PDA

View Full Version : US soldier taken hostage ?

Parkbandit
02-01-2005, 03:19 PM
This image of what appears to be a captured US soldier was posted on an Iraqi militant website on Tuesday. (AP Photo)

Baghdad - Iraqi militants claimed in a website posting on Tuesday to have taken an American soldier hostage and threatened to behead him in 72 hours unless the Americans release Iraqi prisoners.

The posting included a photo of what appeared to be an American soldier in uniform seated with his hands tied behind his back.

A gun barrel was pointed at his head.

"God willing, we will behead him if our female and male prisoners are not released from US prisons within the maximum period of 72 hours from the time this statement has been released," the statement said.

The claim could not be verified.

Parkbandit
02-01-2005, 03:21 PM
:lol::lol:

Is this what they have been reduced to?

THEY GOT OUR TOY! WE BETTER DO WHAT THEY SAY!!!!

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-01-2005, 03:31 PM
I don't understand, are you saying it's fake?

Makkah
02-01-2005, 03:33 PM
It is fake. Don't be retarded.

Parkbandit
02-01-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Suppa Hobbit Mage
I don't understand, are you saying it's fake?

Sure looks fake to me.. including the gun pointed to his head.

Wezas
02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Gun, all the gear, the guy - everything looks like it was pulled right out of that toy package.

Back
02-01-2005, 03:40 PM
From CNN's (http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/default.jsp) website. I swear this is not doctored.

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by Backlash]

Nakiro
02-01-2005, 03:43 PM
If its not fake, the guy is going to die. Why he allowed himself to be captured alive I do not know.

Parkbandit
02-01-2005, 03:47 PM
It just makes me laugh how quickly this story is being reported without anyone even trying to verify anything. "Oh good! Bad news from Iraq! HOLD THE PRESSES"

As soon as I saw the picture, I thought it looked weird.

crazymage
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
where'd you get toy pic?

Parkbandit
02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by crazymage
where'd you get toy pic?

I refuse to tell you as you may consider the Drudge Report a bad site for information.

Warriorbird
02-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Hmm....

Hulkein
02-01-2005, 04:28 PM
Score another for DrudgeReport.

Warriorbird
02-01-2005, 04:29 PM
That site they took as a source is shadier than all heck and it isn't showing up on the main CNN site. Republican info warfare?

:snickers:

In all seriousness, if it is real, poor fellow. We'd never pull out for one death.

[Edited on 2-1-2005 by Warriorbird]

xtc
02-01-2005, 05:30 PM
People Cody doll maybe beheaded.......

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6894934/

DeV
02-01-2005, 10:14 PM
My first thought at seeing the photo was that he already looked dead. One second thought; glad it's a toy soldier and not a real one.

[Edited on 2-2-2005 by DeV]

Tsa`ah
02-02-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Nakiro
If its not fake, the guy is going to die. Why he allowed himself to be captured alive I do not know.

Ya, assuming it isn't a toy, the first thing I would do as a US soldier would be to kill myself to avoid capture.

:rolleyes:

Nakiro
02-02-2005, 01:35 AM
I'd go out fighting before surrendering to Islamic extremist who I full well knew would end up decapitating me anyway.

Tsa`ah
02-02-2005, 01:36 AM
Good for you.

When are you enlisting?

Nakiro
02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Soon as I'm drafted.

Vad
02-02-2005, 01:39 AM
Some of the stranger religions frown on suicide, even in perfectly reasonable situations. I wouldn't hesitate, but I think personally i'd prefer to go down shooting. Btw, having read the article and compared photos, i'm 100% convinced it's a fake. Especially looking at the weapon.

-V

Star of David
02-02-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm pretty sure all major religions frown on suicide

[Edited on 12-05-1981 by Star of David]

ThisOtherKingdom
02-02-2005, 03:15 AM
I'm a skeptic at heart, so on first thought I'd believe that it looks fake. The skin the doll looks darker to me. And also, the scope on the gun that comes along with the toy looks different to me than in the picture.

I'm more prone to believe that no one has reported a soldier missing, however, therefore I think it is a fake.

Vad
02-02-2005, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Star of David
I'm pretty sure all major religions frown on suicide

[Edited on 12-05-1981 by Star of David]

They're all pretty strange to me.

-V

02-02-2005, 04:02 AM
Actually, the first thing I saw is the magazine which is a 20 round magazine, which is not issued to US troops.

Nieninque
02-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Nakiro
I'd go out fighting before surrendering to Islamic extremist who I full well knew would end up decapitating me anyway.

Easy to say when you are sat behind a computer in your safe little house, thousands of miles away from where all the bad people are.

When you are in that situation yourself, you can condemn people for getting into the situations they are in. Until then, stop being a moron for just one day in your life and take a day off.

02-02-2005, 07:48 AM
I think most soldiers would rather go down in a firefight than get their heads cut off. Nakiro is not to far off in his feelings.

Nieninque
02-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Dave
I think most soldiers would rather go down in a firefight than get their heads cut off. Nakiro is not to far off in his feelings.

That much I dont dispute. I am sure the civilians that have been killed would have thought the same.

What I am disputing is this:

Originally posted in a highly condescending manner by Nakiro
Why he allowed himself to be captured alive I do not know.

...as though it was a failing on a soldiers part that s/he had been captured at all.

A few years ago, when the troubles in Northern Ireland were still rampant, a couple of soldiers took a wrong turn into the Falls Road part of Belfast and came face to face with an IRA funeral. The mob surrounded the car, pulled hte men out, beat them, stripped them to their underpants and then shot them with their own guns. I suppose you would have done things differently, Nakiro?

You cant possibly know what you would do, unless you are in that situation. In which case, STFU.

02-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque

That much I dont dispute. I am sure the civilians that have been killed would have thought the same.

Eh but most of the civilians that were captured over there could have defended themselves IF they were allowed to be armed. (one of my big problems with what is going on over there)

Nieninque
02-02-2005, 09:15 AM
Yeah...exactly what we need. MORE people walking around with guns :rolleyes:

02-02-2005, 09:19 AM

Considering everyone in the population there is allowed to own an AK, I think that the people over there who are in need of some form of protection, those being targeted by terrorists, the foreign civilians, should at least be allowed a hand gun.

Warriorbird
02-02-2005, 09:30 AM
From what I've heard from some friends involved in security, several of the civilian contractors that got captured were patronizing "houses of ill repute", as unfortunate sounding as that is to say for them.

02-02-2005, 09:34 AM
well that was not to smart of them was it

Nieninque
02-02-2005, 09:39 AM

Considering everyone in the population there is allowed to own an AK, I think that the people over there who are in need of some form of protection, those being targeted by terrorists, the foreign civilians, should at least be allowed a hand gun.

Of course, that would work as well as it did for the soldiers that were killed by the IRA families as I posted above.

Clue here Dave, the answer to the problems of the world will not be resolved by giving everyone guns.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
This thread is about the stupid liberal media running with an unsubstantiated story as if it were gospel.

It's not about gun control in Iraq.

:offtopic:

Tsa`ah
02-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
This thread is about the stupid liberal media running with an unsubstantiated story as if it were gospel.

Fox ran it as well. They yanked it down without comment once the "Cody" comparison became known.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah

Fox ran it as well. They yanked it down without comment once the "Cody" comparison became known.

I don't consider Fox to be 'unstupid'.

Tsa`ah
02-02-2005, 09:56 AM
But you do consider them to be unliberal.

Warriorbird
02-02-2005, 10:03 AM
Pwned.

Back
02-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Warriorbird
Pwned.

Especially considering he found it on Drudge.

Double plus pwned.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Backlash

Originally posted by Warriorbird
Pwned.

Especially considering he found it on Drudge.

Double plus pwned.

OH NO! I FOUND SOMETHING ON DRUDGE THAT WAS CORRECT. OH THE FUCKING EMBARRASSMENT.

Oh wait.. they were the first to actually break the story about it being a toy. How again was I double plus pwned again?

Back
02-02-2005, 10:21 AM

A Thread (http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=10324) PB started not long ago.

Originally posted by ParkbanditDo the Liberals around here look a little desperate lately? I bet if I were to post a link to a story from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.. they would be the first in line to tell me how ignorant I was to post from such a biased source. Yet when they do it.. the whole "So does it mean it's not true" defense comes out.

So which is it..

I just would like clarification on this and what everyone's stand on it is. I'm sure I could go to Drudgereport.com or NYpost.com and find some real juicy stuff on Kerry. I just find the source pushing their own agenda too much.. so I tend to discount their message.

Thoughts?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Typical, PB. No source is trustworthy unless you deem it so. And you call me bullshit?

[Edited on 2-2-2005 by Backlash]

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 10:26 AM

So Fox News also ran it. Wow. Blows a huge ass hole in my theory that perhaps news outlets should substantiate a story instead of just plucking it off some fucking arab website and throwing it out as a fact.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 10:29 AM

A Thread (http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=10324) PB started not long ago.

Originally posted by ParkbanditDo the Liberals around here look a little desperate lately? I bet if I were to post a link to a story from Fox News or Rush Limbaugh.. they would be the first in line to tell me how ignorant I was to post from such a biased source. Yet when they do it.. the whole "So does it mean it's not true" defense comes out.

So which is it..

I just would like clarification on this and what everyone's stand on it is. I'm sure I could go to Drudgereport.com or NYpost.com and find some real juicy stuff on Kerry. I just find the source pushing their own agenda too much.. so I tend to discount their message.

Thoughts?

Typical, PB. No source is trustworthy unless you deem it so. And you call me bullshit?

I cannot help it that Drudge first broke the story.. can I? Are you saying that they didn't report the truth here?

There is a big difference from posting an opinion piece ala Backlash.. that is so full of holes and misspelled words and proclaiming this is the best thing since sliced bread.. and posting a source that had proof that a hoax was committed.

One is an opinion.. which you know the saying, they are like assholes.. everyone has one... and the other is a news story with proof provided. As you can see.. most of the other media outlets are now running it as a hoax. Did they run your pile of shit opinion piece about how Bush is the Facist of the New World Order yet?

[Edited on 2-2-05 by Parkbandit]

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM

And yes, I consider you a bullshit vendor.

Back
02-02-2005, 10:45 AM

So which is it..

Thoughts?

I cannot help it that Drudge first broke the story.. can I? Are you saying that they didn't report the truth here?

There is a big difference from posting an opinion piece ala Backlash.. that is so full of holes and misspelled words and proclaiming this is the best thing since sliced bread.. and posting a source that had proof that a hoax was committed.

One is an opinion.. which you know the saying, they are like assholes.. everyone has one... and the other is a news story with proof provided. As you can see.. most of the other media outlets are now running it as a hoax. Did they run your pile of shit opinion piece about how Bush is the Facist of the New World Order yet?

[Edited on 2-2-05 by Parkbandit]

My opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you come on here screaming liberal media whenever someone posts a story you disagree with then turn around and pull Drudge report out of your ass like you are some big hero who broke the story while just days ago you were calling them the liberal media!

My opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you cant seem to admit that you are just going to dismiss anything you disagree with on a bullshit basis of nuetering the source with comments of bias and nuetrality.

At least I admit I have an opinion and what it is, and don’t give a fuck what you think of it. You can’t seem to do the same and continue to hide behind this veil of supremecy woven out of claiming a non-bias objectional veiw-point.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 10:56 AM

My opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you come on here screaming liberal media whenever someone posts a story you disagree with then turn around and pull Drudge report out of your ass like you are some big hero who broke the story while just days ago you were calling them the liberal media!

My opinion has nothing to do with the fact that you cant seem to admit that you are just going to dismiss anything you disagree with on a bullshit basis of nuetering the source with comments of bias and nuetrality.

At least I admit I have an opinion and what it is, and don’t give a fuck what you think of it. You can’t seem to do the same and continue to hide behind this veil of supremecy woven out of claiming a non-bias objectional veiw-point.

Let's see if I have this straight.

You posted an opinion piece. I disagreed with it because it looked like it was written by someone with 6th grade spelling credentials.

I posted a picture that disproved a claim that one of our soldiers was being held hostage and that it was nothing but a staged toy prop. You are clearly upset that it came from a conservative source.

Yes, I believe that news sources should not run stories that are unsubstantiated and are pulled off some arab's website. I believe that the liberal media is far too quick to report bad news in Iraq that they didn't check their sources. If Fox News ran this story as well.. then they too were at fault in their reporting.

Nieninque
02-02-2005, 11:03 AM
I posted a picture that disproved a claim that one of our soldiers was being held hostage and that it was nothing but a staged toy prop. You are clearly upset that it came from a conservative source.

Yes, I believe that news sources should not run stories that are unsubstantiated and are pulled off some arab's website. I believe that the liberal media is far too quick to report bad news in Iraq that they didn't check their sources. If Fox News ran this story as well.. then they too were at fault in their reporting.

So it's about the media rather than the liberal media...they all sell "news" and unfortunately, bad news from anywhere sells better than good news.

Warriorbird
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm just posting to insert another, "Liberal media!" Parkbandit has been slacking.

Back
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
PB, I dirgressed a bit. I think you are confusing Drudge for the National Review. At least, I would think Drudge far more liberal than any coporate owned news source. So it looked like you were slamming what you call liberal media (which I consider corporate/conservative these days) with a source thats even more, as you would put it, liberal.

So, anyway, it was cool that you did find that story and post it here. But in doing so (even though the story was true) you have exemplified a dangerous trend in the public/media relationship.

A dangerous trend that is happening with the media is to purposefully neuter the real truth through the misdirection of claiming neutrality or absolute objectivity. To never accept anything as fact by saying there are two sides of every story and should be equal even if one is complete horseshit buries the truth.

And my post a few days back... if you read my lead in, I said I posted it more out of interest than agreement. Though some of it I do agree with. spelling errors and all.

Parkbandit
02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
PB, I dirgressed a bit. I think you are confusing Drudge for the National Review. At least, I would think Drudge far more liberal than any coporate owned news source. So it looked like you were slamming what you call liberal media (which I consider corporate/conservative these days) with a source thats even more, as you would put it, liberal.

So, anyway, it was cool that you did find that story and post it here. But in doing so (even though the story was true) you have exemplified a dangerous trend in the public/media relationship.

A dangerous trend that is happening with the media is to purposefully neuter the real truth through the misdirection of claiming neutrality or absolute objectivity. To never accept anything as fact by saying there are two sides of every story and should be equal even if one is complete horseshit buries the truth.

And my post a few days back... if you read my lead in, I said I posted it more out of interest than agreement. Though some of it I do agree with. spelling errors and all.

1) Drudge Report is FAR from liberal.. It's almost considered "Retarded Conservatism"

2) I posted the picture.. not to "neuter the truth" but to actually bring the truth to light.

3) You express that it's dangerous to listen to just one side of the news.. but to me, that is exactly what you are constantly doing. Hypocrit alert.

4) How can you "agree" with spelling errors? Stick with agreeing with just the content.

DeV
02-02-2005, 01:49 PM
:whistle:

xtc
02-02-2005, 01:57 PM

Hmmm maybe a Brady bill in Iraq would be a good idea. 10 cooling off period maybe those insurgents would be calmer after 10 days. Maybe a brady bill in Iraq could changed the tide of the war?

Neildo
02-03-2005, 03:38 AM
Uh, people actually believed that pic/video was of a real person? Lol. The first moment I saw that on TV, I immediately knew it was a toy. The scale is all wrong on it too.

I'm actually kind of glad the media did this story because it only goes to show that one cannot believe everything they hear, and even see. Pictures and video can easily be doctored these days and it only leads to the easier manipulation of propoganda. Too bad most people still hold those two visual mediums as absolute proof.

- N

Back
02-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Just an update (http://intelwire.egoplex.com/2005_02_03_exclusives.html#110747468647241319) on the fate of that poor toy.

DeV
02-13-2005, 10:38 AM
It's good to know that that toy was not harmed in the making of the fake hostage video.