PDA

View Full Version : Anfelt and Alterers

Revalos
05-27-2003, 02:49 AM
Well, I figured this topic needed a post to make it worthwile, so I humbly submit this post regarding alterers at Anfelt this past weekend.

Now, let me preface this by saying that I do not consider myself a merchant hunter. I don't sell alters, actually...I haven't sold anything in a year or so except for a bag of pure gemstones.

So...here is what I got done at the Anfelt with the approximate wait time from when I entered the room with the alterer until I got the alteration.

Amulet holder - Melli - Room order - Wait time 1:00
Pebin Scripts - Pebin - Spinner - Wait time 0:20
Message Worm Alter - Loli - Room order - wait time 0:30
Pauldron - Snakestone - Spinner - Wait time 0:20
Shield Harness - Hanist - Morphing List - Wait time 0:30
Warblade alter - Dawns - Room order - Wait time 1:30
Compass case - Melli - Cave/Burrow game - Wait time 1:00
Kaskara alter - Ungarn - Traditional List - Wait time 1:00

So, eight merchant services. I was pretty proud of myself. I didn't win a raffle or get an ultra powerful item, but I did get quite a lot of good work done.

But when I read the boards I see a lot of people complaining about how few merchants there were or how the same people kept getting picked by spinners.

I never felt as if I was taking someone else's place in my merchant work, it always seemed that folks new the risks going in and accepted what the results were.

I was completely shocked at getting on two lists. I have no joining scripts and a 56k modem, yet managed to join a morphing list of 20(Using the "pick one list noun and slam the enter key on it" method) and one traditional list of 5 (with only one keystroke).

The spinners were both lucky. Pebin and Snakestone's rooms were full of folks.

The game was also luck. I went cave 5 times in a row.

The room orders were fairly normal. Loli only had about 10 folks, Melli had a ton, but she's really fast, and Dawns was about 50 folks. Each one of these was announced either with IG messaging or on the Amunet, usually by yours truly.

I had a great time...this was the most alter work I've ever got done in one event. I'd pay 45$ all over again even without the raffles.

So anyway...was my experience unusual for the average player? Did a lot of you get a lot of work or did you find it lacking in the alteration department? If I happened to stumble onto a method for getting alterers I'll share any crazy antics I did if need be too. :)

Ilvane
05-27-2003, 07:23 AM
You know what I wish? That we could have as many opportunities for alterers in the game for free(or should I say..monthly membership.)

I think it's great that you got so many alters Revalos, that's awesome, though.:)

--A

Revalos
05-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Heh...let me also mention that I'm a subscriber to the lowly unwashed masses of Basic because I never saw any real advantage to Premium, especially on the merchant front(Other than bigger lockers...boy could I use them).

Free merchants are very nice, and more fun than $$$ festival ones IMHO. I've had quite a few experiences with them and acquiring their services through a variety of ways - Stumbling upon them, going to local, small festivals and seeing them, or getting their services as a reward for IG deeds.

I tend to agree that there should be more free alterers. Personally, I feel like RP awards should be a kind of raffle system where each award you get puts another ticket into a monthly raffle for special auction quality items or services. I think if that was the case, we'd see a lot more RP and probably a lot more free merchants too.

AnticorRifling
05-27-2003, 12:32 PM
Gotta say that I am jealous of the work you got done. I was planning on going to Anflet then one of my friends said one little phrase that changed my mind;

"Black Bike Week at Myrtle Beach"

Well now that I'm back from a long weekend of heavy drinking, sunburning, party'n and basically having a blast at the expense of sleep and my liver I can say that I'll get over missing them alters (although I had a few in mind that I really wanted)

Ohh yeah you would be suprised how much fun it is to be the only white boy cruisin the strip during black bike week. Group of girls on some nice crotch rockets cruised by and every guy was tryin to get a ride... All I had to say was " You know one of you needs a token white boy on one of them bikes." Ended up cruisin the strip on the back of that bike all night it was a riot.

But I've strayed from topic.... congrats on the alters, glad it was quick for you.

Makkah
05-27-2003, 01:34 PM
What I'd love to know is the winners of all the Grand Raffles and the statistics of the items they won... especially that korseke\awl-pike.

rht

Revalos
05-27-2003, 03:04 PM
I think someone was collecting information on the Grand Raffle items. There were some very nice things there to be sure. Here's some of the basic info I know on some of them:

The tubes are rechargable wands with different crits.

The shell armors create a personal sanctuary from attack.

The wrist guards and glove were 1x DB items.

Elemental bows rock the house...heh.

That's about all I know.

Kisteira
05-28-2003, 08:52 AM
This was my first pay event like this and having spent the weekend there, I can totally understand why people pay to go to these things. It was exciting and fun and I got five alterations done, including a feature alteration. I got on another list but thought it was for something it wasn't so I declined the work.

I met some folks while we sat around and had some funny interactions.

I also spent sometime losing money at Dragon Bones.

As for more free events, with "the world" as big as it is, I can imagine it'd be hard giving a chance to more people through merchant visits or what not. I did manage to catch Sukara in her tent one night.

I am also a basic subscriber. I think using more merchants and alterations to get people to pay more money for the game is a very legitimate business practice... since they have the playing tiers set up the way they do. You pay more... you get more. Frankly that "get more" isn't worth the extra ... what is it? $20 a month? to me. Besides, paying $45 in one shot sure is cheaper than paying $30 (I still have no idea how much premium subscription costs) every month for however long.

Will I attend the next event? More than likely :) It was fun.

Alerr
05-28-2003, 11:43 AM
Taylir won a +2 DB helm that is heavily scripted. One of the scripts even stuns you. I forget the actual description of it, but I know she won it.

-Alerr

Warriorbird
05-30-2003, 10:59 PM
You can do pretty well with just a basic account. You just have to be DEVOTED to the merchanting experience. Pay events are a great way to get alters. Premium is over rated, except for in the extra locker space (reason I pay)

Neildo
06-07-2003, 03:03 AM
Does anyone happen to recall the full description of those DB wristguards?

- N