PDA

View Full Version : Funky phone shit

Soulpieced
03-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Alright, here's the deal. I got my cell phone back in October 2004. About.. 2 weeks ago, I received a phone call from Dell financial services asking for "Mike". 2 problems.

1. I haven't bought anything from Dell in approximately 5 years.

2. I am not Mike.

I inform the caller that Mike does not own this (my personal cellphone) number. She apologizes and hangs up.

Over the course of the next 2 weeks, I have received approximately 4 personal calls, and 2 other 800 number calls asking for "Mike". I have said the same thing to each that this is a personal phone and "Mike" does not own this number. However, I just had the bright idea today to start recording what number the calls came from, time/date, and what was said. Problem is, all of the personal calls came from "unknown" numbers, so I can't track those.

What do you think my course of action should be? If I get any more calls from an 800 number, I plan on informing them I am on the national do not call list, and to please give me information ("Mike's" last name, how they got this number ((from him obviously)), etc.). After I can collect some information, I will probably call T-Mobile and inform them that someone has falsely been using my number by either giving it out to other people, or using it to sign up for deals with the intent of not being called. Any other ideas?

Warriorbird
03-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Check your credit rating.

Scott
03-21-2005, 07:01 PM
You can't track it, but your cell phone company can. Give them a call and ask them to track the numbers for you, they should be able to give you some information.

Soulpieced
03-21-2005, 07:02 PM
There has been no identity fraud or any problems with my credit or check card being compromised. Just a phone number.

Tsa`ah
03-21-2005, 07:43 PM
A few things come to mind.

Mike is giving out the wrong number.

Mike was the former owner of your number.

I started getting the same crap when I switched from Cingular to T-mobile. Text messages from somebody in Chicago telling me they love all three of us ... even though there are 4 in my home, messages asking if I'm available for consultation from someone in Ohio; just all kinds of crap. I think the latest thing on VM was a creditor looking for "Steve".

Sometimes I have fun replying to the text messages, most of the time I get sick of answering calls intended for some dead beat that passed on his old number.

Soulpieced
03-21-2005, 07:51 PM
So you think I should just continue to do what I've been doing and tell people that Mike does not have this number?

AnticorRifling
03-21-2005, 10:49 PM
I would. Normally I just sit there and fuck with whoever called me looking for "Joe" or whatever. It puts a smile on my face.

Mistomeer
03-21-2005, 10:51 PM
Get your number changed.