie kicks major ass. Seen it twice, its about 100x better in a theater with good sound. I like the hooker story the best. Sexy fighting hookers make me drool :)

Kitsun
04-08-2005, 04:05 PM
The movie really was well done.

Jessica Alba is the hotness.

I didn't like the protagonist for the hooker story line as much as I did Marv or even Willis's character.

DeV
04-08-2005, 04:09 PM
I enjoyed it also. Jessica Alba was hotness personified. :yes: The imagery kicked ass but I can't decide which story line I prefered the most.

Apathy
04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Yeah he was kind of weak compared to the other protaganists.

But the best character by far was Frodo Baggins. What a creepy little bastard hobbit.

Kitsun
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
They made sure Frodo wore glasses and didn't speak so people wouldn't confuse Sin City with an uncut scene from Lord of the Rings. Otherwise people would see him and go, "Holycow! So the ring really did do some uber stuff besides some sissylala invisibility!"

On another note, I'm nearly positive that the rooftop of hookers with guns is truly symbolic of heaven.

Apathy
04-08-2005, 05:08 PM
I think that is probably the best role Josh Hartnet will ever have. Much better than watching him try to not jerk off for 90 minutes.

Sean
04-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
I didn't like the protagonist for the hooker story line as much as I did Marv or even Willis's character.

Thats because they left out a lot of the story that lead upto where clive owen's character was. I kinda of understand though two transformation stories probably would have been a bit of overkill.

DeV
04-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
On another note, I'm nearly positive that the rooftop of hookers with guns is truly symbolic of heaven. That was one of the best scenes in the movie. :drool:

Apotheosis
04-08-2005, 05:38 PM
yes, that movie definitely renewed my interest in "bad" women :smilegrin:

kheldarin
04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
I didn't think Jessica Alba was that hot.

The Rory Gilmore chick and Rosario Dawson were much hotter.

Drew2
04-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by kheldarin
I didn't think Jessica Alba was that hot.

The Rory Gilmore chick and Rosario Dawson were much hotter.

Lol I'm glad someone else appreciates the hotness that is Alexis Bledel (Rory Gilmore).

I'm going to see it tonight. I can't wait.

DCSL
04-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I was disappointed that Nancy (Jessica Alba) didn't dress like her character in the comic. Comic-Nancy just wore a pair of assless chaps. What's wrong with Jessica!? IS SHE TOO GOOD FOR THE CHAPS?!

But other than that, it was amazingly similar to the comic. I mean, I picked up one of my Sin City comics when I got home and they even managed to match a bunch of the frames of the comic in some of the scenes of the movie. Bravo.

Jay
04-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I give it 3 severed heads out of 4.

04-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Okay, I just saw this movie and my take on it:

Bruce Willis's story: Fucking awesome. I like Bruce Willis as a character and his just had everything in it. I love the whole "old man that just won't die" aspect of the story. Definately up there.

Ugly Dude's Story: Ridiculously cool. His would have been better than Bruce Willis's story if it didn't feel so rushed. It seemed so damn easy for him to do all his things and it really didn't feel like an important story and that left me feeling a pissed off.

Hooker Story: Fucking horrible. Hated the protagonist, hated the enemies, hated the whole plot of it all. The hooker costumes were wicked bogus and didn't go with the movie at all. They done and fucked that one up. The ending was fucking terrible as well.

Josh Harnet: I was wondering what would happen with him until the end of the movie and it gave me a laugh. I loved it. Better than the awful hooker story.

- Arkans

Blazing247
04-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I agree. The storyline with Willis was great, the one with Marv was even better, the one with Dwight...sucked.

Latrinsorm
04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I liked all three storylines and Joshie. It was hardest to get into Marv's because he did the most blatantly impossible stuff. Bruce Willis wins, naturally. I think I'd have to also rate the hooker one as the worst, as the enemies were very uninteresting besides that guy from Braveheart and Mr. Red Sneakers was cool, but not all that cool.

Once again, Jessica Alba is hot, but she's not that hot. I don't think I can really say there was any woman in this movie who really caught my eye.

peam
04-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Arkans

Ugly Dude's Story: Ridiculously cool. His would have been better than Bruce Willis's story if it didn't feel so rushed. It seemed so damn easy for him to do all his things and it really didn't feel like an important story and that left me feeling a pissed off.

Mickey Rourke is a god.

I wish there was a movie based on the adventures of Marv alone.

"Sometimes, I ask pretty hard."

StrayRogue
04-10-2005, 07:28 PM
I personally think Lenny Mclean would have made the best Marv. Shame he's dead though.

04-10-2005, 07:32 PM
That whole movies was pretty "impossible" as far as things go. It's just the hooker story line had no redeeming qualities at all.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
04-10-2005, 07:38 PM
I agree wholeheartedly, but there's impossible and then there's "drop 5 stories + get hit by a car 3 times + get hit in the head with a sledgehammer + get shot 90 times in the chest + get put in an electric chair = no big deal" impossible. Not that it wasn't extremely entertaining, but the best heros are human.

Sylph
04-10-2005, 10:26 PM
Marv was the man.

I want to see more... I also just got a copy of Sin City pirated on DVD last night... Score!

04-10-2005, 10:38 PM
I agree. Then again, was Arnold a better hero in Terminator 2 or was Kyle Reese better in Terminator 1?

- Arkans

Drinin
04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
I agree. Then again, was Arnold a better hero in Terminator 2 or was Kyle Reese better in Terminator 1?

- Arkans

Reese.

04-10-2005, 10:53 PM
You've got to be kidding me... The Terminator was so much better and deeper. It actually started learning from Conner. Reese was so two dimesional compared to him.

- Arkans

Back
04-10-2005, 11:00 PM
I really need to get my ass to this flick.

About Terminator... sci-fi staple. Terminator deep? C’mon. Reese was the man because not only did he win, he slept with and knocked up Conner with the leader of the revolution.

Drinin
04-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Reese fucking attacked the terminator with a metal pipe, that gives him +billion points.

But seriously, Reese may not have developed quite as drastically as Arnold in T2 but that doesn't make him any less a hero. The guy stood up against a near-unstoppable killing machine just to protect the woman that he loved. Then again, maybe I am just biased. I disliked T2 and loved the first Terminator.

04-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Why the Terminator is better:

1. He is Arnold
2. He went from hardcore killa to good guy hero
3. Mini-gun
4. Started to learn from the humans
5. Reese got FUCKING PWNED!!!!11 by a pipe bomb
6. Whole bar room scene in Terminator 2

and the list goes on and on.

- Arkans

PS: Hookers in Sin City sucked

Latrinsorm
04-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Reese was more heroic because he *chose* to be a hero. The Terminator was merely following his program. The fact that Arnold >> whoever played Kyle Reese is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion.

Drinin
04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Why the Terminator is better:

1. He is Arnold
2. He went from hardcore killa to good guy hero
3. Mini-gun
4. Started to learn from the humans
5. Reese got FUCKING PWNED!!!!11 by a pipe bomb
6. Whole bar room scene in Terminator 2

and the list goes on and on.

- Arkans

PS: Hookers in Sin City sucked

The police station shooting gallery trumps all of that. Reese was FUCKING PWNED!!!!!111 by a pipe bomb, but at least it was with the intention of fucking the terminator over. Nothing better than one last 'Fuck you, bitch' as far as I'm concerned.

P.S. Sin City was great.

04-10-2005, 11:11 PM
What choice did he have? He had to fight or the human race gets owned by the Terminators. He was no different than the Terminator.

Kyle Reese = Fight or humans lose the war
Terminator = Fight because of program

Both HAVE to fight.

- Arkans

Back
04-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Drinin
Reese fucking attacked the terminator with a metal pipe, that gives him +billion points.

Word. And I may just be focused on the one movie. Over time, yes, Arnold became the hero. But that first movie, Reese was the man. He got pushed back to old tech to manage a crazy future killing machine. Top of the line.

All good movies have good villains. Arnold, in the first Terminator, is as good as it gets.

04-10-2005, 11:13 PM
Woah, woah! The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Good work Reese, but you STILL FAILED YOUR MISSION! The Terminator *DID* kill the T-1000. He survived. Kyle Reese FAILED.

- Arkans

PS: Sin City felt like a comic book

Latrinsorm
04-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Reese could have given up at any time. That he chose not to speaks to his (heroic) character. The Terminator has no choice, for it is a machine.

Also: there's fighting, and then there's volunteering to go back in time with no hope of return for a woman you've never met.

04-10-2005, 11:15 PM
Arnold = better villian. I completely agree. He so SO good as a hardcore ruthless killing machine. I have yet to see a better villian. C'mon, who remembers that scene in the night club when Arnold is search for Sarah, 80's music is playing, and right when he looks over towards her she ducks down. BEST PART IN A MOVIE EVER!

- Arkans

Back
04-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Woah, woah! The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. Good work Reese, but you STILL FAILED YOUR MISSION! The Terminator *DID* kill the T-1000. He survived. Kyle Reese FAILED.

- Arkans

PS: Sin City felt like a comic book

WRONG! If Reese hadn’t thrown it in Conner, her son would not have programmed him to be part of the revolution. REESE FOR TEH WIN!

Reese couldn't give up either. It's that or have all of humanity destroyed. If the Terminator didn't get him the nuclear fire would have.

Reese also went back in time because there was nothing left for him in the future. Skynet was completely destroyed by the time they sent him back in time. He was a soldier and that's all he knew.

- Arkans

PS: GO SIN CITY!

Drinin
Arnold = better villian. I completely agree. He so SO good as a hardcore ruthless killing machine. I have yet to see a better villian. C'mon, who remembers that scene in the night club when Arnold is search for Sarah, 80's music is playing, and right when he looks over towards her she ducks down. BEST PART IN A MOVIE EVER!

- Arkans

Agreed.

04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
See, that's the part I don't buy. I think the father could have been anyone. Judgement Day was inevitable and so was John Conner. They talk about it in Terminator 3. Anyone could be the father!

- Arkans

Back
04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
Best Terminator scene is when he rolls up in the burbs in the hot-wired station wagon and stop right on the toy truck. You knew something really bad was going to happen... and then he emptied his 45 in that chick.

Drinin
04-10-2005, 11:20 PM
T3, blech. I thought that ending was badass but the rest of the movie was average at best. Going through all that shit and then realizing that it was inevitable, awesome.

04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
You think that beat the night club scene? I dunno, that scene was good, but the mood was so perfect, with the slowdown in the camera and all.

I agree that Terminator 3 did not hold up to 1 and 2, but it's so hard to play in that league. The ending was so great when you see the small farm house and the trails from the missles rising when Judgement Day happens. Was scary, because who knows, we all might see something like that one day!

- Arkans

Drinin
04-10-2005, 11:23 PM
Gun store scene was good.

T: "Phase plasma whatever rifle"
Salesman: "Just what you see here buddy. So which'll it be?"
T: "All."
Salesman: "I might just close up early today"
(Arnold starts loading the shotgun with shells from the counter)
Salesman: "Hey, you can't do that!"
T: "Wrong."
BOOM.

Drinin
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
I still like the police station craziness the best.

Back
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Well, all I can say is I like the new version of Terminator with nice taste in clothes and cars, and adjustable tits.

04-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Hahahaha, Drinin, that was such a great scene. Who can forget the very opening scene in the past?

Token Punk in all 80's movies: "Nice night for a walk huh?"
Terminator: Nice night for a walk
Punk: LAUNDRY DAY! NOTHING CLEAN!
Terminator: Nothing clean..
Punk: This guy's a couple cans short of a six pack
Terminator: Your clothes, give them to me...

After that scene alone you know the movie is gonna rock hardcore.

- Arkans

04-10-2005, 11:26 PM
Frankly, I'd love to see Terminator 1 done with today's special affects.

What I'd like to see most?

Terminator 4: War of the Machines. That's right, all future actions. From the start of the war, to the fall of Skynet and Kyle Reese volunteering and getting sent back in time. Would be a great way to wrap up the series.

- Arkans

Back
04-10-2005, 11:28 PM
No way man. Terminator I has to stand alone in all its low-budgetness. Thats what made it so much more real.

As for Sin City, my favorite chick in the whole series was the japanese hooker with the naginata and swastika throwing stars.

04-10-2005, 11:33 PM
But who doesn't want to see more of the future?

Swastika throwing stars = awesome

Hookers = YAWN

- Arkans

Back
04-11-2005, 12:02 AM
She looked hot in the trailers so I hit IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/). Her name is Devon Aoki.

HAWTNESS HERE (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/2897/Events/2897/DevonAoki_Caulf_4705082_400.jpg?path=gallery&path_ key=0401792)

Sean
04-11-2005, 12:04 AM
You mean the chick from 2fast2furious or whatever?

04-11-2005, 05:22 AM
That chick is ugly

Sylph
04-11-2005, 05:22 AM
Thats her, Tijay.

kheldarin
04-11-2005, 05:41 AM
She reminds me of Tweety Bird.

FinisWolf
04-11-2005, 06:00 AM
She is ok..., I liked her persona in the movie.

Finis

4a6c1
04-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I saw this movie last night and it was fantastic. I cant wait to buy the DVD.

Czeska
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Wasn't thrilled when I left the theater, but the more I think about it retrospectively (and after learning some about the comic) I have to say it was really well done. I thought the black and white/color splashes thing would annoy and distract me, but it was fantastic.

Marv cracked me up.

Also, I thought Elijah Wood looked creepy *before* this movie . Now... just plain eye gouging.