PDA

View Full Version : Ashrim and other quest "Running" doesn't always pay

Revalos
03-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Its about time someone had a quest like the Ashrim one on the Wavedancer to make folks realize that mini quests are not always about running through the traps and puzzles to be the first one to the loot shack.

That kind of mentality really destroys any fun those kind of quests have for me, I can't interact with any other PCs as they're all generally OOC trying to guess verbs or run around like crazy trying to be the first one to an undiscovered area.

The problem is that this idea of "speed pays" has been so ingrained by various and sundry means that it really pisses people off if they have to wait because they're afraid they're missing something further on.

I am looking forward to more small quests at a leisurely pace where you learn someting and gain a semblance of background for your character (as well as meet new folks) and less about the first five people to the X get the vorpal swords of doom.

Here's Lothwyn's take on it----

GS4-LOTHWYN
Feel the Power!

Ignore Author

Email Author

The Ashrim Way-Back-Machine... · on 3/28/2005 12:40:33 AM 2995

Hello everyone:

I realize some of you may not have had a fun time on the Ashrim Way-Back-Machine, some of you are confused at what you witnessed (bugs and typos included), and others are kind of happy in a mottled-semi-weird way.

The purpose of the event was to give players a glimpse at a bit of history. Nothing major like the fall of Despana, but a sliver of time that people read in our documents. Unfortunately, because of the event chosen, event participants were destined to fail at the beginning.

The majority of the quest was based around storytelling, which I'm afraid some of you were a bit too fast and excited for the event, and ran past the storytelling. When you traveled to the location, there was an NPC there to greet you and involve you in the flow of the story, and in this instance - history. It was our intentions that you stopped there and engaged the NPC, but as I said - some of you were too excited and too fast, and whooshed right by him.

The NPC began the story of the encounter, and slowly involved players - including tasks for players to do. When the invasions happened, there was meant to be a strong sense of hopelessness and death. Specifically when the summoner brought never-before-seen major demons onto the field.

The demons were meant to have immunity to specific things, until the story progressed and you, the players, discovered a way to weaken them. This has been seen before in terms of major demons with previous events we have ran in the past (Most noteably the Minor Demon release event where major demons invaded Ta'Illistim). The NPC then would bring reinforcements of Ashrim. I'll also note, I saw players killing off the Ashrim who were trying to help players fight the Faendryl. :) This is likely a result of not many people having interactments with the Defender Creatures.

After the weakening, which took place by several players, more major demons and Faendryl arrived in higher droves to reinforce the power the Faendryl had over the Ashrim, specifically with their summoning abilities. This was near the end of the quest, and the players were then pulled from the time-stream and watched the flow of time play out. There were more plot points to this, but I will not post those to save some surprise for future runs participants.

Ultimately, there was no goal for this encounter, other than to prove to the ghost Ashrim that nothing could have stopped the Faendryl in their goal of destroying Ashrim elves. It was mostly storytelling, and participating in history. Now, I will say this... you've not heard the last of the robed, and guilt-feeling, figure who started all of this. I'll leave it at that.

Now, I admit there were some design flaws when it came to the quest which will are going to be corrected. The basket bottleneck was the major one, which is kind of funny as most of the island was in the other direction and not up the basket - yet everyone clogged up there. :)

Also, if you guys have suggestions on what would make this type of event better for everyone, for future references, my e-mail is always open - or you may post here. Suggestions can't hurt, as we're here to make things enjoyable for everyone.

I hope you guys enjoy the rest of the event, and hunting on Southron Wastes.

L

Shari
03-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Yeah I thought his post was very cool. He was actually a lot nicer about how people were so "excited" they rushed by what happened.

This is why I could never be a GM: "If you dumbass quest whores would take it down a notch instead of rushing to try and get some sort of "prize" at the end of it all, it might have been more enjoyable for you and others."

I plan on attending the second run, which I realize was a good idea now since I sortof know what to expect.

Yeah...and cause the maps will all be completed too. :D

Atlanteax
03-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Jesae
Yeah I thought his post was very cool. He was actually a lot nicer about how people were so "excited" they rushed by what happened.

Yeah...and cause the maps will all be completed too. :D

Agreed, Loth is one of the more frank GM posters willing to post the objective view while not hiding so much behind a flame-retardant suit.

As for the WaveDancer, I'm still stunned that there were no Maps released, particularly on the GMs part.

If they went through all that effort for the WaveDancer, why would they literally shoot themselves in the foot by not providing a map?

Does not make much customer-service sense to me.

Kitsun
03-28-2005, 12:34 PM
My memory might be failing me but I don't remember any Simu provided maps besides the Dhu Gilly.

I tend not to do quests because I always find a way to die and darnit the Ashrim one was no exception. Getting whacked by that Faendryl Palestra though helped me come to the conclusion that those Ashrim were so totally, undeniably fucked.

Which is the same conclusion everyone else had after the whole mess.

Hips
03-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Some of us weren't rushing at all. But I don't understand why they couldn't have made it tiered the way the first quest was.

Jay
03-28-2005, 01:16 PM
They marketed the event as a cruise ship. Every single cruise ship I have been on has had an orientation map for all passenger accessible levels. Period. They should have had one here.

StrayRogue
03-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Kitsun
My memory might be failing me but I don't remember any Simu provided maps besides the Dhu Gilly.

They provided a map.

AnticorRifling
03-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by GS3 Michiko
Some of us weren't rushing at all. But I don't understand why they couldn't have made it tiered the way the first quest was.

You didn't get blood on my armor did you?

Hips
03-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling

Originally posted by GS3 Michiko

You didn't get blood on my armor did you?

A whole damn lot of it, yeah. That Faendryl palestra hit her for 230 damage. :(

Asha
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Soon, the weapons found at the end of the quest will be worthless.
:banghead:
They fucked up.

Jolena
03-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Yeah I kind of resent the statement that all of us who left the NPC were quest whores :lol: Actually, we were speaking to the NPC and he had to go. He said he'd be back in a bit and our small group left and went exploring in cabins and paths for items such as rope and such to use to try to climb the rocks. Not all of us were in it just to get to the loot first. :(

Fallen
03-29-2005, 01:13 AM
Both Evarin and his player loved the event. It took me some time to actually realize what was happening, and the implications of the event as it happened. In the end, many were left confused, and though some did their best to explain, some weren't listening.

In all fairness, there were demons present that could break sancts, and kill any but the most highly leveled characters spelled to the hilt. They had mass maneuver attacks that killed instantly, and were prone to using them often.

Still, how many can say they personally witnessed the fall of the Ashrim?

Evarin and his Mis'ri

Stunseed
03-29-2005, 02:40 AM
Mekthros' implosing boucing back didn't help anyone at all. Heh.

Amaron
03-29-2005, 09:19 AM
That was the worst with this quest...

Interacting with the NPC was great at the catapult thing.

Then Being killed by Mekthros bounced implode.

I almost didn't go back. By the time we did get back it was about over...

So that was my let down. Being there would have been great but we missed half of the NPC stuff cause of that death.

J

Enoxo
03-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Drayal
Soon, the weapons found at the end of the quest will be worthless.
:banghead:
They fucked up.

What weapons? People said there was no treasure on the sunday quest.

Praefection
03-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Whoever said there's nothing to be gained from this quest is full of shit. Where the figure was, there's a box with a ring in it. I just got this from my bard.

This is a small item, under a pound. In your best estimation, it's worth about 10,000 silvers. You can also tell that there is some type of metal in the structure of the hazy glass ring.

You sense a faint aura of magic around the hazy glass ring. From the pitch of the vibration you determine that the purpose of the ring is as a decorative one, perhaps. You are not sure exactly. Also, it seems to have some sort of enhancive properties.

The ring resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
It provides a bonus to Mana Recovery.
It provides a bonus to Stamina Recovery.
You think that you could probably find out something more about the ring's enhancive properties if you tried.

The ring resonates with your voice, indicating that it enhances its owner in the following ways:
It provides a bonus of 5 to Mana Recovery.
It provides a bonus of 5 to Stamina Recovery.
The ring looks to have almost innumerable charges remaining.

Amaron
03-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Yeah that was put up after the quest and is a great gift!

J

Asha
03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
WTF?
I've been sitting with this in my cloak and was thinking it's just a bullshit piece of jewelry . .
Is it permanently charged?
Say yes!

And to clarify what I meant by ''they fucked up'' :
I felt the weapon I was lead to on the first quest was ruined by the fact anyone who was 'in the know' could have a hundred of them.

AnticorRifling
03-29-2005, 11:16 AM
Hmmm

It provides a bonus of 5 to Mana Recovery.
It provides a bonus of 5 to Stamina Recovery.
The ring looks to have almost innumerable charges remaining.

Almost innumerable meaning it's not innumerable meaning it's finite so I'm gonna say no to it being perma charged.

Hips
03-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Wait, so where was this ring? I went on the quest and I didn't see any ring. I would have liked -something- for all the bleeding and dying I did... :lol:

Edit: Not to mention with that ring, Michiko would have +10 mana recovery... if it stacks with the mana enhancer she won on the Dhu.

[Edited on 3-29-2005 by GS3 Michiko]

StrayRogue
03-29-2005, 12:04 PM
Stat enchancers do not stack. Only the most powerful applies. The bonus I tested was 2 stamina, but then it might be different from person to person.

Asha
03-29-2005, 12:17 PM
The robed figure on the stern left a box with the ring inside, Michiko.

Fallen
03-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Wait, so can you have stat enhancers, such as the GS4 giftbox items, AND use the ring, if the two don't clash with each other?

I have a sorcerer fetish, BTW

Artha
03-30-2005, 12:27 AM

Heh. Heh. Heh.

Fallen
03-30-2005, 01:47 AM
Stare

Hips
03-30-2005, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by Fallen
Wait, so can you have stat enhancers, such as the GS4 giftbox items, AND use the ring, if the two don't clash with each other?

Michiko has three enhancers (well, four now, counting the ring) and she can use all of them at once.