PDA

View Full Version : Conversion

Enceladus
03-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Was announced today that warriors and clerics will be able to convert on March 18th.

A forum concerning the conversion is going to be on March 16th.

hectomaner
03-01-2005, 05:08 PM
i cant believe how long they are going to make us wait for all the conversion info, not that i'm so anxious, just that it would be nice to know more than 2 days in advance how it works

Hulkein
03-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm not quite sure they know how it works yet.

Soulpieced
03-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I still think it's ridiculous that we could theoretically see current level 100 warriors or clerics suddenly be level 100 paladins.

Syberus
03-01-2005, 05:39 PM
What chaps my ass is that they aren't going to allow Sorcerers to convert to Savants eventually (not.. that I would really want to) I think there should be an option though. It seems kinda bullshit to allow for this and then turn around and say the other isn't going to be offered.

AnticorRifling
03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Syberus
What chaps my ass is that they aren't going to allow Sorcerers to convert to Savants eventually (not.. that I would really want to) I think there should be an option though. It seems kinda bullshit to allow for this and then turn around and say the other isn't going to be offered.

If you go savant I get your LBP. No questions.

Latrinsorm
03-01-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Syberus
What chaps my ass is that they aren't going to allow Sorcerers to convert to Savants eventually (not.. that I would really want to) I think there should be an option though. It seems kinda bullshit to allow for this and then turn around and say the other isn't going to be offered. Sorcerer is elemental/spiritual. Savants are mental. They aren't even close. I'd say bard or empath to savant would make the most sense, but even then not so much.

I agree with SP. Two easy ways to solve this would be have a 2 to 1 level conversion or not allow conversions above the average paladin level.

theotherjohn
03-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
I still think it's ridiculous that we could theoretically see current level 100 warriors or clerics suddenly be level 100 paladins.

I think Simu should charge a fee and let you convert as many times as you want to any profession that you want

Soulpieced
03-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Grass is always greener on the other side. Looking at it now, I wouldn't want to be any profession other than a bard.

theotherjohn
03-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Grass is always greener on the other side. Looking at it now, I wouldn't want to be any profession other than a bard.

I get bored. That is one of the reasons I have bought and sold so many characters

Syberus
03-02-2005, 02:22 AM
I think you could make a decent argument that although Sorcerers are technically spiritual and elemental, a lot of our spells are mental in nature, 709 is an illusion, 713 is mental, 717 is mental, they took 703 from us to give to savants to begin with, 706 works on a target's mind and shorts it out to stun them, 707 is an illusion etc.

Alarke
03-02-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm personally totally against the conversion as a whole! I've been playing a paladin since the day they came out. I'm approaching 30 and still dont know half I need to about controlling them. Who knows what would happen if i took Alarke (80) and made him hunt OTF as a paladin, it'd be a total mess. I also think the power that those paladins will get will be quickly abused and Simu will regret the fact they allowed conversion at all.

Amaron
03-02-2005, 08:29 AM
I have a warrior who I have always wanted to convert. ( she is only 13 trains nothing earth shattering)

I am looking forward to this but hope it does go smoothly.

J

Xcalibur
03-02-2005, 08:46 AM
They should not allow that.

Going to kill the pleasure of leveling a paladin.

Parkbandit
03-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

I think Simu should charge a fee and let you convert as many times as you want to any profession that you want

"Hey look, there goes Falgrin the Empath eating chocolate and hugging everyone! He's so nice now that he changed!"

You do realize that Gemstone is supposed to be a roleplaying game, right?

HarmNone
03-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I'm afraid, Parkbandit, that "supposed to be" is the operative phrase in your statement. Sadly, that aspect of GemStone all but disappeared years ago. :(

theotherjohn
03-02-2005, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

"Hey look, there goes Falgrin the Empath eating chocolate and hugging everyone! He's so nice now that he changed!"

You do realize that Gemstone is supposed to be a roleplaying game, right? [/quote]

Im sorry but I do not see your connection between RP and profession.

Parkbandit
03-02-2005, 10:48 AM

You do realize that Gemstone is supposed to be a roleplaying game, right?

Im sorry but I do not see your connection between RP and profession. [/quote]

And thus the problem with Gemstone today.

How IC would it be for Falgrin the notorious thief to all of a sudden one day not steal from people and actually heal people? He's never really helped anyone but himself.. and now he's in the middle of TSC helping to heal people.

Or he goes from physical thief to magical mage and no one would think otherwise?

How fucked up would the stories of Camelot be if Merlin one day decided to give up his magic to become a regular old knight who could all of a sudden swing a giant sword with no problem?

I'm not suggesting that profession denotes your complete roleplay.. but it is as much of your character as your race and your 'experience'.

theotherjohn
03-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm not suggesting that profession denotes your complete roleplay.. but it is as much of your character as your race and your 'experience'.

actually you are saying that profession denotes your RP.

Why do you have to be empath that heals and eats choco?

why cant you still steal and be mean as a empath?

It is your version of puffs that limits your RP as one not the game

Fallen
03-02-2005, 11:08 AM
If they allow profession swaps beyond this one, they may as well allow race swaps too.

I am not all for this Paladin conversion, but I can see the logic behind it. I just hope it goes roughly and they call it off for Monks/Savants.

Fallen
03-02-2005, 11:11 AM
actually you are saying that profession denotes your RP.>>

One characteristic that is often used when judging someone on their roleplaying ability is their consistency. This idea extends beyond mannerisms and accents, it has to do with all facets of your character.

[Edited on 3-2-2005 by Fallen]

Parkbandit
03-02-2005, 11:12 AM

Actually, you need to re-read my post again. Profession isn't the ONLY aspect that determines your roleplay, but it is a large part. The mechanics simply force that. Way to only use the one sarcastic example I gave.

Falgrin is a dwarven thief. He has been that way for close to 5-6 years now. He's known for being a thief by many people. Do you really think that people would be able to suspend their beliefs if tomorrow they say Falgrin in the middle of TSC, healing someone? Or that he was out hunting and instead of using his giant cleaver to ambush something from hiding.. he instead cast implosion on them?

Simply put.. open conversion from any profession to any profession is a very stupid idea for a roleplaying game.

Parkbandit
03-02-2005, 11:13 AM

Actually, you need to re-read my post again. Profession isn't the ONLY aspect that determines your roleplay, but it is a large part. The mechanics simply force that. Way to only use the one sarcastic example I gave.

Falgrin is a dwarven thief. He has been that way for close to 5-6 years now. He's known for being a thief by many people. Do you really think that people would be able to suspend their beliefs if tomorrow they see Falgrin in the middle of TSC, healing someone? Or that he was out hunting and instead of using his giant cleaver to ambush something from hiding.. he instead cast implosion on them?

Simply put.. open conversion from any profession to any profession is a very stupid idea for a roleplaying game.