PDA

View Full Version : Modesty vs Ego

GSLeloo
02-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Which do you prefer in a person?

I hate when people act all "Yeah I am smarter than everyone in the class, place, etc." I'd rather meet a person, get to know them and realize that they are indeed smart (or funny, sexy, etc whatever) then have to be told it by someone.

But it is equally annoying to have someone who refuses to ever accept a compliment and if they get an A on a test believe it's not good enough.

So which to you is worse and which are you?

Bobmuhthol
02-18-2005, 08:16 PM
I'm the type that won't accept a compliment.

I hate people who think they're smart.

lololol jk. I'm the first type. And dislike the first type when it's not me. The second type.. wtf is the problem? Is it your goal in life to make them feel good?

Killer Kitten
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I find both types annoying, but extreme personalities always rub me the wrong way. I prefer somebody with a good sense of balance, who doesn't need their back patted every time they do something but will graciously accept praise when it is earned.

That's what kind of person I'd like to be. As a very imperfect specimen of human, though, I tend to have traits of both annoying types. Sometimes I'm too quick to think, 'Damn I'm good!' and other times I think I'm awful and nothing can dissuade me. I guess I'm pretty typical.

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 08:36 PM
I prefer HONESTY. And that usually comes out of Ego, even if badly so.

Miss X
02-18-2005, 09:16 PM
I think I am annoyingly like the second type. I never take compliments well, I always sort of try to deny them.

Not a big fan of the ego though, I mean confidence is nice but if it gets out of hand then a slap back down to earth is needed.

peam
02-19-2005, 12:48 AM
I prefer someone with a quiet confidence.

Over-zealous 'intellectuals' usually have a personality flaw, aside from the obvious, that makes them intolerable.

02-19-2005, 01:17 AM
I seriously cannot prefer a person to have an inflated or "deflated?" ego.

The world just works the way it does, thanks to the help of egos on both ends of the spectrum.

Being friends with *just* egomaniacs, or just losers would be dumb and boring.

It is good to be a middleman, and have the personality types around you that you can always relate to.

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by Stanley Burrell]

Kainen
02-19-2005, 03:07 AM
I am inbetween and I find both extremes annoying.

02-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Ego all the way. I like strong personalities.

- Arkans

DeV
02-19-2005, 01:14 PM
A little of both goes a long way.

Myshel
02-19-2005, 01:23 PM
I usually find people who "think" their smart, aren't smart enough to know they don't know everything.

I used to be like the first one, could never take a compliment until one day a friend in exasperation said to me.. (ok yelled at me) "just say thank you dam it"!! So I did, whether I thought I deserved it or not, after awhile I realized I did and do deserve compliments.

Back
02-19-2005, 01:48 PM
I’m a little of both. In general I feel a little more evolved than the average person, yet, I am not quick to take the credit. I’ve had people say “Just shut up and admit you did a good thing/job/whatever.”

My feeling is that while yes I can excell, I prefer to always make things team efforts. Say I design something someone likes. Well, I can give some of the credit to instructors who taught well, or inspiration from some other work, or just from input from my colleagues.

I like all types but prefer people who are more humble than cocky.

Latrinsorm
02-19-2005, 02:07 PM
If I'm in an environment where I know a lot (GS, talking about physics or something) I can be pretty cocky. If I'm not, I'm way, way on the other side.

I don't think I have a preference, so long as people can back up the attitude.

4a6c1
02-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Hehe, now that Latrin mentioned something similar I remember I've been told that when I'm talking about religions/history/something like that I get a little preachy. I suppose thats ego. But I DO know what I'm talking about damnit. :P

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by JihnasSpirit]

Shari
02-19-2005, 06:50 PM
I can tolorate people who never take a compliament. I do find it annoying it will most likely be like Myshel's friend and scream at that person to just say thank you and be happy about it.

Egotistical people make me want to knock their teeth in. While I love confident people, I find egotists are generally braggarts and too busy boosting themselves up for me to bother getting to know.

Hulkein
02-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I usually accept the compliments of people when I'm blowing them out 49-0 in Madden.

Back
02-19-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Hulkein
I usually accept the compliments of people when I'm blowing them

Thanks!

02-19-2005, 08:52 PM
People with an ego are infinately better than some depressed shlep.

- Arkans

Hulkein
02-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Backlash

Originally posted by Hulkein
I usually accept the compliments of people when I'm blowing them

Thanks!

Haha, I got pwnt.

Arshwikk
02-20-2005, 02:10 PM
It's a lot harder to build a person up who lacks confidence then it is to knock an ego maniac down. I consider myself good at both, but I certainly prefer someone with an ego. Working with little kids I feel like it's my duty to convince them they can do anything, and that no one else's opinion is more important then their own, just equally so. Someone needs to produce more wolves, because we have plenty of sheep.

Apathy
02-21-2005, 04:35 PM
I've been told I'm cocky so many times that I must be the first type.

But I swear I am really damn nice. Damn good and damn nice :).

02-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Someone without any cofidence turns into a whiney bitch and always demands you to solve their problems for them. I just want to punch them in the jaw.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
02-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
Someone without any cofidence turns into a whiney bitch and always demands you to solve their problems for them.I've never seen someone with no confidence demand anything. Beg for, sure, but demand? Never.