PDA

View Full Version : Solhaven and the Griffin Quest.

Ilvane
02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I'm not one to usually complain about the story lines because I really appreciate them most of the time, but this one is just dragging on for way too long.

I tried to get involved a long while back as Ilvane and it didn't work out so well..also tried to get my dark side character involved to no avail.

I hear such wonderous talk of how RP is great in Solhaven and wonderful quests, and stories..but I've been ignored and annoyed enough to realize that it's not really the case 98% of the time.

There are always good people, but I think perhaps I have met many, many of those who feel they are entitled to the story instead of just being willing to let others in.

That is sad, and that is what is an annoyance to me.

-A

Fallen
02-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow, I feel the complete opposite. I have only recently withdrawn from the events, and I am now completely out of the loop. In the last week so much has happened that it has put the last 6 months to shame.

GSS is drawing to a close, and it will be a momentous conclusion.

For any who didn't know, Solhaven was recently set ablaze. Most of its shops are closed, and many of the town NPCs were killed.

I could go on and on. I am very sorry you are not enjoying the storyline. It is one of the better I have seen in my years of playing.

Mistomeer
02-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I agree, it's difficult to get involved, keep up, etc.
If I didn't know people that are obsessed with it, I'd be completely lost, as it is, I'm only mostly lost as far as keeping up with it goes.

Makkah
02-04-2005, 12:04 AM
Not a HUGE fan of the story... but the dead babies attacking is cool.

SpunGirl
02-04-2005, 12:31 AM
I was really into it when it was in Solhaven the FIRST time and they destroyed everything, followed it to the EN, et cetera. IMO, it hasn't moved quickly enough to keep people interested, but I think it's cool that people like Fallen have been able to jump in and get something out of it along the way.

-K

Asha
02-04-2005, 01:17 AM
I found the invasions in Haven a real bastard.
The critters were excellent fun. Even my character had a chance to murder many of them and did.
Althought the whole ''Oleani'ites super exclusive mega Solhaven club'' fucking ruined it.
If you're not into the ''spring bitch'' you dont get raised till her minions are. Don't get healed till her minions are healed , dragged and guarded . . whatever.
I personally find everything about the Oleani <3 clique sickening.
I don't know why they piss me off so bad.
But . . being a ''luv slut'' worshipper myself ( my character , ahem ) I managed to use it to my advantage and murder anything that crossed my path.

Fun , but the big RP kingz who totally look down on you force me to refrain.

Even T'allistim is more acceptable towards 'outside' RP . . .
If you can overlook the ''OOOh lookie a Dhe'nar. Lets test his TD''

Galleazzo
02-04-2005, 04:07 AM
Faulting guys for seein' to their buds first and strangers second? Hell I would raise my own first too.

Ilvane
02-04-2005, 05:36 AM
I'll just say that as a rule I haven't had trouble getting involved in RP and in quests, ever. It was a wake up call as another character though.

I just can imagine how new players feel though, when someone ignores the RP overtures because they are not a character that someone knows. Sure sometimes they do, but it was so frustrating in my experience.

-A

Eiderfleur
02-04-2005, 08:03 AM
That really makes me sad.... I know many people claim GS is not a role playing game, however I, personally do play it as such and Eiderfleur is more than happy to meet new people and check them out in her usual way.

I've just not involved myself in the GSS because when I first found out about it I honestly didn't know much about it or what it was about and I had people telling me it was an ongoing event from years ago etc which put me off a little as I didn't think I would be "allowed" to join in.

I think it's a great shame people think of Illistim as cliquey, although I can understand where they get these ideas from, I personally feel if you want to move to a new town and make friends there you have to make the effort in the first place and they have to be willing to accept newcomers.

Eiderfleur has managed to make friends in all the towns she has moved to. Simply because of her craziness I suppose but it makes it fun for both, myself and others interacting with her (I hope).

Ilvane
02-04-2005, 08:10 AM
I've never had problems meeting people at all as Ilvane, or as my bard. I came in as my wizard, who I have barely told anyone about, that she is me..and it was a struggle to get anyone to talk to her.

I have to admit, as my healer I met some nice people, and had small interactions, but for the most part, I didn't see a whole lot of effort.(Thank you Lavastene, your brief interaction made me hopeful!) RP is what makes Gemstone for me.

To not have that just doesn't make the game the same.

-A

02-04-2005, 10:16 AM
I followed it up until Ta'Illistim, but the damn thing started moving too slow for me. These huge multi-month fun pauses made me yawn. They need to come out with story-lines with the pace of the Kobold Invasion (best one so far) or the Vishmiir (second best). I hate the multi-year story lines. YAWN.

- Arkans

Skeeter
02-04-2005, 10:23 AM
I agree with Ilvane. I find 90% of people will ignore you completely. If you're not a "made" char. You may as well RP with the wall.

02-04-2005, 10:27 AM
The best way to get involved is not through just words. You need to do a real outrageous actions or screw someone the side you want to work against over somehow or make their life miserable. Then, you just stay logged in for 16 hours a day and try to RP.

- Arkans

Fallen
02-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Ways to get involved in GSS:

1. Form logging parties.

2. Speak with Ablen/Ulstram when they or their scouts are about.

3. Catch one of the main PC characters of the storyline during some downtime and ask them questions.

4. Initiate conversation concerning the recent events of the Storyline in public places.

5. Aid the best fighters in invasions (Unstun, Drag, Spirit Strike, Ect)

6. Cast locate person on people you know to be heavily involved, and move to that location.

7. Aid the invading NPC creatures/Characters.

8. Write IC posts on the message boards.

9. Give IC battle reports over the amunet, listing the strengths and weaknesses of the invading creatures.

10. Offer spellups and magical before/during invasions.

11. Ask to join or form hunting or parties before/during the invasions.

12. Help stock triage areas with herbs, or work to protect them.

13. Arm the Towers/Ballistas.

Stunseed
02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
< 2. Speak with Ablen/Ulstram when they or their scouts are about. >

Laughable at best. Stunseed has been totally ignored multiple times in the course of the past week in direct interaction with Ablen.

Fallen
02-04-2005, 11:10 AM
< 2. Speak with Ablen/Ulstram when they or their scouts are about. >

Laughable at best. Stunseed has been totally ignored multiple times in the course of the past week in direct interaction with Ablen. >>

When did you attempt to speak with him? During the middle of the invasion, or when he is shooting the shit?

Ablen will frequently drag a good 15-20 people off to hold a war meeting in Phoen temple (Never been). He has also came to the North Market multiple times to answer questions and speak of the progress of the war. He will come on the amunet every now and then as well, and will often respond to well phrased questions.

Ablen is but one NPC, more than likely controlling the bulk of the invasion, possibly other characters as well. He can only do so much.

Also, when Ablen and Morvule in the same room...That may not be the best time to ask questions. They often have a set agenda of what must be said to further the plot. However, even in this they seek to involve a great deal of people. They will hold their parlay over the Amunet for all to hear, or in public places such as the NM.

Fallen
02-04-2005, 11:23 AM
In the end, I believe some people simply cannot tolerate GM lead Quest atmosphere. They can be frustrating, especially if you expect to be "In the know" at all times, and do not have atleast 3-4 hours a night to devote to your efforts.

Above all, that is what it takes: Time. These quest whores you name are those that put in that much a night, and much more. Wulfhen and Mekthros are nearly always up to something. Kyllinar, Valicar, Subarashi, all the them are almost always around. The time they spend makes them more familiar with each and every development of the ongoing saga.

Even with all the time Evarin spent in Solhaven, he was nowhere near completely in the "Know". There were several plans and meetings that there were NO way he would be able to just walk in on. That is the point of secrecy. These were the schemings of Ablen's and Morvule's proven and faithful soldiers. I wouldn't WANT just anyone to walk in and get involved in those.

As I said, in the end, some people will always be left with a sour feeling from quests. There simply isnt enough GM support to attempt to involve most, if any of the casual players into the quest continually.

Ilvane
02-04-2005, 11:25 AM
I have actually tried all these things..I just am more upset that if I brougt in Ilvane, she would not be ignored. It's a wakeup call.

I'm just bringing that to everyones attention. People who want to get involved in RP may be hitting that same road block that I have been experiencing. I would never had stayed around in the Thurfel quest, had Iscikella not listened to my stories and my thoughts on things. I didn't have to interact with the NPC to get involved, I spoke with the actual characters.

You don't need an NPC to RP. Many of the people in this story RP only when the NPC is around. There are exceptions, of course...but it's not the rule.

-A

[Edited on 2-4-2005 by Ilvane]

Lavastene
02-04-2005, 11:38 AM
I've had similar problems in the past trying to get Lavastene involved in things. For the most part he sticks to himself and a small group of friends. There are times when I would enjoy getting him more involved in things, but I have felt the same way.

As for getting involved in the GSS, Lavastene doesn't know much about what is going on. He knows the basic premise of what is being fought over and understands the two different sides, but if you were to ask him, he could only tell you what he has heard in passing. Because he knows little of what is going on, I am reluctant to get him involved aside from helping to defend the town that he is a citizen of.

Sorry you're having a rough time, but I am glad that Lavastene provided a positive experience, albeit brief.

- Matt

Trinitis
02-04-2005, 11:50 AM
I know exactly how you feel Ilavne. I've tried to get Adredrin involved in many things, just to be ignored. Heck, right now I've not been in GS much at all just because when I am, people ignore me normally. :shrug:

I'm not sure if Adredrin's RP is counter-productive or what, but it must be something. Adredrin has a very set RP, but since none of the GS gods are involved, nor does he have some shrouded, dark background, I guess people don't find him interesting. The *most* attention I got was during the GSS..and it was not even RP based. I was labeled a DA member, and people attacked me on sight, just because Adredrin was around Naessi. People did not seem to understand Adredrin and Naessi are siblings. Heh.

[Edited on 2-4-2005 by Adredrin]

Stunseed
02-04-2005, 11:55 AM
< When did you attempt to speak with him? During the middle of the invasion, or when he is shooting the shit? >

Twice in group meetings, once in Phoen's Temple, and when the plans to rebuild Solhaven were presented.

< They can be frustrating, especially if you expect to be "In the know" at all times, and do not have atleast 3-4 hours a night to devote to your efforts. >

I've had Stun in Solhaven every night with the exception of Tuesday night, per Fury CTA. The time has definately been clocked in. I wish I had a log from last night when Ablen asked a question, Stun answered it, and instead of even a nod, he just left.

I've had more interaction with Morvule than Ablen, and he's on the other side. I find that a little frustrating, to be honest.

02-04-2005, 12:28 PM
The problem is, is that the Fury has the uncanny ability in tying your hands. You can only do so many things and go so many places and act only so much on your own. Usually, you're just tied in a group with them and thus it's harder to be heard over 200 other voices. It sucks.

- Arkans

Syberus
02-04-2005, 12:39 PM
You got ignored Stun? He always seems to talk to me whenever I speak to him first, but it could be because I started shittalking him and Phoen when someone got a fireball to the face after having fought for a few hours because he said something about Phoen he didn't like.

02-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Do something outrageous that pisses someone off and you will definatly get attention.

- Arkans

Divinity
02-04-2005, 12:47 PM
I have to say that I've been involved in GSS only since it hit Solhaven recently.

However, I have to disagree with Fallen, because when I tried to roleplay with Ablen when he's just around and no invasion going on, the Dhe'nar there will isolate him from the rest of us and pretty much take over asking any questions and time for conversation.

I find that in pretty much any roleplaying experience. Recently (the past two years) has all been about who can outwit the other and be, for the lack of better words, attention whores. Some people need to learn how to share.

If this offended any Dhe'nar or people that are attention whores, I won't apologize, but just ask that you give others a chance at the roleplay too. :saint:

Fallen
02-04-2005, 01:03 PM
Are you using the culture Dhe'nar to refer to elitist characters? There are about 2 other Dhe'nar actively involved in the GSS, so I am not quite sure what you mean.

Evarin pulled out

Avaia is a rare show

Alisaire is about, but only on the weekends

Calean is a moron, and in no way a Dhe'nar other than cultural title.

Divinity
02-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Evarin was one of the Dhe'nar monopolozing Ablen's time. There was another Dhe'nar that started with an R, that Evarin was talking to.

I don't mean to single them out, but many people were saying (I also noticed) that if you wanted to talk or anything and were not Dhe'nar, that you wouldn't get anywhere. There was talk of throwing the lot of cliquesh Dhe'nar's out of the city gates.

It was just an example of what I saw and how people will whore themselves for a roleplaying award or recognition from a GM and not think that perhaps other people would like to play too.

Fallen
02-04-2005, 02:21 PM
Hah. Now that is funny. Evarin left the GSS saga BECAUSE he was Dhe'nar. He had no real reason to fight in defense of Solhaven, and did not want the shard anywhere near his people. He was simply in the wrong town at the wrong time.

Evarin spoke for about 4 hours one day, then another 4 the next. However, 6:30 hours of that time there was 0 NPC's there. Simply arguing and discussing the GSS was various townspeople and GSS hero's/Villains.

It is true that Evarin spoke with Ablen for quite some time, though this was because he himself raised many issues which many other in the crowd wanted answered. I will not apologize for my involvement in GSS, or for attempting to question Ablen. If a Dhe'nar wants something, he takes it.

Divinity
02-04-2005, 11:46 PM
:bleh: Evarin did well in doing that very thing. Hats off to you and yours.

Revalos
02-05-2005, 01:09 AM
Coupla things.

First off, I haven't even logged in the game since the Fortuneer titles were given out. I got so tired of the recurring GSS invasions I just couldn't find any reason to log in.

I was actually getting back into the GSS, something I never believed I would be able to do when Maulverre was talking things over at the cafe, but here comes the invasions of ultra-powerful critters and untouchable NPCs. Its just not my bag.

RP suffers because of invasion mentailty some people demonstrate, I think, and when people try to RP with main NPCs during an invasion, they get frustrated, I know I did.

Give me puzzles, give me something political, give me intrigue that doesn't come at the end of a flaming spinal cord. IMHO, invasions like this should only happen once every couple years, but with the GSS its been like once a month.

Solhaven's playerbase has suffered as many have seen. A lot of good RPers are sick of the constant IC harrassment they get...it just stagnates characters when the same stuff happens day in and day out. They close off from people they don't want to interact with, or the suspect new people for working for the enemy. It doesn't help the atmosphere for people actually enjoying themselves, unless they are the flagellating type.

So I'll stay logged until this damn quest ends. It doesn't sound like I'm missing much substantive from what I read here and on the official BBS.

Merjinia
02-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Divinity
It was just an example of what I saw and how people will whore themselves for a roleplaying award or recognition from a GM and not think that perhaps other people would like to play too.

I find it extremely funny that you would accuse Evarin of RP simply to gain an RP award. Evarin is always right on with his RP, even if all-alone. The character is well thought out, and excellently portrayed.

Obviously the player has a great talent for pulling other's into his RP should he wish it.

It is not Evarin's fault that his questioning intrigued Alben. Evarin had need of information, for himself as well as others. Alben was the only viable source for that information.

I believe Evarin was in Sol Haven for reasons totally unrelated to the GSS. I am almost certain it had little to do with gaining RP awards, or to snub everyone else out of the chance to interact with Alben.

I saw very few Dhe'nar involved in the whole event. Just because one character that happend to be Dhe'nar outshined you, and yours, does not mean that Dhe'nar should be blamed for monopolizing any RP scenarios.

Next time you have the chance, make your RP interesting and assert yourself and someone might notice. Don't expect RP awards, or recognition. If you simply play your Character to the best of your ability, and enjoy doing so, all the recognition you crave will surely befall you.

Divinity
02-05-2005, 12:24 PM
I said people. Like I said before, these were examples and in no way trying to single people out.

Also, people did notice what I said and such, even complimented in whispers, one of them being Evelith.

Again, I wasn't coming here to start a big flame war, I'm just asking for others to let people share the experience with them. If Evarin is played as an involved Dhe'nar, hats off to him as I previously mentioned.

This wasn't an attack on Evarin or Dhe'nar, it was merely an example of what I saw. I thought I mentioned and said as much, I guess I wasn't clear.