PDA

View Full Version : Shield or Runestaff?

Shari
02-17-2005, 02:15 AM
So I have a wizard. I want her to be a pure caster, no use of weapons at all. Would it be wiser for me to go shield/brawl, or runestaff?

I mean is it worth the TPs I'm going to use to dump into the shield combo in order to have decent DS? Or will I survive just as well with the runestaff while having those TPs to dump into more important things, like spells?

If it matters, she's an elf.

Stunseed
02-17-2005, 06:46 AM
My elven wizard uses a shield. I've never had an issue with getting hit, since he was like 18.

Brattt8525
02-17-2005, 07:34 AM
Only real issue I see between a staff and shield/weapon is when you get disarmed, if you go shield/weapon at least you have the shield. I may be wrong, and will be corrected.

Valthissa
02-17-2005, 08:31 AM
I think a lot depends on how far you plan on taking her and what quality equipment you have for her. If you can hand her a 10X shield when she's 25, by all means train in shield and enjoy the DS you will have as a result. If you're not planning on taking her to a very high level, use a runestaff, they are certainly viable.

I think that, from a mechanics standpoint, a shield using wizard heavily tripled in spells and no lore training is currently best. They're working on improving lores to make them worth training in (and I think they have actualy done fairly well in this regard) but at the present time they're still a little underpowered.

C/Valth

02-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Arkans forever will be a shield and sword using sorcerer. It saved his ass countless of times. Then again, he's a lot higher level than you.

I think Syberus came on this board and was pissing and moaning that staves sucked at his level, so that turned me away real fast.

- Arkans

Fallen
02-17-2005, 12:16 PM
Its all about tertiary skills. Runestaff users have nearly all of their magical skills high - maxed. However, most people seldom make use of such skills.

Shield/Brawling gives you raw defensive power, as well as a free hand for channeling and picking up items. The DS difference while in stance offensive is staggering. Its a hunter's skillset, for sure. I love it, and have been using it for several years. Unless they nerf the hell out of the style, I would never change.

P.S.

Fuck Runetwigs!

[Edited on 2-17-2005 by Fallen]

AnticorRifling
02-17-2005, 01:09 PM
Anything but runestaves.

Kitsun
02-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Actually before I stopped playing what I did was train for runestaves but carry a shield.

My offensive DS is higher with a shield because runestaves only add defense in more defensive stances.

If you're running around just doing prep/cast and have little worry about fending off attacks then tote a shield. If you have to worry about getting ripped up and need to dance, then carry your runestaff!

Jonty
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Brattt8525
Only real issue I see between a staff and shield/weapon is when you get disarmed, if you go shield/weapon at least you have the shield. I may be wrong, and will be corrected.

She said she was thinkg about shield/brawl. Therefore, she doesn't have to worry about being disarmed at all(or weaponfired, etc....)

[Edited on 2-17-2005 by Jonty]

StrayRogue
02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Shield, though runestaves will save you a hell of a lot more points and give you more magic skills which can't usually be bad.

Jolena
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
I have both actually. I have a sylvan wizard who is pure runestaff user and she does very well, also I love the extra tp's. I also have another one who uses shield/sword for DS purposes only. She just .5's it to provide parry bonus and extra DS and she's still able to go over 2x in spells from time to time as well as do most of the magical ranks that she would need to carry a runestaff.

I've been told that pure is great until you are 40'sh but after that you'd be better off having a shield/sword or shield/brawl for DS only. :shrug:

DeV
02-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Arkans
I think Syberus came on this board and was pissing and moaning that staves sucked at his level, so that turned me away real fast.

- Arkans I must have missed that post or else I would have made better use of my fixskills. I use a runestaff but would love to go back to shield/brawl. Though the level 40+ Wizard I hunt with uses a runestaff and she kicked ass and was more defensively stronger than my Sorc at the same level.

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
<<Only real issue I see between a staff and shield/weapon is when you get disarmed, if you go shield/weapon at least you have the shield. I may be wrong, and will be corrected.>>

Sunder shield makes that advantage dissipate rather quickly.

StrayRogue
02-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by DeV

- Arkans Though the level 40+ Wizard I hunt with uses a runestaff and she kicked ass and was more defensively stronger than my Sorc at the same level.

Wait a while. Theres a reason why JD has a DS in the 700's, and it isn't because he uses Runestaves. Same goes for my cleric which I shall be fixskilling to sword/board when I get the chance.

StrayRogue
02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
<<Only real issue I see between a staff and shield/weapon is when you get disarmed, if you go shield/weapon at least you have the shield. I may be wrong, and will be corrected.>>

Sunder shield makes that advantage dissipate rather quickly.

Lots critters use sunder shield too :rolleyes:

Bobmuhthol
02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Lots critters use disarm too :rolleyes:

DeV
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue

Originally posted by DeV

- Arkans Though the level 40+ Wizard I hunt with uses a runestaff and she kicked ass and was more defensively stronger than my Sorc at the same level.

Wait a while. Theres a reason why JD has a DS in the 700's, and it isn't because he uses Runestaves. Same goes for my cleric which I shall be fixskilling to sword/board when I get the chance. I'm waiting for the next fixskills option to make the necessary changes. Shield/Brawling next chance I get.

Yeah, not only do I go with shields, but weapons as well. The extra added DS from the sword is great. Not only that, but I 1x both. None of this half-ass .5x in shield. I'll take all the DS I can get, expecially with FoF in invasions.

- Arkans

StrayRogue
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Lots critters use disarm too :rolleyes:

Come play in OTF.

TheRoseLady
02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
My wizard is like 59 or so and she uses a runestaff. I haven't crunched the numbers seriously on the shield side, I just knew that when runestaves became an option - I would go that direction. She's a pure wizard and she's how I envision her. She does just fine with it.

YMMV