PDA

View Full Version : My dog...

Betheny
03-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Has a heart murmur and fluid backup in his lungs. Meaning, he's going to die. He's 15, so we put him on a diuretic and he's improving, but it'll get worse. :(

03-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Sorry to hear that, I really am. I have an older dog myself and am making his life as comfortable as possible.

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
03-30-2005, 01:11 AM
=(

Hulkein
03-30-2005, 03:29 AM
Sucks... always tough when your dog dies.

At least he/she lived a nice long life.

Asha
03-30-2005, 04:49 AM
Edited to add :
Probably everything I just posted, wouldn't have helped.

[Edited on 3-30-2005 by Drayal]

Asha
03-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein

''His lungs''
''He's going to die''
''He's 15''
''Him on a diuretic''
''He's improving''

I knew Jocks had trouble perceiving the sex of anything not naked in a group shower.

I've sent you a new puppy in the mail Maimara!
His name is Muffy and he's gonna need to pee when he gets there.
:heart:

HarmNone
03-30-2005, 07:18 AM
I'm sorry, Beth. I know how hard it is to lose a pet you've loved for so long. He's lived a good, long life. When it's his time, he'll go knowing he was loved. It's the best any of us can achieve.

Hugs, hon.

Killer Kitten
03-30-2005, 07:21 AM
I'm very sorry about your dog Maimara. It's always so hard when they get old and become ill. I hope he pulls out of it and you get more time with him. Fifteen is quite a good age, you've been very blessed.

(They are giving him Lasix, right?)

Nieninque
03-30-2005, 07:31 AM
Awww, sorry Beth.
He has huge ears though...and thats a fucking huge worm he just killed there....just huge. Roa'ter?
Poor pup..

Brattt8525
03-30-2005, 07:55 AM
Aww what a cutie, sorry to hear about your little guy Beth.

PS Lol Nien good one on the ro'ater comment.

Asha
03-30-2005, 08:27 AM
I didn't dare comment on the huge worm thing, incase that was what's wrong with the dog!

Stroke him, talk to him and make sure he has his favourite blanket.
He'd hate to see you upset, so try to be cool around him.
Good luck.
X

Atlanteax
03-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Sorry to hear the bad news about your dog...

I recently found out that my dog has a heart defect where he (almost 3) may live 2 more years... but there's this human-based heart medication pill I'm using at the advice of the Vet to attempt to prolong his life expectancy.

Meanwhile, I'm sure your dog had a great life with you!

Skeeter
03-30-2005, 10:16 AM
Sorry about your dog. losing a pet sucks

Amaron
03-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Aww
I remember when my cat died. she was sick for so long.

Just make him comfortable and be brave when he seems in pain.

J

Hulkein
03-30-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Drayal

Originally posted by Hulkein

''His lungs''
''He's going to die''
''He's 15''
''Him on a diuretic''
''He's improving''

I knew Jocks had trouble perceiving the sex of anything not naked in a group shower.

LOL, I got pwnt.

Edited to add - I'm not really a jock, though. Just not very observent when posting late after drinking.

[Edited on 3-30-2005 by Hulkein]

DeV
03-30-2005, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your dog. : (

Treasure your last days with him...
Take as many photos of him/with him as you can...

I lost my 15 year old lab last year and it was tough as hell so I know what you're going through.

Betheny
03-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Aw you guys. No wonder I still post here occasionally.

The 'worm' is a dryer tube. Oscar (the dog)'s new favorite pasttime is chasing my ferrets around, and they like to go in one end of the tube and he'll chase them to the other side. For hours.

And, Drayal... Does the dog have a hawt accent too???

Edited:

Yeah, he is on Lasix. We're also sticking to baby aspirin for his arthritis (which being a daschund/chihuahua mix, he surprisingly doesn't have very badly... thank goodness) and we're treating his (OK tune out if you're easily grossed) bulging glaucoma eye with eye drops. He's mostly blind, but you'd be surprised how well he gets around.

[Edited on 3-30-2005 by Maimara]

HarmNone
03-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Just watch him closely for changes in his ability to tolerate activity. If you see him lying down and panting after minimal activity, or the activity he's been tolerating without a problem, he's in trouble. The fluid in his lungs is an indication of congestive heart failure. It's not an easy way to go, so you'll probably want to consider having him put to sleep if it becomes severe enough to take the fun out of his life. :(

Atlanteax
03-30-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Just watch him closely for changes in his ability to tolerate activity. If you see him lying down and panting after minimal activity, or the activity he's been tolerating without a problem, he's in trouble. The fluid in his lungs is an indication of congestive heart failure. It's not an easy way to go, so you'll probably want to consider having him put to sleep if it becomes severe enough to take the fun out of his life. :(

This is sound advice.

It factored into my decision when I had to put down a 14.5 yrs golden retrieve several years ago.

HarmNone
03-30-2005, 04:15 PM
We had to put down a 21 year old Maine Coon cat for the same reason. We loved him too much to let him linger in a state that made him unable to do the things he most enjoyed.....like chasing our feet. ;)

Betheny
03-30-2005, 05:56 PM
We have never been a family to allow that to happen.

My first pet ever, Bandit (cat), we put down because he got to the point where he would not do anything but lie there.

Princess, our beagle, we put down because she couldn't even make it outside to go to the bathroom. Life just wasn't fun for them anymore.

It's a shame we can't do the same for people.

Snapp
03-30-2005, 06:30 PM
What a cutie he is. Sorry to hear he's gotten ill, Beth. :( Going through similiar right now with my 15 year old Mini Schnauzer.

Artha
03-30-2005, 06:49 PM
He sort of reminds me of my dog, who's getting on in years too (I think she's 10-13). Sorry to hear he's sick, hope he gets as much better as possible.

03-30-2005, 06:57 PM
As cheesy and beef wellington as it sounds, I live my life with my dogs as if it was my last. The loss of a pet is really harsh and I do hope the time you have left with him is enjoyable and memorable.

- Arkans

Killer Kitten
03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Your pet will always tell you when it is time to let go. Sometimes people can't let go and they prolong their pets life long past when the pet wanted to leave.

Other techs always had harsh words for such owners, but I always felt doubly bad for them. When you love something so much it's damnably difficult to make that decision and most people second guess themselves to death for years after.

I always just do the best I can and let my heart guide me. A couple of months ago I had to euthanize my beloved Myron cat and it was terribly hard for me. I'm sorry you're nearing the end of your pets life and I hope the Lasix and good care you're giving buy you some more time with him.

Betheny
03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
I always knew there was a good guy somewhere in there, Arkans.

I dunno, yesterday he was acting fine, but today he's coughing a lot. I've got him down here by the computer on his doggy bed so I can keep an eye on him. He seems tired more than anything. I think he's likely lazy/not feeling well because of the weather. Because yesterday he was acting like he was a pup.

03-30-2005, 11:31 PM
Don't let the secret out :P

One thing I noticed with my dog Rex's medication is that it has a TON of side effects. You might want to check what the medication might do besides help your pet. Also, dogs can be quite sensitive to the air quality! Make sure the air isn't too dry (actually happened with my boxer) or there is no smoking (not sure if you smoke, did, or never have) around the pet too! Lots of things can come into play. As you said, weather can be a factor as well.

- Arkans

Betheny
03-30-2005, 11:45 PM
Oh boy.

See, when he started coughing, I was pretty sure it was an upper respiratory thing, because my ferrets both got them when I moved in here. My mom's a 2 pack a day smoker. I re-took up smoking when I moved in here, but I'm nowhere near her caliber.

I hadn't thought about side effects of diuretics, other than him peeing a lot.

Don't suppose anyone knows what sort of effects Lasix has on pets?

HarmNone
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Increased urination should be expected, and it is important to be sure any animal taking Lasix has plenty of water available. Weakness, restlessness, and gastro-intestinal upset are other possible side effects.

I've never heard of coughing being a side-effect of Lasix. The coughing could be the result of the fluid still in his lungs, however.

03-30-2005, 11:59 PM
http://www.bullwrinkle.com/index.html?ShoppingPages/lasix-for-dogs.htm~indexmain

What are the side effects:
Side effects of furosemide may include nausea, vomiting, weakness, loss of appetite, increased urination, electrolyte imbalance, diabetes, itching and rash.

- Arkans

PS: I'm *VERY* willing to bet the smoking plays a big role. Dog's do have a much more sensitive respitory system than us humans.

Showal
03-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Dogs, i might be wrongs, dont have that sensitive of respritory systems. Ferrets, however, do ... very much so also.

03-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Usually depends on the breed. I'm not 100% familiar with the breed in concern, but I do know that it is a good rule of thumb to consider dogs being sensitive to cigarette smoke.

- Arkans

Showal
03-31-2005, 12:05 AM
I think it's a pretty good rule of thumb to not subject your pets to smoke, in general.

AnticorRifling
03-31-2005, 12:15 AM
My step dad smoked about 2 packs a day of Paul Maul unfilters. That smoke hangs down around the floor. My dog used to have to walk through that haze. She got breast cancer, which sucks more so for a dog because she has six+ breasts. The tumors grew huge and we had to put her down because the vet said she was too old to survive the surgery.

Asha
03-31-2005, 06:29 AM
And, Drayal... Does the dog have a hawt accent too???

Hahah,
He sure has, darlin.
You can't teach that!
:bouncing: