PDA

View Full Version : spear, perfect w/ flares or weighting preferred

SpiffyJr
09-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Any out there? Considering swapping to shield/polearm from UAC on my halfling warrior.

Comodus
09-05-2017, 10:12 AM
UAC sucks doesn't it?

Gizmo
09-05-2017, 10:31 AM
Get a trident Spiffy, not a spear...Especially with a smaller race.

The higher AvD against Plate armors is better than the measly .01 difference in DF imo.

They are double the weight of spears, but offer everything a spear does at a better AvD. Plus it's not difficult to get it max lightened.

Maerit
09-05-2017, 12:14 PM
Plus, you can do what I do on my polearm halfling. Get some kind of "pitch fork", then dye it silvery, and your halfling now hunts with a fork! Stabbing things with a bright silvery vultite fork is very satisfying as a halfling.

SpiffyJr
09-05-2017, 01:05 PM
UAC sucks doesn't it?

No, but I do lose out on some benefits of warrior. Most noticeably berserk. The +20 from no weapon spec/bonding is annoying too. Been UAC for 40'ish levels and I want to try something new.

SpiffyJr
09-05-2017, 01:06 PM
Get a trident Spiffy, not a spear...Especially with a smaller race.

The higher AvD against Plate armors is better than the measly .01 difference in DF imo.

They are double the weight of spears, but offer everything a spear does at a better AvD. Plus it's not difficult to get it max lightened.

Tridents look nice too. I figured no one forges them, though, because of the extra round time.

Gizmo
09-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Tridents look nice too. I figured no one forges them, though, because of the extra round time.

They have the same roundtime as a one handed spear ;)

Unless you mean forge roundtime, then yeah...That and no one really ever forges tridents or is asked to forge them lol

gilchristr
09-05-2017, 02:44 PM
For a long time the gswiki listed a longer roundtime for tridents in one handed mode than spears in one handed mode. But as already mentioned its the same, the wiki was corrected.

If you already are going to use a 2H polearm on plate, then I would choose tridents over spears. If you need a single weapon to deal with everything cause of bonding or something, then I might look at spears.

There is a snake flaring trident out there somewhere. Sadly it was the damage over time poison instead of the rooting poison. I used it for a bit on storm giants, had a bug where the flares would always hit the left hand... Hopefully that big got fixed.

SpiffyJr
09-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Yea, I meant the forging roundtime.

Stunseed
09-05-2017, 04:38 PM
There's an ECW trident around I sold into circulation like 18 months ago. It was pretty fun to swing, though spears are pretty enjoyable as well.

One of the old elven boar spears would be a fine acquisition.

tyvorheas
09-06-2017, 09:03 AM
I got that ECW trident and it is super fun to poke eyes out with!