PDA

View Full Version : George Lucas is a Moron

Atlanteax
03-18-2005, 01:13 PM
In regard to SW3, George Lucas is quoted

""It's not like the old 'Star Wars,' " Lucas told theater owners at the ShoWest convention. "This one's a little bit more emotional. We like to describe it as 'Titanic' in space. It's a tearjerker."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/18/film.starwars.ap/index.html

When will Lucas learn that he's absolutely horrible at writing dialogue and creating "emotional moments" ?

I'd say that the quality of the recent SWs fell short of expectations based on the old SWs (in regard to the greater movie creation potential with improved technology used).

I'm not a SW fan, but have some friends are, and I dislike bad movies.

Also from the article:

Reaction was mixed on "Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" and "Episode II -- Attack of the Clones," many fans grousing that the first one was too much a kiddie flick and the second one too sappy a love story. Calling the latest movie a Faustian tragedy, Lucas said he is unconcerned about whether "Revenge of the Sith" draws more barbs from "Star Wars" fans.

I agree that SW1 was too much of a kiddie flick... and I'd say that SW2's supposed love story was a farce.

George Lucas, I'm disappointed in you. :down:

DeV
03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
A tearjerker. Fuck that.

Blazing247
03-18-2005, 01:21 PM
All I have to say is...why?

He has fucked this whole thing up from day 1. It was supposed to be a nonology, then he decided to nix the sequels. Then he went ahead and fucked up the prequels. He has basically delivered a steaming hot pile of dogshit wrapped up in a pretty special effects package and tarnished the memory of the original trilogy.

Mr. Lucas, you lose.

Warriorbird
03-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Eh. Looked like an action movie to me, which'd make it better than the others.

CrystalTears
03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Heh, maybe it's a tearjerker for Lucas cause it's his last Star Wars. Fucker. Way to not do the last 3!

I've seen the trailers and I don't see the emotional part. I see all the light saber fights and the war, but tears? Maybe when Anakin stops being a little pussy and starts being Darth Vader I'll cheer and shed a tear for happiness.

Personally I can't wait to see it. :laser:

Warriorbird
03-18-2005, 01:48 PM
They oughta shoot the other 3 as anime. The voices'd still work.

DeV
03-18-2005, 01:50 PM
The romance in eposide 2 didn't seem to fit and that make the story line suck somewhat for me. E-1 had JarJar and it was bad enough trying to figure out what he was saying with most of his lines. The trailer for E-3 looks damn good but if it's truly going to be a tear jerker that is a definite hands down already but I guess I can remain somewhat optimistic. But the last two episodes were disappointments in my opinion.

Tsa`ah
03-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Lucas has been a known moron for some time now.

New hope was good; it drew in the crowds and created a pseudo-cult following.

Empire, of all 5 so far is still the best ... and Lucas had little to do with it.

Return? I'm sorry ... it was a muppets flick with a warm and fuzzy ending that left a pre-teen Tsa`ah sick to his stomach. Had I been diabetic I would have died of sugar shock.

Phantom .... someone should have killed Jar-jar and made his appearance sacrificial. If I want comedy relief ... I'll take it from the droids. Young Anny ... terrible acting, terrible casting, terrible role portrayal. The best parts of Phantom were those centered on Obi Wan, Qui-Gon, and Darth Maul. Had that been the entire movie ... it would have rocked.

Clone wars ... again ... Kill Jar-jar .... bitch slap that cry baby Anny and let’s see more blaster toting, scantily clad Amidala. Fet's role was too small and under developed, Yoda didn't go bad ass until the later scenes, and Windu ... geez ... Say it like you mean it ... May the force be with you BITCH!

The problem with Lucas is that he wanted to make these films without realizing that he sucks at sequels. He's damned good with introducing the first film or one shots, but he blows with the follow up. The last two films, as I'm sure it is with the final chapter of the prequel, aren't really his concepts. He's done nothing more than put together a catalog of script writers and concept designers in order to pick and chose from a myriad ideas instead of going with one team, one writer, and one vision. The final result is that it shows. The films are choppy to watch, they hop around too much, and the story line is bumpy. Then again, he did have the brains to cut N-sync out of the arena scene of Clone Wars.

What it boils down to in the end is that I'll go watch it because I'm a sucker. I'll probably even buy whatever special edition 6 episode box set that comes out. Why? Because I'm one of those people that has to know the full story ... that's why I have the Matrix box set.

Lucas should have just taken a back seat and let folks responsible for the Jedi series from Darkhorse do it.

Warriorbird
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah. Dark Empire was badass.

Toxicvixen
03-18-2005, 02:28 PM
It may suck but as an SW fan, I am still going to be in the massive lines of other dorks going to the first showing at my nearest theatre. :D

The Cat In The Hat
03-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Don't care, I'll still be there opening day with the rest of the geeks.

Blazing247
03-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Yeah, I'll be there watching it, too. I was just terribly disappointed with Ep: 1+2. When I was younger, I read nearly every single Star Wars book that came out. They were written by independent authors, but they picked up where the original left off, with Luke coming into his own. I had hoped to see that kind of writing make it to the screens, but nope.

CrystalTears
03-18-2005, 02:45 PM
I didn't think they were as bad as people say they were. I like them all and own them on DVD. :shrug:

DeV
03-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Blazing247
When I was younger, I read nearly every single Star Wars book that came out. I thought I was the only one.

Yeah, I'll be going to see the movie as well despite my disappointments. Closure is all I ask for. At this point it doesn't even have to be great because nothing can even come close to the original anyway.

Warriorbird
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
I'll probably go see it for the trailer. I thought of Ep 1 as bad, 2 as so so...maybe 3 will make it to good.

African American
03-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
Empire, of all 5 so far is still the best ... and Lucas had little to do with it.

The last two films, as I'm sure it is with the final chapter of the prequel, aren't really his concepts. He's done nothing more than put together a catalog of script writers and concept designers in order to pick and chose from a myriad ideas instead of going with one team, one writer, and one vision.

And just where did you get that information from? Or are you just making it up off the top of your head based on your opinions of ROTJ and Episode I & II?

Tsa`ah
03-18-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by African American
And just where did you get that information from? Or are you just making it up off the top of your head based on your opinions of ROTJ and Episode I & II?

Why not just search for production notes and read them. There are so many names sporting the same titles and quotes like "in this scene we wen't with so and so's concept because it fit this portion of the script better".

Really Meth ... listen and read once in a while and stop digging for proxies.

Apotheosis
03-18-2005, 03:07 PM
I think the major disappointmet/angst towards the later trilogy stems from the result of most of us seeing the originals when we were like 2 - 15 years old. The movie experience then is not going to be the same as the later one.

With that said, the first part in the new trilogy sucked, the second was pretty good... obviously, we'll see what the third turns out like.

CrystalTears
03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

The last two films, as I'm sure it is with the final chapter of the prequel, aren't really his concepts. He's done nothing more than put together a catalog of script writers and concept designers in order to pick and chose from a myriad ideas instead of going with one team, one writer, and one vision.

Actually Empire Strikes Back had three story writers... George Lucas was one of them. He was also the executive producer and one of the editors.

Episode I and II were written and directed solely by him. I think it's better when he has other writers with him, even though A New Hope was his own work as well.

[Edited on 3/18/2005 by CrystalTears]

African American
03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Considering the source (source being you, who talks out of his ass a whole lot), I'd rather just ask instead of spending time searching the internet for something that might not be there.

Really Tsa'ah ... pull your head out of your ass and stop accusing everyone with a low post count of being Meth. You've already shown at least once how much you suck at it.

And get a life while you're at it.

[Edited on 3-18-2005 by African American]

African American
03-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Yswithe
I think the major disappointmet/angst towards the later trilogy stems from the result of most of us seeing the originals when we were like 2 - 15 years old. The movie experience then is not going to be the same as the later one.

The movie experience also isn't going to be the same when you already know what's going to happen. I'm sure the reaction to Episode III would be a lot different if nobody knew that Anakin was going to turn bad, wipe out the galaxy, etc.

The prequels have no shock factor because everyone already knows what's coming.

Tsa`ah
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Considering the source (source being you, who talks out of his ass a whole lot), I'd rather just ask instead of spending time searching the internet for something that might not be there.

I hear that claim, but no one ever bellies up to the bar to prove it. This has nothing to do with the topic however.

Really Tsa'ah ... pull your head out of your ass and stop accusing everyone with a low post count of being Meth. You've already shown at least once how much you suck at it.

Again, nothing to do with the topic, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon.

Thanks for showing me the fruits of labor in going to bat for you.

Mind getting on topic or are you that set on joining the same crowd as Seanie from the hills of Chino?

CrystalTears
03-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I think they were going to be in the scene with the jedi's towards the end? Now I can't remember but it would have made me want to stake George in the heart too if he left it in.

African American
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
You start going off topic, and then tell me to get back on topic (in the middle of your 100% off topic post) for responding to it?

You have issues. Get over yourself.

Anyway.....

What sort of role was N'Sync supposed to have in Episode II? I vaguely remember hearing about that but don't remember anything about what their role was actually going to be. Thank God Lucas axed that or Skywalker Ranch would have been burned down.

Tsa`ah
03-18-2005, 03:40 PM
You start going off topic, and then tell me to get back on topic (in the middle of your 100% off topic post) for responding to it?

You have issues. Get over yourself.

Anyway.....

Go read your response off-topic boy.

What sort of role was N'Sync supposed to have in Episode II? I vaguely remember hearing about that but don't remember anything about what their role was actually going to be. Thank God Lucas axed that or Skywalker Ranch would have been burned down.

During the arena scene, after Obi, Anny, and Amidala avoid execution, when the Jedis drop in to save the day ...N-Sync members are supposed to be jedi knights that get killed.

But ya, Lucas cut the scene (as short as it was) ... probably his best judgement in years.

African American
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Go read your response off-topic boy.

I don't remember telling you to get back on topic. Do you?

During the arena scene, after Obi, Anny, and Amidala avoid execution, when the Jedis drop in to save the day ...N-Sync members are supposed to be jedi knights that get killed.

But ya, Lucas cut the scene (as short as it was) ... probably his best judgement in years.

I think most of us would have rather enjoyed seeing N'Sync members get killed, but only if their death scenes were extremely brutal.

And if people called me Annie for years, I would have joined the dark side too.

CrystalTears
03-18-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by African AmericanI think most of us would have rather enjoyed seeing N'Sync members get killed, but only if their death scenes were extremely brutal.

And if people called me Annie for years, I would have joined the dark side too.

:lol2:

xtc
03-18-2005, 04:13 PM
I saw Lucas being interviewed recently. He said he now he wants to make small artistic movies. Can anyone imagine Lucas making small art films?

DeV
03-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Not really, no. He might do well with them though who knows.

Makkah
03-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey nerds. Watch the movie. Stop overanalyzing. And STFU

Vitruvian
03-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Obviously, Mr Lucas threw dialogue completely out the window in episode 1 as well as 2, the acting was pitiful, but you have to love it still. It answers questions youve been wondering for years, even if its not acted out well. Personally, Id like to see how it all ends (or started for that matter). Hopefully Anakin got some acting lessons in order to play Darth, if he fucks him up, Ill track him down in Hollywood and stick a toy saber up his arse!:soapbox:

peam
03-18-2005, 04:57 PM
Episode III is going to be fantastic.

Mark my words.

Pallon
03-18-2005, 06:04 PM
I'm willing to accept up to 25% of the film as weepy bullshit where Natalie Portman and Anakin try and fail to act, assuming the other 75% is the same brand of Jedi ass-kicking as the trailer.

Skeeter
03-19-2005, 12:09 AM
all he needs to save the series

African American
03-19-2005, 04:20 PM
No, THIS is what he needs to save the series:

Scott
03-19-2005, 04:32 PM
In terms of movies, of course it's going to be an "emotional." All but a few Jedi will be killed. Padame (or however it's spelled) is going to have kids and then probably get killed...... The first 2 movies were suppose to make you like the characters (most of them) and now they all die.

Mufassa dying was sad, but that doesn't mean the Lion King sucked.

Toxicvixen
03-19-2005, 04:35 PM
Dark Helmet: [mask down] Not so fast, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: Helmet. So, at last we meet for the first time for the last time. [thinks about what he said] Yeah.
Dark Helmet: Before you die, there is something you should know about us, Lone Starr.
Lone Starr: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former room-mate.
Lone Starr: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing.

I :heart: Dark Helmet!

Skeeter
03-19-2005, 11:45 PM
I bet she gives great helmet

longshot
03-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Scott
In terms of movies, of course it's going to be an "emotional." All but a few Jedi will be killed. Padame (or however it's spelled) is going to have kids and then probably get killed...... The first 2 movies were suppose to make you like the characters (most of them) and now they all die.

Mufassa dying was sad, but that doesn't mean the Lion King sucked.

Well put.

I know this has nothing to do with George Lucas's intelligence, but in terms of comedic value, there is nothing-- NOTHING better than Hayden Christansen's lip-quiverring anger scene when he tells Natalie Portman how he killed all the sand people.

I start laughing when I think about it...

Parkbandit
03-20-2005, 09:16 AM
I had heard that III was on the brink of getting a PG-13 rating due to all of the violence.

I'll still be going.

StrayRogue
03-20-2005, 09:20 AM
If its anything like the treatment that was written in the eighties, it will be very violent. Theres going to be mandolorians, Mace Windu getting pwned, an Emperor lightsaber duel, Anakin being knocked into lava, the mass slaughter or wookies etc.

Electrawn
03-20-2005, 03:41 PM
Don't forget the MARKETING!

http://www.marzd.com/images/HABSRO-02337.jpg

What better way to promote a movie than killing a bunch of spuds?

Ordered 3 cases BTW. :)

-Elec

Toxicvixen
03-20-2005, 04:30 PM
How can you not love the Darth TATER! :spaz:

Caiylania
03-21-2005, 08:30 AM
mmmmmmmmmmm darth tater. It's whats for dinner!