PDA

View Full Version : Duskruin Bags of Holding

Zarston
07-05-2018, 11:46 PM
Has anyone figured out a valid use for these yet? Every idea I originally had for them has failed due to the stacking mechanics. I'll list my failed endeavors below.

Usable cores from the Confluence have different values and therefore don't stack.
Charged magic items (even when they have the same number of charges), also seem to have variable values and result in them not stacking.
I even attempted stacking magic items I bought from a merchant who charged up imbeds during Ebon Gate. These items all look and cost the same, and he filled them to 20 charges a piece. They would not stack.

One use I could possibly think of is straight store bought magic items (like those spell crystals for magic item use jewelry), but I didn't have any of those to test. And it's also something I don't need in general.

neimanz1
07-05-2018, 11:57 PM
i thought about using them for arrows & throwing weapons not sure if it actually works

rolfard
07-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Maybe cobbling? Foraging? Forging? Skins (value ranges so probably no?), so many restrictions bc its not a "true" weightless container valued over 100m....

Hurling non ebladed/non blessed weapons probably best bet. Anyone using one of these want to chime in what for?

Maerit
07-06-2018, 10:15 AM
weightless arrow bundle container? I think most people said it was the ultimate alchemist satchel.

Mr. Dallas
07-06-2018, 11:26 AM
I was thinking throwing also - vials, etc.

Zarston
07-06-2018, 11:40 AM
Using these for hurling/arrows doesn't make sense since we have warrior sheaths to work with. I'm almost positive alchemy ingredients are going to fail since they don't have uniform prices.

Archigeek
07-06-2018, 01:00 PM
I would think that basically anything that can stack in a player shop should stack in one of these.

Zarston
07-06-2018, 07:15 PM
I did some additional testing. The results were poor.

5 golden buttercups from the same room resulted in two different stacks.
5 acantha leaves from the same room resulted in one stacks.
The same leaves stacked into different bundle sizes resulted in multiple stacks.
A bundle of wooden arrows were "too complex to be stored in the sack"

The two main criteria for stacking appear to be number of items in the bundle and value, but there appears to be additional bullshit at work. Usable herbs all seem to have a uniform value no matter how many are in the stack according to my loresongs. The thing that made me put down this testing project in disgust is that the wands I pulled out of my sack to loresing to ascertain their value would no longer stack together when they they HAD been stacking together previously. Is it a roll of the dice? Did I activate some quantum mechanic by getting a solid value out of the wands? I don't know. I hope someone can prove that these things are better than I'm perceiving them to be.

Pereus
07-11-2018, 11:23 AM
So glad I skipped this latest gimmick. Same old tricks.

gilchristr
07-12-2018, 12:40 AM
Bag of holding sounds way to epic for the fiddily implementation for this thing.

The name ought to have been for something like a 200 pound capacity beltworn with 50% weight reduction, with no restriction on what you put in it. Should not be a niche item for use in corner cases; with a name like that it ought to be useful to anyone. The implementation they went with seems more like bag of restriction, than bag of holding.

nocturnix
07-13-2018, 02:21 PM
Why don’t they just make stacking based on item name and some kind of item type meta field (potion, weapon, etc). Seems that would be an easy usefulness fix/improvement.

The fact that value and charges seem to be considered smells more like bad implementation rather than intentional. I could understand stack size matching though otherwise people could game the mechanic too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hymore246
07-13-2018, 05:44 PM
A bundle of wooden arrows were "too complex to be stored in the sack"

I got to admit, this is really funny. Mechanically, I'm not sure why ammo would be too complicated to put in the sack. Is an item that has multiple sub-items is too much? My best guess is that they just don't want the bag to be used as a quiver at all. If arrows worked, a full power bag of holding could hold 100 unique stacks of 100 arrows. You could literally carry a 10,00 arrows weightlessly. Oh well. But as someone else already said, we still got warrior sheaths for arrows.

Oh and they are clearly cashing in on the fame of DnD's bag of holding. It's easily one universally useful items you could find during a game. Shame this things doesn't live up to it's name.

Roblar
07-13-2018, 05:48 PM
Things are getting added:

You can now store both 1) bag of holding expanders, and 2) Duskruin Bag of Holding collectible pieces inside the Bag of Holding. I also made a minor update to a specific situation that may or may not affect an item that was previously blocked. However...

If you find items that will not stack inside the bag, please post them on this thread. Let me know 1) what the item is, 2) where you received the item, and 3) the error message you receive when you try to place the item inside the bag. (Side note: I am aware of the gem-stacking issue; for now, the gem jars are the best option for gem storage.)

Just like the L/D notes, the restrictions are wide until I can evaluate whether or not allowing them will break something. And if not, I can add exclusions to allow them.

~ Haliste ~
SGM, Events
Auntie H, Forever

Greng
07-17-2018, 08:30 AM
I know this is a bit off the main topic, but perhaps someone could explain the warrior sheaths for arrows benefit?

Thanks.

nocturnix
07-17-2018, 08:58 AM
Things are getting added:

Nice!! Link to that thread?

peam
07-17-2018, 09:19 AM
Nice!! Link to that thread?

http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Paid%20Events:%20Adventures,%20Quests,%20and%20Sim uCoins/Duskruin%20Arena/view?beginning_post_id=9122&ending_post_id=9692&override_display_of_posts=true&page=11#

drauz
07-17-2018, 09:24 AM
I know this is a bit off the main topic, but perhaps someone could explain the warrior sheaths for arrows benefit?

Thanks.

https://gswiki.play.net/Sheath_making

Arrows are considered weapons, and thus warrior-made quivers reduce the weight of arrows. Because of the way Gemstone calculates weight, for maximal weight reduction, arrows should be bundled into packs of 24.

Greng
07-17-2018, 10:23 AM
https://gswiki.play.net/Sheath_makingThanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Methais
07-17-2018, 11:03 AM
Why don’t they just make stacking based on item name and some kind of item type meta field (potion, weapon, etc). Seems that would be an easy usefulness fix/improvement.

The fact that value and charges seem to be considered smells more like bad implementation rather than intentional. I could understand stack size matching though otherwise people could game the mechanic too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They probably did it on purpose, citing omgrealism. For a bag with weigh reducing properties. Because those are realistic. #SimuLogic

Avaia
07-17-2018, 11:22 AM
They probably did it on purpose, citing omgrealism.

One of the trends over the years that I have really disliked. My character spent half an hour last night fighting intelligent lizard creatures and sentient water beings, who really cares if she can put a shield in her boots?

Methais
07-17-2018, 11:28 AM
One of the trends over the years that I have really disliked. My character spent half an hour last night fighting intelligent lizard creatures and sentient water beings, who really cares if she can put a shield in her boots?

It's not quite as bad as it was in the Warden days, but it's still at extremely retarded levels. Makes about as much sense as saying GS has a family friendly atmosphere when you're brutally murdering all sorts of stuff with explicitly gory details, summoning demons via dark rituals, IC racism all over the place, etc. Just make sure you don't swear because that could be bad for the kids, especially considering maybe 1% of the player base at best is under 18, and it's probably closer to 0.000001%.