PDA

View Full Version : An Obession for WoW Goes Too Far

Toxicvixen
06-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Such a sad story. I understand wanting to play but geesh.

World Of Warcraft Causes Infant Death (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/20/news_6127866.html)

Couple's online gaming causes infant's death

Korean press picks up tale of tragedy when couple plays World of Warcraft to excess, infant perishes from neglect.
In a story out of Korea, which is just now surfacing in the Western press, a couple in Incheon, South Korea, were arrested last week when their 4-month-old daughter died after being left alone by the couple for hours. The mother and father reportedly had gone to a nearby Internet cafe, lost themselves in playing Blizzard's massively multiplayer online PC game World of Warcraft, and returned to their home only to find the infant dead from suffocation. "We booked the pair on criminal charges, judging that when you consider the situation, they were responsible for their daughter's death," a policeman told the Chosun Ilbo newspaper. The couple reportedly told police, "We were thinking of playing for just an hour or two and returning home like usual, but the game took longer that day." The infant was the couple's only child.

[Edited on 6-22-2005 by Toxicvixen]

Nieninque
06-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Bad people.

I cant imagine leaving a baby alone for anything...let alone a computer game.

It doesnt bear thinking about what was going through their mind as their baby was dying.

[Edited on 22-6-05 by Nieninque]

Wezas
06-22-2005, 08:03 AM
They obviously didn't realize what a long pain in the ass Gnomeregan is.

<yes, I realize the story is sad>

Apotheosis
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Hell, I'm supposed to be posting these kinds of stories. :P

Skirmisher
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Eh, sounds like another attempt to blame "something", in this case computer games, for a persons inner failings.

I think these two would have found a way to ignore their child even if WOW never existed. They would have found something else to take their apparently extremely limited attention from the baby and it would have died anyway.

They are just another example that lots of people should never have kids.

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 10:15 AM
Exactly.. if it happened in the US, they would probably try an sue Blizzard.

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Toxicvixen
The couple reportedly told police, "We were thinking of playing for just an hour or two and returning home like usual, but the game took longer that day."

the above is what makes me angry.

Playing an hour or 2 and returning home like usual?

I have already had 2 posts removed today so I will not post what I want to do to those two

CrystalTears
06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Makes you wonder what other "only for an hour or two" outtings they took aside from their gaming. If they did it for a game, they did it for other things as well, just unfortunate it happened while they were playing a game.

It's just sad that people can be that negligent with children. I'm all for having a fun time and playing around when you have kids, but to not even think about their well-being before anything else scares me.

Trouble
06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Originally posted by Toxicvixen
The couple reportedly told police, "We were thinking of playing for just an hour or two and returning home like usual, but the game took longer that day."

the above is what makes me angry.

Playing an hour or 2 and returning home like usual?

This sorta highlights the main difference I've noticed between WoW and GS, which is that GS forces you to take breaks a few times an hour to rest, while with WoW, you can play for hours and not ever move off of your chair.

If it weren't for the forced rest breaks in GS, nothing would ever get done around my house.

Wezas
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
It doesnt bear thinking about what was going through their mind as their baby was dying.

"Dammit, I hate slow quest drops!"

Nieninque
06-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Trouble

This sorta highlights the main difference I've noticed between WoW and GS, which is that GS forces you to take breaks a few times an hour to rest, while with WoW, you can play for hours and not ever move off of your chair.

If it weren't for the forced rest breaks in GS, nothing would ever get done around my house.

Small amount of difference in doing the washing up and making sure your four month old baby isnt suffocating.

Nieninque
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Wezas

Originally posted by Nieninque

"Dammit, I hate slow quest drops!"

I was thinking along the lines of:

[1. General][Mum]CAN ANYONE TEL ME WHERE ECHAYAKEE IS?

Odups
06-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Someone the messenger? Oh wait...wrong game.

/flee

Numbers
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
People on that side of the world take online gaming VERY seriously.

There's already been a number of deaths from people who simply play too long without sleep. Games like StarCraft, Lineage, and now WoW.

I guess when you're living in a country that's dirt poor and whose government censors half of the Internet and airwaves, you've gotta take your entertainment where you can get it. Nobody should be irresponsible enough to leave their infant alone for so long, though.

Czeska
06-22-2005, 12:35 PM
[i] Nobody should be irresponsible enough to leave their infant alone for so long, though.

If you remove "for so long" then I agree.

No excuse, no reason, no justification. They are criminals, they are murderers via neglect.

KymberlynX
06-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Damn...I feel bad when I leave Jordyn in my room, in her walker, watching TV while I go downstairs to put laundry in the machines (which is usually why I just wait til her father gets home to do it)...Hell I even feel bad when I'm trying to do laundry while she sleeps!!!...but HOURS??

I'm lucky if I even get to play GS when I'm at home ON MY OWN COMPUTER because taking care of that little girl is my top priority (and she gets mad when I'm on the computer :(). What that couple did astounds me. I guess they never heard of the concept of taking turns. :no:

Trinitis
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Speaking of how serious they take gaming there..You people do know that Starcraft/BroodWars is a national sport there, right? The best players are government funded and highly respected.

Brattt8525
06-22-2005, 01:39 PM
I am still trying to get past the leaving the child alone for any reason issue. I don't care what your doing, you NEVER leave a child alone.

I have a completely chain link fenced yard and 2 large dogs in that yard to protect my 2 kids and even they can't be outside without my watching them. When my kids were infants I didn't even leave them alone in a room when I took a shower, they were in there with me or in the doorway in a walker or car seat or whatever. Those parents need to be put in jail for murder.

Bobmuhthol
06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
<<Those parents need to be put in jail for murder.>>

When they murder someone, I'll agree.

It was manslaughter. The baby died because of another crime (neglect) that they committed.

DeV
06-22-2005, 01:52 PM
The fact that they were okay with leaving their 4-month old in the house alone for any amount of time is ludicris. I couldn't imagine doing something so asinine.

Toxicvixen
06-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Karma needs to bite those parents in the ass. I think the guards should just neglect them for a couple days no food or water and come back and go Sorry we were busying doing Gnomeregan.

Shari
06-22-2005, 02:11 PM
This sort of thing makes me sick to my stomach.

I fear for our species when I find out that people like this exist. I wonder how many more there are.

weasel82
06-22-2005, 03:27 PM
<<Those parents need to be put in jail for murder.>>

When they murder someone, I'll agree.

It was manslaughter. The baby died because of another crime (neglect) that they committed.

---That's a dubious comment and could be proven otherwise...

Nieninque
06-22-2005, 03:29 PM
It's symantics
At the end of the day they were responsible for the care of a baby.
They failed to live up to their responsibilities and the baby died because they were playing a video game.
Fucked up is what that is.
The sentence should be the same, regardless of what you want to call the crime.

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I say we find out what server they play on and wtfpwnificate them alot.

crazymage
06-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Next person we'll be reading about ...

http://forum.gsplayers.com/viewthread.php?tid=15605

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by crazymage

ok mods why is this off topic post still allowed?

crazymage
06-22-2005, 06:15 PM
again im offering my opinion as to obsessions of wow going to far, please look up the meaning of on topic. and learn to use the report button.

Toxicvixen
06-22-2005, 06:15 PM
Actually that post was about obsessive people and wow. I think it fits perfectly. Jackass.

Parkbandit
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Because he plays a horde character. Duh.

I wonder if the parents who killed their kid played alliance. I bet they did.

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

Because he plays a horde character. Duh.

I wonder if the parents who killed their kid played alliance. I bet they did.

still fucking waiting on a mod to do their job?

whats up CT afraid to delete whorde posts?

Trinitis
06-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Do us a favor, look up off topic. Afterwords, do a study on "the natural flow of conversations." Report back with your findings. We will need it 12 point, single spaced.

theotherjohn
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Adredrin
Do us a favor, look up off topic. Afterwords, do a study on "the natural flow of conversations." Report back with your findings. We will need it 12 point, single spaced.

all this off topic shit and because the mods are whored nothing is done.

Trinitis
06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Funny. I'm alliance.

Did you hear that? That loud thud?

That was your theory hitting rock bottom and shattering.

[Edited on 6-22-2005 by Adredrin]

crazymage
06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
BOOO alliance

Toxicvixen
06-22-2005, 06:39 PM
Stupid Pally. My Shaman is going to kick your ass!!! In a few more levels...