PDA

View Full Version : Online gaming terminology

Back
05-25-2005, 07:09 AM
Lets rehash help define old and new online gaming terms. Talk about your favorites, your hates, the obscure or the well known. Go ahead and ask what something means even if people call you a n00b and laugh.

Try to reply and put the term in question in the Subject line of your post.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Backlash]

Back
05-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Slamming: When you hit the Command key (Hot-Key for you PC users) to Quit out of a game, dumping you instantly usually to avoid a death.

Twinking: Using an older character to collect high-end equipment for YOUR OWN younger character.

Wezas
05-25-2005, 09:29 AM
Pulling a Falgrin: While in a group - get a little too close to the mob of nasties that your group is planning out strategy on. Draw aggro, and bring all of said nasties back towards your group. (also see "Pulling a Tayre")

Omens
05-25-2005, 09:30 AM
LEEEEERRROOOOOYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
Pulling a Falgrin: While in a group - get a little too close to the mob of nasties that your group is planning out strategy on. Draw aggro, and bring all of said nasties back towards your group. (also see "Pulling a Tayre")

So Falgrin <= Leeeroooooyyy Jennkkkkinnsnsns?

Your sever you may call that "Pulling a Falgrin" or "Pulling a Tayre" but on our server we just call that "FUKIN NOOBS"

Nieninque
05-25-2005, 10:04 AM
Pulling a Dar - type "A-A-A-A-ALLIANCE!!!!" into the game when you see characters of the opposing faction, just before logging out of the game only to log back in a few minutes later claiming that your laptop overheated.

Pulling an Alorg - Demand an instance group get together then spend ages finishing off a bunch of other stuff or ganking in another town.

Pulling a Bayne - leading a bunch of people in the complete wrong direction.

AnticorRifling
05-25-2005, 10:05 AM
You can't use Draw aggro in your definition as draw aggro needs defined also. Seriously some of the terms used are enough to stop me from tossing this vid card in my computer and buying WoW.

05-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Get used to it. This shit is used constantly in game.

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Don't forget the most annoying term to me. Ganking.. ganked.. I spit on the kiddie that came up with that term.

05-25-2005, 10:12 AM
That term isn't as bad as something like "lowbie" or "n00blet" those are terrible sounding.

Now, what really gets to me? Fucking people bitching about dying by another player in a PvP server.

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
That term isn't as bad as something like "lowbie" or "n00blet" those are terrible sounding.

Now, what really gets to me? Fucking people bitching about dying by another player in a PvP server.

- Arkans

Yeah that has always just been plain stupid. I've seen people really flip out over it especially when you get three or four horde camping their body in triangulation. Whenever that ever happened to me I usually deserved it for hardcore camping of noobs.. but when it DOES happen to me I usually go take the dog for a piss and have a cig while ghosted. By the time I'm back the horde kiddies with short attention spans usually have gotten bored of waiting and disperse and if they are still there in the bushes after 15 minutes I feel good for having wasted their 15 minutes. win win for me.

Kitsun
05-25-2005, 10:16 AM
Agro - As in keeping agro, pulling agro or walking into agro range. It usually means the aggressive target of a MOB or the level of hate a player generates. Kids should use this one when, "My mommy agro'd when I cut class!"

Leeching - When a party gets together to gain experience, there always seems to be one deadbeat member that goes AFK only to 'leech' experience from the hard work of the other members. This is something I wish didn't come up so often, but when you're grinding out, you always seem to run into these fackers.

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Kitsun
Agro - As in keeping agro, pulling agro or walking into agro range. It usually means the aggressive target of a MOB or the level of hate a player generates. Kids should use this one when, "My mommy agro'd when I cut class!"

Leeching - When a party gets together to gain experience, there always seems to be one deadbeat member that goes AFK only to 'leech' experience from the hard work of the other members. This is something I wish didn't come up so often, but when you're grinding out, you always seem to run into these fackers.

Honestly to me AGRO is the one of the most if not most important term to learn and master in a game such as WoW.

Wezas
05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
You can't use Draw aggro in your definition as draw aggro needs defined also. Seriously some of the terms used are enough to stop me from tossing this vid card in my computer and buying WoW.

Originally posted by Wezas Responding to Anticor's initial sandy vagina problem

sap - a rogue skill where the rogue is hidden and "saps" the victim to leave them stunned for 20+ seconds or until someone hits them.

vanish - a rogue skill that allows the rogue to "vanish" into his hidden state even when in combat. 5 minute cooldown.

aggro - aggrovation? Basically when you agro something - you are engaged with them in battle and cannot do many things (including going stealth). Losing agro means they are no longer engaged with you.

I ended up using a fucking sheep and it blows - I assume it's something republicans do. Not sure to be honest.

concussion shots - a ranged attack that Dazes the target, slowing movement speed to 50% of normal for 4 sec.

the mark - The Hunters Mark, a skill that increases the Ranged Attack Power of all attackers against that target by 20

stealth track - A hunter skill that Increases stealth detection and shows hidden units within detection range on the minimap.

companion - The Hunter's pet, or familiar.

ganking - Killing [/quote]

Wezas
05-25-2005, 10:22 AM
This is something I wish didn't come up so often, but when you're grinding out, you always seem to run into these fackers.

OMG You can't use that term, it hasn't been defined!!!111oneone

AnticorRifling
05-25-2005, 10:31 AM
No shit WTF is grinding out, what's MOB, etc?

If these are terms that are used openly in game I won't be playing.

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
No shit WTF is grinding out, what's MOB, etc?

If these are terms that are used openly in game I won't be playing.

Grinding out = mindless xp gain to level over long period of time
MOB = Mobile , monsters. critters.. etc.

Also Anticor.. if you go into wow expecting some grand RP experience I don't think you'll find it. The enviroment is not condusive to it. Rather I think you should look at it as tactical squad warfare vs mobs/horde/alliance/instances. Get on teamspeak and get it done. Good teamwork is very rewarding in this game. In fact it was the only real reason I played. Nothing like getting your normal group together on teamspeak and commencing a flawless run of some instance or pwning of the bad guys.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Xyelin]

Nieninque
05-25-2005, 10:34 AM
Mob = NPCs that you are fighting.
Grinding = hunting for experience (as you do in GS) instead of questing for experience.

Wezas
05-25-2005, 10:37 AM
I figured if you played GS4 or any other MUD you'd know what "mob" was.

Sorry for overestimating :bouncing:

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Pulling/puller = One person in group usually of higher level and with ranged capabilities to "pull" or bring whichever mobs deemed capable or wanted to teh group for pwnage without setting off agro hell.

Pop= The regen of mobs in an instance/dungeon. "lets get moving as this place is going to pop again. Repopulate.

Overlord
05-25-2005, 10:40 AM
You've never heard these terms in other muds?
Has anyone ever heard of Medievia?? The whole caverns running, multi classing characters. Essentially once you are "Capped" (i shouldn't have to explain this one) you have all the skills available to all professions (Thief, Warrior, Wizard and Cleric). You can also have kids on your bloodline, awesome in depth game with nutty weather and storms that can kill you, enhance magic, or are composed of wasps!

AnticorRifling
05-25-2005, 11:22 AM
I've heard the term mob but never understood what the fuck it was. I kind of gathered it was a creature but why is it a mob?

Pop makes sense ala rePOPulating
Gen makes sense ala reGENerating

Where the fuck does mob fit in?

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 11:23 AM

Holy fucking shit...On the Dunemaul Server...that's known as pulling a Bayne.

Also, Rule # 1: NEVER FOLLOW BAYNE!!!

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 11:27 AM
It took me like 4 years to figure out that "w00t!" was actually an acronym for "We own the other team!"

No one could ever define it for me, they always just generally described it as a 'happy' or 'ecstatic' emote type thing.

Nieninque
05-25-2005, 11:29 AM
I didnt know that

Sean of the Thread
I've heard the term mob but never understood what the fuck it was. I kind of gathered it was a creature but why is it a mob?

Mob as in Mobiles.. goes way back in gaming history.

MOB (abbr.) (acro.) (n.) MMORPG term short for “monster” or “hostiles.” It originates from the old MUD term “mobile” or “Mobile Objects” - which refered to any computer controlled creatures in the game.

AnticorRifling
See you should have asked me I know both meanings of w00t hence the reason I use it.

It's an exclamation of joy or good feeling as well as an acronym. Being military I'm all about the acronyms.

AnticorRifling
05-25-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin

MOB (abbr.) (acro.) (n.) MMORPG term short for “monster” or “hostiles.” It originates from the old MUD term “mobile” or “Mobile Objects” - which refered to any computer controlled creatures in the game.

While that kind of makes sense it's still stupid as every player controled char is mobile as well, so are arrows from a bow do those become new mobs? Yeah I don't think I'll ever use MOB in my online vocab simply because it doesn't fit.

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
I didnt know that

My roommate, who could quite possible be the biggest computer geek/video game geek ever said w00t! didn't mean anything, it was just a "happy exclamation or sorts". (Not that there's anything wrong with being a computer geek...but I've been playing games since I was like 4 on the Atari 2600 and Tandy 1000...but he amazes even me).

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Xyelin

While that kind of makes sense it's still stupid as every player controled char is mobile as well, so are arrows from a bow do those become new mobs? Yeah I don't think I'll ever use MOB in my online vocab simply because it doesn't fit.

I used to think the same when I started playing EQ way back but then it grew.. much easier to use the same terms as the rest.

For instance it would be used as such. "I see four mobs around the corner up here, keep to the right to avoid aggro." Can always substitute what they are.. four cats or whatever floats your boat.

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 11:39 AM
I personally think that the acronym definition for w00t is revisionist.

I don't think it actually meant that when it was first used, but someone just said 'that fits!, that's where it originated!'

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler
My roommate, who could quite possible be the biggest computer geek/video game geek ever said w00t! didn't mean anything, it was just a "happy exclamation or sorts". (Not that there's anything wrong with being a computer geek...but I've been playing games since I was like 4 on the Atari 2600 and Tandy 1000...but he amazes even me).

Hah, my friends are so retarded when it comes to computers/online shit they were calling me a geek when I knew the answer to the question 'What does I-M-H-O stand for in cyber chat' in a game of trivial pursuit 90s edition.

Nieninque
05-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I have a number of words that I just hate (shammy etc) and do my utmost not to use.

I hang my head in shame, however, at the fact that I called out about a Pally the other day :(

Kitsun
05-25-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by SnatchWrangler
It took me like 4 years to figure out that "w00t!" was actually an acronym for "We own the other team!"

No one could ever define it for me, they always just generally described it as a 'happy' or 'ecstatic' emote type thing.

I believe woot is one of those terms that popped up out of nowhere and people can only speculate on its true origins.

I personally liked the idea that it was truncated from "Wow loot!"

I can't believe I used the terms mob and grinding so casually that I forgot they're gaming terms.

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Call them a pally all you like. They typically don't like it and trust me the alliance don't like paladins either for the most part. They tend to have an "superman complex" and tend to fuck up everything all the time. If you need an example LEEEEROY is perfect. They do that shit all the time.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 12:07 PM

Don't get so hung up on the new words. WoW doesn't use terms like AS/DS/TD/CS/crit padding/spells/empath/Warclaidhm/Fucking Simu/...

It takes a little getting used to.. but it is SO worth it.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 12:11 PM

First off.. you don't know what pulling a Falgrin is.. since I haven't played Falgrin in like forever. You are confusing "Pulling a Bayne" with that.. and it doesn't mean the same as Pulling a Tayre.

Pulling a Bayne is either leading a group in the wrong direction.. which I will agree with to a point.. OR jumping off a ledge and believing that it will not cause death... which it will. I've only done that on 3 occasions. Once in 1000 Needles.. thinking I could jump off the bluff and use the wall of the cliff to slow me down. Once to jump down from Tanaris to the Crater and believe I could live. Once in BRD when I thought I knew a short cut. IN my own defense, the short cut does exist and I now use it when I am there.

You would KNOW this if you ever played Bluto. Stuck up RPer jerk.

Wezas
05-25-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
First off.. you don't know what pulling a Falgrin is.. since I haven't played Falgrin in like forever. You are confusing "Pulling a Bayne" with that.. and it doesn't mean the same as Pulling a Tayre.

Wezas hunted a few times with Falgrin if you don't remember correctly. I know it was you because I distintly remember the "I smell treasure!" and then you running up to the chest aggroing everything there.

You would KNOW this if you ever played Bluto. Stuck up RPer jerk.

Dreds. Bluto hasn't been played yet this year, I don't believe.

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 12:21 PM
I always jump off hills, it's fun.

You can live jumping off a lot of things in Thousand Needles as long as you jump onto one of those little pod/plateu boulders.

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
I always jump off hills, it's fun.

You can live jumping off a lot of things in Thousand Needles as long as you jump onto one of those little pod/plateu boulders.

Hehe I can't find my screenshots of Drunkard Airlines... I don't think 1 horde ever survived the MC jump off near the elevators hehehehee. (for Anticor MC = Mind Control)

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 12:23 PM
[quote]Originally posted by Parkbandit

Wezas hunted a few times with Falgrin if you don't remember correctly. I know it was you because I distintly remember the "I smell treasure!" and then you running up to the chest aggroing everything there.

Ok. U R RIGHT. That was so me back then. As a dwarven rogue.. I could see treasure chests on my mini-map.

:blush:

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 12:25 PM

Pulling a Bayne is either leading a group in the wrong direction.. which I will agree with to a point.. OR jumping off a ledge and believing that it will not cause death... which it will. I've only done that on 3 occasions.

You're leaving other things out...

You've also jumped/fell off of ledges into groups of nearby mobs which aggro'd.

Also, Bayne's HUGE UNMISTAKABLE ASS has a tendency to think the world revolves around him, and just sit down in plain view and eat/drink/heal/go afk/etc.

We'll be PvPing, the Alliance will be dead, and he'll just sit down in the middle of the road and drink. I'm screaming at him, then 4 Alliance ride up and slaughter him.

Or, if the road is not obvious enough, he walk to the nearest rock or tree stump and sit on it in plain view. Or my personal favorite, walk into the center of Alliance owned camps (or neutral camps) and go AFK in the fucking transparent tents, where you can see the enormous "BAYNE <THE BARREN FURY>" label sticking out of the tent along with his head.

The Alliance then just walks up to the side of the tent and impales him while he's AFK inside. God forbid you move out of the area, or hide behind some hills or something.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
Alorg makes me cry.

:sniffle:

Overlord
05-25-2005, 12:29 PM
lmfao @ "Baynes Suicidal Adventures"

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Alorg makes me cry.

:sniffle:

Notice he didn't deny a word of it.

It's funny cuz it's true. :lol:

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 12:35 PM
HAHAHAHAH I told you "pulling a bayne/etc" on your sever is called "FUCKING NOOB" on the rest.

Kitsun
05-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Nuke - Usually refers to a mage class dealing direct damage to a foe.

Power/Mana Dump - Something has gone wrong and you need this thing dead NOW. Everyone in the group is to pump every spell and thus dump their mana into it as quickly as possible to take it out of the fight.

Roamer - The opposite of a mob that stands still, it is one that roams around. Usually call out roamer to let everyone know to be careful to avoid its attention.

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 01:05 PM

Roamer - The opposite of a mob that stands still, it is one that roams around. Usually call out roamer to let everyone know to be careful to avoid its attention.

Also known as "Patrols" and if not handled correctly usually end in a whipe or near whipe..which brings us to whipe.

Whipe =When the whole party gets killed and the instance needs to be started over. Usually because someone "Pulled a Bayne".

05-25-2005, 01:12 PM
Buff - a spell or ability that increases a certain aspect of your character.

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Buff - a spell or ability that increases a certain aspect of your character.

- Arkans

De-Buff = duh.. spells or abilities that remove other spells and ablities from other chars or yourself.

Back
05-25-2005, 01:45 PM
Kite: Making a target immobile, then steping outside its attack range while throwing ranged attacks at it

DOT: Damage Over Time. Usually in reference to spells that have a number of damage/sec effect

05-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Toon = your character

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Backlash
Kite: Making a target immobile, then steping outside its attack range while throwing ranged attacks at it

DOT: Damage Over Time. Usually in reference to spells that have a number of damage/sec effect

While your definition is fine kiting is actually just like it sounds... casting DOT's on a mob and then "stringing" them along until death. Made popular in EQ where you would have spirit of the wolf on you so you could out run anything and load up the DOT's and run around and kill mobs with minimal threat.

Glavenfyre
06-01-2005, 04:32 AM
farm/farming - Repeatedly clearing an area of mobs to gain cash/equipment.

For instance, today I was farming lightning drakes at the gates of kryta and found a gold max damage axe with good mods.

I may be wrong, but...

When text games first came about computer controlled creatures just sat in one room and waited for something to happen. As they advanced the creatures became more advanced and began moving about, this is when they got the name MOB or mobile.

Also computer nerds can't stand weak acronyms/abbreviations so they always have some sort of catchy thing (Many Linux acronymns are redundant etcetera). So the fact that MOBile OBject is more than just a standard acronymn may have played a role in the creation of the term.

[Edited on 6-1-2005 by Glavenfyre]