PDA

View Full Version : Defending against Rogue ambushing.

Asha
04-06-2005, 07:27 AM
If the ambush from a well trained rogue forces my stance to act as though it were in offensive, that would make my DS around 300.

Now, I know rogues of 25 who can make that AS.
What I want to know is, is there a way to stop this DS pushdown?
I heard training in perception did so, but I haven't seen evidence so far.

It seems a little unlikey a freshly titled fella can murder a high lord in full defensive.

Asha
04-06-2005, 07:28 AM
Oh , and before anyone like PB or Edaarin answer with '' Rogues rule''.

I agree completely.

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Being older than them effects it most.

Parkbandit
04-06-2005, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Oh , and before anyone like PB or Edaarin answer with '' Rogues rule''.

I agree completely.

:whistle:

spunkmonk
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
theres a lvl mod

1x gets you full DS pushdown vs 80% lvl
1.5x gets you up to like level
2x gets you up to 5 levels over your head

DS pushdown is only active when AMBUSH is used from hiding

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Erm, no it isn't. Go out, hide and then attack. You still get a pushdown. And I get the full pushdown versus stuff older than me with 1x perception and ambush.

[Edited on 6-4-05 by StrayRogue]

Asha
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
So basicly , the only way I can stop my DS being pushed down so much is to train like crazy.

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Yes. Or increase the DS that cannot be pused down, such as by spells.

Xcalibur
04-06-2005, 09:03 AM
Don't get attacked by either being invisible, hidden or not there at all..

Best way to stop being pushdown:clown:

Asha
04-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
Don't get attacked by either being invisible, hidden or not there at all..

Best way to stop being pushdown:clown:

What?
:lol:

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Ignore him. The best way beyond age is to increase your maximum offensive DS. So spells, dodge, shield, DBs, whatever.

Asha
04-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Gotcha. Thanks for the tip.

Parkbandit
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
STILL WON'T HELP BECAUSE "ROGUES RULE".

Gan
04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
damn straight rogues rule...

so perception and ambush ranks on the rogues part increase the amount of pushdown the rogue will force upon ambush?

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
That is what is summised Ganalon, yes.

Gan
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
ah ha!

I knew keeping my perception ranks after switching from archery would pay off for more than just recognizing traps.

Someone tried to tell me that I had wasted points by keeping my perception ranks, especially since it was not used for anything but traps in non-archery rogue and I felt that was not the case but had no concept with which to refute that claim.

04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
A good gambit is to also have cloak of shadows up. It might not always work, but it is one more defensive measure.

- Arkans

Parkbandit
04-06-2005, 09:39 AM
One thing that has always irritated me with GS is that everything is such a damn secret.

Why can't they simply say that by training in perception and ambush increases the DS pushdown? Why is it up to the players to determine the rules of the game?

StrayRogue
Originally posted by Ganalon
ah ha!

I knew keeping my perception ranks after switching from archery would pay off for more than just recognizing traps.

Someone tried to tell me that I had wasted points by keeping my perception ranks, especially since it was not used for anything but traps in non-archery rogue and I felt that was not the case but had no concept with which to refute that claim.

Perception also deals heavily in how often you hit the location you aim for.

AnticorRifling
Does cloak of shadows work against silent strike?

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Against anything that stuns the target, I believe.

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
One thing that has always irritated me with GS is that everything is such a damn secret.

Why can't they simply say that by training in perception and ambush increases the DS pushdown? Why is it up to the players to determine the rules of the game?

Heh, http://www.play.net/gs4/info/combatguide.asp#Ambush

Ambush may be used with hiding or while in the open. When used from hiding, successful strikes may be much more lethal, and an opponent's defenses may be substantially reduced. The Ambush, Stalking and Hide, and Perception skills are recommended.

Agreed its not the formula, but the docs are alot better than they used to be.

Asha
04-06-2005, 09:49 AM
I thought training in perception stops the targets DS being pushed down so far.
I dunno.

Xcalibur
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
Who can 3X perception?

Again it's a roguish things:saint:

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't believe so.

Gan
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Agreed Drayal. I initially thought (because of the title of the thread) that in order to defend against ambushing you'd need high ranks in perception... thus the reason for my question. However, after reading the responses and re-reading the posts prior to my question I see that perception helps on the ambusher's part.

I've found that that improving my overall DS through spells coorelates directly to the ability to have a higher ambush DS when hunting Ithzir and having to deal with the ambushing scouts. And the ambushing DS that I see from their attacks against me indicate that its at or very near my offensive DS.

Being a shield/blade user I've increased the ET of my blade/shield (which adds to DS), could do the armor but I like my FGB, and have added on extra spells with the aid of imbeds, scrolls, and statues. My ambushed DS has gotten as high as the mid 500's not counting WOF and overall DS in the mid 600's (again not counting WOF which adds 100 to your DS).

Just based on that experience alone I'd say that, as mentioned previously, increase your overall DS and you'll see a direct relation to an increase in your ambushed DS. ANd using offensive DS is a good rule of thumb as to what your ambushed DS would be... in my opinion.

Asha
04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
Point taken, Ganalon.

Someone sell me that scaled leather longcoat. (10x db)

StrayRogue
04-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Yep, you've hit it perfectly right Ganalon. Prior to the complete conversion to GS4, in the testing instance, the DS pushdown negated spell DS, so you could push down folk into the minus numbers. That was tweaked so that the max DS pushdown you'd get would be the offensive stance + enchantments + spells DS.

FinisWolf
04-06-2005, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Yes, determine the rules of the game, after we have already been playing for YEARS..., alot of us are RE-LEARNING the game... what was known, is unknown.

Finiswolf

Artha
04-06-2005, 07:34 PM
The best defense is a 410 macro.

Gan
04-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Artha
The best defense is a 410 macro.

Stalk, stalk, stalk... wait, we covered this in a thread already.

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=4032

Artha
04-06-2005, 10:11 PM
You can press ctrl+z faster than I can type stalk <you>, and macros don't make you wait before you use them.