PDA

View Full Version : Animating Elementals

Fallen
02-25-2005, 12:25 PM
Considering the existing limitations of the spell of Animate Dead, I believe the ability to animate creatures of an elemental nature would aid in increasing both the roleplaying aspect and the functionality of the spell. However, I believe such an ability should not come without investing effort into the practice.

As it stands now, sorcerers have little reason to train in Elemental lore other than its minor enhancive qualities to the spell of Dark Catalyst, and the ability to attune to specific elements. I believe that if a sorcerer is willing to pick up a minimum amount of ranks in his favored element, they should have an increasing chance to animate beings aligned to that elemental plane.

In terms of this ability's addition to the roleplaying of Necromancers, it would allow a sense of customization for the spell. Those that wish to demonstrate their superior control when performing animation beyond that of the common practitioner would have a outlet to do so. The inclusion of sorcerer's dominance over a specific element would allow us as sorcerers to commune with the elemental side of our magics, rather than our usual concentration of the more spiritual aspects of our art. Some would claim this to be the realm of wizards alone. I believe, however, that the act of manipulating the elements in such a deviant manner is a completely sorcerous concept.

The mechanical benefits to animating creatures of an elemental nature should be relatively obvious. A sorcerer with control over a relatively weak creature of ice could wreak great havoc amongst monsters of an opposing element. Considering the stiff limitations forced upon us by the MAL formula, I believe this could aid in providing a more formidable animate to the enterprising sorcerer.

Ideally, I would also like to see Sorcerers be able to animate Non-corporeal creatures through the use of more complex rituals and Lore training such as Spiritual Lore: Summoning. Any improvement at all in the range of creatures which we could animate would no doubt be appreciated by the sorcerous community at large.

What I would like hear from my fellow sorcerers is the Lore training requirements they would feel is appropriate before being able to animate creatures of a specific elemental alignment. Any and all comments as to this idea are more than welcome.

Evarin and his Mis'ri
Originally posted at the SR

Fallen
02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Idea is a no-go as per Lothwyn. Oh well...Taken from the Official Boards.

---

<<I honestly do not see the possibility of Sorcerers animating elementals. Not only would they have to resolve the matter of loss of cohesion in the creature when they kill it, but the elemental would steadily lose power the farther it is away from its elemental nexus. Thus it wouldn't be a viable animate and would likely re-lose cohesion after moving a specific distance away. >> - Lothwyn

Perhaps we could continually channel mana to the creature so as to help maintain the link to the creature and its Elemental realm. Have the skill based upon Elemental Mana share.

However, if one red letter is against the idea, I doubt its even worth further discussion. Thank you for the quick response, Lothwyn.

Evarin and his Mis'ri