PDA

View Full Version : Bad Childhood!

09-12-2003, 12:48 AM
Since we have a thread about good childhood memories going already... what are your worst childhood memories?

One of mine would have to be ISS (In School Suspention) when I was in fourth grade. We went to school in a very old building and the upstairs was decaying and you could smell the bat droppings and mildew in the walls. I had to go up stairs... through a class of 8th graders, in the sweltering heat (the ISS Officer/Study Hall Teacher kept the radiator on full blast all the time) to a back section of the room divided off from the rest of the class by a wall and further divided by four sided particleboard partitions. We got ONE bathroom break during the day, no matter if we got sick or not. If we talked, even to ourselves, we got an extra day. If we finished our work, she'd determine by the clock how far we had to copy in the encyclopedia and if we didn't finish in time, we got another day. They'd BRING our lunch and it was always half spilled and nasty... and I am absolutely certain now that the conditions there were illegal. I just didn't know to report them then.

I used to wish I'd die in my sleep the night before ISS.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 12:51 AM
When they cancelled He-Man.
When Optimus Prime died.
When the Stone Roses split up.

09-12-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
When they cancelled He-Man.
When Optimus Prime died.
When the Stone Roses split up.

I agree with the first one. Skeletor rocked.

I preferred the Decepticons.

Who's the Stone Roses?

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 12:53 AM
A band.

peam
09-12-2003, 12:58 AM

When Optimus Prime died.

:no:

My worst memories are whenever I'd get in trouble at school. My Dad used to stress how important school was every three seconds, still does actually. Whenever I'd get in trouble I'd feel like I let him down so bad.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 01:00 AM
My Dad was very similar Peam. It got to the point where I would zone out during one of his lectures. It was most gratifying to thrust my grade paper into his face at graduation, after he told me I'd fail.

09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
My Dad was very similar Peam. It got to the point where I would zone out during one of his lectures. It was most gratifying to thrust my grade paper into his face at graduation, after he told me I'd fail.

It truly amazes me to see how different my childhood was from so many others. Admittedly, I envy many of the memories, but not those. My mom was a total freak with me when I was in 3rd grade until I basically let her know in no uncertain terms that I refused to allow school to make me unhappy. After that she slacked off and let me coast.

Who me
09-12-2003, 01:14 AM
My worst childhood memory is the time I fell out of a moving car (I was 10)... yes it sounds funny but it really isn't when you think about it.

We were driving home from the mall; it was my brother, mother and me in the car. Evidently I didn't close my door properly and it swung open and out I went. I went tumbling into the other lane missing a truck by about 2 feet. (Luckily the driver saw me fly out and stopped) At the time I was so scared that my mom was going to leave me on the highway that I just jumped up and started limping towards my mothers car. Later on that day after getting checked by a doctor and having all this fuss made about me did I realize that if I was any closer to that truck, I probably wouldn't be here by now.

Lesson: Always close your door properly and lock them before driving away. :P

Scott
09-12-2003, 01:19 AM
<<Lesson: Always close your door properly and lock them before driving away.>>

And wear your seatbelt.....

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeesh, Amy, that is a frightening story! We can be thankful that you survived. Your poor mother must have been terrified. I shudder to think how I would have felt if my child had fallen from a moving car.

HarmNone is glad you survived

09-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Who me
My worst childhood memory is the time I fell out of a moving car (I was 10)... yes it sounds funny but it really isn't when you think about it.

We were driving home from the mall; it was my brother, mother and me in the car. Evidently I didn't close my door properly and it swung open and out I went. I went tumbling into the other lane missing a truck by about 2 feet. (Luckily the driver saw me fly out and stopped) At the time I was so scared that my mom was going to leave me on the highway that I just jumped up and started limping towards my mothers car. Later on that day after getting checked by a doctor and having all this fuss made about me did I realize that if I was any closer to that truck, I probably wouldn't be here by now.

Lesson: Always close your door properly and lock them before driving away. :P

Good thing you survived Aims, or I may have never had MY first kiss. :smilegrin:

Who me
09-12-2003, 01:30 AM
[/quote]

Good thing you survived Aims, or I may have never had MY first kiss. :smilegrin: [/quote]

I'm glad I could pass my knowledge and "technique" on that subject to a clean slate. :smug:

Teehee!

09-12-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Who me

Good thing you survived Aims, or I may have never had MY first kiss. :smilegrin: [/quote]

I'm glad I could pass my knowledge and "technique" on that subject to a clean slate. :smug:

Teehee! [/quote]

Teehee. :smilegrin: I'm blushin'.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 01:39 AM
I feel sick.

Drew2
09-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Oh boy.. worst childhood memory... hmm...

Well I'm assuming that 'childhood' means before teenage years, so I'll stick with this one. I think I wasn't a teenager yet... anyways...

My step-uncle was spending the night after drinking too much and having to sleep over as to not drive home wasted. So him and my step-father come upstairs and my uncle is about to just crash on the couch I think until my step-father suggests he take my bed. Of course, I copmlained slightly. (But being afraid of my step-father, 'slightly' would be probably one or two words with a frown). We lived in a 5 bedroom house... but of course in that family I got the shaft. Always. Period. So anyway, apparently I said too much, because he told me to go downstairs and wait for him, then came downstairs, drunk, threw me across his bedroom, slapped me around a bit, then held be my my neck against the wall saying that he hated me and if i ever told anyone what he did to me he'd 'rip my fucking head off'.

Needless to say, no one was ever told until my mother divorced and he had a restraining order put on him.

imported_Kranar
09-12-2003, 01:44 AM
When I was in the 4th grade, we'd all read a paragraph from a book. Well I couldn't really read and so I was laughed at hardcore.

Boy that felt so freaking bad and humiliating... but in retrospect it was good because it was when I realized I was a pretty stupid kid and needed to start taking education seriously.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 01:57 AM
Oh, Tayre. Hearing things like that just breaks my heart. I am so glad you got away from that horrible man. You deserve better. All children deserve better, dammit!

Hugs, Tayre...big ones!

HarmNone

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 01:59 AM
Kranar, your post stopped me cold! I cannot imagine you ever believing that you were stupid. Your intellect shines in every post you make here. I guess we can all be thankful that you got that wakeup call, eh? :D

HarmNone thinks Kranar is pretty darned smart

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:01 AM
I guess the worst thing I can remember from my childhood is seeing a dog hit by a car. I was so devastated I ran home from the bus stop and could not go to school. My mother heard me screaming a block away. She spent the rest of the day comforting me, reading to me, and just letting me cry out the grief.

HarmNone was a very lucky child

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 02:02 AM
: / Thats harsh hun *hugs*

09-12-2003, 02:03 AM
I had two horrible things involving cats. When I was 5, I was in my uncle's wielding shop and he was working and showing me how make a rifle barrel. I was like, "Okay..." Anyway, there was a huge industrial fan he had sitting on the floor blowing into the shop and a pretty lil yellow tabby wandered in. I don't know what the hell made it do it, but it jumped into the fan, which was unguarded. The blades were steel, and basically shreaded it to pieces.

The second was when I was riding in the car with my aunt and she ran over a cat... we stopped and the cat's lower body was basically plastered to the ground and it was screaming, trying to get up but it couldn't.

She killed it by beating it with the head in a brick. I wanted to kill her so bad for what she did... but it was an accident and she was doing what was best for the cat... but I hated her for a year over that.

Also, I had a lil terrier when I was in 5th grade... and she'd always meet me when I came home on the bus and follow me home. One day I was sick and didn't think I could handle the 2 hour bus ride. I called my aunt and had her come pick me up... well, it ended up taking her a long while to get there and when I came home I found that the bus had stopped, and she had been sniffing at the wheel when it started going and ran over her head, killing her.

She figured I hadn't gotten off yet, so it couldn't be about to move.

I felt so bad after that... she was my only friend at the time.

Drew2
09-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Oh, Tayre. Hearing things like that just breaks my heart. I am so glad you got away from that horrible man. You deserve better. All children deserve better, dammit!

Hugs, Tayre...big ones!

HarmNone

I feel even more sorry for my 9 year old half-brother. When he was about 7 he watched his father force his way into our house and beat our mother half to death.

And he still loves the bastard.

Drew2
09-12-2003, 02:05 AM
I guess the worst thing I can remember from my childhood is seeing a dog hit by a car. I was so devastated I ran home from the bus stop and could not go to school. My mother heard me screaming a block away. She spent the rest of the day comforting me, reading to me, and just letting me cry out the grief.

HarmNone was a very lucky child

Your innocence is disgustingly adorable.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:06 AM
::HarmNone shudders at the thought of so many children living with abuse::

I am sorry. For each and every one of you, I am so very sorry. The mother in me wishes I could make it up to you somehow. It hurts me that you were so hurt.

Children are a precious gift. Each is as valuable as the next. I cannot understand how any parent, or educator for that matter, could fail to see this.

HarmNone, whose children are grown, but still very dear

GS4Gurl
09-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by Tayre

I feel even more sorry for my 9 year old half-brother. When he was about 7 he watched his father force his way into our house and beat our mother half to death.

And he still loves the bastard.

That is horrible, Tayre. It's a shame some men can't/won't control their anger.

09-12-2003, 02:09 AM
::HarmNone shudders at the thought of so many children living with abuse::

I am sorry. For each and every one of you, I am so very sorry. The mother in me wishes I could make it up to you somehow. It hurts me that you were so hurt.

Children are a precious gift. Each is as valuable as the next. I cannot understand how any parent, or educator for that matter, could fail to see this.

HarmNone, whose children are grown, but still very dear

My father beat the hell out of my mother constantly until he finally beat her so bad she ended up in the hospital.

My family from SC came and moved mom and me while my dad was MIA. I never saw him after that. I was very young, but probably my earliest memory is of seeing my mother's face covered in blood from where he had broken her nose and of the hospital pillow stained with her blood... she brought it home after she was released.

09-12-2003, 02:11 AM
Oh, my dad was supposedly really great too. But he, too, was on drugs. First and foremost was supposedly cocaine, but I didn't know Cocaine made people violent. ::shrugs::

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Your innocence is disgustingly adorable.

::HarmNone smiles at Tayre::

Innocence withers in the face of experience, Tayre. I have held in my arms infants who have been beaten to death by their parents. I have seen bones broken, teeth knocked out, children bleeding and screaming in pain.

Seeing it and knowing it does not decrease my disgust for those who would harm a child. It only increases it tenfold.

HarmNone

GS4Gurl
09-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage
Oh, my dad was supposedly really great too. But he, too, was on drugs. First and foremost was supposedly cocaine, but I didn't know Cocaine made people violent. ::shrugs::

My dad liked heroine. Not sure that I even spelled that right but yeah something like that. :looks for Bob:

Drew2
09-12-2003, 02:13 AM
Ok well your childhood innocence then.

That's just.. horrible.

09-12-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by GS4Gurl

Originally posted by Demon Lord Kage

My dad liked heroine. Not sure that I even spelled that right but yeah something like that. :looks for Bob:

Yeah, it's heroin. That'll mess you up hard core.

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by Demon Lord Kage]

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 02:18 AM
Heroin, I believe. Heroine is a female hero.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:19 AM
For each of you I offer my sincere congratulations. You have come through great hardship, and you were not old enough to bear such hardship...yet, you did.

Because you have known pain, you know the damage it can do. You know the hurt, and how long it lasts. Your children will not have to suffer this horror, because you know.

Love them with everything you have. I can tell you from experience, it comes back to you a million times over.

HarmNone loves her children above all else

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:31 AM
I hope you have them, hon. Your little girl is beautiful. I know you will love her unconditionally, and she will return your love. They have a wonderful way of doing that. ;)

HarmNone knows how very lucky she is

DCSL
09-12-2003, 02:33 AM
Hm... well, there are alot of personal, overwhelmingly unhappy memories I have from my childhood, but in lieu of sharing those and giving more ammo to mine enemies... I'll share this one.

When I was in 8th grade, twelve years old, I had just moved to the city and went into school when on the first day, this girl and her girl gang made fun of my shoes. They were just Nikes... no idea. Anyway, she and her friends constantly bothered and threatened me. I never did anything about it, 'cause back then I was very quiet and bookish (still bookish, not as quiet.)

But one day, I stayed late after school for band practice. I walked out of the school building to wait for my mother to pick me up, and as I was walking, I was reading one of my favorite books. The girls, plus one of their bigger, high school brothers, were sitting out there as well.

One of them spit Coke and ice at me as I walked by and I was outraged that she got it all over my book! I love my books. There's hardly anything I love more than a book. I grabbed her by the collar and pulled her to her feet and started screaming in her face, "Don't you ever fucking do that again!" And then I punched her and started kicking her when she fell down.

The other girls and the brother bore me down on my face on the sidewalk. The brother sat on my back with his feet on each of my wrists to hold me down. Each of the girls took turns pulling back one of my fingers until it broke.

I was lucky to get away with just that, I guess. But that started a looooooong school career of fights. I can honestly say I didn't win much, and I wish I'd not spent my teenage years like that.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 02:38 AM
*hugs Dex* I got away with murder usually by being a funny arsehole. I was well liked by pretty much everyone, even if I thought they were bastards. I am glad I was born with the funny gene, as its saved me a good many times.

DCSL
09-12-2003, 02:40 AM
*hugs Dex* I got away with murder usually by being a funny arsehole. I was well liked by pretty much everyone, even if I thought they were bastards. I am glad I was born with the funny gene, as its saved me a good many times.

::Hugs!:: Heh, you're a lucky bastard. None of the popular people appreciated my humor, since it was mostly at their expense.

Betheny
09-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Most of my bad memories are attached to my post-18 life. They don't count.

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 02:57 AM
Yeesh, Dex! I would hope those kids were punished for what they did to you!

HarmNone

Tendarian
09-12-2003, 03:00 AM
I stubbed my foot on a bed post once when i was ten and it hurt like hell! Seriously i had a pretty good childhood and feel a 1000% more appreciative to my parents then i was before i read this thread.

DCSL
09-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Yeesh, Dex! I would hope those kids were punished for what they did to you!

HarmNone

Well... I didn't narc on them, although I should have. My mother knew I got my ass kicked but she couldn't get me to tell who did it. "I fell down" came to be the excuse I got for all my injuries that my mother saw. Although, when it was just a split lip, I could pass it off as a cold sore.

However, I did see two of them a year ago. They didn't recognize me but... they were both vastly overweight and each of them was taking care of three kids each. One had a guy hanging around but he wasn't helping at all with the children that were screaming at her.

I think I'm slightly better off now than they are and don't think I'm not grateful. On the upside, I can now escape from handcuffs with my incredibly flexible fingers.

Betheny
09-12-2003, 03:02 AM
I think I may have been an axe murderer as a pre-teen. But all I remember is blood and guts, nothing concrete...

DCSL
09-12-2003, 03:03 AM
Originally posted by Tendarian
I stubbed my foot on a bed post once when i was ten and it hurt like hell! Seriously i had a pretty good childhood and feel a 1000% more appreciative to my parents then i was before i read this thread.

Heh, that made me chuckle. Half of my childhood (at least!) I brought on myself. Thank your parents, definitely, but thank your wiser (than me) younger self too. ;)

[Edited on 9-12-2003 by DCSL]

HarmNone
09-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Tendarian

Heh. Tendarian, you sound like me. It does make one realize how lucky one is, eh?

HarmNone is very, very lucky

GSLeloo
09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
Getting the blame for everything. For the fact that my brother was teased at school, the fact that I made fun of him after getting bruises from him, the fact that he had issues with himself. Everything that happened was my fault and no matter what I said or the fact that he had started it first, I was the one who was to blame because silly me, I had friends and I was fine in school. I didn't have problems and I worked had at school and therefore everything was my fault. Ever notice that because you're the "good" child it's like giving your parents the permission to ignore you?
You aren't having problems and therefore you don't need attention unless it's to get blamed for something. Whatever! And if ANYONE shows this to my brother you are dead people.

StrayRogue
09-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Getting the blame for everything. For the fact that my brother was teased at school, the fact that I made fun of him after getting bruises from him, the fact that he had issues with himself. Everything that happened was my fault and no matter what I said or the fact that he had started it first, I was the one who was to blame because silly me, I had friends and I was fine in school. I didn't have problems and I worked had at school and therefore everything was my fault. Ever notice that because you're the "good" child it's like giving your parents the permission to ignore you?
You aren't having problems and therefore you don't need attention unless it's to get blamed for something. Whatever! And if ANYONE shows this to my brother you are dead people.

Were you the oldest or youngest?

Weedmage Princess
09-12-2003, 07:01 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to read all this stuff.

I am pretty thankful to my mom and grandparents..I had a wonderful childhood. They were strict, but they loved me lots...spoiled me rotten.

Like Maimara, my life took a turn for the worse when I turned 18 and went with my rebellious streak. Heh.

Betheny
09-12-2003, 07:02 PM
We can just sit around Weedmage, and watch everyone work out their problems from childhood, while we create and/or try to deal with our own.

"On the next Jerry Springer..."

LOL!

GSLeloo
09-12-2003, 07:14 PM
I was the youngest. My brother was the oldest.

Praefection
09-13-2003, 04:59 AM
You know it's hearing stories like these that can really make a person relate to one another no matter our ages, races or anything else. I had a horrid childhood with an alcoholic dad until my mother finally divorced him when I was in the 4th grade. But, by that time I was really messed up emotionally as my mother wasn't around and my dad was mentally abusive. There are large spaces that are blank to me, mostly before I turned 7 and moved to Montana without my dad. Of course he soon followed and life was back to normal.

I think one of the worst things that I do recall was what made my mother leave my dad, for that time to come back up here. I guess he was beating on her, drunk off his ass and I was maybe 6 years old having to watch that abuse. Or another great memory. I know how little kids are pretty much taught about Santa from an early age and most figure it out on their own. I think I was 5ish on Christmas Day and my dad was drunk (no suprise) and once we were all done opening our gifts he told me that there is no Santa. All I really remember about that day was being in tears and shock... it was one of the more traumatic things I recall about my childhood but I could go on and on with stories like that.

I guess I have to be grateful that I was able to survive and still come out semi-sane due to counseling and understanding that people really *do* care about each other. It makes me have a lot more respect for another human being because hey, I was there too.

Enough sappy crap for now.
~Theresa

Adhara
09-13-2003, 05:44 AM
I've had a great childhood. The best family in the world, the greatest friends and teachers... No me, my nightmare started at 18 and is still going. The sudden death of the person I loved the most in the world left a wound that never heals.

They say time heals everything. Many years later, I look at myself and the rest of my family. Time has healed nothing. It has merely taught us how to survive with the pain.

Miss X
09-13-2003, 01:10 PM
I don’t know if this was shown on the news in the U.S. but over here a teenage boy was just jailed for forcing a baby to smoke cannabis, and punching and dropping the baby repeatedly. I am seriously in shock that anyone is that twisted. Ugh, I just hope that the baby is found a nice new home with people that will give it the love and care it deserves.
V.x

Notsosweet
09-13-2003, 02:17 PM
My worst childhood memory ..well thats easy . It was Christmas and my family and i had just moved to CA. My dad finally had a good job and my mom had finished school and this was suppost to be a great Christmas ! Well no of course not..We awoke in the middle of the night to the blaring of the smoke alarm and our house engulfed in flames. My parents and I got out ok but everything we owned was destroyed. I hate fire to this day. And i doubt i will ever sleep again on Christmas eve.

09-13-2003, 02:22 PM
Well i don't feel like regaling all my horrific childhood experiences, but i'll share my best. When i was 17 i broke my fathers Jaw on mothers Day. That was by far the most defining moment in my life.

Warriorbird
09-13-2003, 02:29 PM
Carrying, with a friend, another kid at camp down a mountain. He's slipped while hiking and slashed the entire back of his lower leg open. I was just horrified. We'd gotten very seperated from the counselors and new we had to get him some sort of medical attention. In retrospect, it wasn't really that far...but it seemed like forever, because we were ahead of everyone else and missed them on the way back down the mountain. I did what I could to hold his leg shut until we got to the camp nurse and we two person carried him bleeding all the way to her. It was really truly horrifying. I think it truly hit home when we saw the trail he'd left.

Other horrifying childhood experiences? Being stuck in a small sailing school boat out near one of the "cribs" (water treatment facilities) in Chicago during a massive lightning storm with a torn sail. The waves were huge and lightning kept striking all over the area.