PDA

View Full Version : Is it AFK scripting? Your thoughts.

Weedmage Princess
09-12-2003, 11:44 AM
I just had a very interesting discussion with a buddy of mine in IMs, and it raised a question.

We were talking about AFK scripting warnings...is it really fair to receive a warning if you're AT the computer, but doing something else?

My argument was that yes, it is fair to receive a warning if you're at the computer but doing something else. You're supposed to be attentive in the game, and if you're not, you shouldn't be able to gain any benefits. (i.e., ranks, experience, tasks completed, etc)

His argument is what if you're running say, a guild script, or something of the like...and you happen to open up your browser say, just to check something..or read the official boards (or in our case, Player's Corner) ...you're not "technically" AWAY FROM the KEYBOARD (afk), you're there, just momentarily glancing off at something else..and you have the misfortune of a GM watching you while you're typing out a response.

I thought he had a valid point there...and so I'm swaying a little. The reasonable side of me agrees with him, but I still feel that you should be AT the screen, watching what you do. If you want to take that chance, fine...but if you get caught, gotta pay the piper. What do you all think?

Tendarian
09-12-2003, 11:47 AM
I think it is still afk as the GMs would have no way to prove it. Else every scripter was just glancing for a second. And im not being hollier than thou since i script and sometimes im afk,like right this second.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 11:48 AM
I have been script hunting all this past week. Hence my immense post count now. It is on in the background, I turn it off when I leave the computer, and resume it upon my return. Basically, if you are unable to respond at any time, it pretty much means you are AFK for gemstone, even if you are at the Keyboard. A simpler way perhaps of looking at it is saying, "Am I right to get banned if I slept at my keyboard for two days while a script was left running?"

CrystalTears
09-12-2003, 11:49 AM
You should be attentive of the GAME, not the computer. I can unplug my keyboard and walk around with it and say I was never away from my keyboard, the term is not literal, just meaning you need to be there attentive to the game. If you need to leave longer than any certain amount of time, go to a secluded spot and don't move.

Going on an AFK tangent, I noticed that GSIV will have a new verb called DAYDREAM, which you use when you're AFK and when you look at them, you seem them asleep.Thought that was rather interesting.

Revalos
09-12-2003, 11:53 AM
It is simply semantics. AFK means AFG...away from game. I'd say a good of AFK scripting is done with the user still at the keyboard, but just doing something else. Heck, sometimes they could actually be playing another of their characters.

Edaarin
09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
If you just tile your windows vertically, it solves most problems. I've been scripting subdue for about 30 ranks (except critters), haven't had a hitch.

Tsa`ah
09-12-2003, 01:05 PM
I scripted through the rogues’ guild even when it was first deemed a no no.

I occasionally script long trips.

Each and every time I have scripted I have made the effort to pay attention to what is going on in game. I'm no innocent; I've read mail, viewed pages, done things away from the pc (bathroom, drink, etc.). I have always checked the game window every other minute when doing something else.

To get a warning for afk scripting means you weren't really paying attention. And that is a bad thing and deserving warning.

Adhara
09-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Yep I agree with everyone who posted. If you're not there to immediately respond to a GM or anyone who talks to you for that matter, then it falls under illegal scripting and should be punished accordingly. I have scripted cobbling all the way to master and every minute of it I was watching the screen. As Edaarin said, if I played another char, I would split windows. If I wanted to read the boards, I'd reduce the window size to make sure I could see the script. Some skills are tedious to get. I'm sure guild skills are especially tedious. Being able to script through them is a great workaround and relieves the boredom as you read/post somewhere else.

If you take a chance, even for a minute, you pay the consequences. Like going over the driving limit for just 2 minutes and being caught at that time. You can't say, "Oh come on officer, I respected the law for the entire trip except for those 2 minutes!!" Nope it doesn't work that way.

Edit: Gah a typo in Edaarin's name

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by Adhara]

Sweets
09-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Ditto. If you aren't paying attention...it's afk.

Artha
09-12-2003, 05:00 PM
If you're not paying attention, it's the same as being gone.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Heh. I would call it AFK, as well. Looks like everyone agrees! :D

HarmNone is at her keyboard

Gokkem
09-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Policy clearly states that looking away for even 1 min while scripting is against the rules. Have I dont it? Sure especially for forging and guild scripts. But bottom line; if a GM sees you and <sends> you and you don't answer, you are most likely gonna be in the cell when you come back; it don't matter if your mom died you violated policy.

Solkern
09-12-2003, 07:58 PM
I say who gives a shit, if you wanna script afk then do it

Betheny
09-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Within reason...

You should be given one or two tries to respond.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
Within reason...

You should be given one or two tries to respond.

As I have understood it, that was always the way it was done. Heck, some of the GMs will have rats run up your leg, or other really comical things happen. They do not just arbitrarily axe you for scripting. They will give you several chances to respond.

HarmNone

Betheny
09-12-2003, 08:08 PM
I've always caught being 'checked on' on the first try, and it usually consists of Elbrion asking me if my hunt is going well. Every time, actually.

Solkern
09-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Fuck the GMs, I say run Gs3/4 with NO gms, chaos, panic and disorder, always make things a bit more fun

ElanthianSiren
09-13-2003, 05:24 PM
If I'm gonna script, I tend to open up the project I'm working on in notepad (generally consists of spellists or whatever for another game) and watch the FE to my left.

I don't consider it AFK, but I know that there are some GMs who would, so I make sure to cover my bases. I think that's the general way to do things in GS because I've seen some pretty ridiculous stuff go down. Fairness and right and wrong have no bearing really in this discussion. It's more "What covers my ass and what doesn't."

-Melissa

HarmNone
09-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Solkern
Fuck the GMs, I say run Gs3/4 with NO gms, chaos, panic and disorder, always make things a bit more fun

That may be what you define as fun. It is not fun for everyone.

GemStone Shattered, should they ever get it going, should give you exactly what you are looking for. :)

HarmNone

ElanthianSiren
09-13-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Solkern
I say who gives a shit, if you wanna script afk then do it

I don't care if you script AFK. Just don't kill my critters (ie RUN SMART SCRIPTS). People play GS for different reasons. I will run a script so I don't have to type in all the repetative BS. Some people run scripts to get old fast. More power to you.

-Melissa