PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone = Warcraft 2

Scott
09-17-2003, 12:40 PM
I don't know how many of you ever played Warcraft II, but Gemstone IV is looking a lot like it. There were two races, orc and humans. The thing was, for the most part, they were the same. Orcs have the same characters, most of the same spells as humans. So except for a few minor differences, they were the same.

It's amazing that Gemstone is trying to make professions the same. Wizards had pets for the longest time, it was the distinguishing factor of them. Now rangers, sorcerer, and sort of cleric/empaths do. Maelstrom was a really unique spell, now it's counter balanced with sandstorm. Charge item/charge scroll. Quake/Tremors.

Why does everything have to have a counter part? Why not make professions unique. If you want to have pets, become a wizard, if you want to maelstorm or implode become a ranger, if you want to beat the shit out of something with a claid, become a warrior. It seems to me that they are too stupid to balance things without making spells lists the same.

Guess what Simu, just because one is called Maelstrom and one is called sandstorm doesn't change the fact that it's the same spell......

Drew2
09-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Gemstone101
If you want to have pets, become a wizard, if you want to maelstorm or implode become a ranger, if you want to beat the shit out of something with a claid, become a warrior.

Riiiiigghht......

[Edited on 9-17-2003 by Tayre]

Pallon
09-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Stop poking me!

Izalude
09-17-2003, 01:26 PM
God forbid you post something like this on the official boards... You'll get flamed forever by Carabele, Xulia, and Landrion/Katryn

Xcalibur
09-17-2003, 01:47 PM
That's because of their stupid idea to balance everyone.

If a rogue hunts better and faster because he hide and ambush, so be it, no need to mimic their abilities because rangers whine. No need to scrap ambush because it's uber.

Clonestone!

Dighn Darkbeam
09-17-2003, 02:26 PM
From a realism factor (ducks rotten fruit and vegetables) it does make sense for all classes to be relatively the same. People are pretty similar in their abilities for the most part. One person may learn to do something slightly better and with less effort, but that doesnt mean no one else can even attempt it.

I see professions as choosing in what area your character shows the most potential. Certain tasks will come easier to you than others, though everything can be learned to an extent. Open guild list and Artisan skills are examples of this phenomenon.

Kris na Su'ta

CrystalTears
09-17-2003, 02:40 PM
All professions should be able to attempt anything they like, I have no problem with that. However I feel that every profession should have something they excel at over the others. Warriors should be able to triple in weapons ergo be the best hitters, wizards and sorcerors the best spell casters, rogues the best pickers (and so on and so forth). I've never understood the "balance" issue. Professions are different, always have, that's why you choose the one you'll enjoy the most. And the thing about wanting to do everything on your own to not depend on anyone else makes you wonder why those people bother playing a multiplayer game in the first place.

Landrion
09-17-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Izalude
God forbid you post something like this on the official boards... You'll get flamed forever by Carabele, Xulia, and Landrion/Katryn

Oh I dunno. I kind of agree. I was a little dissapointed that sandstorm was so similar to maelstrom.

Summonables, its just utterly depressing to watch the bitching going back and forth about whos is better, who got what feature and so on.

Landrion/Katryn