PDA

View Full Version : Tone Revisited...

AnticorRifling
09-14-2003, 07:32 PM
I want you all to post snippets of idiots that don't uderstand why we laugh at them when they don't know how to use tone. I see it all the time and everytime I end up laughing at the person and they have no idea why I'm mocking them.

I'll start.

Zimn warmly says, "im strting to look evil again"
[Script]>
Zimn shrugs.
[Script]>
Raelin begins to meticulously examine a scratched gold coffer.
[Script]>
Medrak begins to meditate on his lot in life.
[Script]>
Jegang stands up.
[Script]>
Jegang just went south.
[Script]>mutter idiot
You mutter idiot.
[Script]>l zim
You see Zimn the Spellweaver.
He appears to be a Dark Elf.
He appears to be very young and average height. He has piercing dark eyes and dark skin. He has long, straight dark brown hair with lighter streaks. He has a small nose and slightly pointed ears. He is inked with a pattern of interwoven crimson thorned vines upon his face.
He is in good shape.
He is wearing some ghastly raven-hued trousers, a somber death mask, a gold ring, a ghostly white leather satchel, some ghostly white leather sandals, a white imflass shield, some ghostly white leather, a gold earring, a wild black rose, an embroidered ecru raw silk robe, a blackened leather wand harness, a sable scroll case, an elegant black silk gem pouch, a well-oiled braided leather belt with a lily-engraved imflass longsword hanging from it, and a crystal amulet.
[Script]>
Raelin removes a golden alum bracelet-looped lockpick from her wrist.
[Script]>exper

Level: 5 Experience: 53095
Next level at: 70000 exp. Exp. until next lvl: 16905
Fame: 16274 Mana: 12/12 Max
Deeds: 0 Deaths this level: 0

Your mind is numbed.
[Script]>
Raelin settles into the difficult task of picking the lock on a scratched gold coffer.
Then...CLICK! It opens!
[Script]>
Zimn glances at you.
[Script]>raise eye
You give your eyebrow a little workout.
[Script]>

[Script aborted.]
Raelin attaches a golden alum bracelet-looped lockpick to her wrist.
>time
Today is Restday, day 14 of the month Imaerasta in the year 5103. It is 13:44 by the elven time standard. It is currently afternoon.
>
Raelin offers Kaelaan a scratched gold coffer.
>
Kaelaan accepts Raelin's gold coffer.
>
Kaelaan just opened a scratched gold coffer.
Zimn warmly asks, "who's an idiot?"
>
Olivier stands up.
>
Olivier removes a short sword from in his heavy backpack.
>
Olivier just went south.
>
You hear a quiet splash as Kaelaan drops his strongbox in the well.
>
Kaelaan removes some aloeas stem from in his gold coffer.
>'Without naming names, the person that warmly expounds upon the evilness of their "look"
You say, "Without naming names, the person that warmly expounds upon the evilness of their "look""
>
Kaelaan offers Raelin some aloeas stem.
>
Raelin accepts Kaelaan's aloeas stem.
>
Raelin cringes.
>
Kaelaan gathers the remaining coins from inside his gold coffer.
>
Zimn warmly says, "i dont know you watch your mouth dwarf"
>
Raelin put some aloeas stem in her black leather longcoat.
>'You don't know me. Watch your own.
You say, "You don't know me. Watch your own."
>
Bruener just arrived.
>
Bruener just went south.
>'Or should I say...
You say, "Or should I say..."
>tone warm
Your tone is now warm.
>
Raelin gives Kaelaan a warm buss on the lips.
>'Or else.
You warmly say, "Or else."
>
Raelin gives Kaelaan a lingering kiss.
>grunt amused
You grunt, amused.
>tone 1
Your tone is now normal speech.
>
You hear a quiet splash as Kaelaan drops his coffer in the well.
>
Zimn starts chuckling at you!
>
The appearance of great calm leaves Medrak as he looks up and glances around.

Medrak asks, "Why can't all we all just...get along?"
>
Medrak snickers.
>
Medrak begins to meditate on his lot in life.
>
Zimn warmly says, "or else youll drool on my knees"
>
Raelin hugs Kaelaan, who wraps her in a warm embrace.
>
Kaelaan seems a bit less imposing.
>grunt elf
You grunt in obvious distaste.
>
Bruener just arrived.
>
Bruener just went northeast.
>'You must have me confused with one of your breeding, I don't drool.
You say, "You must have me confused with one of your breeding, I don't drool."

Then he went silent and just sat there.

GSLeloo
09-14-2003, 07:33 PM
I don't really see tone as that big of a thing... I tend to ignore it

Miss X
09-14-2003, 08:15 PM
hehehe, someone 'jokingly' asked me for healing the other day, so I just laughed at him and ignored it, assuming he didnt really want healing, as he sounded like he was joking! Mwahahaha

SpunGirl
09-14-2003, 08:37 PM
I got yelled at by the twittiest healer on the planet when I made fun of someone "mysteriously" asking for healing.

What's so goddamn mysterious about that?

-k

Miss X
09-14-2003, 08:41 PM
the best is when someone crypticaly asks me for healing..... takes me a while to work out what they actually want! ::cackle::

Snapp
09-14-2003, 09:15 PM
Jaymee warmly says, "well then stop it you stupid ass"

Jaymee warmly says, "no you are what does a name matter to you stupid idiot!"

She ranted on and on all while attacking someone.. but I'm sure she meant it warmly...

DCSL
09-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Blargh, I need to save a log of Hevinsbane who constantly approaches Kuaike in their hunting area, day after day, even though she keeps brushing him off and telling him she doesn't want to talk to him. He's always got a proud tone.

Back
09-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Lady Daina
Nahalaluna flirtatiously asks, "anyone around that could get my booboos for me?"

::rolls eyes::

Heh, I'd be tempted to squeese her BOOBoos.

Kurili
09-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Blargh, I need to save a log of Hevinsbane who constantly approaches Kuaike in their hunting area, day after day, even though she keeps brushing him off and telling him she doesn't want to talk to him. He's always got a proud tone.

Whatever you do...dont let him join you to hunt!! It's a nightmare. And he's pushy about it.

Acolyte Kurili, practicing the brush-off

ElanthianSiren
09-17-2003, 02:39 AM
The trick is to own a million accounts and set your tone to something that applies in all situations.

::flees::

-Melissa

Fabled
09-17-2003, 02:42 AM
Ironically I know someone like that... Okay maybe not a million, but 7....

Kurili
09-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Ironically I know someone like that... Okay maybe not a million, but 7....

Hmmm....could it be....naah, couldnt be. You wouldnt be mentioning him. Naaah

DCSL
09-17-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Kurili
Whatever you do...dont let him join you to hunt!! It's a nightmare. And he's pushy about it.

Heh, Kuaike would never allow a strangely proud giantman to join her. You're right, though, he is REALLY pushy. I mean, Kuaike can be damn rude, especially to people she thinks are beneath her, and he STILL won't give up.

I think the last time she said, "Look, what part of 'I don't want to talk or be social' don't you understand? Stop talking to me. I don't like you or your strangely constant proud tone." Something like that.. didn't save it, unfortunately.

Kurili
09-17-2003, 02:49 AM
My little Sorceress almost screamed....I think she did in fact, when her hunting companion (nice guy) let him join us. My companion was amused by him. My Sorceress was livid.

This was after she let him join her on one of her solo hunts a week or so before. NEVER again!

Acolyte Kurili

AnticorRifling
09-17-2003, 09:29 AM
I make fun of the person til they leave or until they get the hint.

Lokirro in Illistim always had a joking tone, I saw him die and no one went to rescue him. I went and asked if he needed help. He jokingly said yes so I laughed and walked away. Came back a few minutes later same thing. Eventually I got him to town(though he was still joking about being dead) and when he got raised he proceeded to call me an idiot. Not thanks for walking out of your way to get my dead joking ass. He's on the list!

Dighn Darkbeam
09-17-2003, 09:48 AM
I admit to using a pedantic tone for nearly every conversation for a while.

Pedantic - Characterized by a narrow, often ostentatious concern for book learning and formal rules: a pedantic attention to details.

It did fit more often than not.

Miss X
09-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I remember Aquamarine used to talk emphatically all the time, Id get so annoyed id have to leave the room she was in!
I used to stick to softly spoken for my empath, because thats how I imagined her speaking but I've tried to change around with tones lately because perma-tone is soooooo annoying!
V

SpunGirl
09-19-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
Jaymee warmly says, "well then stop it you stupid ass"

Jaymee warmly says, "no you are what does a name matter to you stupid idiot!"

She ranted on and on all while attacking someone.. but I'm sure she meant it warmly...

She must be related to Garr.

-K

HarmNone
09-19-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Kurili

My, you are a proud one, are you not? It surprises me, since I was standing nearby when you took a leak behind yonder bush. There is nothing to be proud of, believe me. :D

HarmNone would have a field day

Kurili
09-19-2003, 04:05 PM
hehehehe

Myshel
09-23-2003, 08:42 AM
I use melodic all the time.. Myshel is a bard and I figure thats fitting. Whats wrong with that?

Betheny
09-23-2003, 08:42 AM
Can you melodically say, Oh my god, they killed Kenny! YOU BASTARDS!

Betheny
09-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Oh, and record it and send me the WAV file, I could use a good giggle :D

AnticorRifling
09-23-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Myshel
I use melodic all the time.. Myshel is a bard and I figure thats fitting. Whats wrong with that?

Myshel melodically exclaims "I hate you!"

Myshel melodically says "I'm so depressed."

Myshel melodically says "I'm tone deaf."

Just made those up but it gets old.

It's called tone not monotone. Someone that talks melodically all the time reminds me of someone in a constant state of vocal warmups ie moving up and down the scale.

I've never had a specific tone set for more than a few sentances. It kind of defeats the purpose of it. Tone is something that you should use to help drive a point home.

Anticor melodically exclaims "Kiss my ass I hope you freakin die!" (Say that to the melody of Beethoven's 5th sounds really funny)

Myshel
09-23-2003, 09:29 AM
Well that explains it.. since I never say things like "Die bastard" or "I'm depressed" or the ever popular "Kiss my ass I hope you freakin die!"
"Myshel hums her words to "You are my Sunshine"
Oh my god, they killed Kenny! YOU BASTARDS!

Hips
09-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Ioeth rudely says, "Thanka kindly"
>
You say, "Thank you"
>
You smile.
>
Ioeth rudely says, "Be safe"
>
You put a vine-etched silver flask in your green ranger's cloak.
>
Ioeth rudely says, "Use it well"
>
Ioeth smiles at you.

He's rudely telling me to be safe?

Morstanya
09-26-2003, 07:53 AM
I haven't seen a single person that uses perma-tone keep their speech and actions in line with the chosen tone. Sooner or later they do something that's just not right. There are a few that are pretty good about it, and some that are even good enough to use ':tone for a single sentence when appropriate. Overall I don't like permatone cause it creates rediculous situations that detract from rp.

I'd really like to see people use ':tone more often. I started using it when it first came out but I have to admit I've slacked off lately and really should get back in the habit. It's pretty easy to read the tone list and pick out a few that seem to fit your character, and keep them in mind. I find I frequently could and should use ':mock and ':sarc for instance. Examples:

':sarc Yes, I'm impressed. You handled that extremely well, there's no doubt you are in the right.

':mock I find it incongruous that you jokingly mourn your friend's death.

':soft If you had something worth hearing you wouldn't need to keep shouting to get noticed.

Morstanya, Icewitch.

Snapp
09-26-2003, 05:48 PM
Inyk menacingly says, "those are sweet"

GemstoneFan
09-30-2003, 03:43 PM
Danios proudly exclaims, "oops sowie!"

*stare*

"sowie?" and how proudly he says it (I've never seen him ever change tone)

GemstoneFan
10-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I dunno but it's pretty irritating, it's getting to where I ignore it now and walk off.....<gag>

Sweets
10-03-2003, 09:35 PM
I can almost put up with someone speaking softly all the time. Or melodically (spelling, whatever I'm tired). There is this one gal that speaks teasingly all the time. It drives me bananas.

Krystala teasingly asks "Can anyone cast me a disk?"

How do we know if she is serious or not?

Krystala teasingly says, "I am not for sale."

Reeealllyyyyyy.........Was that supposed to be coolly said before she stomped away? Sounds like a tease to me fellas...go for it. :smug: