PDA

View Full Version : ()@*#$)(*@#()!@_!@#$@#

SpunGirl
01-24-2005, 11:30 PM
What the... has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

After the debacle with Wells Fargo, we of course closed our accounts there and switched to a different bank. I got my debit card in the mail a few days ago and updated my billing information with Simu today, since I like to use my debit card for that monthly bill.

They should have charged me right away for $40, since I bill with them on the 17th (which has obviously already passed). Tonight I got a call from Visa fraud prevention stating that they are NOT showing the $40 transaction, but they ARE showing 154 separate attempts to put a $2 transaction through from Simutronics. Those are currently pending against my account. There are also 52 other $2 attempts that my account rejected.

The shit thing is that since I gave them my credit card number, I can't call it fraud and have Visa tell Simu to shove it. I now have to dispute those charges with Simu, and if they actually go through, it's one of those credit card dispute things. Even if it was a mistake on their part, it could take a few days (like three or four) for those charges to fall off the system.

I hate that I can't call them right now to deal with it. I am so very pissed!

-K

[Edited on 1-25-2005 by SpunGirl]

01-24-2005, 11:32 PM
[edit]

Parkbandit
01-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Sounds like you didn't verify your new card with the bank.. so it wasn't actually open yet. Sounds like Simutronics software was simply attempting to see if the card was a valid card by getting a $2 authorization on it.

Wezas
01-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Sounds like you didn't verify your new card with the bank.. so it wasn't actually open yet. Sounds like Simutronics software was simply attempting to see if the card was a valid card by getting a $2 authorization on it.

^^ What he said.

Same thing happens when you first hook up your paypal. They make two deposits for some nominal amount (~$0.17).

They were trying to charge you - but they couldn't. And I don't see why you need to *dispute* the charges. What charges? Simu hasn't taken any money out of your account - they're simply trying to verify a connection to make it's monthly withdrawals.

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Uh, wrong.

I had verified the card with my bank. It was open and active without any problems. Something clearly went haywire in Simu's charging methods, because instead of posting some random charge for $2.00 to see if the card was valid, they posted 154!!!!! charges for $2.00 to my account. Those charges are now PENDING against my account, which means that $308 of my money is tied up, unavailable for use, until the 27th when those charges fall off of the account.

I have 15 minutes until I can call billing and see wtf they plan to do about it. I don't think I should have to wait two days to be able to use money I never authorized them to do anything with because something went wrong on their end.

-K

CrystalTears
01-25-2005, 12:57 PM
I guess that's where the confusion is because first you said there were 154 ATTEMPTS to put the charge on it. That's strange that it would make those accumulate so that you can't use all the money. That's a screwed up glitch.

DeV
01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
That's just retarded. They've never done that with any of my credit cards when I've change or updated billing information.

Parkbandit
01-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
Uh, wrong.

I had verified the card with my bank. It was open and active without any problems. Something clearly went haywire in Simu's charging methods, because instead of posting some random charge for $2.00 to see if the card was valid, they posted 154!!!!! charges for $2.00 to my account. Those charges are now PENDING against my account, which means that $308 of my money is tied up, unavailable for use, until the 27th when those charges fall off of the account.

I have 15 minutes until I can call billing and see wtf they plan to do about it. I don't think I should have to wait two days to be able to use money I never authorized them to do anything with because something went wrong on their end.

-K

That's the thing with Debit cards.. there is no actual line of 'credit' so the bank will hold any authorizations against the account until the authorizations drop. We use this notice for our guests who decide to use a debit card with us:

“If the debit/credit card you are using for check-in is attached to a bank or checking account, a hold will be placed on the account for the full anticipated dollar amount to be owed to the hotel, including estimated incidentals, through your date of check-out and such funds will not be released for 72 hours from the date of check-out."

Parkbandit
01-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by DeV
That's just retarded. They've never done that with any of my credit cards when I've change or updated billing information.

If you are using a credit card.. you would never notice it. It's a thing with debit cards.

Parkbandit
01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I guess that's where the confusion is because first you said there were 154 ATTEMPTS to put the charge on it. That's strange that it would make those accumulate so that you can't use all the money. That's a screwed up glitch.

For some reason, my guess is that Simutronics was unable to attain a valid authorization and kept trying. It's a simply procedure for Simutronics to clear up.. they simply need to call your bank and release all holds placed against that card. Should take them a total of 3 minutes.

DeV
01-25-2005, 01:03 PM
I use a debit card for one of my accounts and a credit card for the other. Sounds like a glitch. Regardless of what method of payment you're using when it comes to credit or debit, that should not happen. Especially not one hundred and fifty four times.

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 01:05 PM
Too bad their website says there's no problem with using debit cards. It'd be nice if they'd include that little caveat on the bit that says, "Can I use my debit card?!"

In any case... yeah, $308 of my dollars tied up for two days. So very, very pissed.

-K

Parkbandit
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Too bad their website says there's no problem with using debit cards. It'd be nice if they'd include that little caveat on the bit that says, "Can I use my debit card?!"

In any case... yeah, $308 of my dollars tied up for two days. So very, very pissed.

-K

Call Billing because there is no reason it has to be tied up for 2 days. It's a 2-3 minute call for Simutronics to make and the release is immediate.

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

For some reason, my guess is that Simutronics was unable to attain a valid authorization and kept trying. It's a simply procedure for Simutronics to clear up.. they simply need to call your bank and release all holds placed against that card. Should take them a total of 3 minutes.

I wish. I just got off the phone with the bank to make sure I had all my facts straight, and apparently there's no authorization code for those charges. That means that a) they won't go through, but b) they also can't be taken off at once.

H8.

-K

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 01:12 PM
PS I'm on the phone with them right now. The guy is very nice, but their hold radio program sux.

01-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Just tell me how it turns out and what I need to do, I'm gonna use my visa/mastercard at the start of feb to pay for two accs. It's a debit card too.

THey better not start charging me for some random junk, mang.

AkMan
01-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Once I was on vacation I think it was and someone put an authorization hold on my card, but the authorization amount didn't match the charged amount so it stayed in limbo until I called my bank. It was only a couple cents difference but it was enough to keep it tied up. My bank fixed it immediately.

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 01:53 PM
I asked the Visa lady last night if she could just deny all the charges, but she said no. Since I willingly gave them my account number, anything they do with my account (that I don't want them to do) is my responsibility, not the Visa people's. Makes sense, still sucks.

-K

Kyra
01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
PS I'm on the phone with them right now. The guy is very nice, but their hold radio program sux.

I told them that the last time I called, just got some off the wall answer from the guy about how they don't pick the music/station?? :rolleyes:

What was Simu's reason for the charges??

K.

SpunGirl
01-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Simu comes through.

So I just got an email from one of the dudes at billing, and it looks like the charges are going to be reversed and the hold dropped, and they went ahead and paid this month's subscription fee for me. They also wrote a really nice "sorry about the oops" letter.

All in all, v. impressed with them for handling the screwup with such good grace. Hooray!

-K

SpunGirl
01-26-2005, 12:25 AM
P.S. PB was right about there being codes to reverse the charges, and the bank was wrong when they told me there was no code. Therefore PB is the man and credit should be given where it is due.

-K

CrystalTears
01-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Good lord, woman. Now we'll never hear the end of it from PB. ;)

Caramia
01-26-2005, 03:40 AM
I asked the Visa lady last night if she could just deny all the charges, but she said no. Since I willingly gave them my account number, anything they do with my account (that I don't want them to do) is my responsibility, not the Visa people's. Makes sense, still sucks.

-K

Tell Simutronics Billing Office to call and have the hold release removed, they can do it and it does work almost instantly. I used to run into this when renting cars with a credit card. They would put a hold on the entire, anticipated amount, even though I was paying in cash at the end. I simply had the rental company call the credit card company and tell them to release the hold.

Caramia
01-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Whoops, helps to finish reading the thread.

Parkbandit
01-26-2005, 08:20 AM
P.S. PB was right about there being codes to reverse the charges, and the bank was wrong when they told me there was no code. Therefore PB is the man and credit should be given where it is due.

-K

The irritating part is that you have been posting here since 5-23-03 and you are JUST coming to that conclusion.

Thus, you are slow.

:smilegrin:

Glad everything turned out. Very cool of Simu to take care of your first month's subscription as well.

DeV
01-26-2005, 12:24 PM
Simu comes through.

All in all, v. impressed with them for handling the screwup with such good grace. Hooray!

-K Quite impressive and you deserved that type of service after a mishap that ridiculous.

Stan--- that is not standard or normal when it comes to using your debit card to pay for your Simu account. You shouldn't worry about something like that happening unless someone or something majorly fucks up on their end.

Lemonkyst
01-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Reguardless of the fact the bank varified it is open and accessable, many times the seller wants varification that your card is valid, (that you didnt typo when entering numbers and expiration etc.) so they process a nominal fee to make sure all is well.

The glitch is in the fact that Simu kept trying to process rather than sending you a letter saying .. Sorry your card info is invaild,as charges are being denied. Please send us the correct info or check with your bank. Help us find out why your card is not processing etc.

:help::help: