PDA

View Full Version : Need inspiration for Armor alter.

Stunseed
03-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Alright, with the wavedancer fast approaching, I am having writer's block when it comes to my armor and how I truly want it to look like. I am trying to simplify Stun's look, so it'll be a show based alter, I think.

Here's what it is now.

some padded chain armor.
SHOW : The links of the chain armor show a great deal of wear and are covered with a sticky greenish substance. Lorminstra's sigil is barely noticeable on the left breast directly above a distinct puncture mark. You also notice a small enchanter's glyph.

Now, I like the short and sweet base description, but it needs a new twist. I was thinking "some padded chain armature", or something to that extent. The show is horrible and I need serious work on it. I am in the belief I don't want to distingush a color for it, so that in anything he wears it won't clash. Something to describe how well-kept and its sturdiness, and the family crest on the right shoulder/pauldron area. The family crest is....

You see your crest. Made of the purest veniom, the intricately detailed crest displays the image of a majestic modwir tree, its branches spread wide in a protective manner, silhouetted against a fiery ruby cresent moon.

So, any positive feedback or ideas is truly appreciated. Thanks.

Nakiro
03-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Armature. You're so ripping off my previous set of armor.

Anyway...

Don't use padded in the general description. Padding generally isn't visible if its effective (at least not on armor). If you want to draw attention to its well kept apperance, do so in the base. Mention of a base metal would also be smart for multiple reasons, but may not be possible as it is now.

Also...

"Purest" or any other "est" word generally is dumb.

How about...

While showing signs of daily wear and tear, this set of armor appears to remain well fortified and kept in good provision. Although its design remains basic, it exhibits some padding modification, allowing an occupient greater flexibility and protection. Affixed upon the right shoulder an intricately designed veniom crest displaying the image of a majestic modwir tree, its branches spread wide in a protective manner, silhouetted against a fiery ruby cresent moon.

some/a suit of/a set of (fill-in-the-blank) chain armor/armature

Adjetives to consider

brazened
polished
endowed
practiced
hearty
strapping
sturdy
fitted
lusterous
burnished
well-kept
plain
ordinary
heavy (better way of saying padding)
(blank)
tightly-linked
double-linked
tripple-linked
padded (if you must)

Personal favorites:

a set of heavy chain armor
a set of tripple-linked chain armature
some sturdy chain armor
a set of brazened chain armor
some ordinary chain armor

rupa
03-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Here's a quick mock-up, hope you can take something useful away from it.

a suit of hammered dark ringmail
SHOW : The sturdy yet flexible armor is made up of thousands of small hammered veniom rings linked in an intricate overlapping scale-like pattern. Although exquisitely crafted and well-maintained, the armor shows a great deal of age and wear. A thick greenish patina covers many of the rings, and a hint of leather padding peeks through where links have been lost to battle. A highly polished brass key over the left breast and a bold crest on the right shoulder are the only adornments. You also see a small enchanter's glyph.