PDA

View Full Version : DEBATE - Aelotoi and the variances of wing types (a log)

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Debate. Just now....

I've always viewed Angelynna as having these wings way up on the top of her back. Obviously, not everyone thinks that way.

How do all of you picture your little bugs? Has it been written where/if there is a certain type of wing how they certainly MUST look?

It came up in the below conversation. I believe she thought it concerned a dress. I was more focused on the wing issue becuase this is not the first time I have had to defend my stance on it.

If there is already Documentation on this, somebody PWN me plz.

```````````````````````````

You concentrate while murmuring the simple, mystical chant for Limb Scar Repair...
Your spell is ready.
>cast angel
You gesture.
That tingles, but there are no limb scars to repair.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>
Lavande giggles.
>
Lavande whispers, "You should change that gown to have a low back..."

You quietly whisper to Lavande, "Contrarily, I believe I am lucky my grandmother passed on her high-set wings."
>wink lav
You wink at Lavande.
>
Lavande whispers, "Yes but a high waisted gown usually has a back... which would cover the wings."

>ponder my gown
You gaze thoughtfully at the pale silk gown.
>
You quietly whisper to Lavande, "It looks to me that my gown does not cover my wings, as my wings are set too high to be covered by a high waist."
>smile lav
You smile at Lavande.
>
A bit of fragrant dust falls from some pale blue rainforest incense as it burns.
>l lav
You see Lavande.
She appears to be a Half-Sylvan.
She appears to be very young and short. She has thick-lashed violet eyes and ivory skin. She has waist length, curly blue-black hair worn in elaborate braids. She has a delicate face, a classical nose and slightly pointed ears.
She has a series of tiny golden rings set along the slender tips of her pointed ears.
She is in good shape.
She is wearing a soft lavender kerchief, some gold filigree earrings, a gold samite minstrel's cloak, an amethyst-set gold filigree amulet, a fitted lavender silk bodice, a low-cut ivory silk peasant blouse, a delicate gold mesh handflower, a four-stranded polished ora bangle, a low-slung thin golden chain-link belt, a patterned lavender silk wrap-skirt, some delicate ivory silk stockings, a pair of lavender dance slippers, a white doeskin gem pouch, an amethyst-set gold filigree kit, an ivory suede instrument case with a golden harp clasp, a pale golden leather pack, a lavender viper skin harness, and some lavender double leather.
>
A white cheetah purrs quietly in her sleep!
>
Lavande whispers, "High waisted is empire style from the regency period. Instead of the gown being fitted to the waist, it is fitted down to just below the breasts and flows from there. And has a back. But it's your gown, after all."
>
Some pale blue incense emits a tendril of rainforest-scented smoke, which forms a lacy pattern in the air before fading away.
>
Luathaich makes a quick gesture while calling upon the powers of the elements...
>
Luathaich gestures.
Luathaich appears to be keenly aware of his surroundings.
>
Some pale blue incense emits a tendril of rainforest-scented smoke, which forms a lacy pattern in the air before fading away.
>
Luathaich loses some awareness.
>
A white cheetah purrs quietly in her sleep!

You quietly whisper to Lavande, "OOC: I am quite aware of what an empire style is, but thank you for the reminder. I had always imagined my character with high set wings. Its not a matter of the dress, its a matter of character style, hmmm?"
>
Lavande whispers, "Yes, it's your char and your gown. But a high waisted gown generally has fabric across the whole back up to just below the neck. Was just a suggestion. My Aelotoi has a bodice and chemise that each have a plunging back."
>
Lavande shrugs.

You quietly whisper to Lavande, "I understand we all have our opinions, but high-wasted with a low dip back and and frilly things falling from the side that seem kinda sheer just looks, well....ridiculous. Not all empire-wasted have a high back. I should know, my wedding dress was an empire-waste, and it also had a plunging back. ;) I love the plunging chemises. I have several as well."

You grin at Lavande.
>
Lavande whispers, "It's just when the clothing doesn't show a low back in the description, I think it looks a bit silly with wings."
>
You quietly whisper to Lavande, "Well your entitled to your opinion. I think its presumptious to assume things about another characters extremities. Especially something as personal and varied as wings."

>wink lav

````````````````

:)

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Ahh, shit. I forgot to post the gown......a high-waisted pale silk gown with a front-split overskirt of sheer wispy gossamer.

If she would have had her way it would have been a high-waisted pale silk gown with a front-split overskirt of sheer wispy gossamer and a crazily superduper low scooping back.

???

Artha
02-18-2005, 06:45 PM
I always pictured them coming out of the shoulder blades.

Kainen
02-18-2005, 06:48 PM
Yeah I do too, but that doesn't mean they couldn't be higher.. or a little lower. I would imagine like all physical traits it has to do with genetics.

Latrinsorm
02-18-2005, 07:52 PM
While never having thought too hard about it, I think I pictured them coming out of the bottom of the ribcage, in the back. Artha's idea seems to make more sense, though.

They're so doggone cute, why bother worrying about where their wings are? Just imagine slits in the back of the offending garment if it's so much trouble. :hippie:

Warriorbird
02-18-2005, 08:06 PM
I picture them being varied, like bugs or faeries. With that said, characters with Angel and or consonants repeated solely to get a name in their name aren't real, so it's a moot point.

:whistles:

Divinity
02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
This coming from a chick that can't even put her items in order.

You see Lavande.
She appears to be a Half-Sylvan.
She appears to be very young and short. She has thick-lashed violet eyes and ivory skin. She has waist length, curly blue-black hair worn in elaborate braids. She has a delicate face, a classical nose and slightly pointed ears.
She has a series of tiny golden rings set along the slender tips of her pointed ears.
She is in good shape.
She is wearing a soft lavender kerchief, some gold filigree earrings, a gold samite minstrel's cloak, an amethyst-set gold filigree amulet, a fitted lavender silk bodice, a low-cut ivory silk peasant blouse, a delicate gold mesh handflower, a four-stranded polished ora bangle, a low-slung thin golden chain-link belt, a patterned lavender silk wrap-skirt, some delicate ivory silk stockings, a pair of lavender dance slippers, a white doeskin gem pouch, an amethyst-set gold filigree kit, an ivory suede instrument case with a golden harp clasp, a pale golden leather pack, a lavender viper skin harness, and some lavender double leather.

For the love of god, fix it!

Latrinsorm
02-18-2005, 08:10 PM
It looks kinda like she made an effort, then forgot a bunch of items and just slammed them on in the end. Or maybe those last few are part of her hunting requirements and she decided not to change out of her town attire.

This is the way to do things: She is wearing a white lily, some tiny silver bell earrings, a white cloak, a dark green front-laced bodice, a golden crystal-inset ring, a sea-foam satin split skirt and a delicate silver-clasped handbag.

Divinity
02-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Unless she somehow has the lily pinned on her bodice and it's not in her hair. Either way, I find it ironic that she's giving someone fashion advice when she looks like crap.

Some Rogue
02-18-2005, 08:27 PM
And I find it tremendously anal that everything has to be in perfect order or someone will think you're wearing your boots on your head :rolleyes:

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 08:34 PM
:)

Vesi
02-18-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Some Rogue
And I find it tremendously anal that everything has to be in perfect order or someone will think you're wearing your boots on your head :rolleyes:

Oh... come on... let me put you in order!<grin>

From play.net on Aelotoi:

The wings fold against the back, and are diaphanous, insect-like, and can have varying shades of golds to silvers, greens, blues and browns. It is often easy to tell how an Aelotoi is feeling based on the position of his or her wings.

From the pictures it looks like the wings probably start around the shoulder blade, but it's kind of hard to tell. They appear to be in the down position in the picture. That's sort of how I've pictured them... coming out of that area. I think your dress would be ok. Who's to say there aren't slits in the back even if they are in a different place? I mean, if you can go hunting in a silk skirt and dance slippers, I'd be the last person whispering to someone about the location of their wings not being possible with their clothes. (maybe she dances them to death)

Vesi

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Yeah, she dosnt hunt, I just roleplay with her. BADLY I GUESS BECAUSE MY NAME HAS TWO NN's. :nutty:

Vesi
02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
Yeah, she dosnt hunt, I just roleplay with her. BADLY I GUESS BECAUSE MY NAME HAS TWO NN's. :nutty:

Ok... then I take back my skirt and slipper comment. I can see skirts to a point and slippers even... just not dancing slippers. (hunting I mean)

Vesi

4a6c1
02-18-2005, 09:58 PM

Vesi
02-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by JihnasSpirit
errr...When I said she I ment Angelynna, my character. DAMNIT. Vesi confused me.

:club:

I never confuse anyone but myself!<grin>

Then my dancing slipper and skirt comments do stand. (and she's not in order either!)

Obssesive Vesi

Shari
02-19-2005, 09:23 AM
You know, typically I'd agree with Some Rogue. But honestly, don't start to give fashion advice if you don't follow the "fashion rules" of the game.

She was obviously very stuck up about the whole situation. And an empire waist is capable of having a low-scooping back where the wings would be sticking right out of the top by the shoulder blades. It doesn't have to be completely backless, only low-dipping. And its not like the gown said...a high-backed high-waisted gossamer blah blah blah gown".

Tell her to get the fuck over it and mind her own business. Or put her shit in the correct order first before giving out orders of what someone should wear.

YancyDC
02-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I don't mean to derail, but how the hell do you get your clothes in order anyway? I figured it was just take everything off, and put it on from bottom to top, but it never quite works. This was the first thing I ever saw people bitching about when I came to PC, and I always forgot to ask.

And so my post has some merit, I always pictured the wings coming out of the top. If I talked to a bug about their wings, I sure as hell wouldn't try to impose my views.

[Edited on 2-19-2005 by YancyDC]

Stunseed
02-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I make a script for my characters to strip and clothe. It begins at the shoes and works up, then simply log in again and it flips itself, leaving you from head to toe in order. Inspired by having better taste, it works really great for enchanters to get buck ass nekkid before a cast, too!

Latrinsorm
02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
If you simply remove an item and wear it again, it stays in the same place. This is good, because you can sell stuff at the gemshop or furrier without having to completely redo your outfit. You have to put the item in something (lockers are good for this) to get it to "reset". :)

Fallen
02-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Ugh, I respect people that do this but simply do not have the patience.