PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why..

Czeska
05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
A friend is trying to talk my guy into playing WoW. They know I won't play (I just don't do graphics games) so they don't bother talking to me about it anymore.

But someone's told my man horror stories about the servers going down, blah blah yadda.. and so now he's debating if it's even worth trying.

He's playing some GS again, but tends to burn out, and he's not into RPing a ton, anyway. So my question is, if he asks why he should try WoW.. what's the answer?

05-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Because its fun. Better yet, go to www.worldofwarcraft.com

If it sounds good, it's for him, if not then don't play. I've had a server drop me once in my entire time playing.

- Arkans

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Czeska
He's playing some GS again, but tends to burn out, and he's not into RPing a ton, anyway. So my question is, if he asks why he should try WoW.. what's the answer?

He sounds kind of like me when it comes to GS.

I play WoW because it's a multi-player strategy game that happens to be based in medieval (loosely, you know what I mean) time period, which is a plus to me.

Just don't go into it thinking of it like a graphical Gemstone, because it really isn't. It's a lot of fun though, as long as you like multi-player strategy games.

05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
It's closer to Warcraft 3 than it is any type of role-playing game.

- Arkans

Beer Goddess
Well it depends on which server you play on some of the higher population ones are miserable really. However it also depends on what he likes as well, they have pvp, rp, and pve servers. I have characters on each kind of server really.

It all just depends on what mood Im in when I play. Its a major difference from GS and if he gets so burnt out on it so easy then WoW is really a nice change. Look at it this way the first month is basically free you have an entire month to play and see if he does like it, if not then you aren't really out anything except for the cost of the game itself.

The difference between the servers.
Pvp -obviously this is self explanatory you get to slaughter people of the opposite faction at pretty much your whim. It can get pretty tiring after awhile if you are trying to quest. Especially when you have 13 14 year olds going after you constantly trying to prove their e-penis size. You have to choose either Horde or alliance.

pve- you can choose to pvp if ya want, but mostly its just a normal server or what pvp'ers like to call a "carebear" server. Once again have the option of creating a horde or alliance on this server

rp - Eh, you MIGHT randomly find some rp on these servers so far I've not found very much however most of these have pretty nice people and you don't have to pvp once again if you don't want too. You can also create horde or alliance characters on this server

If he does choose to join I can help him out if he chooses one of the servers I'm on.

Spirestone
Dunemaul
Shadow Council
Argent Dawn
Khadgar

So thats basically yet and yes I know its an extremely large post but WoW has its ups and downs just like any game. Though every Tuesday is scheduled matienance for servers and is always down for a few hours.

Edited because I left out a word and Im to tired to make much sense.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Beer Goddess]

Nieninque
The servers go down (excluding weekly maintenance) way less than GS does/did.

Nieninque
05-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Beer Goddess
Well it depends on which server you play on some of the higher population ones are miserable really. However it also depends on what he likes as well, they have pvp, rp, and pve servers. I have characters on each kind of server really.

It all just depends on what mood Im in when I play. Its a major difference from GS and if he gets so burnt out on it so easy then WoW is really a nice change. Look at it this way the first month is basically free you have an entire month to play and see if he does like it, if not then you aren't really out anything except for the cost of the game itself.

The difference between the servers.
Pvp -obviously this is self explanatory you get to slaughter people of the opposite faction at pretty much your whim. It can get pretty tiring after awhile if you are trying to quest. Especially when you have 13 14 year olds going after you constantly trying to their e-penis size. You have to choose either Horde or alliance.

pve- you can choose to pvp if ya want, but mostly its just a normal server or what pvp'ers like to call a "carebear" server. Once again have the option of creating a horde or alliance on this server

rp - Eh, you MIGHT randomly find some rp on these servers so far I've not found very much however most of these have pretty nice people and you don't have to pvp once again if you don't want too. You can also create horde or alliance characters on this server

If he does choose to join I can help him out if he chooses one of the servers I'm on.

Spirestone
Dunemaul
Shadow Council
Argent Dawn
Khadgar

So thats basically yet and yes I know its an extremely large post but WoW has its ups and downs just like any game. Though every Tuesday is scheduled matienance for servers and is always down for a few hours.

Who do you play on Dunemaul?

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 01:01 PM
I personally have played PvE, RP, and PvP, and I must say PvP is the most fun.

It's not really Warcraft-like if you can wander in contested zones with your PvP flag off and not have to worry about getting blindsided. It's the whole premise of the Warcraft saga, Horde vs. Alliance.

I don't find it that hard to get away after you're killed, I just ressurect while running my ghost, put on Aspect of the Cheetah, and run away. I've been corpse camped countless times and maybe killed upon rezzing once.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Hulkein]

Beer Goddess
On Dunemaul it depends I have about 3 characters, Im not associated with the guild there. I keep deleting and trying something new so honestly It just depends on which mood Im in. I can't even remember their names right now *none of them are above 6th* My main pvp server is Spirestone I have a 46th mage on there named Fiory.

However I might make one and stick to it on Dunemaul, however it will be horde haha. So I'll get back to you on that.

Edited again because like I said IM tired and I meant to quote also *cry* :lol:

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by Beer Goddess]

Showal
<<The servers go down (excluding weekly maintenance) way less than GS does/did.>>

I don't know why everyone says this. I rarely RARELY have GS go down on me.

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
GS used to always go down.

05-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Is it true there really is no RP on the RP servers? Was thinking of making an Alliance guy on one.

- Arkans

Beer Goddess
05-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Is it true there really is no RP on the RP servers? Was thinking of making an Alliance guy on one.

- Arkans

It depends on which server on Argent Dawn I see more RP on the alliance side than I do the horde...however on Shadow Council they tend to be kinda anal about rp on both sides. So while they are anal about it I've not run into very much either.

Cause really kids see the WOW LOW POP or whatever and yeah it goes from there. However it is a nice change from the slice and dice of the pvp servers. But occasionally you can find some rp and when I have found it, its been great. I also have been told its also guild related alot of the guilds are heavily rp based too.

Czeska
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
He can RP.. he just doesnt much. So that might work for him. Plus it'd save us money *stares off* .

CrystalTears
05-25-2005, 01:09 PM
I don't know about NO RP. Last night I was playing on Argent Dawn and was exchanging items with someone in front of the inn. I noticed others chatting in the meantime. They were all speaking in character. Since you see the chat balloons now, one guy said "lol". And of course someone said, "what is lol?" and I said that sometimes you laugh so hard you start talking gibberish. He tried to explain what lol stood for and he wasn't getting the other people's point. All in all I see RP way more than I did in other graphical online games.

Anyhoo, I've played characters on each kind of server and I'm just an RP kind of girl. One day I'll play my horde character more and try out PvP. I just got disgusted last time I was questing and a warlock kept killing all the NPCs and myself. I just wanted to finish my quest, damnit! So yeah, that was irritating.

05-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I figured it would be guild related. I was in a great guild in SWG and did some nice RP. Ended up being a Mon Calamari diplomat that brokered a cease-fire between the largest Imperial and largest Rebel guild on the server.

- Arkans

Sean of the Thread
05-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I don't know about NO RP. Last night I was playing on Argent Dawn and was exchanging items with someone in front of the inn. I noticed others chatting in the meantime. They were all speaking in character. Since you see the chat balloons now, one guy said "lol". And of course someone said, "what is lol?" and I said that sometimes you laugh so hard you start talking gibberish. He tried to explain what lol stood for and he wasn't getting the other people's point. All in all I see RP way more than I did in other graphical online games.

Anyhoo, I've played characters on each kind of server and I'm just an RP kind of girl. One day I'll play my horde character more and try out PvP. I just got disgusted last time I was questing and a warlock kept killing all the NPCs and myself. I just wanted to finish my quest, damnit! So yeah, that was irritating.

Imagine how much fun it was for the warlock tho HAHAHAH.

CrystalTears
05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Heh, yeah I'm sure. I never understood the joy of a 40+ character pwning a 20 level character. Ooo you're so strong, kill me again! Maybe it was fun for her but it wasn't for me if I never had a fighting chance. If she was around my level, I would have tried to kick her ass and would have probably enjoyed it hella more.

05-25-2005, 01:14 PM
I think being chased by a higher level character is fun. Adrenaline rush and all.

- Arkans

The Korean
05-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Yeah, being chased is fun. You keep thinking in your head while running hopefully into some allies, going "Am I going to make it? Am I going to make it?"

The answer to that is usually no for me.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 01:30 PM
I think being chased by a higher level character is fun. Adrenaline rush and all.

- Arkans

One of the benefits of the guild.

"Hey Alorg.. I am coming towards you with 2 alliance on my ass. I'll run by you, you stealth and sap one of them.. I'll flip around and we'll kill them both"

Good fucking times.

05-25-2005, 01:31 PM
I've met other people from the guild rarely at best (excluding Sinax) :(

- Arkans

The Korean
05-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Cuz there all 20+ levels on us. We're catching up to the slowpokes though.

05-25-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm just hoping to be as close to 60 as possible for Battlegrounds.

- Arkans

The Korean
05-25-2005, 01:37 PM
At the rate we level, I'd give it 5 weeks before we hit 50 at least.

05-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Yeah, that looks about right, which isn't bad all things considered (though it would be great if it was faster!)

- Arkans

Czeska
05-25-2005, 01:40 PM
Is WoW downloadable off that site (I can't check from here) or do you still have to buy it at the store?

05-25-2005, 01:41 PM
That download would be disgusting.

- Arkans

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Yeah, that looks about right, which isn't bad all things considered (though it would be great if it was faster!)

- Arkans

I think you could do it much faster. Those 30s to mid 40s levels can easily be done one per day if you're mainly questing and don't get involved in PvP or goofing around in Org.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 01:44 PM
I've met other people from the guild rarely at best (excluding Sinax) :(

- Arkans

Stabbed is now 26 and is willing to do instances with weak ass 32 levelers like you.

Just let me know :P

05-25-2005, 01:46 PM
I'd love to quest and instance and believe me, if I'm in game, I'm up for it all. The only problem is finding the quests that I can bang out. Considering I focus soley on leveling (no professions, no PvP unless they are guarding a fucking entrance) I really am determined!

- Arkans

Back
05-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I have RARELY had extreme lag (cable connection) and a handful of what I like to think of as ‘server resets’.

No more or less, so far, than any text game in fact.

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by The Korean
Cuz there all 20+ levels on us. We're catching up to the slowpokes though.

You're Sinax?

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 02:36 PM
PS. We have 5 that can do instances together, no problem.

Me (Grolock, level 29 now), Arkans, Sinax, Stabbed, Lefallah. Is there a healer in that group? I don't know all your professions.

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:37 PM
<-------------- Sinax, 32 priest, the best damn healer in the lands.

edited to say: the only thing I see wrong with that list is of those 5, we have one, maybe two possible tanks.

[Edited on 5-25-2005 by The Korean]

05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
I can decently tank.

- Arkans

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Two rogues (I'm pretty sure Lefallah is a rogue) can always sap though, and we have my pet.

I think we'd be OK.

05-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Okay, so what time is everything happening?

- Arkans

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, arkans has that hour drive thing, I gotta do stupid chores and stuff to get my room ready for the random thursday inspections....7pm eastern good for everyone?

05-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Let's see..

That's around the time I'll be settling down after dinner and walking my dogs. Let's do it to it.

- Arkans

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:48 PM
I just have two rules. Stabbed isn't leading, and Stabbed better not be pulling a Bayne.

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
Wait, I don't think Stabbed and Lefallah can do RFK fully yet. 2 of the quests are like 30-somethin....

Hulkein
05-25-2005, 02:49 PM
I got night class from 6-9 eastern.

Don't wait up for me though if you can get a different 5th, I'm not sure I'll be on after the class tonite either, but I probably will be around 9:30.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I'll be up for it.

RFK?

Parkbandit
Wait, I don't think Stabbed and Lefallah can do RFK fully yet. 2 of the quests are like 30-somethin....

Rogues are overpowered.. we can do it.

:)

Wezas
Originally posted by Parkbandit
I'll be up for it.

RFK?

Can't you leave politics out of any thread?

The Korean
Razorfen Kraul

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:53 PM
I believe you can get Blueleaf tubers in ratchet, gauno gauno gone in UC near the artisan alchemist, and I can't remember where the other one picks up at.

05-25-2005, 02:54 PM
If I can't make it to them in a reasonable time before it all starts are they shareable?

- Arkans

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 02:55 PM
I believe you can get Blueleaf tubers in ratchet, gauno gauno gone in UC near the artisan alchemist, and I can't remember where the other one picks up at.

I have tubers.. and I'll look up the others tonight.

It might be too late for Nein to do an instance though... being british and all.

Parkbandit
05-25-2005, 02:55 PM
If I can't make it to them in a reasonable time before it all starts are they shareable?

- Arkans

No.. tubers requires a mole box, stick and something else to do.

The Korean
05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
I believe the UC one should be sharable, since there are no pre-resequites for it. Blueleaf tubers isn't, because you need to pick up an item for it, as for the 3rd, I can't remember. You can pick up blueleaf tubers quickly since it's in the barrens with RFK

05-25-2005, 02:56 PM
I need to hurry my ass home then!

- Arkans

05-25-2005, 02:57 PM
i played for a while. I found it rather boring.

CrystalTears
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Heh, you guys are funny. Everytime someone asks about the pros about WoW, it ends up being a thread about you guys getting together for quests or raids.

If that's not incentive to play because it makes grown men THIS excited, I don't know what is. ;)

SnatchWrangler
05-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

No.. tubers requires a mole box, stick and something else to do.

But only one person needs the mole, box, and stick.

They can keep getting the tubers to grow, and other people can harvest them.

Then you can go back to Ratchet, pick up the box, stick, and mole, then turn them all in. (I know this was the way I did, cuz I couldn't find out how to get the damn box...and the questgiver doesn't actually give it to you, it's on the ground next to him.)