PDA

View Full Version : Slow Internet Connection Through Router

Jonty
01-29-2005, 01:21 AM
I've been using a router to share a cable internet connection between two computers for over a year. I've noticed pages loading slow sometimes, but it usually cleared up after a little while and I didn't pay much attention to it. For the last two days however, I've been forced to notice it because it's been very slow most of the time; some pages would even give up loading.

Now, the wierd thing is, today for example, the connection just seems to speed back up out of no where. So, I thought it was just an ISP proble. But tonight, it happened again, and it totally pissed me off. So, I connected my old computer to the network to see if there was a problem with my new one. But it was the same. I then decided to directly connect the computer to the modem. And boom, it was fast again. I kept switching from being directly connected to the modem, and being connected through the router. Every time, the router connection was slower. I tested this on both computers.

Another weird thing is that things like AIM, GS, and automatic updates seem to connect just fine. Only web pages and ftp uploading seem to load very slow and time out.

Anyone have any advice for this problem? Did my router go bad? Should I get a new one? Also, does anyone know if it would work if I were to just get another modem and connect the other computer to it on the other cable line?

[Edited on 1-29-2005 by Jonty]

HarmNone
01-29-2005, 01:29 AM
I haven't the foggiest idea, Jonty. However, I'm sure someone with more than three active brain cells will show up with an answer for you. :)

Anebriated
01-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Just wondering, is it a wireless router? I have had alot of trouble with mine(similar slow page loading) due to using the USB wireless adapter. They suck.

ThisOtherKingdom
01-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I haven't the foggiest idea, Jonty. However, I'm sure someone with more than three active brain cells will show up with an answer for you. :)

Wow, what a helpful, worthwhile post.

Jonty, when you're using a router that means you're splitting the bandwidth between both computers. That's how it worked when my roomate and I used a computer anyway. That's why it is faster when you're plugged directly into the modem.

You either have to live with it, or call the cable company and pay more for a faster connection.

peam
01-29-2005, 12:25 PM
If this is a new problem, try resetting the router. Most have a small button that you have to use a pen or pencil tip to push.

Jonty
01-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Elrodin
Just wondering, is it a wireless router? I have had alot of trouble with mine(similar slow page loading) due to using the USB wireless adapter. They suck.

No, it's wired.

Jonty
01-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by peam
If this is a new problem, try resetting the router. Most have a small button that you have to use a pen or pencil tip to push.

Yeah, it's a new problem. It's never been this bad for so long. I even had to directly connect to the modem to even make these posts.....

I've tried reseting the router, I even tried again just now. It doesn't help. :flamed:

MrFeature
01-29-2005, 01:02 PM
What kind of router is it?

Jonty
01-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router

[Edited on 1-29-2005 by Jonty]

Mistomeer
01-29-2005, 01:34 PM
It's either a router problem, or one of the other computers on your network taking up alot of bandwidth, thus reducing yours. I've had quite a few SOHO routers/firewalls go bad. All the Cisco Pix 501's I've had reset about once a day cause they can't keep up.

peam
01-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Seconding, Mistomeer.

Check both computers, if you have p2p programs on them. Make sure the uploads aren't killing your bandwidth. I had the same problem in my old apartment, and it was due to one of the roommates having their uploads set to unlimited.

Omens
01-29-2005, 01:51 PM
When it's running slow the IP add is being updated to each network card and the router is forced to update both at the same time since the data is only sent once from the cable company. To bypass this, every few days, Click on run, then type winipfg when the window comes up, hit release all, then renew all. It should update them one at a time and you wont have the slow down. This is what belkin told me when I called them about the same problum with the same router, havent had a probulm with it since.

Jonty
01-29-2005, 11:50 PM
The second computer is off most of the time and was off while I was comparing the connection speeds between directly connecting to the modem and connecting through the router. There are also no p2p programs running.

[Edited on 1-30-2005 by Jonty]

Mistomeer
01-30-2005, 09:04 AM
Probably the router. You could get a new one, and try it with that, and if that doesn't fix it, return the new one.

Vad
01-31-2005, 05:56 AM
Belkin routers plunder ass with Backswords and eyepatches. Go Linksys.

-V