PDA

View Full Version : Arthritic Tumors?

Hips
01-13-2005, 12:23 AM
This might seem like an odd question... but can any of you tell me exactly what an arthritic tumor is, how you get one, how serious they are, etc.?

I tried googling it, but nothing that explained it clearly came up. I only ask because my father just found out this weekend that he has one in his wrist... currently waiting on his doctor to tell us exactly what the x-rays showed. :/

So, yeah. If any of you can shed some light on this for me, thanks.

HarmNone
01-13-2005, 12:38 AM
I've never heard of an arthritic tumor, Michiko. I think rheumatoid arthritis can cause little lumps around joints, but I'm not sure that's what's being talked about here.

*Edited because Michiko is NOT Leloo. Okay...brain fart! Thanks, Adry! :D *

[Edited on 1-13-2005 by HarmNone]

Chadj
01-13-2005, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by HarmNone
I've never heard of an arthritic tumor, Leloo. I think rheumatoid arthritis can cause little lumps around joints, but I'm not sure that's what's being talked about here.

Sorry Michiko, much like Miss X here, I havn't heard of it either..

Sorry to hear that though. :(

[Edited on 1-13-2005 by Chadj]

01-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Arthritis *is* an inflamation, so it's understandable that if left untreated, at least in some instances, DNA could form dimers, anti-oncogens could be effected by inflamation, wacked out TNF-a levels, etc.

Strangely, a selective google and pubmed search yielded no results for "arthritic cancer" :?: Although I did find out that more than 100 symptoms can erupt from having common arthritis... even lupus. Weird man.

Sorry about that wretched news too.

HarmNone
01-13-2005, 12:59 AM
Heee, Chadj! :rofl:

HarmNone
01-13-2005, 01:01 AM
Just for information, the vast majority of "growths" on and about the wrist/hand area are ganglion cysts, which are benign.

01-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Uh, Michiko, did you hear if it was a metastasis or benign?

01-13-2005, 05:28 AM
I have arthritis in my wrist. It blows hard

Tsa`ah
01-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by RangerD1
I have arthritis in my wrist. It blows hard

Be thankful it didn't make you go blind.

Hips
01-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
Uh, Michiko, did you hear if it was a metastasis or benign?

All we know is that he has the tumor in his wrist, hence why I'm asking, 'cause I'm going to be worried until we find out. :/

01-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Be thankful it didn't make you go blind.

^

My eyesight has been rapidly deteriorating. Should i be worried?

Tsa`ah
01-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Stop punishing your monkey so much.

01-13-2005, 03:59 PM
not my fault I've broken my hand\wrist half a dozen times.

HarmNone
01-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Damn, RangerD! That's some spunky monkey you got there!

HarmNone, on the run

Jazuela
01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I did a quickie search (yeah I'm the google queen, shaddup) and found this:

http://www.arthritis.org/research/bulletin/vol51no7/printable.htm

It's a lot of medical jargon, and I had to look up a lot of the words, but in layman's terms, I -think- it comes down to this:

Cytokenes are an important part of the cellular structure of the body. Sometimes they go out of whack and you end up with bone problems. Some of those bone problems involve spontaneous cellular restructure. Tumors are also spontaneous cellular restructure. Ergo - your doctor might have erroneously called a cytokine "problem" a "tumor." I suppose in a manner of speaking, a cytokine abnormality -could- be cellularly identical to a tumor.

Remember also - there are such things as "fatty tumors" that people get all the time, and they are not cancerous at all. Tumor doesn't mean cancer. It just means abnormal growth. Only malignant tumors are cancer. All other tumors are - not cancer. Fatty tumors can hinder movement, and press on nerves and cause pain, but they're not cancerous, and often will dissolve on their own without any medical assistance.

That has no bearing on "arthritic tumor" though, since I doubt you'd form a fatty tumor on a bone. It's probably just an abnormal growth of bone formed by some imbalance in those cytokine structures. And if that's the case, it will probably not "do" anything, positive or negative. It's kinda like saying "Oh - she has a fingernail on her pinky." Know what I mean?

In any case, I'd go to the doctor and ask him for an explanation of the term, and some reference where you can look it up for yourself.

And stop being such a worry wart.