PDA

View Full Version : digital camera advice

theotherjohn
03-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I am thinking about getting a Canon EOS Digital Rebel that has 6.3 mp

How long before you think 6 mp will be outdated?

Suppa Hobbit Mage
03-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Doesn't Nikon or Minolta already make an 8 mega pixel camera? Price isn't much more than the Canon either, I want to say 1300 or 1600 dollars.

PS - have you played with the action pictures? Like 2 pictures a second or something like that. Pretty neat.

theotherjohn
03-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
Doesn't Nikon or Minolta already make an 8 mega pixel camera? Price isn't much more than the Canon either, I want to say 1300 or 1600 dollars.

PS - have you played with the action pictures? Like 2 pictures a second or something like that. Pretty neat.

no clue about 8 mp cameras.

I havent really done more than take pictures of my son to send to his grandmothers etc.

Back
03-09-2005, 10:24 AM
I’m very happy with my 5mp Canon Elph.

Don’t worry. Anything you buy today will be better and cheaper in two years or so.

Warriorbird
03-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Yeah, pretty much. If the picture quality is satisfying, that's the most important bit. Is it something you are willing to look at pictures in an album with?

Wezas
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I have a 3mp camera that I've had for 3 years. It does the job just fine.

I wouldn't really think about going any higher unless I'm planning on taking pictures that I want at a rediculously large resolution (I'm not looking to print out any posters anytime soon)

theotherjohn
03-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
Yeah, pretty much. If the picture quality is satisfying, that's the most important bit. Is it something you are willing to look at pictures in an album with?

yeah the 6.3 rebel makes pictures that looks good enough to me.

we used one to make a march easter calendar for the grandmothers as a easter gift

Parkbandit
03-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Depends on what you need the camera for. Are you a professional photographer who needs fine detail in all of his pictures? You might want to invest in the new 8's. Are you just wanting to take clear pictures of family and friends? Anything 5 and above is perfect.

Stealth
03-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Honestly unless you want to shoot "professional" photos anything over 3MP is overkill. I have a 6MP now and I shoot at less than 3 for 99% of all my shots. Go for something that has the other goods...good features, good picture quality, ease of use.

I personally am looking into getting one of those JVC Everio Digital Camcorders...no tapes...runs off a 4GB Microdrive. Different ball of wax from a Rebel though. I would like to have a nice digital SLR as well.

Stealth

Wezas
03-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Stealth
Honestly unless you want to shoot "professional" photos anything over 3MP is overkill. IStealth

:stupid:

Parkbandit
03-09-2005, 10:45 AM
I used a 3 mp camera for a while, but found that some of my pictures came out a little grainy. I've yet to have that same problem with my 5.0 Olympus.

theotherjohn
03-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Wezas

Originally posted by Stealth
Honestly unless you want to shoot "professional" photos anything over 3MP is overkill. IStealth

:stupid:

my concern is life of the camera if I buy under 6 mp

Jadewolff
03-09-2005, 10:55 AM
Big supporter of canon for digital cameras. I've never heard anything bad about them and they tend to have the highest rating for quality.

Wezas
03-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jadewolff
Big supporter of canon for digital cameras. I've never heard anything bad about them and they tend to have the highest rating for quality.

Canon's what I have, Powershot Digital Elph

Ryku
03-09-2005, 12:39 PM
The megapixel size of a digital camera mainly determines how big of a picture you can take. It's not like your going to automatically get far better picture quality out of a 6mp camera compared to a 4 or 5. I hear the digital rebel is pretty good for what it is but if I were to go full on and get a digital SLR i'd rather save my money and get a kick ass canon 20d or even better if i could afford it. Right now though I'm lookin to get just an SLR-like digital camera until I get really serious. Check out the panasonic fz20 or the new fz4 and fz5 at this website that does digital camera reviews and see if they might offer what your lookin for before ya buy. http://www.dpreview.com/