PDA

View Full Version : Do single-character players still play?

Mike
12-01-2017, 04:16 PM
I left the game white a while ago, but it seems the character base is still around the same as it was when I quit. Is this largely do to multi-box, or are there still quite a few individuals running single characters?

I'm trying to figure out if it's still reasonable to expect interaction, or if the game is basically people masturbating while they rest down from script hunting.

Methais
12-01-2017, 04:51 PM
The only person still playing is Tgo01 and he MA's the entire GS population.

Erous
12-01-2017, 05:36 PM
I'd say it's approximately 50 unique players with the rest being their multi accounts. Many of those multi accounts are interactive, with different personalities...which makes it interesting finding the traits that relate to the original person you knew and going: " ha, that must be a so and so alt"

Mike
12-01-2017, 05:41 PM
...yikes. I can see the appeal of the metagame in figuring out who the proxies are, but ouch. A big part of what made it so fun was the varied people and interactions...

I'd hate to have three distinctly different relationships that are all swaying simultaneously just because their player can't separate IG from OOC.

beldar17
12-01-2017, 05:53 PM
i came back from 15 year absense, started back in september.....so if you wana cyber with some new blood.......

Viekn
12-01-2017, 05:54 PM
I'd say it's approximately 50 unique players with the rest being their multi accounts. Many of those multi accounts are interactive, with different personalities...which makes it interesting finding the traits that relate to the original person you knew and going: " ha, that must be a so and so alt"

You're saying that the GS subscription base is just 50 unique individual people and it's either them or their alts that make up the entire character base?

Erous
12-01-2017, 05:59 PM
You're saying that the GS subscription base is just 50 unique individual people and it's either them or their alts that make up the entire character base?

At first I thought it was closer to 100. But then I joined lnet a couple days ago. One person said they had 14 alts playing, another said that had 6 capped characters running. My character dated someone that had 5 unique female characters all having multiple relationships...some of the boyfriends would come around and spy on me...it was horrible.

Right there that's 25 characters between 3 people and that's not counting tgo!

Taernath
12-01-2017, 06:23 PM
MAing is prevalent but it's not 'there are only 50 people playing' prevalent.

audioserf
12-01-2017, 06:25 PM
I only have one character and one account. It’s how I’ve always played. It’s honestly more cheapness and laziness than anything else but has worked fine for me.

Tgo01
12-01-2017, 06:43 PM
I left the game white a while ago

You pulling a reverse Michael Jackson?

The only person still playing is Tgo01 and he MA's the entire GS population.

Hey I only have 214 accounts.

Mike
12-01-2017, 08:31 PM
You pulling a reverse Michael Jackson

That was the hope, but with only 50 unique players...

Ososis
12-01-2017, 08:57 PM
That was the hope, but with only 50 unique players...
If only there was a way you could play for free to answer your own questions.

Mike
12-01-2017, 09:23 PM
I would, but that would require me to play a stunted version of the game without accessing all of my old characters, lockers, and voln fu

Ososis
12-01-2017, 09:28 PM
I would, but that would require me to play a stunted version of the game without accessing all of my old characters, lockers, and voln fu

But you aren't asking about your old characters, lockers, or voln fu.

azim17
12-01-2017, 09:31 PM
Im with audio - lazy. one char, one account

GS4-Seomanthe
12-01-2017, 10:12 PM
There were 61 GS players on the guest list at Simucon (including 4 from Plat) last year :) Plus 18 GMs who ostensibly count as players? I think the estimates in this thread are a little off.

BLZrizz
12-01-2017, 10:15 PM
Agreed. Per the last Stillfront report that reported specific figures for GS4 (early 2017), the Daily Active User Count was around 1500. Even if you assume the average is 5 accounts per real world player (a conservative top end estimate), that number is still 300.

Here is the link. GS4 Info is on slide 14. http://www.stillfront.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SF-Year-End-16-Report-Presentation.pdf

Viekn
12-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Agreed. Per the last Stillfront report that reported specific figures for GS4 (early 2017), the Daily Active User Count was around 1500. Even if you assume the average is 5 accounts per real world player (a conservative top end estimate), that number is still 300.

Here is the link. GS4 Info is on slide 14. http://www.stillfront.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/SF-Year-End-16-Report-Presentation.pdf

Thank you for having that information and providing it. That is more or less what I knew, which is why I was a bit incredulous when I asked if Erous was implying that there were actually only 50 active users. I knew that couldn't be the case. As we don't have any GM's posting here any more in an official capacity, these types of questions are more accurately answered on the officials or the elanthia forums (https://forums.elanthia.online/).

Erous
12-01-2017, 11:56 PM
Agree, thanks for providing the info. Odd, though that right now there are 400 characters on. At max we reach close to 600 during EG. Where are the other 900? Dormant? Or it's just luck of the draw that so many log on sparingly?

Taernath
12-02-2017, 12:14 AM
Agree, thanks for providing the info. Odd, though that right now there are 400 characters on. At max we reach close to 600 during EG. Where are the other 900? Dormant? Or it's just luck of the draw that so many log on sparingly?

The 1500 figure isn't from the max online per day, it's the total individual accounts that log on over the course of the entire day.

BLZrizz
12-02-2017, 12:27 AM
Here's some more information I pulled from a couple of sites:

Daily active users (DAU) is the total number of users that engage in some way with a web or mobile product on a given day. In most cases, to be considered “active,” users simply have to view or open the product. Web and mobile app businesses typically consider DAU as their primary measure of growth or engagement.

Monthly active users (MAU) is the aggregate sum of daily active users over a period of one month. In most cases, to be considered a “monthly active user,” a person has to open or view an app at least once in the period of one month. The ratio of DAU/MAU is typically a measure of ‘stickiness’ for internet products.

https://amplitude.com/blog/2016/01/14/measuring-active-users/

Perhaps more interestingly:

Of course, the closer to 100% engagement your product has, the better. When it comes to average benchmarks though, the ‘norm’ varies significantly between products, type of engagement, and industry. Look at the DAU/MAU Ratios for companies with a similar type of product or in the same industry.

Sequoia tweeted the standard DAU/MAU ratio is 10-20% with only a handful of companies over 50%.

https://www.geckoboard.com/learn/kpi-examples/startup-kpis/dau-mau-ratio/

Erous
12-02-2017, 12:32 AM
That's still assuming on average 5 accounts per real world player, as noted by Viekn, which I'm hoping is true. But, it's clear there are some that take this game very seriously, and/or, enjoy having multi accounts. The example of 14 may be an extreme...but we just don't know for sure. With that said, 50 may have been way too low. My original guess at 100 I'll stick by being closer to the actual. I think there are some out there with dozens that we simply don't account for. Even going through OTF now there are bot-hordes of 7-8 characters.

Ltlprprincess
12-02-2017, 01:41 AM
So i read this as "single players". GS dating service.

gilchristr
12-02-2017, 01:43 AM
Get your mind out of the gutter ltleprincess

Ltlprprincess
12-02-2017, 01:46 AM
Get your mind out of the gutter ltleprincess

Y u gotta be so rude...

Mike
12-02-2017, 06:57 AM
So i read this as "single players". GS dating service.

I wasn't really sure how to phrase my question to avoid this, though to be fair I put about six seconds into it.

Orthin
12-02-2017, 07:40 AM
I have two accounts but they both aren't active at the same time outside of when my wizard spells up. While I think folks do have +1 accounts on average I do not think they are all running at the same time. To me it's no different than having 5 characters on one account, I may play them all and all differently but they have their sole focuses.

Some folks will be rolling hunting teams out but I think most people with MA aren't on both or all of them together 100% of the time

Beniah
12-02-2017, 08:27 AM

Most of us have jobs. Some have family. A few have other interests. Not every character is logged in 24/7 or even close to that.

Ltlprprincess
12-02-2017, 09:15 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/20djlf.jpg

Taernath
12-02-2017, 09:36 AM
Even going through OTF now there are bot-hordes of 7-8 characters.

I wouldn't use OTF deathsquads as the baseline for determining MAing statistics. I have characters in most towns and I almost never see them elsewhere, usually it's just an invisible wizard hanging around TC, sitting at a table, or only logging in to cast spells then logging off.

Erous
12-02-2017, 11:19 AM
I'm not quite sure why people are taking offense to my opinion on the overall playerbase and multi accounting. It's just my observation and could very well be a wrong one, which some have gone ahead and posted census numbers against. On the other hand, others have attested to multi accounting. I think in all reality we simply don't know, I was just posting to the fact that I have witnessed multi accounting with multi personalities both in game and via lnet.

With that said, I'm not against it. If you are offended by my observation, then that's on you. I only have the time and personality to run one full time character. If you have the patience, personality and time to do so then have at it. You shouldn't be offended by any means.

Taernath
12-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Nobody's offended by your opinion dude, we're just pointing out why the idea there are only 50-100 people playing GS isn't realistic.

Erous
12-02-2017, 11:42 AM
Nobody's offended by your opinion dude, we're just pointing out why the idea there are only 50-100 people playing GS isn't realistic.

I'm glad you're not...my red rep disagrees! :D

Viekn
12-02-2017, 12:32 PM

I'll second this. I disagreed with your opinion, but I certainly wasn't offended and it definitely didn't warrant any red rep. The rep system here really is out of whack. The only rep that should exist is in regards to someone's standing as a merchant.

Mike
12-02-2017, 12:47 PM
https://i.imgflip.com/20djlf.jpg

You're my favorite now.

I'll second this. I disagreed with your opinion, but I certainly wasn't offended and it definitely didn't warrant any red rep. The rep system here really is out of whack. The only rep that should exist is in regards to someone's standing as a merchant.

Right? Seven years ago, people thought I was enough of a douche to warrant all of my red bubbles.

The system is clearly broken.

Vusit
12-02-2017, 01:12 PM
Two accounts, maybe play 3 characters on the regular.

Mike
12-02-2017, 04:01 PM
We'll, worst case it's $40 wasted, yeah?

Could be worse.

Candor
12-02-2017, 06:44 PM
While I have multiple characters, most of them are simply watchers in the various towns for any special events. One or two characters are largely extra locker space. I would guess that over 95% of my time is spent with one character.

Methais
12-02-2017, 07:37 PM
You're my favorite now.

Right? Seven years ago, people thought I was enough of a douche to warrant all of my red bubbles.

The system is clearly broken.

Fixed.

Who did you play? I forgot. Game is fine btw. Except for the wizard nerfs. Fuck those and Estild's shitty ideas. But other than that...

https://i.imgur.com/bDnPcxV.gif

Mike
12-02-2017, 07:59 PM
Fixed.

Who did you play? I forgot. Game is fine btw. Except for the wizard nerfs. Fuck those and Estild's shitty ideas. But other than that...

https://i.imgur.com/bDnPcxV.gif

...a wizard. What are these nerfs you speak of!? Better not have fucked with my haste!

audioserf
12-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Oh my sweet summer child...

Tgo01
12-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Better not have fucked with my haste!

You might want to take a seat.

Mike
12-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Oh for fuck's sake. I can't even be a shitty THW mage with 1 RT now!?

EDIT...the only thing that has hurt me more than finding this out, is the thought that one green rep containing the word "penis" has completely shifted me from full red to full green rep. God damnit all. Coming back was clearly a mistake!

BLZrizz
12-02-2017, 09:34 PM
The haste changes addressed mostly its use on non-native casters. The rest is still as it was, with some additional lore training.

Methais
12-03-2017, 04:35 AM
The haste changes addressed mostly its use on non-native casters. The rest is still as it was, with some additional lore training.

Still a huge nerf from what it was especially with it effectively being split into two spells.

Penis.

dex
12-10-2017, 07:39 PM
One char, one account here. Don't get the appeal of playing a schizophrenia simulator.

Gelston
12-11-2017, 12:27 AM
I have -3 accounts, so it helps the numbers some.

Methais
12-11-2017, 12:51 PM
One char, one account here. Don't get the appeal of playing a schizophrenia simulator.

Isn’t GS in general a schizophrenia simulator?

Wrathbringer
12-11-2017, 01:13 PM
Isn’t GS in general a schizophrenic cyber simulator?

fixed

Zarston
12-11-2017, 05:11 PM

I know we are, but what am I?

Erous
12-11-2017, 05:31 PM

So I'm not alone...I mean, we..WE are not alone

Nateysaurus
01-02-2018, 04:53 PM
I’ve been playing on and off for years, and have only ever played one character on one account.

Ploobar
01-09-2018, 02:59 PM
Been playing since the early AOHHell days. I've one account, one character, always have, always will.

SylphSorc
02-01-2018, 11:27 PM
I have always been curious about this. One account, but I always have had several characters. Usually on premium, but there have been lean times I was on basic + 1 extra character. I need at least two or I will end up getting bored.

Ysb
02-06-2018, 05:24 PM
On and off for years, but always one account, and usually just one character.

SpiffyJr
02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
I've had many accounts but only one active at a time. I usually only play one character at a time. For the last few years that's primarily been Kips.

Avaia
02-12-2018, 08:09 PM
One account. One character at a time.

Avaia(obviously), has been my main for a long time. I do have a serious case of altitis, so Ranger/Rogue/Wizard/Cleric/Monk/Empath/Warrior/Paladin/Bard(so far) do get playing time. That will taper off eventually, I'm sure, as once you get to the mid-range of levels, the grind becomes very real.

Methais
02-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Avaia(obviously), has been my main for a long time.

Liar. Everyone knows you play Jeril.

Avaia
02-14-2018, 10:55 PM
Liar. Everyone knows you play Jeril.

Shhh....