PDA

View Full Version : Help with stats (8 year old character)

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Well Dunno who here knows me, but I've been in the lands in and out for about 8 years now. Finally starting to really play again and truly enjoy it, but now I'm stuck with my skills (I already set my stats in stone).

If you all could give me a hand, take a look at this, and tell me what you think (Using Runestaff)

Morendeen (at level 37), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 40 8
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 138 39
Magic Item Use.....................| 138 39
Spell Aiming.......................| 178 78
Harness Power......................| 138 39
Spirit Mana Control................| 138 39
Spiritual Lore - Religion..........| 138 39
Climbing...........................| 25 5
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Spell Lists
Major Spirit.......................| 25

Spell Lists
Minor Spirit.......................| 30

Spell Lists
Cleric.............................| 45

I'll go ahead and post my stats too for laughs :)

Strength (STR): 56 (3)
Constitution (CON): 57 (3)
Dexterity (DEX): 62 (16)
Agility (AGI): 72 (16)
Discipline (DIS): 82 (11)
Aura (AUR): 96 (28)
Logic (LOG): 85 (17)
Intuition (INT): 97 (23)
Wisdom (WIS): 99 (24)
Influence (INF): 82 (16)

Converted to Lumnis, so basically a pure undead hunter. If you all see any modifications, or oppinions please let me know :) Looking for some helpful criticism, thanks!

[Edited on 2-18-2005 by Morendeen]

Flurbins
02-18-2005, 01:37 AM
No reason to be a pure undead hunter anymore, no matter who you're converted to.

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 02:56 AM
Eh, well as far as spells, all the stuff in my arsenal is undead only, except for 111 and 110. (Unless 312 and 317 aren't done like smite/bane, if that's the case then nevermind :))

Alarke
02-18-2005, 03:46 AM
312 and 317 aren't undead/living oriented. If you want to go all out for CS (I suggest it) I'd suggest dropping spell aiming and go full 3x in spells, and way overtrain in cleric sphere (60 spells over training) for best outcome. This idea also helps DS a ton.

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Hrmmm, but if I were to do that, I'd lose a ton of magic ranks for runestaff. Should that not matter?

Flurbins
02-18-2005, 01:40 PM
You can do both just fine (over train cleric and get bolts, just not as much overtrain). My cleric at 51 has 50 ranks armor use, 24 physical fitness, 30 climb, 30 swim, 30 perception, 30 AS, 30 MIU, 51 ranks Harness Power, 104 ranks spell aim, 52 SMC, 52 Religion, and spells Maj. SP. 25, Min Sp 30, and cleric 76. Casts at a nice 267 cleric CS, bolts around 311, and will top at 2.8 spells/level, compared to the 2.5 spells/level he's at right now. Giantman COL.

If I did Alarke's plan, I would be casting at 286, so I give up 19 CS which I don't really need to have all that other stuff.

Less lores, less climb/swim, less perception can be thrown into spells, but I just wanted to get all that crap out of the way so I didn't have to worry about it

As for getting hit, I don't really worry about it, I usually channel both hands open offensive and I don't even try to time my shots, since I'm such a tank with that chain.

Just looked at it again, and it looks like you're getting more spells/level than me. Just drop your arcane and MIU to 30 ranks, and train 1x harness, 1x religion, 1x smc, 2x spell aim, and throw everything else into cleric spells and you'll be absolutely fine.

[Edited on 2-18-2005 by Flurbins]

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
How much of armor hinderance do you get with your spells? I thought we could only use double no hinderance?

Flurbins
02-18-2005, 03:16 PM
8% with torso chain. 7% with brig.

Alarke
02-18-2005, 03:36 PM
The 19 CS will be a big deal when you're trying to hunt the tower or OTF before getting cursed or maelstromed. And I would never waste my time casting a weak 11 mana spell when I can have them dead in one cast with my CS.

Flurbins
02-18-2005, 03:57 PM
The 19 CS is at level 51, it gets better as I get older.

Level 76 I'll be 396 my training vs. 404 fully tripled,
level 90 I'll be 463 my training vs. 470 fully tripled.

That's close enough for me to be happy with.

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Hrmmm, still don't see how dropping spell aiming and picking up pure cleric spells will help my DS. If you could gimme a little insight I'd appreciate it.

Also, how many ranks do I need for armor, and what type of armor is the best type for the least hinderance. So far I'm assuming Brig? Don't know too much about the armor types, I've always used double.

Myitkyina
02-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Alarke, you're becoming predictable. Not every cleric in the lands needs to have the exact same training plan as you. The plan Flurbins is suggesting looks pretty good to me. The plan I use is a little different (though not necessarily better). I stopped with double leathers and 30 ranks of SMC. I have 2x spell aim (and love it!) and my lores are a little more well-rounded (not just religion, though mostly that). I more than 1x harness power, lores, AS and MIU. I have 40 ranks of 100s, 25 ranks of 200s and about 20 extra ranks (over level) of 300s at 63 trains.

As far as advice for Morendeen for armor, I'm constantly criticized for stopping at doubles (but I really hate hinderance and love my very highly enchanted altered doubles), but Flurbins is going a bit far, in my opinion. If I were you (and didn't have really pretty highly enchanted doubles), I'd split the difference and get brig (35 ranks I believe).

The three of us have been going round and round about this every other week or so for some new cleric asking for advice, so you might just search the forums for those old debates to get other ideas.

Alarke
02-18-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Myitkyina
Alarke, you're becoming predictable. Not every cleric in the lands needs to have the exact same training plan as you.
I'm not predictable, im consistant. When a cleric asks for an opinion on what should be done, I will tell them MY opinion, just as you are telling them yours. I don't care if every cleric in the lands is trained like me, but IMHO, in the years ive been here this has worked better than anything else. If you dont like my opinion, post yours as you are, but don't call my consistancy predictability.

Sean
02-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Alarke
The 19 CS will be a big deal when you're trying to hunt the tower or OTF before getting cursed or maelstromed. And I would never waste my time casting a weak 11 mana spell when I can have them dead in one cast with my CS.

Only if hes really overhunting.

Alarke
02-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Morendeen
Hrmmm, still don't see how dropping spell aiming and picking up pure cleric spells will help my DS. If you could gimme a little insight I'd appreciate it.

Also, how many ranks do I need for armor, and what type of armor is the best type for the least hinderance. So far I'm assuming Brig? Don't know too much about the armor types, I've always used double.
For every 2 ranks of MnS you gain 1 DS from 120 and 102. For every 3 MjS you gain 1 DS from 202. For every cleric spell up to training you gain +1 DS from 313.

As far as the armor types, 8 for doubles (no hinderance) 35 for brig (7/7/6 hinderance) and 50 for chain (8/8/7 hinderance). At the risk of sounding "predictable" I highly suggest torso chain. After wearing doubles and finally being convinced to going to brig, it was a huge help. I just went to torso a month ago and would never change back.

Sean
02-18-2005, 04:47 PM

For every 2 ranks of MnS you gain 1 DS from 120 and 102. For every 3 MjS you gain 1 DS from 202. For every cleric spell up to training you gain +1 DS from 313.

The bonus for 313 is also capped at spell rank = level just like every other DS spell. Training drasitcally over in your 300s doesn't yield additional DS.

As far as the armor types, 8 for doubles (no hinderance) 35 for brig (7/7/6 hinderance) and 50 for chain (8/8/7 hinderance). At the risk of sounding "predictable" I highly suggest torso chain. After wearing doubles and finally being convinced to going to brig, it was a huge help. I just went to torso a month ago and would never change back.

My personal opinion is stopping at doubles. Unless your overtraining for CvA that you get from brig vs double or chain vs double. DS or getting hit isn't a real issue once you get older.

Alarke
02-18-2005, 06:03 PM
I did mention 313 was only up to training... also CvA is a major reason I love my chain. It has -6 CvA as opposed to +2 for brig... so the taints casting at 370 in the ducts dont hit me much anymore.

Sean
02-18-2005, 06:21 PM
I did mention 313 was only up to training... also CvA is a major reason I love my chain. It has -6 CvA as opposed to +2 for brig... so the taints casting at 370 in the ducts dont hit me much anymore.

Sorry scanning through this thread I couldn't find any referencing you to pointing out that spell ds bonus is capped at level so I clarified. But its sort of a moot point now. But I have a question for you ... how many levels are you uphunting? 6 levels or so?

Morendeen
02-18-2005, 07:35 PM
At the moment I'm not hunting crap. Mothing about that I can find at 37 that is worthwhile. I tried hunting skeletal lords, they disarm like crazy to me. Can do Miners, but they seem to get lucky and soon as I start cycling through the macros, and go offensive to cast my bolt, they hit me,.. happened 2 times this week (Pretty pissed off)

Outside of that, don't really know whats out there nowadays, any suggestions would be nice :)

Alarke
02-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Forest trali in illistim are great around there, they're 44... but you're undead... so.. baesrukahs, greater moor wights and vourkha are great in illistim and around 39-42.

Flurbins
02-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Gotta second Alarke on that hunting area. If you go to the undead area he mentioned, it's a nice area to actually use 319.

You'll need to beef up your climbing a bit though, it's tricky to get in there, and you can't ring in (but you can ring out).

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by Flurbins]

Alarke
02-18-2005, 11:13 PM
There's also night mares in the landing if you dont wanna leave at 43... but anything above 35 and before 50 i would suggest illistim for undead.. then take wind wraiths on teras.

Meril
02-19-2005, 12:36 AM
River's Rest has a fair mix of undead and living in that level range. Could also try Lesser Vruul in the Broken lands.

If you are going to overspend on spells at the expense of other magical skills, you might try training shield and brawling instead of using a runestaff.

Ryenn
02-20-2005, 07:51 PM
Morendeen your training looks fine.