PDA

View Full Version : giving gear to new players hurts their experience

Luftstreitkräfte
11-08-2017, 09:56 PM
I've been thinking about this..

I think the whole microtransaction and merchant side of gemstone hurts new players. Let them struggle for that fucking 4x broadsword. It creates a bigger sense of accomplishment.

cwolff
11-08-2017, 10:12 PM
That's cool if you solo hunt. Its kind of a bitch when your lvl 15 hunting partner shows up with a +20 claid or an e bow.

I get what you're saying and I used to play that way. Got frustrated trying to keep up with the Joneses

dex
11-08-2017, 10:16 PM
I have tried both, first time working for it, and then starting at the very top. I've enjoyed the second time around much more.

Kalishar
11-09-2017, 11:17 AM
I've been thinking about this..

I think the whole microtransaction and merchant side of gemstone hurts new players. Let them struggle for that fucking 4x broadsword. It creates a bigger sense of accomplishment.

If a new player gets a handle on how to hunt/absorb xp that fucking 4x broadsword isn't that much of a struggle anymore. When I came back after a decade long hiatus I had enough silver to buy said fucking 4x broadsword in 2 days. I imagine a completely new player could do that in about a week in today's game.

I wonder if there's ever been a topic that you created that I haven't wanted to neg rep.

Taernath
11-09-2017, 11:20 AM
I had a bigger sense of accomplishment finally being able to hunt hill trolls than I did struggling to afford a camouflage vultite broadsword.

MotleyCrew
11-10-2017, 04:12 AM
I've been thinking..I think.

There's the whole problem with this thread right there.

Tgo01
11-10-2017, 04:47 AM
It takes like minutes to earn enough to buy vultite gear these days.

I wipe my ass with a million silvers.

drauz
11-10-2017, 05:19 AM

You wipe your ass with $5?!

Richie Rich over here!

SonoftheNorth
11-10-2017, 05:29 AM

I was gonna become a patreon but I guess you don't need it!!!

Tgo01
11-10-2017, 05:51 AM
You wipe your ass with $5?!

Richie Rich over here!

:(

I was gonna become a patreon but I guess you don't need it!!!

:(:(

Gelston
11-10-2017, 06:16 AM

I think you've watched enough Donald Trump videos for today.

kutter
11-12-2017, 03:47 PM
This thread brought back some memories. When I first started, must have been around '98 and I was just a dumb little rogue not even 6 trains yet, someone gave me a royal purple imflass broadsword, I could not even hold it, but I treasured it and still have it in a locker. My point though was it was a HUGE deal at that time, then a friend bought me a lightning flaring rolaren backsowrd when I made 10 and the world changed again!

Fast forward to now, I cannot give away 4X superior handaxes, no one even wants them, so they go to the pawn, guess it is just a sign of the times.

Ososis
11-12-2017, 09:56 PM
This thread brought back some memories. When I first started, must have been around '98 and I was just a dumb little rogue not even 6 trains yet, someone gave me a royal purple imflass broadsword, I could not even hold it, but I treasured it and still have it in a locker. My point though was it was a HUGE deal at that time, then a friend bought me a lightning flaring rolaren backsowrd when I made 10 and the world changed again!

Fast forward to now, I cannot give away 4X superior handaxes, no one even wants them, so they go to the pawn, guess it is just a sign of the times.

I'll buy you 4x superiors for 35k, then let them linger in my shop. Need to flush out my wares. Should be almost double pawn value iirc.

kutter
11-16-2017, 12:03 AM
I'll buy you 4x superiors for 35k, then let them linger in my shop. Need to flush out my wares. Should be almost double pawn value iirc.

As soon as I get my desktop set back up and start forging again I will let you know.