PDA

View Full Version : monks in DR Arena

Orthin
06-26-2020, 02:59 PM
I have a monk I am thinking of dusting off that I haven't played in a long time in his early 60s. Was planning on shipping him out but decided he might be fun to try with DR. Wondering how monks fair for DR and what might be a good build with the intention of just optimizing the arena?

Maerit
06-26-2020, 03:02 PM
AGIDEX max enhancives, toss in as much stamina recovery as you can manage, and MoC spam your way to win while using krynch stance. Gonna need a lot of MoC training too.

Orthin
06-26-2020, 03:57 PM
AGIDEX max enhancives, toss in as much stamina recovery as you can manage, and MoC spam your way to win while using krynch stance. Gonna need a lot of MoC training too.

excellent thank you!

kutter
06-27-2020, 04:49 PM

Maerit, just curios why you say MoC, is that for multiple attacks? My 70's UAC wizard has no MoC and maxes the arena nearly every time except for the odd occasion of dumb bad luck.

Maerit
06-27-2020, 05:14 PM
Maerit, just curios why you say MoC, is that for multiple attacks? My 70's UAC wizard has no MoC and maxes the arena nearly every time except for the odd occasion of dumb bad luck.

The thread is about monks. They dont have 506, but with enough MoC and AGIDEX, they can hit 6-7 times with only like 7s of RT. Without MoC monks are super slow attrition killers, which is not good for the arena.

wetsand
06-27-2020, 07:29 PM
My capped monk does okay in the arena. His killing speed increased when I hit 135 MoC ranks and 30 ambush ranks (along with 202 cman) but my UCS tonis bard at level 40 with no aimed attacks easily beats the monks solo times. If you could only be self spelled in the arena Monks would excel but that's not the case.

Donquix
06-27-2020, 11:34 PM
My capped monk does okay in the arena. His killing speed increased when I hit 135 MoC ranks and 30 ambush ranks (along with 202 cman) but my UCS tonis bard at level 40 with no aimed attacks easily beats the monks solo times. If you could only be self spelled in the arena Monks would excel but that's not the case.

what solo times are you getting on the monk?

wetsand
06-28-2020, 12:00 AM
344 seconds, which is pretty sad but that was ~1.5m experience ago. Should be a bit faster now but I'd still prefer running the arena on my bard.

Donquix
06-28-2020, 12:21 AM
my mailing it in time is 160 - 180 seconds with full moc. more like 140 when i'm not on autopilot

edit: accidentally a number

wetsand
06-28-2020, 12:38 AM
Nicely done, I have lots of things I could do to improve his time but I've semi lost interest in it.

Donquix
06-28-2020, 01:49 AM
190 MOC is a helluva drug

kutter
06-29-2020, 08:09 AM
The thread is about monks. They dont have 506, but with enough MoC and AGIDEX, they can hit 6-7 times with only like 7s of RT. Without MoC monks are super slow attrition killers, which is not good for the arena.

I understand it is about monks, just have never played any character that is UAC with MoC, so not familiar with the mechanics at all, in fact only alt I have with MoC is a paladin and he only uses it for multiple targets not multiple strikes on one target.

Elgrim
06-29-2020, 08:16 AM
UCS MoC is good. From my last hunt, just grabbed something quick.

You concentrate intently, focusing all your energies.
You explode into a fury of strikes and ripostes, moving with a singular purpose and will!
You attempt to jab a triton radical!
You have decent positioning against a triton radical.
UAF: 624 vs UDF: 546 = 1.142 * MM: 101 + d100: 59 = 174
... and hit for 4 points of damage!
Light strike to the eyebrow. That must sting!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup kick attack!
You wince as the dark leather gloves draw upon your blood as it strikes.
** A slender crimson and black tendril lashes out from a pair of dark leather gloves studded with crimson crystal shards and slashes a triton radical's chest! **

... 20 points of damage!
Slashing blow to chest knocks the triton radical back a few paces!
You attempt to kick a triton radical!
You have good positioning against a triton radical.
UAF: 624 vs UDF: 546 = 1.142 * MM: 111 + d100: 94 = 220
... and hit for 92 points of damage!
Fluid move followed by a leaping kick to back!
The triton radical is knocked to the ground!
Strike leaves foe vulnerable to a followup jab attack!

** Your veil iron-toed boots release a quivering wave of disruption! **

... 15 points of damage!
The triton radical's right leg jerks momentarily.
You attempt to jab a triton radical!
As you strike, a deep golden light surrounds your hands!
You have excellent positioning against a triton radical.
UAF: 624 vs UDF: 409 = 1.525 * MM: 110 + d100: 20 = 187
... and hit for 20 points of damage!
Cartilage in the neck pops audibly. Breathing isn't so easy anymore!
The triton radical seems at a loss for words!
You attempt to punch a triton radical!
You have excellent positioning against a triton radical.
UAF: 624 vs UDF: 535 = 1.166 * MM: 127 + d100: 39 = 187
... and hit for 57 points of damage!
Carotid artery crushed by strong blow to neck! Blood goes everywhere!

[You have 12 kills remaining.]
The triton radical gurgles once and goes still, a wrathful look on his face.
The dully illuminated mantle protecting a triton radical begins to falter, then completely fades away.
A white glow rushes away from a triton radical.
The dull golden nimbus fades from around a triton radical.
The brilliant aura fades away from a triton radical.
The very powerful look leaves a triton radical.
The white light leaves a triton radical.

Your series of strikes and ripostes leaves you winded and out of position.
Roundtime: 6 sec.

And thats a really poor example of how good it is.

Maerit
06-29-2020, 11:36 AM
I understand it is about monks, just have never played any character that is UAC with MoC, so not familiar with the mechanics at all, in fact only alt I have with MoC is a paladin and he only uses it for multiple targets not multiple strikes on one target.

Oh MoC was updated to make Monks super viable. Not super long ago, MoC did not work with UCS at all. It was only for AS based combat. Then some genius GM got in and made it work with unarmed combat which dramatically reduced the attrition issues Monks were facing and massively improved their time to kill. Especially since Monks can use 1213 (reduction to stamina cost) to basically spam mstrike (and stamina recovery enhancives make this even stronger).

The snip from Elgrim points out how it works. Basically you can focus mstrike a target and hit them repeatedly, and it auto-tier ups while doing the attack as well (assuming you aren't already tiered up from having krynch active). It's only viable for professions that can afford to get 90+ ranks in MoC. Also, it's not an option for wizards as using mstrike with 506 will "consume" 506 (you have to re-cast 506 if you mstrike). It's not bad for bards since it does not stop 1035, and you can continue to mstrike while Tonis is running, but it's debatable whether it actually is faster for bards.

Honestly the only two professions that greatly benefit from MoC with UCS are warriors and monks. Both because they can 2x MoC, and since they (generally) hunt from the open - plus it helps while berserking for warriors. Rangers/Rogues tend to use UCS from hiding, and can only 1x in MoC. Bards have Tonis going, which arguably makes MoC less useful. If someone really wants to make a UCS paladin, then I guess MoC would help them. For pures MoC is too expensive and not worth the 90+ rank investment.