Agility (AGI): 80
Discipline (DIS): 80
Aura (AUR): 70
Logic (LOG): 70
Intuition (INT): 50
Wisdom (WIS): 50
Influence (INF): 40

current:

Name: Psylen Race: Half-Elf Profession: Rogue (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 81 (15) ... 81 (15)
Constitution (CON): 60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Dexterity (DEX): 81 (20) ... 81 (20)
Agility (AGI): 81 (25) ... 81 (25)
Discipline (DIS): 80 (10) ... 80 (10)
Aura (AUR): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Logic (LOG): 70 (10) ... 70 (10)
Intuition (INT): 51 (0) ... 51 (0)
Wisdom (WIS): 50 (0) ... 50 (0)
Influence (INF): 41 (1) ... 41 (1)
Mana: 5 Silver: 46

Psylen (at level 2), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 15 3
Combat Maneuvers...................| 30 6
Polearm Weapons....................| 30 6
Ambush.............................| 30 6
Physical Fitness...................| 25 5
Dodging............................| 25 5
Stalking and Hiding................| 30 6
Perception.........................| 30 6
Pickpocketing......................| 40 8
Training Points: 19 Phy 64 Mnt

Ok, so I'm obviously going for a polearm ambushing rogue. Currently my AS is nice, around 50ish (little lower). My RT is 6 second regular swing, 9 seconds ambush. That actually seems a bit odd to me (though most of my experience was back in GS3, GS4 is half a month new to me). I have 45 bonus in dex and agi, which means... 15x3, and in GS3, 15 bonus in those two = -1 RT. So I should be getting about -3 to my RT, if this stayed the same in GS4. Not completely sure, but I remember lances having a 7 or 8 RT, which means I should at most have a 5 second RT in regular swing (again, maybe that changed).

Question involves a couple things. First, I was a big fan of polearms (lances particularly) in GS3, though trip is now a cman (fine fine, I'll train it up). Are ambushing rogues viable? My old lance user was a warrior, so there was no need to worry about ambushing. I think with this character, I'm going for the dirty thief ambusher specializing in either a) lances, b) double daggers, or c) double (can you?) katanas. I found my TPs weren't enough to train in edged + THW + TWC, at least not with training ambush/hide, and regardless, I wasn't sure if you could dual wield katanas (would be nice though! if I could find where they sell them.).

So I guess I want some advice on stat placement, and also, is lance ambushing viable? Does it get faster after I train off double leathers (i assume doublet is double leathers)? Can you dual wield katanas? I love the power of the lance (claihds just aren't my style), love the thought of dual wielding katanas (don't even care if I'm as good as everyone else), and will go with double daggers if all else fails.

Thanks for any advice!

-Rad

[Edited on 1-14-2005 by Rad]

Stunseed
01-14-2005, 12:04 AM
Can't ambush with a Lance.

Mini-Spir
01-14-2005, 12:05 AM
You cannot ambush with a two-handed pole arm. (Lance) Pole-arm rogues are a waste IMO.

You do not need OHE/TWC if you have THW. A THW ambushing rogue is very powerful.

Rad
01-14-2005, 12:11 AM
You thrust with a lance at a giant rat!
AS: +43 vs DS: -6 with AvD: +35 + d100 roll: +96 = +180
... and hit for 83 points of damage!
Solid strike caves the giant rat's skull in, resulting in instant death!
The giant rat collapses to the ground, emits a final squeal, and dies.
Roundtime: 9 sec.

I just did O.o Does that mean my "ambush" was just an attack from being hidden? And not an aimed attack?

Well that would just ruin my whole lance idea =P

As far as katanas go, I would like to duel wield katanas (or say... katana right hand, dagger left hand). Are either of these possible? If so, where can I buy a katana =P

*edit* nevermind on the ambushing with a lance. You "leap from hidding" when ambushing, and I just unhid myself and attacked when I tried to ambush. Thanks for the info :)

[Edited on 1-14-2005 by Rad]

01-14-2005, 12:47 AM
dual wielding using a katana sucks.. the training required to do all that, + THW is not really possible, I think I tried it in the past and just decided to stick with TWC/OHE..

THW rogue ambusher is nice, very powerful.
TWC/OHE rogue is viable, but most people do TWC for style points..

I wield a falchion/shortsword, and at level 30 drop 100 - 300 damage using a focused mstrike.. the weapons flare..

so, up to you exactly what you wanna do, but here's a few pointers

you either hide/ambush + twc/ohe or pick + twc/ohe, can't do both, because there aren't enough points, and at later levels you will want redux and more dodging..

This is my current plan, and it's working well @ level 30. I need to spend the next two levels catching up my 3x dodge, TWC and OHE training, because I spent more points to get focused mstrike and chain armor. But I can take alot of punishement now, so it's worth it..

Two Weapon Combat..................| 157 57
Armor Use..........................| 130 35
Combat Maneuvers...................| 120 30
Edged Weapons......................| 157 57
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 120 30
Physical Fitness...................| 160 60
Dodging............................| 182 82
Arcane Symbols.....................| 50 10
Harness Power......................| 10 2
Disarming Traps....................| 160 60
Picking Locks......................| 160 60
Perception.........................| 160 60
Climbing...........................| 70 15
Swimming...........................| 70 15
Trading............................| 70 15

(level 0 stats, elf)
Strength (STR): 80
Constitution (CON): 60
Dexterity (DEX): 85
Agility (AGI): 80
Discipline (DIS): 60
Aura (AUR): 60
Logic (LOG): 65
Intuition (INT): 60
Wisdom (WIS): 75
Influence (INF): 35

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Hamstring hamstring 2
Precision precision 1
Specialization II wspec2 2
Surge of Strength surge 3

surge is a great CMAN to learn, hamstring is better at later ranks, and you use both weapons to do it, when you dual wield.

Rad
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Ok, new plan.

2x in THW

striving to save up for a katana one day (is it that much better than a claidh?). Lots of points left over. So the question is...

Can you dual wield katanas (or a katana + dagger/short sword)? If so, I'll save up. If not, I'll go ahead and pick up spells every 2-3 ranks. Thanks again :)

Stunseed
01-14-2005, 12:53 AM
< Can you dual wield katanas >

No.

Rad
01-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Completely forgot about focused MStrike. I imagine that would be killer with dual wielding!

Thanks for the info. I'm sitting here trying to decide whether to go THW with a claid until I can afford a katana, or TWC with a nice sword + dagger, or two daggers (I just think killing stuff with a couple daggers is cool haha). OR I could go TWC+edged+brawling for dual katars. Sigh. Lots of choices, but I guess that's what makes it fun for me :)

I could afford mstrike with THW and/or TWC+edged, but probably can't with edged+TWC+Brawling. Who knows, I need to go find one of those stat cruncher programs =P

01-14-2005, 01:44 AM
heh, good luck.. I prefer OHE's cause there are more higher enchant/weighted, etc. ones out there...

ignor the katanas.. at least a standard claid has a 0 AS vs the -20 as of katanas. Also, you can swing a claid in 6 seconds with the right stats..

I would imagine a THW rogue with 3x dodging and massive redux would be great.
If you are going TWC and can afford it, Katar's are really good versus most armor.. best brawler's out there..

if you roll up a new TWC rogue, use the 30 day migration time to figure out what you wanna do.. that's all.. you should get a pretty good idea by level 8 how things will pan out..

Rad
01-14-2005, 09:20 AM
just got a katana (quested) and I love it! I can see this thing doing some massive damage, esspecially when I start getting better at ambushing. I'll probably at least try training what I need to dual wield it before my 30 days are up, but using it two handed is definitely nice.

Fengus
01-14-2005, 02:06 PM
Its already been said you cannot dual wield a katana. As far as I know you cannot dual any weapon that you can change grip on, which I guess is mainly the katana and bastard sword

Katanas are not better than claids, they are heavily weighted, which is about 9-11, claids are off the scale at 40. Now because of that the GMs may be more willing to release magic katanas which help greatly since the enchant of a weapon is taken into consideration with parry.

Also a correction, or clarification, you can swing a claid in 5s, and you can ambush with it in 6s.

01-14-2005, 02:14 PM
didn't know a claid could be swung in 5 seconds.. in any case, you can dual wield with a katana in the right hand, but it just eats up training points to do all that

edited to say ^ you can't dual wield TWO katanas, if that's what you were asking.

[Edited on 1-14-2005 by lucene]

Artha
01-14-2005, 05:48 PM
You should buy my rogue. Level 40, wonderful THW rogue.

Rad
01-14-2005, 05:55 PM
^ well that would just rip the fun right out of it.

Stunseed
01-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Especially since he comes with a man purse. :no:

Artha
01-14-2005, 06:17 PM
^ well that would just rip the fun right out of it.

No way, level 40 is a blast.