PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 12:05 PM
So the brackets are out. Who you got?

Pulling hard for my Bearcats.

I'll set up a site for us to fill out brackets later. Damn people expecting me to work.

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 12:35 PM
This is the site for the brackets. I'm hoping a direct link will work. If not you may have to send me an e-mail address if you are interested.

Our group name is Players Corner (pcorner)
Password is Gemstone

http://pcorner.mayhem.sportsline.com/setup-opm/players

Alarke
03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
I pick my school... Miami of Ohio... OH WAIT we got shafted! I guess teams that have an RPI inside 30 dont deserve an at large bid over NORTHER IOWA. And I shall join this bracket, and Illinois shall win!

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I agree your school got the shaft. I think Miami is the only school that has a legitimate argument that they should have gotten in.

I was also a bit surprised that Xavier and Dayton both got shafted from the NIT

Parkbandit
03-14-2005, 02:31 PM
I hope Illinois doesn't get to the final four.. or I lose $25.00

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 02:34 PM
I'd say you should count that money lost PB.

Parkbandit
03-14-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Skeeter
I'd say you should count that money lost PB.

Yea.. they have a cakewalk to get there.

Fuckers.

Hulkein
03-14-2005, 03:33 PM
St. Joe's got shafted!

I went to the link, and it says I'm not a member, but doesn't offer any place to join the group.

Tsa`ah
03-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Can Illinois make it with the #1 seed curse hanging over their heads?

Parkbandit
03-14-2005, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

I hope not. They didn't impress me against a weak Wisconsin team.

Alfster
03-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Originally posted by Tsa`ah

Wisconsin's not as weak as you think they are!

<-------Badger fan

Keller
03-14-2005, 04:14 PM
I tried to sign up for the league but it said I was not invited. Invite me as Keller18 please.

Mistomeer
03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm still recovering from Darius Washington missing his fucking free throws.

hectomaner
03-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I agree your school got the shaft. I think Miami is the only school that has a legitimate argument that they should have gotten in.

I was also a bit surprised that Xavier and Dayton both got shafted from the NIT

fuck UD

Tsa`ah
03-14-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

They played like shit .. same as Wisconsin.

I still say IL takes it all so long as everyone stays legal and no one gets too big for their own ego.

Hulkein
03-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Invite the name Hulkein, please.

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Alright. I was hoping the link would work. It doesn't.

If you would like to be invited in, please u2u me your e-mail adress in it's entirety. IE Pickmeister@aol.com

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
I'm still recovering from Darius Washington missing his fucking free throws.

That was brutal. as a rule I root against Louisville any chance I get.

Alarke
03-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Yah... those free throws were just... painful. Illinois played one of the worst games of the year against Wisconsin... Dee Brown was ... what.. 0/8? Yet they won without much of a problem. If they play like that against NC... they'll have a problem, there is no team in their region that will give that problem. I think final four is pretty certain for them... and they're against another region where Washington took the #1 seed... a good team, but nowhere near Illinois, Kentucky, NC, Duke, etc... I would pick Florida or Louisville even over Washington.

longshot
03-14-2005, 08:43 PM
My friends from Michigan State went to Chicago to watch the big 10 tourney...

They called me wasted and very angry at 4:00 in the morning after getting beat by Iowa.

It was so much fun to torment them...

"I hear the aquarium is beautiful this time of year... you guys should check it out".

I have to fill out my bracket tonight, and it's harder than I anticipated.

I'm thinking Duke to win it all...

Azul
03-14-2005, 09:13 PM
I got 50 on Illinois. We better go all the way.

Skeeter
03-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Illinois made a lot of good teams look silly this year. they defitnately have the fire power to go all the way.

We have 4 entries in our bracket now. This is for extreme basketball bragging rights.

Skeeter
03-15-2005, 12:49 PM
we only have 4 people who have the onions to fill out a bracket? Did I mention it's free? U2U me your e-mail and I'll set you up.

Hulkein
03-15-2005, 01:40 PM
I don't like Duke this year, they're not as deep as they usually are.

Jorddyn
03-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Alarke
I guess teams that have an RPI inside 30 dont deserve an at large bid over NORTHER IOWA.

Bwahahahah!

Iowa is taking over the world!

Jorddyn, lovin' it (former ISU student, UNI graduate, lives in Iowa City :D )

DeV
03-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Jorddyn

Iowa is taking over the world! Not if Illinois has anything to do with it! :P

I'm actually just lovin' the fact that they've made it this far.

Skeeter
03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
You ladies talk, yet you don't fill out a bracket. :banghead:

Hulkein
03-15-2005, 09:55 PM
Mine is in there, I'm Kruk.

Jahira
03-15-2005, 10:08 PM
just so everyone knows I am calling it out right now. Old Diminoin is the upset game of the tourney

Alarke
03-16-2005, 02:00 AM
Call it out in the bracket...sign up people!

Czeska
03-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Someone just U2U me if E Kentucky wins anything. I pulled them out of a hat for a work contest.

~Czeska, hating basketball.

Hulkein
03-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Heh, tough draw.

I doubt Eastern Kentucky is going to beat Kentucky, but hey, you never know.

Azul
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
I'll fill out a bracket. Someone U2U me.

Hulkein
03-16-2005, 07:35 PM
More people need to sign up for this hog.

There are like four people, let's go nublettes send your e-mail to this guy so you can get the invite. It takes like 5 minutes.

Alarke
03-16-2005, 09:01 PM
No kidding... i need SOME competition in this thing!

Skeeter
03-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Somebodys in first....

Skeeter
03-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Go CATS!

Beat um... Cats!

Alarke
03-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Don't worry.. Iowa played a shit game. I'll be in first tomorrow.

Hulkein
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
Iowa is shit.

Alarke
03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
So it would seem after bending over for a not so good cinci team.

Darnell
03-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I would like to congradulate Pittsburg on completely raping me of the Albuquerque bracket and Cincy for thieving me of an almost perfect Austin bracket so far.

D
"I hate and love this tourney....."

Hulkein
03-18-2005, 02:47 AM
The Austin Bracket wasn't very hard. 4-0 Austin here.

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 10:05 AM
I'm obviously a NCAA super genious

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 05:48 PM
After the afternoon session. I of course am still in first. Everyone looks to still have a chance. Nobody has had a bracket disaster yet. Probably has something to do with the lack of upsets this year.

Alarke
03-18-2005, 05:57 PM
bah, you're in first but i can still have exactly the same top score as you! Stop talking yourself up in the first round! :P

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 09:37 PM
WTF people don't talk shit when they're behind. I'm taking advantage of the situation.

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Oh NOZ!!! WTF happend to Syracuse. Glad I didn't have them picked to the final 4

:lol:

Alarke
03-18-2005, 09:56 PM
HA, as much as that sucks for my bracket, im all for a big name team getting dropped in the first game!

Alarke, who prefers entertainment over being right.

Alarke
03-18-2005, 09:59 PM
And after watching Louisville tonight I wouldnt feel so safe having them as a final four team either! :(

Atlanteax
03-18-2005, 10:03 PM
What the heck is going on with all the really close games and upsets?

Even the 16s are giving the 1s a hard time.

Is the world ending?!? :weird:

longshot
03-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Atlanteax, did Michigan make it to the NIT?

Hulkein
03-18-2005, 10:15 PM
St. Joe's is taking the NIT over Maryland.

.... I actually filled out an NIT bracket because I was pissed St Joe's didn't get in the real tourny, lol.

Atlanteax
03-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by longshot

Unlikely, as I think they had a losing record this year...

However, Football season seems quite promising.

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Until they play the Bucks.

Skeeter
03-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Down goes Kansas!!!

Alarke
03-19-2005, 02:49 AM
This night was incredible!!

Skeeter
03-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Yeah almost all 8 games in the evening session were fantastic. Nights like last night are what make the tourney great.

longshot
03-19-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Atlanteax

Originally posted by longshot

Unlikely, as I think they had a losing record this year...

I know.

It never gets old hearing that though:lol:

peam
03-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Wake Who?

Skeeter
03-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Great games again tonight!!

Although the Bearcats broke my heart again :cry:

Soulpieced
03-19-2005, 11:40 PM
I've only gotten 1 game wrong in the Chicago bracket... my other ones on the other hand, not so hot. Still have 7 of my Elite 8 in tact.

Hulkein
03-20-2005, 01:31 AM
W ho predicted Texas Tech over Gonzaga and Utah over Oklahoma?

This guy.

Unfortunately Wake and Syracuse were in my Final Four... but I had both of them losing there so I may at least win this online thing.

Skeeter
03-20-2005, 10:39 AM
It was definately a bad day for the brackets. I pondered that Gonzaga pick, because they ALWAYS go out early. I don't get why they're so overrated each year.

Soulpieced
03-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Whatever, who had Wisconsin-Milwaukee over BC?

<---- This guy

longshot
03-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I had Wake winning it all...

I was at my friends house, and everyone there is in the same pool as me.

My buddy snuck into his room and downloaded John Denver's "Country Roads", and proceeded to humiliate me by having a room full of drunk people sing the chorus.

"Take me home
To the place
I belong
WEST VIRGINIA...!"

(lots of pointing and laughing at me)

Great night for my bracket:sniffle:

GSTamral
03-20-2005, 11:28 PM
I'm not doing too bad.

I have 13 of these 16 teams here

My only problem is Wake was in my Final Four.

I had UW-Milwaukee too. And NCSU.

From here, my bracket has
Louisville over Washington
Illinois over Wisc. Milwaukee
Wake over Texas Tech
Arizona over OkSt.
Duke over Syracuse
Wisconsin over NCSU
Utah over Kentucky
UNC over Florida

Then
UNC over Wisconsin
Duke over Utah
Wake over Louisville
Zona over Illinois

Duke over UNC
Zona over Wake

Duke over Zona

Yes, I am well aware that I should have Utah over Duke, UNC over Utah and UNC winning it all, but being a Duke Alum, I'm not allowed to do that, even when doing so would help me win money.

Alarke
03-21-2005, 01:31 AM
Your main fault is thinking that Arizona can actually beat Illinois. I'm more scared of OSU than I am of Zona as an Illini fan.

GSTamral
03-21-2005, 12:14 PM
As an Illini fan, you should be afraid of the following teams:

Arizona
Louisville
UNC
Villanova
Washington

All of those teams have the same features. They love to run the ball, and run it all day, and they all have good shooters and good point guard play (In Villanova's case, 5 equally adept point guards none of whom are great, but all of whom can handle the ball). Illinois would have no problems with OSU, because simply said, OSU likes the slower, more patient pace of play that fits perfectly into Illinois's spread balance offense and smothering defense. You can smother a turtle, even a giant one, because it doesn't move all that fast and it is trying to pick its spots. Try smothering a greyhound. Or a cat. There is no singular point in any of those teams that can be shut down that holds back the rest of the team. Illinois is a very good team, but they are by no means an all time great team….. Yet. They can be worn down if they are forced to run all game. They can't play pressure defense for more than a half if the offense is perpetually in motion.

A perfect example of how disruptive fast, shooter based teams can be, just watch a Duke game. You leave Redick open for even a second, and he'll make you pay with a 3 pointer more than 40% of the time. That's 1.2 points per shot. That percentage goes up a little if he is left open. So when Ewing drives, you simply cannot afford to bring another person down to help against the dribble. That type of play and movement can take Illinois out of its team defense. Arizona brings much of the same with Salim Stoudamire. That means, Illinois is going to expend more energy defensively, and the likelihood of fouling on the drive goes up. Or they can give a very accurate shooter open looks. At the same time, Illinois can pound the ball inside against these teams and score in the paint. They can win the rebounding battle, and get more second chances. But that's still out of the element for a team that would rather win a 70-55 barnburner over a 90-80 shootout.

This Illinois team came into the tournament with only one loss. But it doesn't have the aura that other such teams had coming in with such impressive records. They aren't even the favorite the take the prize (although in my mind they should be, given their record).

Skeeter
03-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Im in freaking basketball withrawl today. I'll have to tune into the NIT to get a fix

Parkbandit
03-21-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm out.

CT, WF & GT can all fucking burn in hell.

Alarke
03-21-2005, 02:22 PM
Illini can run the ball at a fast pace better than any team out there. Whether they're playing a fast pace or slow pace team, there is no team that works off the ball like Illinois. They are NOT the most talented team in the tournament, but no one conditions harder or plays harder than the guys on that team.

They pass the ball better than anyone else in this tournament, and their unselfish play got them to 29-1 on the regular season. Leave Reddick open and you have 1.2 points per shot... try having Brown, Head and Williams running hard off the ball, each of which can shoot with the best of them, while having guys like powell and augestine in the mix. Hell augestine just had a 23 point game and he isnt even the focus of this team.

I'd love to see any team outrun Illinois. Im not saying they cant be beat, but there is no team in college basketball that can wear them out faster than they wear the other team out. Just watch a few of their games, you'll see what I mean. It's all about the extra pass.

GSTamral
03-21-2005, 05:05 PM
<<<
Illini can run the ball at a fast pace better than any team out there. Whether they're playing a fast pace or slow pace team, there is no team that works off the ball like Illinois. They are NOT the most talented team in the tournament, but no one conditions harder or plays harder than the guys on that team.

They pass the ball better than anyone else in this tournament, and their unselfish play got them to 29-1 on the regular season. Leave Reddick open and you have 1.2 points per shot... try having Brown, Head and Williams running hard off the ball, each of which can shoot with the best of them, while having guys like powell and augestine in the mix. Hell augestine just had a 23 point game and he isnt even the focus of this team.

I'd love to see any team outrun Illinois. Im not saying they cant be beat, but there is no team in college basketball that can wear them out faster than they wear the other team out. Just watch a few of their games, you'll see what I mean. It's all about the extra pass.
>>

No, they can't. They are a very good team running the ball, better than average, but they aren't one of the best. Secondly, none of the other teams that play up tempo play a smothering 1-2-2 or man the way Illinois does. Playing that style of defense is very tiring, especially when the other team moves well without the ball. Illinois is not a great shooting team. They get open looks because they run a patient offense. They don't have a lights out shooter who can reliably hit from the perimeter with a hand in their face. In fact, very few teams do have such a person. Illinois has two solid inside bodies. That often offsets the fact that neither one of them is great. They don't match up well, but they make up for it with hustle, which is all well and good against teams in a slower paced game. They play a very Princetonesque offense, and work to find the open shot. No one can stop them from doing that. But tiring people don't shoot the ball as well.

How can you honestly say that they play fast tempo ball better than everyone else when they've only played 2 or 3 games all season at that pace? Other teams have been doing it all year, night after night, and they win games too. Illinois benefited this year from not having to play an amazingly difficult schedule. Not that 29-1 is anything to sneeze at, but they finished the year only 6-0 against RPI top 50, whereas some other teams finished 8-2, 9-2 or similar. I watched a battered up Illini team in the second round. Guts. Check. Talent. Check, they certainly have enough, although it isnt the best. Intensity. Check. But it won't be enough to keep up with the smaller, faster shooting teams night after night after night.

Hulkein
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Im in freaking basketball withrawl today. I'll have to tune into the NIT to get a fix

St. Joe's vs. Holy Cross, tonite on ESPN2.

Alarke
03-21-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by GSTamral
<<<

>>

No, they can't. They are a very good team running the ball, better than average, but they aren't one of the best. Secondly, none of the other teams that play up tempo play a smothering 1-2-2 or man the way Illinois does. Playing that style of defense is very tiring, especially when the other team moves well without the ball. Illinois is not a great shooting team. They get open looks because they run a patient offense. They don't have a lights out shooter who can reliably hit from the perimeter with a hand in their face. In fact, very few teams do have such a person. Illinois has two solid inside bodies. That often offsets the fact that neither one of them is great. They don't match up well, but they make up for it with hustle, which is all well and good against teams in a slower paced game. They play a very Princetonesque offense, and work to find the open shot. No one can stop them from doing that. But tiring people don't shoot the ball as well.

How can you honestly say that they play fast tempo ball better than everyone else when they've only played 2 or 3 games all season at that pace? Other teams have been doing it all year, night after night, and they win games too. Illinois benefited this year from not having to play an amazingly difficult schedule. Not that 29-1 is anything to sneeze at, but they finished the year only 6-0 against RPI top 50, whereas some other teams finished 8-2, 9-2 or similar. I watched a battered up Illini team in the second round. Guts. Check. Talent. Check, they certainly have enough, although it isnt the best. Intensity. Check. But it won't be enough to keep up with the smaller, faster shooting teams night after night after night.
I guess it's simply a difference of opinion, and there's really no point in carrying on whether or not something will or will not happen, when we can wait a week and watch for ourselves! So i'll be back in a couple weeks and laugh or cry.. you'll know which before i post.

Skeeter
03-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein

St. Joe's vs. Holy Cross, tonite on ESPN2.

sadly I'll be watching. I'll probably pull for Holy Cross

RUDY RUDY!!!

Alfster
03-21-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Alarke

I think that UW-Milwaukee could outrun them, although I don't think they have a prayer of beating them.

GSTamral
03-25-2005, 12:50 AM
3 down, 4 to go. I figured Tech would beat WVU, but WVU winning helps me out a little. Arizona, Louisville, Illinois, and if west fucking virginia didn't beat Wake, I could still have my entire Elite 8 and Final 4. Now I just gotta hope WVU wins, because absolutely no one in their right mind would have them there.

Hulkein
04-04-2005, 11:30 PM
NC wins it, I get a share of first place in the Players Corner bracket. :)

Who is it tied with me? I don't know your name.

Alarke
04-05-2005, 01:24 AM
Damn, 10 points off first?? Why couldnt ONE more of my damn teams win? And still crying of U of I.

ThisOtherKingdom
04-05-2005, 03:50 AM
I-L-L

FinisWolf
04-05-2005, 04:38 AM
All I have to say is; "What the fuck is the NCAA, and that basketball sucks!"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

And, of course, I was just j/k... sorta. lol

Finiswolf

Tsa`ah
04-05-2005, 06:40 AM
Despite Illinois losing last night, the game was excellent.

Illinois came back in the second half and made NC win it as opposed to the first half where they let NC control the game. I found it difficult to concentrate on anything else.

The whole tourney was excellent. Close games and come backs make you cheer for teams you don't give a shit about. Something the NBA has lacked for some time now.

Warriorbird
04-05-2005, 07:23 AM
The people last night were CRAZY.

Hulkein
04-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ThisOtherKingdom
I-L-L

N-O

Great game though, I had a feeling Illinois would make a run when NC was up big... they didn't disappoint.

I probably liked the players on Illinois better, but I chose UNC and I wanted Roy Williams to win one.

[Edited on 4-5-2005 by Hulkein]

DeV
04-05-2005, 11:57 AM
U of I has earned renewed respect and represented in this tournament despite the loss. Great attempt at coming back but NC took the game. I wasn't disappointed in their performance at all.

NO ->:cheers:<- UofI

Skeeter
04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
NC wins it, I get a share of first place in the Players Corner bracket. :)

Who is it tied with me? I don't know your name.

That would be me. I can't believe you pulled out a tie in the end. We even picked the same points in the tiebreaker, but I did have more wins than you thus proving I am 1337 picking ninja. :lol:

I thought Illinois was out coached. should've doubled down on may better, and flopped when he dropped the shoulder. 2 or 3 charge calls would have shut that down.

Parkbandit
04-05-2005, 01:04 PM
I wanted Illinois to win, but was very happy that Roy Williams got the bullshit media off his ass with the win.