PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster and Specie Money

Taernath
04-07-2020, 02:41 PM
I got bored and somehow wound up on this website. Interesting look at how the currencies Rolemaster and other fantasy games use would cause problems in real life.

http://www.rogermwilcox.com/tin_pieces.html

Archigeek
04-07-2020, 03:23 PM
I have nothing to add, except that I loved the Rolemaster system, and it led me to recognize it right away in Gemstone, and decide to stick around.

Elgrim
04-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Very interesting read, and the opinion makes total sense.

I'm the opposite of Archigeek. I found Gemstone and loved the combat mechanics, which led me to Rolemaster and the Shadow World campaign setting, which I played for many years. Sadly its mechanics were just too heavy for most gamers, and it became impossible to find a group.

Archigeek
04-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Very interesting read, and the opinion makes total sense.

I'm the opposite of Archigeek. I found Gemstone and loved the combat mechanics, which led me to Rolemaster and the Shadow World campaign setting, which I played for many years. Sadly its mechanics were just too heavy for most gamers, and it became impossible to find a group.

Yeah, it was always a complicated mechanical system, but the critical damage charts were still fun.

Elgrim
04-10-2020, 11:41 AM
Yep, Spell Law and Arms Law were masterpieces of descriptive criticals :)

It was hella fun playing in Kulthea and making NPCs of the existing players I knew. Strom even had a respectable herbalism business on the side :P I pretty much created a campaign just on the GSIII hunting grounds that were open back then. Total blast!