PDA

View Full Version : Work Advantages

GSLeloo
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
What special deals do you get from your work place?

CrystalTears
02-19-2005, 05:52 PM
I wish that the dealers we worked with would offer us discounts for vehicles.

The most we get is yearly bonuses... which by the way I should be getting soon. :D

GSLeloo
02-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Basically none except for our fish depart. Sem always gives my mom ridiculous deals. For example...

Today my mom sent Jill and I to get her 3 snow crab legs she needed to finish off a recipe. I didn't read the label and pointed to the only crab (12.99 a pound on sale) and told Sem I needed 3 of those. Sem weighs them, tags them, then throws a fourth into the bag and gives it to us.

When I got home and showed my mom it ended up what we bought was King crab (way bigger than snow crab and better quality) and when I finally looked at the label he gave it to us for 7.99 a pound instead. For once my work has some advantages... we saved so much money and she only needed to use 1 for the recipe, the other three will be saved.

HarmNone
02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
We get twice yearly bonuses, liberal paid days off, and free yearly physical examinations, including all laboratory costs. We also have excellent health benefits and the chance to do something worthwhile. It's a pretty darned good deal, really.

02-19-2005, 05:54 PM
Access to "free" computer accessories.

- Arkans

02-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Free exposure to P32.

Shari
02-19-2005, 06:37 PM
15% discount on everything in the store. And anytime someone comes in and gives away 100gallon fishtanks, fish, other pets, canister filters, etc. Our department gets first dibs.

<3 her 10gal and 30gal FREE fishtanks, and a good deal of free fish, and a treefrog.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-19-2005, 06:57 PM
- I get my taxes done by a tax professional for free
- Up to 30% of my annual salary in annual bonus (depends on my performance and the performance of the company)
- 100% tuition reimbursement after a year with the company
- stock options -- I forget the term, it's not given to me at a stock option price, but I get the entire value of the stock.

Think thats it, at least the big ones. 401k, health insurance, dental, etc, I consider that kind of standard issue with a job.

Back
02-19-2005, 07:08 PM
The boss parties.

While I haven’t taken advantage of it, we get invites to all the major functions in DC. Ok, I went to one black-tie.

We get a discount on Wolf Trap tickets. Been to one of those.

We drink beer in the office. Sometimes a team will throw a Happy Hour. Sometimes its just when we work late.

Hot chicks work there.

My job for the most part is techincal, but there are times when I get to be involved in creative brainstorming meetings, and get to sketch(draw) ideas for stuff.

Yearly bonus around 3-4% of salary.

Did I mention the hot chicks?

Oh yeah, they have 401k. Never bought it, never will.

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by Backlash]

Scott
02-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Discounts on just about everything known to man. From 1-800-flowers, to Dell, to broadway shows. Invitations to see premier movie openings (before released to the general public). Reimbursement to college classes.

I've never taken advantage of them, but they are offered. I only take advantage of the health/dental/401k.

Farquar
02-19-2005, 07:17 PM
At my Firm, the benefit packages are as follows, which is pretty standard among similar sized firms.

1st year asses (associates) straight out of law school start at $140,000 a year, plus a $30,000 discretionary year end bonus depending on how many hours you bill. The firm pays for your bar review course ($1800-2000) and all your bar association fees. Your pay increases about $10,000 a year until your 7th or 8th year, when you're up for partnership review. Partners split the profits, and last I heard, they were making about 2 mil each. Most people resign if passed up for partnership.

Insurance/Retirement
Full coverage health insurance for you and your spouse and dependents. I read the policy, pretty much any procedure is covered: transplants, anything cancer related, even acupunture/massages once a week. Unlimited visits to counseling/phsychiatrists of your choice (this is somewhat telling).
$1,000,000 life insurance, premiums to be paid by the Firm. You can buy more if you like, at very low rates.
You can make a 5% of annual salary contribution to your retirement fund. If you commit all 5%, the Firm will match it with an additional 5%.

Perks
4 weeks paid vacation.
Firm has an onsite concierge and travel agent, and we can get tickets to almost any event taking place in the city. The firm also leases/owns a luxury box in Madison Square Garden and Yankee Stadium thats usually free unless we have to use it to schmooze clients. The firm also has an onside fitness center.
Any business travel is always first class, paid for by the client.
We get expensive meals every day, paid for by the client we're currently billing.
You can get an interest-free loan for up to $50,000 for a car, and a very low interest loan for a house for up to $250,000.

HUGE caveat:
The above might sound extravagant, but its pretty much standard across all large law firms. We never have time to go to any of the massages, sporting events, and whatnot, because we have to do 60-70 hrs a week on average, plus 8-12 hrs every other Saturday. No one uses their vacation time. We're usualling eating the expensive meals at our desks alone, while reviewing documents. They may pay you six figs, but the Firm definitely gets it's money's worth. Why do they give us all this? It's not because they respect us, or because we're doing super important work. It's because no one in their right mind would even consider working here for any less. As it is, we have a super high attrition ratio (30% leave after the first two years), and I'm sure a lot of the grunts here hit the bottle and who knows what else.

peam
02-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Company:

Full health/dental/vision/etc. Plus a sweet pair of perscription sun-glasses.

401k, stock options, 30 year retirement that includes a full pension for myself and a pension of 48% of mine for a spouse.

More than enough vacation and paid personal days.

Full tuition assistance.

Significant discounts on Ford and GM vehicles, since we move their products.

Union:

Significant discounts with Avis and National car rental.

Significant discounts with multiple travel agencies.

Ability to bitch.

Gan
02-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Advantages...

Since my company deals in service related products I dont see a purchasing benefit... I do however only pay a 10$ co-pay for insurance, have no deductable, no lifetime maximum, and its 100% coverage for in-area appointments/physicians.... its a PPO not an HMO, and my company pays the premium for me, wife, and child (w00t!). Thats the biggest benefit aside from the fact that its a great company to work for people wise.

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 07:44 PM
I get to be evil and play my creative pranks on the cute little undergrad business majors that we hire. Its usually enough to sedate my bitter, resentful, the-world-owes-me, attitude.

Is that what you ment??

Ok then, umm....I get a discount on largescale tanker truck chemical shipping. ???wtf??? :no: :shrug:

Valthissa
02-19-2005, 07:51 PM
I have access to a world class machine shop and composite manufacturing facility. I can get almost anything made. A recent example is a special screw for my mother's sewing machine (circa 1965) was unavailable so I just took the broken one in, handed it to the machine shop foreman, and Friday before I left he handed me two.

Having worked there a little over twenty years and being an exec goes a long way. A few years back the composite shop made a canoe for me.

I've also aquired a massive collection of tools over the years. Micrometers, calipers, indicators, carbide mills & drills, precison blocks, granite work surfaces, a bridgeport mill, a beautiful compressor, etc.

C/Valth

Kainen
02-19-2005, 07:57 PM
As I work at an answering service, I have an answering service. We get discounts from most of the businesses we answer for. I can play GS at work, or watch TV, DVDs or VHS. We have a full kitchen and I rarely have to deal with people face to face. (On the phone I can mock them as much as I want in silence and they never know :D )

Snapp
02-19-2005, 07:59 PM
The usual... health/dental/401k and stock options. 15% discount on anything in the store. 20% of salary bonus yearly. Three weeks vaca, and a few perks from vendors (gift checks, t-shirts, small vacations, etc) depending on how well we sell their merchandise.

Stunseed
02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
10% off anything in the store. Health/Dental with a HMO, 5 days in the year I'm paid for working, even if I don't. I get 3 weeks of vacation, next year I'll start getting 4. Raises yearly of up to 10%, most people get anywhere from 3-5%. I only work 40 hours a week, F that 70-80 hour week in the A.

As of a few weeks ago, I do some of the operations of the store, allowing me to make my own schedule < to an extent >. I usually give myself the weekend off, or alternate Mon-Friday, then Tu-Saturday, so I can get two 3-day weekends a month. :yes:

Killer Kitten
02-19-2005, 08:09 PM
The zoo was a great job. I was there ten years, and if my hands weren't falling off (and Mike didn't get a job in Ohio) I'd have stayed there forever.

At the time I left I was getting 5 weeks (25 days) paid vacation, 12 paid holidays and 12 sick days. I never called in sick unless I was in the act of dying, so when I left they paid me out like 3 months worth of sick time.
401k, medical, dental, credit union, and all kinds of touchy feely crap (mediators, counseling center, that kind of stuff). Tuition reimbursment after your probation period (3 months) is up.
Intangiables were brainstorming access to some of the best veterinarians in the world, a great plus for somebody like me with lots of animals.
At my zoo we had an extra, though informal, perk. A nearby veterinarian gave a 25% discount on services to zoo employees as a professional courtesy to fellow animal field folks. Everybody at the zoo used him, he was a great vet and a great guy.
Oh yeah, we got a 20% discount on all gift shop merchandise and food at the Bronx Zoo, and free admission to all WCS facilities.

Kyra
02-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Slim pickin's on the benefits in healthcare around here.

Lemme see...I get the benefit of showing up to work & facing the risk of exposure to numerous bloodborne pathogens & airborne disease??

Oh yeah! There is medical ins. to the tune of $750/month if I can afford to carry it :lol:

K.

Edaarin
02-19-2005, 08:23 PM
I got a $0.35 raise every 3 months at my last job.

Myitkyina
02-19-2005, 08:27 PM
free condoms and lubricant.... not that I've taken advantage of either, but there's a decent supply of condoms, including both glow in the dark and flavored.

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by Myitkyina]

Edaarin
02-19-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Farquar
At my Firm, the benefit packages are as follows, which is pretty standard among similar sized firms.

<insert perks>

... because we have to do 60-70 hrs a week on average, plus 8-12 hrs every other Saturday. ...

The handful of U. Va alums I'm in touch with all tell me horror stories about working 80-90 hour weeks their first two years.

Back
02-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Myitkyina
free condoms and lubricant.... not that I've taken advantage of either, but there's a decent supply of condoms, including both glow in the dark and flavored.

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by Myitkyina]

WTF? Not about whether you’ve taken advantage, but are you a tester?

Myitkyina
02-19-2005, 08:49 PM
nah, I work at part-time for my university at the gay/lesbian resource center. Part-time means no "official" benefits, but we distribute condoms and lube for the students. The undergrads pick out what they like when they're doing the ordering, so it pretty much means glow-in-the-dark and flavored....

longshot
02-19-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo

When I got home and showed my mom it ended up what we bought was King crab (way bigger than snow crab and better quality) and when I finally looked at the label he gave it to us for 7.99 a pound instead. For once my work has some advantages... we saved so much money and she only needed to use 1 for the recipe, the other three will be saved.

Your father destroys his financial future by putting Christmas on his credit cards so you can save your dog... and your mom cooks recipies that require large quantities of crab??

Did you win the lottery while I was gone, or is your whole family...

retarded?

Bobmuhthol
02-19-2005, 09:14 PM
:)

GSLeloo
02-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Um the dog was fine so nothing had to be spent. And it wasn't huge amounts of crab because snow crab is cheap. I was the one who went out and bought the wrong kind of crab that ended up being expensive but was in the end cheap. And she never bought a huge amount of it, she bought like $10 worth...

Back
02-19-2005, 09:19 PM
Hook line and sinker.

Warriorbird
02-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Free film, camera use, free development. Stock and a retirement account that horrifies if I actually stay. I doubt I will.

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 09:39 PM
:O

I'm guessing because my face was a blank stare for a whole 2 minutes before I started giggling like a madwoman LONGSHOT IS POSTING AGAIN???

Job benifits....thought of some thing else I wanted to post but THANK YOU ASSHOLE FOR THE SHOCK TREATMENT, now I cant remember. :no:

Bobmuhthol
02-19-2005, 09:43 PM
<<I'm guessing because my face was a blank stare for a whole 2 minutes before I started giggling like a madwoman LONGSHOT IS POSTING AGAIN???>>

<<Registered 8-1-2004>>

02-19-2005, 09:46 PM
This thread has become awesome.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
02-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<I'm guessing because my face was a blank stare for a whole 2 minutes before I started giggling like a madwoman LONGSHOT IS POSTING AGAIN???>>

<<Registered 8-1-2004>>

.................... He left in November of 2004.

I think we got to play this arcade machine for free at my first job, but the game was lousy.

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 10:06 PM

<<Registered 8-1-2004>>

Hi. How are you, who are you, and WTF??!! does .......................... mean???

~R, not reading people minds tonight. :no:

Bobmuhthol
02-19-2005, 10:23 PM
<<He left in November of 2004.>>

Still.

02-19-2005, 10:26 PM
It means he hates blacks.

- Arkans

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 10:31 PM
THANK U ARKANS THAT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING

:bleh:

02-19-2005, 10:33 PM
I'm here to serve! :tumble:

- Arkans

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 10:34 PM
what was that?

COME AND GET IT!! Arkans' soft serve. And NO, its not ice cream.

/omgflee/

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

02-19-2005, 10:36 PM
:devil::devil::devil:

- Arkans

Keller
02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit

<<Registered 8-1-2004>>

Hi. How are you, who are you, and WTF??!! does .......................... mean???

~R, not reading people minds tonight. :no:

I believe Tabor has the answer.

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 10:52 PM
:lol2:

Work advantages. I remembered. I get to play with the new heavy machinery that comes in and tease smelly chemical engineers who work at my plants about taking showers. It never gets old. :lol:

Jazuela
02-19-2005, 11:39 PM
1) Half-price food, free food when the sandwich board people make a mistake on an order and we don't want to throw away the mistake (like putting pickles on a burger when the customer said no pickles)...

2) It's in walking distance to my house.

3) It's only 25 hours a week, during a time convenient to me.

4) The crew is awesome with only one exception - a manager that no one likes, but we only have to deal with her on Wednesdays

5) If it's not busy they let us volunteer to leave early (some don't volunteer because they need the hours)

6) Opportunity to work longer hours

7) Regular customers who are more like family than paying customers (Ed brings us donuts every Friday and Vinnie always comes in with a big grin on his face and tells all the girls how he wishes he was 50 years younger..heh)

8) We don't have to take 15 minute breaks on a schedule - as long as it's not busy and we let the boss know, we can duck out for a smoke.

9) If we need a day off, we just have to let the boss know. No red tape involved or forms to fill or "official corporate requests" or any of that stuff.

10) Food fights with Rufino, heh. Ever get pelted by a take-out pack of ketchup?

11) A boss who doesn't just stand there ordering people around - he'll make burgers himself if we're short-handed (though he sucks at it, heh) and mops and cleans and takes customer orders and fills the take-out bags just like the rest of us.

Mostly it's the small franchise community feeling that's the best benefit. Everyone knows everyone, customers and employees and bosses. One of the customers sometimes brings one of our employees to work when his car's not running, I'll sometimes drive one of the customers to the supermarket on my day off since I learned he lives near me..there's nothing like it. Sure it's "just" Burger King, but it's fun, legal, and pays the grocery bill.

02-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Christ, you couldn't pay me enough to a horrible nightmare of a job such as the one stated above.

- Arkans

Shari
02-20-2005, 12:21 AM
I think some of my most fun jobs was working in a restraunt.

I never worked in fast food but there wasn't a week that went by that we didn't get into horrendous food fights. I worked at a smokehouse restraunt and we were constantly going home with barbeque sauce in our hair and on our clothes.

Good times.

Edited because I need to stop skimming posts before *I* post.

[Edited on 2-20-2005 by Jesae]

Gamukak
02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Nice vacation and sick leave policies, full benefits at a very low cost, nice retirement, discount packages on everything travel/home/car related, opportunity to purchase computers and peripherals at major discounts (.10 on the dollar) when we buy new (which is annually), same with used vehicles.

Best benefit: I get flashed at least three times a day by college girls looking for work. I love counters and girls in low cut shirts with no bras who lean over them

Jazuela
02-20-2005, 12:22 AM
For me, it's a dream job. I'm very lucky to not "need" to work for a living..my pay isn't going toward expenses like the mortgage or utility bills, and my husband's job comes with free medical insurance for both of us. Plus I planned for retirement years ago and don't have to rely on social security to live when I turn 65 or whatever the age is these days.

Mostly it's just to get out of the house during the weekdays, earn grocery money so hubby doesn't have to take it out of our vacation funds, and socialize with folks who live in the town.

4a6c1
02-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Gamukak
Best benefit: I get flashed at least three times a day by college girls looking for work. I love counters and girls in low cut shirts with no bras who lean over them

Damnit. I want his job. :sniffle:

peam
02-20-2005, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit

Originally posted by Gamukak

Damnit. I want his job. :sniffle:

Just find a job in a college town.

When I was running the movie store, tits got more chicks out of late fees than I can count.

Shari
02-20-2005, 02:02 AM
Wait....so if I flash the guys at Blockbuster they wave my late fees!?!

I am so all over that.

Snapp
02-20-2005, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Jesae

I am so all over that.

Supposedly, Blockbuster has no more late fees. No worries!

Shari
02-20-2005, 02:09 AM
Oh yeaaaah, that's right!

We just order Pay-per-view usually.

02-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Great, I was about to become a permanent member of the Blockbuster Work community.

:grumble:

Jorddyn
02-20-2005, 09:30 AM
1. My boss (the corporate controller) and his boss (the CFO) are amazing. They're both incredibly hard working, tons of fun, very kind. Additionally, they understand that family is often more important than work. For example, this week we're finishing up a huge project (I'm actually at work now). My grandpa's brother passed away. I asked if I could leave early Thursday to pick up my grandpa from the airport and take him to the visitation. They told me to take off early Thursday, and feel free to take Friday for the funeral, too. I didn't, but the offer was incredible.

2. A free turkey every Thanksgiving and Christmas!

3. Yearly bonus. Nothing spectacular, but it is enough to pay for my vacation.

4. I share an office with my best friend. I know it isn't a company perk, but it makes work so much nicer.

5. Business casual dress, and jeans on Fridays. I hated hated hated wearing hose every day when I was in public accounting.

6. Several golf outings a year. I choose to be beer cart girl instead of golfing :D

7. Random Friday afternoon "staff meetings" at the country club where we run up a $400 bar tab.

8. Free access to the country club, except for golf cart rental.

9. The amusement of watching turkeys escape and be chased across the parking lot by the guys who load them :lol:

The pay isn't that great, my office is essentially a file room, but I don't know that I've ever liked a job more.

Jorddyn

Vad
02-20-2005, 11:42 AM
I never have to worry about what to wear to work.

Red letter days.

..I have 9 pairs of boots.

...Running out of perks.

....No discounts on cruise missiles yet, but you better believe if that ever happens Benny Hinn is getting fucking nuked.

-V

Scott
02-20-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Snapp

Originally posted by Jesae

I am so all over that.

Supposedly, Blockbuster has no more late fees. No worries!

If you don't bring it back in like 10 days, they charge you a 1.50 restocking fee. If you don't bring it back in 30 days, they charge you the full price of the movie. (Or something close to that effect.)

Mistomeer
02-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I work for the government, so there's not bonuses, but I do get:

Free stuff from vendors (Free meals, free trips, free training/books, free hardware/software, vendor discounts on personal purchases)

From work I can take home anything I want. Right now the collection is at a Cisco 2950, a titanium powerbook, and an IBM laptop. Things I have had and put back include Cisco 2600's, Pix firewalls, IBM xServes, Apple Airport, etc..

Hanksbane
02-20-2005, 01:08 PM
Um beside all the normal 401k stuff I get mad shwag (or however you spell that) from this company, I get to go to E3, Huge discounts on Video Games (by the company), discount on Panasonic stuff, DVDs and Music, Theme parks, NEC monitors. I play a certain game for free, I get to go to work in casual clothing, all the free pop I can drink, break room has Tron, and see the upcoming projects.

Myshel
02-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Lets see... I own a restaurant so the perks are:

I never have to cook dinner at home or do dishes..
I have a prep cook to do the set up when I'm cooking at the store.
I have a dishwasher to clean up my mess.
The register was $40. over today.
I'll never be hungry or bored at work.

I have a list twice as long for the disadvantages.

Soulpieced
02-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Government discounts at some stores is about it.

Mistomeer
02-20-2005, 04:24 PM
Government discounts at hotels too.

Soulpieced
02-20-2005, 04:26 PM
I haven't really seen many places that advertise Government discounts. Gotta ask, and I just feel stupid.

Hulkein
02-20-2005, 04:53 PM
My last job had a couple of benefits... We were routinely offered beers on the job, and it was under the table.

I'd call learning a trade useful, too.

I guess I'll be doing the same thing this summer unless I try and get an internship.

longshot
02-21-2005, 01:37 PM
I start my new job tomorrow...

I don't think 6:00 A.M. conference calls to China count as a perk.

I do get to use my Japanese though.

CrystalTears
02-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Hanksbane
Um beside all the normal 401k stuff I get mad shwag (or however you spell that) from this company, I get to go to E3, Huge discounts on Video Games (by the company), discount on Panasonic stuff, DVDs and Music, Theme parks, NEC monitors. I play a certain game for free, I get to go to work in casual clothing, all the free pop I can drink, break room has Tron, and see the upcoming projects.

HOOK A WOMAN UP!! *begs*

Parkbandit
02-21-2005, 02:38 PM
401K (50% company match for up to 6%)
Stock Options (Now called Grants thanks to the fucks at Enron)
3 weeks of Personal Time Off per year
Free or deeply discounted hotel rooms all over the world
Tuition Assistance
Affordable insurance (Health, life, dental, vision, STD, LTD, etc...)

Soulpieced
02-21-2005, 02:39 PM
Falgrin has STD insurance.

Bobmuhthol
02-21-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
Falgrin has STD insurance.

lmao
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Bobmuhthol1/gigglegigglesmall.jpg

Soulpieced
02-21-2005, 02:45 PM
*Zing*

Parkbandit
02-21-2005, 02:49 PM
:mad:

AnticorRifling
02-22-2005, 02:34 PM
Computer(s)/part(s)

Edaarin
06-27-2005, 08:52 PM
This just in: 3.5 paid days off starting Wednesday afternoon through July 4th. I heart my internship very much.

Oh, and slightly over $530 for 15 hours of OT last week. w00t.

Atlanteax
06-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Feh, I get 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. That's a cap of 2 weeks every 6 months.

Soulpieced
06-27-2005, 10:39 PM
That picture of Falgrin's STD insurance is priceless.

Edaarin
06-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Give me two years and I'll get 22 days of vacation a year ;)

At 23 years old.

Jack
06-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I got my car for a significantly discounted price. Also, 401k, company matches funds up to 5%, insurance, some sort of discounted stock buying program, but I haven't really looked into it at all. Any of you keep up with the market, and know anything about Group One Automotive? Also, I get to put the first miles on all new vehicles that come into the dealership.

longshot
06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Edaarin
Give me two years and I'll get 22 days of vacation a year ;)

At 23 years old.

You do understand that you will be lucky to use five of those days, right?

There's a reason most people only last three years at one of the "big 4".

Just wait until pledge-term starts...

Edaarin
06-27-2005, 11:11 PM
See, that's what I thought too, except...

...every single associate and senior associate I've met is taking at least 2 weeks of vacation this summer.

My project manager is on vacation from today till next Monday.

There's something called "flexible Fridays," where if you put in 40 hours by the end of Thursday then you're allowed to take Friday off between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

There are 8 set holidays a year, and 2 floating holidays that you're encouraged to use as part of vacation.

The work does pile on, and I have no doubt I'll be there till 2 am some nights. But so far it's looking pretty good.

Out of the blue, they announced they're giving this Thursday and Friday off and making Wednesday a half-day, nationwide.

[Edited on 6-28-2005 by Edaarin]

hectomaner
06-27-2005, 11:19 PM
free webhosting and/or colocation in our data center or in our cage at One Wilshire.

free internet via wireless (if i can hit my place from one of our pops) or dsl

free VoIP service, local, long distance, international, with access to DIDs anywhere in the country, and toll free DIDs

all the CAT 5 i could ever need

random computer components

i CAN drink on the job, i CAN go into the data center and smoke weed on the job (due to our air filtration systems, and filter in the corner of the room that sucks it up just great, and the detectors we can turn off like my boss does)
however i don't drink or smoke weed so it doesnt matter

i can do whatever i want while i'm at work, if i dont have anything to do (most of the time) which usually consists of playing gemstone and wow

i get all the time off i want, i go into work when i want, start time is 9 ISH, and the ish for my boss means noon - 2 usually, so i can go whenever for the most part

paid cell phone

paid weekly

no healthcare/dental though, which sucks

Wezas
06-27-2005, 11:32 PM
4 weeks vacation/year. You can carry over up to 6 weeks to the next year.
8 sick days
Salaried employees can use "Time off with pay" for Dr. Appointments, etc.
Nice Salary
Stock Options (half spent, other half debating)
Stock Purchase Plan (buy stock at 15% off of lowest price in 6 month window)
Hour Lunch (mandatory)
Free VB.NET & ASP.NET classes
New (p)leather Chair with 9 different massage settings, 3 intensities, and heat ability.
Playing UT2004 over the LAN and WoW online most of my day.

hectomaner
06-28-2005, 12:16 AM
i want your chair

Edaarin
06-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Fooooood. In the past 3 weeks I have had to pay for lunch three times.

Getting to try out some of DC's best restaurants on the company dollar, and getting paid for "working lunches."

Sam & Harry's, Kinkead's, The Palm, McCormick & Shmick

Good shit.

06-29-2005, 09:38 PM
The ability to work for 1 1/2 hours and put in 8 hours of work. God, I love the state.

- Arkans

Kefka
06-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Free unlimited metrocard with my picture on it. :P

Soulpieced
06-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Two chicks at once.

Back
06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
What special deals do you get from your work place?

I’m sure getting paid has already been said. Hmm...

Depends on where you work. At the very least a health care program, even if it does not include dental or optical...

Make sure you get your birthday cake!

On the up side, company parties, and bonuses at the end of the year.

Oh, and interns are always a plus. :lol:

But seriously, the best, in our capitalist society is when you can take something from them as they take your labor. Some companies even pay for you to learn. Take advantage of that.

And, on the other side, keep your contacts. Work is a family atmosphere no matter how you look at it.

4a6c1
06-30-2005, 12:53 AM
OMG I HAVE AN UBAR OFFICE WITH A VIEW (of the oily sludge, brown Houston ship channel)

lolzlolzlolzlolz

funnyness

<----amusing myself