PDA

View Full Version : Cheating Wife who had 2 separate affairs get 27% of Estate

Atlanteax
03-28-2005, 11:55 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/03/25/divorce.settlement.ap/index.html

Introduction:

"BRIDGEPORT, Connecticut (AP) -- A judge has awarded the former wife of a multimillionaire businessman a divorce settlement worth more than $40 million even though she admitted having affairs with her rock-climbing guide and a man she met on a flight to China."

And she wanted 50% ...

I'd say she should had gotten 10%, tops (assuming that she did not contribute to the Husband's business, which seems unlikely considering her recreational activities)

03-28-2005, 11:57 AM
I wonder if she was hot.

- Arkans

Wezas
03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
No Children
+
She Cheated Twice (and admitted in her testimony)
=
Give her one of the cheaper houses and 1 mil to live off of.

The mean part of me says if there's no children and she cheated twice, she should get exactly what she came into the relationship with and anything she may have earned from jobs worked during the marriage.

Atlanteax
03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
I wonder if she was hot.

- Arkans

Affairs were while she was in her 40s.

But I'd say that she had money to blow on the guys... who did not mind that.

Parkbandit
03-28-2005, 12:13 PM
She should get a FUCKING JOB.

Blood sucking leech bitch.

No kids + She couldn't keep her legs closed = Welfare.

Shari
03-28-2005, 12:43 PM
Believe it or not, I'm with the boys on this one.

The woman shouldn't have gotten SHIT aside from what she entered the marriage on, and if she had a job, her salary from that.

DeV
03-28-2005, 01:20 PM
The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.
Karma's a bitch.

Killer Kitten
03-28-2005, 01:30 PM
There's generally two sides to every story, especially in a marriage. Generally a spouse doesn't stray unless they're unhappy, and it sounds as if there were issues in this marriage even before she was unfaithful. It also sounds like she married him before he was making the big bucks.

Wezas
03-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by DeV

The couple met in 1978 when Howard Sosin was an assistant professor at Columbia University. At the time, she was married to another man and working in retail.

I read that part too. I wish they would have came up with some kind of detail about it. I mean, I met my girl while we were both dating other people. But neither of us broke the other up.

::edited to fix my quoting::

[Edited on 3-28-2005 by Wezas]

Ryenn
03-28-2005, 01:35 PM
A marriage is only as strong as the weakest person in it.

~ Anonymous

Hips
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Heh. Bridgeport is the ghetto town next to the town I live in. :(

Xcalibur
03-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
Believe it or not, I'm with the boys on this one.

The woman shouldn't have gotten SHIT aside from what she entered the marriage on, and if she had a job, her salary from that.

I expect 100% of the people to be on the men. And yes that's causing men to hide some part of their cash now.

Congratulation, feminism.

Sean
03-28-2005, 02:12 PM
As I said the 1st time I read this ... For $40mil I know a few places they'd never find her body.

Farquar
03-28-2005, 02:13 PM
I think the same thing will happen to Seinfeld in the future. Seinfeld stole his current wife away from her previous husband, whom she had been married to a whole 2 weeks. Some women are, by nature, unfaithful whores, and there's no getting around it.

I would have serious doubts about the fidelity of a woman whom I had managed to pull out of a marriage. Breaking up a "dating" relationship doesn't mean much, but breaking up a marriage is a big deal, especially if you're the one with the leftovers.

Xcalibur
03-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Women aren't whore.

Women are being that seek the most powerful to be "secured"

it's in their nature to be unsecure.

Don't blame them, blame their creator:weird:

African American
03-28-2005, 02:54 PM
Another perfect example of why getting married is for idiots.

Edaarin
03-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I liked it when women couldn't own property.

I liked it more when women were property.

Xcalibur
03-28-2005, 03:10 PM
The last 100 years are a pain for most men...:flamed:

DeV
03-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
The last 100 years are a pain for most men...:flamed: The pain in a woman's ass that is.

Xcalibur
03-28-2005, 03:31 PM
OUACH!!!!

Only people like you would be thinking about that part that should be an exit for everyone.

OUACH!!!!!!!

Sylph
03-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Say it with me.... EVEN IF YOU ARE BROKE: PRE-NUP!

DeV
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Xcalibur
OUACH!!!!

Only people like you would be thinking about that part that should be an exit for everyone.

OUACH!!!!!!! Comprehension. Believe me, it works. :)

Xcalibur
03-28-2005, 03:40 PM
Sorry.. I don't want to think about that.

DeV
03-28-2005, 03:47 PM
I noticed.

Scott
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Ryenn
<<The mean part of me says if there's no children and she cheated twice, she should get exactly what she came into the relationship with and anything she may have earned from jobs worked during the marriage.>>

Regardless of children I don't think anyone in any marriage is entitled to anything that they didn't put in. You should get out what you put in, period.

Nah. That wouldn't work at all. A lot of people give up certain things for marriage. A friend of mine has a PHD in pyschology, but she doesn't work. Her husband makes more then enough money for the both of them, so she stays home with the kids. It was her husbands idea, but she's quite happy being able to spend time with the kids.

It would be damn near impossible to figure out what each person made, who should pay for what, etc. Although anyone that is a multimillionare should be getting a prenup, this guy is a moron for not signing one.

xtc
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
There's generally two sides to every story, especially in a marriage. Generally a spouse doesn't stray unless they're unhappy, and it sounds as if there were issues in this marriage even before she was unfaithful. It also sounds like she married him before he was making the big bucks.

So problems in a marriage equal being a skanky hoe? The only this bitch should have got was a bus token.

Regarding said marriage problems here is what the Judge in the case had to say:

"The parties' marriage has been undeniably marred by the defendant's infidelity," Superior Court Judge Howard Owens stated in his verdict. "Although her sexual relationship was not the sole cause of the breakdown, it did effectively terminate the marriage."

xtc
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by DeV

Karma's a bitch.

ok granted but what about her karma?

Tsa`ah
03-28-2005, 09:12 PM
No matter how disatisfied a person is with a relationship ... YOU END IT BEFORE YOU SLUT YOURSELF OUT!

If you want sex with people other than the person you're married to, and that is the type of relationship you got into, and that is the understanding between you and your spouse ... don't sleep around, end it first.

To echo the previous posted sentiment ... Don't marry a person that leaves a relationship for you. Don't marry the person that cheats on their SO with you ... they will in turn do it to you.

The man is an idiot for marrying her and for letting her get away with 40 mill.

The woman is a fucking genious because she married a geek and got to fuck who she wanted, and now will be paid for it.

Just another example of how men think with their dicks more than 50% of the time.

AnticorRifling
03-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Let's not use the D word as mine is currently burnt due to me falling asleep in a tanning bed. Hurts to walk because my drawers brush the tip.

DeV
03-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by xtc

Originally posted by DeV

Karma's a bitch.

ok granted but what about her karma? It goes both ways. She'll get hers if she hasn't already. Always two sides to a story.

Artha
03-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Let's not use the D word as mine is currently burnt due to me falling asleep in a tanning bed. Hurts to walk because my drawers brush the tip.
http://www.bobbrews.com/ukimports/ukimports_images/SpottedDickSm.jpg

Souzy
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Didn't someone post this article already?

Brattt8525
03-29-2005, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

You need to cover that poor little guy up Anticor, damn!

Tsa`ah
03-29-2005, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
You need to cover that poor little guy up Anticor, damn!

:lol2: She called it little! :lol2:

Poor Anti.

xtc
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

lol burnt? or buring sensation when you pee?

CrystalTears
03-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
Didn't someone post this article already?

Somewhere else. ;)

Scott
03-29-2005, 07:23 PM
It isn't an issue whether it would work or not. It will never happen. I was saying "should happen" and referring to an ideal situation in my mind.

I agree that people do give up certain things for marriage. It's a hard call to say whether or not the woman in the above example would be entitled to financial assets that she did not earn. Speaking from experience, however, my wife doesn't have to work because I make enough money for both of us. She takes care of my home and child, yes. However, if I had my choice I would certainly love to be totally supported in a nice lifestyle with absolutely no financial stress with my only job being to take care of the person in the world I love the most. Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Should someone be able to enjoy those luxuries and get paid on top of it?

Yes, in this case I think my friend has every right to get money from the husband if she and him were to break up. It's a choice they both made together, for the good of the family. Sure, she may have it pretty easy but to how can you say "Hey, you get what you made throughout the marriage, which comes to a grand total of $10,000, please take your kids and find a new home since your husband paid for your current home. Oh, good luck paying for food too while searching for a job."

P.S. I'd much rather have my job then take care of kids all day.

Xcalibur
03-29-2005, 07:29 PM
In the US, isn't there a similar law that saids that after X number of months, you're considered "engaged" with the other and have the same responsabilities/consequences in case of separation?

In canada, after 1 year, it's the same deal that if you were married.

CrystalTears
03-29-2005, 07:38 PM
It's more like anywhere between 7-10 years, depending on the state that recognizes common law marriages.

Scott
03-29-2005, 09:13 PM

Good points. However, I would not for one minute say that she is entitled to 50% (or more) of his assets (the guy in this thread got off lucky, IMO), which seems to be about the going rate in divorce these days. She should be entitled to child support and alimony to support a reasonable lifestyle. There is no reason why men should have to support their ex-wives in the "lifestyle that they had become accustomed to" if they (the ex-wives) did nothing to facilitate that lifestyle financially. I do not agree that she should automatically be entitled to his home because that is considered the "best living environment for the child" unless, of course, she can afford to pay at least MOST of the bills there without his help.

As I said, it will never happen, so the point is a moot one. The best thing a man can ever do is protect his assets ahead of time by putting them into other peoples' names.

Oh I absolutely agree. I don't believe ANY woman deserves 50% for life of what her husband makes. Personally, if you cheat..... I think you should get nothing. I think the current system is completely fucked up.

However I think this man is an idiot for not filing a prenup. You have 40m, woman has little to nothing..... That should just throw up a flag to sign something.

[Edited on 3-30-2005 by Scott]

Ryenn
03-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Love conquers all.

CrystalTears
03-29-2005, 09:30 PM
It doesn't seem to appear that he had that wealth when they got married. He earned $182 million later on in the marriage.

Since he earned that due to work and nothing that had to do with her, I don't see why she should get any of it. The legal system as far as divorces go sucks hard, and I think it's sad that the man gets the unlubed end of the stick. It's not fair, even in this day and age of supposed equality and political correctness.

Brattt8525
03-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
It doesn't seem to appear that he had that wealth when they got married. He earned $182 million later on in the marriage.

Since he earned that due to work and nothing that had to do with her, I don't see why she should get any of it. The legal system as far as divorces go sucks hard, and I think it's sad that the man gets the unlubed end of the stick. It's not fair, even in this day and age of supposed equality and political correctness.

Don't say she didn't do anything, we don't know the whole story. Besides you can bet that she did something or she sure as hell wouldn't have lasted that long with such a RICH man. There is the issue of entertaining his friends, making him look good at functions, there are alot of things that go into making/helping someones image etc in a marriage.

Do I agree she deserved what she got? I am torn on that. She was there for him while he didn't have all of that money, why did she cheat? was the stress too much, did he not give her what she emotionally needed? There are too many what if's in this.

And before you go on the pretense of she should have left if she wasn't happy, you aren't her, nor do we know what went on in their private lives.