PDA

View Full Version : America's Economy

Apotheosis
02-24-2005, 03:46 PM
:-X

StrayRogue
02-24-2005, 03:50 PM
China, by all accounts shall be the worlds biggest economy in 2046 I believe. From how I was told it has something to do with a capitalist elite exploiting the Communist workforce for mass profit.

Warriorbird
02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
Ironic. Then again can we really listen to anyone from a country where soccer fans wish death upon someone attempting to buy a team and keep it going?

:whistles:

StrayRogue
02-24-2005, 03:54 PM
Just as much credibility as the same country who thinks not signing the Kyoto Accord is not much of a big deal.

Anyway, the Bildeberg group is primarily American based, so I'm sure they won't let America's interests slip too far.

GSTamral
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
<<<
1> china has now overtaken the US as having the largest consumer base in the world.

2> china and other countries have taken over a large majority of the manufacturing that was once our god given right.

This and many other factors, that have been going on for a number of years indicates, obviously, that things are changing regarding america's economic power, and the current socio-economic base in our country (rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, less middle class).

So, oh wise people out there, where is america's economy truly headed, and please don't use statistics.

>>>

Not just china. Many countries have taken manufacturing over. Hong Kong, China, India, Taiwan. Union labor in the US market has priced itself out of contention for manufacturing. It's simply cheaper to build it elsewhere, and send it over here to be warehoused. Give it another 10-15 years, and we won't be warehousing much either.

Supply Chain economics is an exploding field that covers just this phenomenon.

Is it a good or bad thing? Time will tell. The US has become a service economy. Service positions tend to pay better, and they also tend to be salaried. But for every 3 manufacturing jobs lost, you are lucky to create 2 service positions, providing companies that were into manufacturing reinvest into the service market.

But the creation of a service economy also leaves the lower and lower middle class behind, because while pay is going up elsewhere, they are still stuck where they are.

China will probably pass the US in GDP sooner than 2046. That will put them at about a fifth of where the US is per capita. More importantly, as China has opened up its market, many of the companies receiving the biggest windfalls are the US companies moving in.

I'd say if you are college educated, and not in dance/flyfishing, you will generally tend to think long term we are headed in a good direction. Without the college education, you would probably think otherwise.

Warriorbird
02-24-2005, 04:00 PM
Eh. Lot more than them out there. Me, I'm hoping the Council for Foreign Relations tips the KBR/Halliburton/Oil/Murdoch conglomerate over.

Warriorbird
02-24-2005, 04:02 PM
"I'd say if you are college educated, and not in (any other major than business), you will generally tend to think long term we are headed in a good direction."

GSTamral
02-24-2005, 04:05 PM
To add to the previous post, Europe would be a classic example of an economy that could become greater than the US, but is not taking steps in that direction. They are currently dealing with very high unemployment, an artificially high (but stable) Euro value, and a manufacturing industry base problem that rivals the US steel industry issues from the 1970's.

GSTamral
02-24-2005, 04:08 PM
<<
"I'd say if you are college educated, and not in (any other major than business), you will generally tend to think long term we are headed in a good direction."
>>

I'm an engineer by trade, and I think we're just fine. I know plenty of engineers, business majors, math majors, and even english majors who would refute that. The job market has begun to re-open, and looking at the salaries that are being offered, they are pretty damn good, at least on the eastern seaboard.

Apotheosis
02-24-2005, 04:13 PM
:-X

Warriorbird
02-24-2005, 04:14 PM
If you get all your ideas about where the country is going solely from looking at the people who are actually recieving unemployment... you definitely could come to that conclusion, Tamral.

That and say the Drudge Report. Or marketing propaganda. Or people with Horatio Alger complexes.

Then again, none of that really has all that much to do with anything overseas... and our perceptions are pretty damn low out there.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by Warriorbird]

Back
02-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Well Tamral, you had me interested up until the very last line. But WTF? Right? This is my uneducated view.

Looking over the global trend now... America is so in debt its absurd, just like most of its citizens. The rest of the world knows this. Its no secret. But I think the rest of the world is starting to realize they don’t need us to survive. They can now begin to ignore us if they want.

I’d have to say that America’s economy will suffer over the next decade. I seriously doubt it will crash real hard, with the rest of the global community aware that they don’t really want us to suffer to horribly. But it will decline, and we’ll need some other way to keep it afloat other than war.

AnticorRifling
02-24-2005, 04:19 PM
America's economy would vastly improve if someone bought my warrior in the next few hours.

Parkbandit
02-24-2005, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by AnticorRifling
America's economy would vastly improve if someone bought my warrior in the next few hours.

Would that be considered "Trickle down" economics?

Too funny.:lol::lol:

theotherjohn
02-24-2005, 05:26 PM
there are many reasons why I dislike service in the Military.

one of the main reasons I stay is I know I will never get laid off